Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
For some reason I thought the summer Olympics were going to be in LA, but it doesn't matter. The Olympics are fantastic and I am excited for all the new.sports this year plus the dozens of other great ones returning.

Skateboarding was so awesome last time, I wonder what will blow my mind this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

T-Square posted:

I was pretty annoyed the way the game forces you to *gasp* stealth kill a couple people, and then is immediately like “wow you dishonorable piece of poo poo smh”

Especially since the cinematics didn't match the gameplay - I walked in the front door yelling challenges for 99% of the game

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Smoking Crow posted:

posters of tff i come to you with a problem: a football e/n

so my dad is a huge steelers fan. he loves the steelers. i would talk to him about the steelers before but not in any detail since i quit watching football like ~10 years ago. now that i've gotten fully back into it with this lions team, i've been talking to him more and more about football bc it's something that we can talk about and not have it go into angry shouting or whatever. except that he won't shut up about how much he wants mike tomlin fired. every game he tells me about how this is the one where tomlin loses and finally gets canned. he begs and pleads for the steelers to lose so he can have a losing season and get fired. he tells me about how he wants tj watt to be traded to a better team so he can be rewarded with a super bowl that he will never get in pittsburgh under mike t

what do i do? how do i convince him that losing tomlin won't make your qb room any better? how do i get him to talk about literally anything else about the steelers except mike tomlin jesus christ
Tell him rooting for losing is for loser franchises, now great ones like the Steelers

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
When I was going to the hospital a lot to see my mom a few months ago, the basement cafeteria had a double smashburger w/ cheese, onion, pickle, tomato, lettuce, all for a whopping $4.30 or so. It was hard not to order it every day while they grilled it in front of me.

They also had an egg wrap that was avocado, chorizo, chipotle mayo etc that clocked in at 1100 calories for $3.49. Never ordered it but should have.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
The love for DD mystifies me. I think it's one of those games you had to have been there for when it came out. It's really obtuse and not that fun. I say this as someone who absolutely loves 3rd person combat games like the niohs, monster hunters, Yakuzas, horizon etc

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Rectal Placenta posted:

Yesterday we were forecasted to get 6-12" of snow, but instead it just rained all day and I had to shovel an inch of slush off my driveway

Same. I am insanely bummed. I got my kid a sled for Christmas and he hasn't gone sledding in two years now. Hoping this weekend delivers with predicted cold snap + more snow for real this time

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
We have remote learning today instead of a fun snow day AND it's probably going to just rain since I'm close to the lake in Chicagoland

My poor kid will never get the joy of a true snow day

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Thaddius the Large posