Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
gently caress the Cowboys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
:jpmf: is fine

Sometimes I ramble about live music or Star Wars or other poo poo I like when it comes up, but that’s just me liking that poo poo a lot. Sometimes it’s a much needed and unifying “gently caress the Cowboys”.

:feelsgood:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Freaquency posted:

Remember when Mel was the top poster in the chat thread for the year even after he excommunicated himself in like September?

You’re fine.

I think that happened with Chiche too

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Shinji2015 posted:

And now I'm quoting you!

And I you! :regd08:

If we’re gonna cross forum gimmicks, May the fourth be with you today, my good goon.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
33, single, no prospects, lovely job, highly unlikely to ever have kids and not motivated to do so anyway.

Being an uncle or older cousin is cool.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I want a cat and/or a dog and a place big enough to have a small office and/or library set up and can’t do any of that in my current mediocre apartment

For better content, one I know this thread always needs and appreciates, here’s a picture of my aunt and cousins dogs from New Years Eve

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I’ve avoided the flu and COVID this holiday season, but I’ve been dealing with respiratory and inner ear infections off and on for a month (On a second round of antibiotics now as everything came back a week after I stopped the first ones) and they can gently caress off.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

seiferguy posted:

I've had like 3 or 4 ear infections in my left ear last year. I can still feel pressure in it (which is causing a mild side headache) and had it checked. Went to the doctor, and they said it didn't look infected. There are ear drops you can get that help. But problem is all doctors around here have like a 7 hour wait for urgent care :(

Yeah, every trip to the urgent care around the corner was 2-3 hours of waiting to be seen. My ear drums were inflamed and swollen, and it was making my neck (Thyroid or something?) swell as well to the point I almost couldn’t swallow. Second batch of antibiotics have my ears feeling better, but my neck is still a bit sore at times, and I’m curious how things will go once I’m off them, as last time I finished the antibiotics, felt improvement but not truly better, and like a week later I was back at the Urgent Med.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I briefly mentioned in the last chat thread around Christmas that I'd be going to Cleveland in a few weeks, but forgot to ask if anyone has any general recommendations for stuff to do or see. My brother and I are taking my dad up there to see my cousin's son play in a youth hockey tournament, and other than wanting to visit the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and a trip to the Pro Football Hall of Fame (Both of which I know you need to get tickets for in advance), don't have anything in particular planned yet. Not sure of the timing of everything yet, but any ideas or recommendations around or near that stuff would be helpful.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Bird in a Blender posted:

Here is Bird in a Blender's unofficial guide to Cleveland:

First, the Rock Hall is fine to visit once, but it's a little overpriced, and it's mostly memorabilia. So if you're into that, it's pretty cool. In my opinion, it's nice to do once and never bother again, although they are expanding soon.

Free things to do in Cleveland:
The Cleveland Museum of Art is nice, not usually crowded, and a decent size, but not huge. You can see most of it in a couple of hours, and they do have some nice collections and I think at least one special exhibit going on. Very nice building.
Lake View Cemetery is close to the Museum of Art. Lots of old rich people buried here with some impressive head stones. President Garfield and his wife are buried here as well, but it looks like the monument is temporarily closed. You can drive through or take a walk.
Westside Market is a large market with tons of food purveyors. It's a very nice big open building and there's a mix of things like butchers, European import places, restaurants, and a big produce only building. Good for a stroll around, or you can pick up some snacks or lunch.
You can also drive by the Christmas Story House. You can go in too, but I don't think it's worth it. This is the house that was used for all the exterior shots, but they renovated the inside to make it look like the actual house. Lots of exterior shots were done in Cleveland, like in Public Square.

Food and drink- Cleveland has pockets of really busy areas, and then there are kind of large dead zones in between. For beer, I recommend going to Ohio City, which is also where the Westside Market is located. There are a ton of bars and restaurants all clustered around W 25th St. and Lorrain including Great Lakes Brewing. There's also Hansa, a German beer focused brewery, Market Garden, and Nano Brew for brewpubs, plus several other large bars. I liked Nano and Great Lakes the best, Hansa opened right after I moved out, so I don't know how good that is, but the store attached to it was there first and was excellent.

Porco Lounge is a Tiki bar that's pretty good, but kind of all by itself. Personally, I'd stay away from Velvet Tango Room, they have good cocktails, but way overpriced.

For coffee, my wife loved Phoenix Coffee Company, there are a few around the city.

Mitchell's ice cream is the most popular ice cream spot in the city, and it is very good. Mason's Creamery is a small place and a little more experimental, but I didn't think their ice cream was as good as Mitchell's.

Tremont, E. 4th St., and Gordon Square are also good spots with a ton of restaurants. These are my favorite places to eat in no particular order.
Toast - Wine bar with a small selection of good food.
Happy Dog - Hot dog joint and bar, customize your dog anyway you want it. Also has shows on various days.
Prosperity Social Club - Good all around American food.
Citizen Pie - Pizza place with three different locations. The one on E 4th is slices of sicilian style, the other two are Neapolitan style. Very good, my favorite pizza in Cleveland.
Butcher and Brewer - Large place on E. 4th with good beer. Small plate style, so go there and order a bunch of different stuff to share.
Dave's Cosmic Subs - Local sub chain if you want something quick and causal.
Johnny's - There's Johnny's Little Bar, which is around the corner from the main restaurant downtown. The main restaurant is kind of a classic Italian joint, while the Little Bar is more casual with good burgers.
Momocho - Upscale Mexican
Heck's - Good burgers and general American fare.
Slyman's Deli - Classic deli joint with humongous corned beef sandwiches.

Since you're going in winter, this doesn't apply as much, but the county has a string of nice large parks that surround the city, referred to as the Green Belt. Rocky River Reservation, North Chagrin, and Garfield Park are nice. If you're willing to drive a little bit, Cuyahoga Valley National Park is like 45 minutes south of the city and has some nice hiking.

There is also Playhouse Square, which is the second largest theater district in the country after Broadway in NYC. If you'd like to see a show, check out all the theaters and see what they have.

That's all I got for now. If I think of anything else, I'll post again.

Thanks!

For the Rock Museum, I know my Dad will get a kick out of a lot of the memorabilia (Hell, I probably will too), and I have an absolutely perfect shirt to wear there:

Context for those who don't know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px57H2bX9HI&t=253s

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Third trip to the urgent med in less than a month with inner ear infection/badly swollen thyroid fuuuuuuuck

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

swickles posted:

I feel like you need a trip to an ENT.

That and I need to find a new primary as my last one was pretty mediocre, so I didn’t even go last year at all

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Update: I somehow was mixing up my thyroid with my lymph nodes, not sure how that happened (I didn’t take anatomy and just knew both are neck area). Waiting on a throat culture test thingy to see if the antibiotics I got last week just weren’t working, but my ears and chest are clear now…

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

swickles posted:

Did they check to see if your spleen was palpable? You could have something in the mono/CMV family.

No. They checked my ears, which were no longer inflamed, and said my chest sounded better/clearer. They said the lymph nodes swelling isn’t unusual for this, might have just been a bit more than normal for me and it’s not something I can recall ever happening much in my life (Certainly not this badly or frequently), so I didn’t really have a clue what to do about that (Or even what it was :rolleye:). The last of the antibiotics they gave me last week still have like 2-3 days more to go, so they said keep doing that regime cause by the time that’s done, they should have the throat swab results back. Also, simple stuff like more rest, more water, extra vitamins, usual stuff like that.

So, I’ve got the rest of today off, and since my boss won’t be in tomorrow, I’ll either stay home or go on and take it stupid easy for a little bit, and then I’m already off on Monday, so I hopefully all that poo poo helps…

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Android Apocalypse posted:

I don't think I have the ability to listen to Katt or Shannon talk for almost 3 hours.

That’s how Caro got the $50 million

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Pron on VHS posted:

Same but Band of Brothers. Lone flaw is Jimmy Fallon

Band of Brothers is great for a lot of "Oh yeah, that guy is in it for a minute" moments, including Tom Hardy's rear end, but the Fallon one will always be the most hilarious.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Pron on VHS posted:

I like how the actors who play Malarkey and Guarnere both show up in Justified

And the actor who plays Malarkey is also the voice of Steve Smith on American Dad, which I didn’t realize until like 4 or 5 years ago.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

James McAvoy too. Gets got as one of the new guys.

Simon Pegg is one of the NCOs in the first episode who goes down in one of the C-47s on D-Day.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

kiimo posted:

I have never seen Band of Brothers

Never saw Band of Brothers.

FYI it's on Netflix now and it's only a 10-episode miniseries. It's extremely good and rolls along very quickly.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
It’s like something left over from a cancelled Star Wars show

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I finally put a ring on it!

I'm just in it for the passport ;)

Welcome on the sinking ship!

Shrimpy posted:

Someone Photoshop his avatar in place of the headshot.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 9, 2024

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Happy birthday, SB! I will continue to assume that since you share the same birthday as my grandmother, you are also turning 97 today.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

a sexual elk posted:

He was playing the same dude in Generation Kill and it was one of the best parts haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBtg3fSQ-QQ

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Pron on VHS posted:

People really think Generation Kill (which was good) is better than Band of Brothers? Maybe I have the soul of a boomer

I wouldn’t say it’s better than Band of Brothers, which from a narrative view start to finish is excellent and is much easier for people to get into if they aren’t history nerds or read the book, but I very much enjoyed Generation Kill too.

The Pacific is probably the weakest of those shows, simply because of how it jumps around and doesn’t focus on a single unit in the same way, so the cast rotates more and it’s a bit more difficult to get into, but it’s still really great and in particular the three episodes about Peleliu are outstanding.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

this is the face of a man trying to figure out if he just poo poo his pants

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I made someone mad, I guess.

Ralph is great, but there are so many better quotes of his.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Good god I remember the discussion that tweet prompted :barf:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Silly Burrito posted:

It's getting cold around here but I've heard other places have had two feet of snow.

glorious :dadjoke:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

GD_American posted:

Meet Henry James. He is so stinkin' cute.

I want to hug him :kimchi:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

Back in my day the school year just had a few days built in. But yeah, miss enough and schools add an extra week or whatever at the end. Always fun for seniors who super don't care by that point.

Florida used to do something similar for days missed for hurricanes. They'd change the half-days or teacher work days to normal school days to make up, and if somehow that wasn't enough, they'd tack on more at the end of the year. I think we only had that one time when I went to school, 2005-06, when we lost 2 full weeks to Hurricane Wilma alone plus other days from other storms.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Joey Freshwater posted:

Lookit dis Good Boy

That good boy looks like he need some head scratches :3:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Silly Burrito posted:

.....no no, you misunderstood, i said she was loving Goofy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_xyGrOmhXg

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Outlook is a piece of poo poo software and I hate it!

:same:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Just got told at work I’m being switched from salary back to hourly and I’m loving pissed off. Same pay rate, but now instead of getting all my PTO on my date of hire, it accrues every paycheck, which means come March when I hit my 3 years with the company, instead of getting all 80 hours of PTO back for the next year, I’ll have at best like 18~ hours. It’s all our new loving manager and I can’t wait to either transfer to another department or just quit this loving place (The latter becoming the more likely/attractive offer by the day - I’ve started putting in elsewhere but I’ve got enough saved up I can just leave if I wanted to, but I’d rather have something else lined up).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I hate that kind of poo poo!!! Gahhhh gently caress that manager.

What’s the level of difficulty of transferring to a different team/department?

How’s your industry looking? Stable enough that getting into a different company should be relatively accessible?

I keep seeing headlines about some tech companies slowing down hiring but idk if that’s true or just clickbaity headlines. Other industries like accounting, oil&gas, insurance, etc., seem to be doing alright.

Transferring to another department is basically like going through the hiring process for a new job, since I’d be going to a different role. Since I’m internal, I’d potentially get an edge over outside hires, but it depends on the specific role. I’d already tried twice in the past, once got turned down because I didn’t have the specific experience they wanted (Which was expected but disappointing) and the other got shelved until the new budget takes effect whenever that was. There’s one or two others I’m looking into, but it’s not a quick or easy thing, sadly. I’m also already looking external as well, but that’s a whole other can of worms.

For what my company does, the industry is actually great. We’re one of the biggest in the world in our specialized area and hit a billion dollars in sales last year, growing a ton…

…But it goes back primarily to the aforementioned idiot manager and to a lesser extent, the VP of the department above her. Short version is the manager has been here since 11/2022, and the new VP came along back in 6/2023. Despite all the growth our company has had, while every other department has considerably increased in size, our headcount hasn’t changed in 18 months and the people the manager has hired have been uniformly poo poo. The VP is remote, works out of one of the companies we actually acquired, so he’s only in our office 3-4 days every 3~ weeks or so, meaning he simply isn’t here to see the day to day poo poo going on, and based on my conversations with him, I have low expectations anyway.

Going to another department would be my best option, since a lot of the poo poo is solely due to the manager doing poo poo crap that nobody else does. Going to another company in the same industry would be tricky since I don’t think most of the others are based down here.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The secret is to get into the start up life. They are always dumb enough to be hiring because Capital XYZ Injection is at 5000% or whatever the bullshit is that day.

I was at Chewy at the tail end of their start up phase and it was loving amazing and a great place at the time. Within 6 months of them going public, it became awful.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Braksgirl posted:

Head and Shoulders is extremely drying so you gave yourself dry scalp by using it when you don't have dandruff. Most people who think they have dandruff just have dry scalp anyway and if they would just use a moisturizing shampoo and a separate moisturizing conditioner it would solve the problem. Head and Shoulders just makes the problem worse. A sulfate free shampoo also helps. Clarifying shampoos also strip hair of moisture so those should be avoided as well.

Quoting this so I can find it when I’m home, cause I need to find a new shampoo lol

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Hell of an AV/youtube thumbnail combo here

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Staying with a friend in St. Louis and they got a new 9-month old dog with the whippets tail. She hit me in the right eye with it while sitting on the couch.

Cricket now giving me the side-eye before I go to bed.

Cricket wants some of the emergency wings you have packed away.

Also please pet Cricket for me.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Braksgirl posted:

Perhaps you can tell me what this is used for.

:drugnerd: probably

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

a neat cape posted:

I wish high schools would teach more about WW1

I learned more about World War I listening to Iron Maiden than I did in high school. Pretty sure Paschendale is longer than the time we spent on the war in class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfA3FlZ6u2Q

For World War II, we talked about it for like maybe an hour, which included watching the Omaha Beach scene from Saving Private Ryan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
On the subject of WWI, I read Poilu last summer after it had been highly recommended by the MilHist thread for years. It was extremely good and lived up to the reputation.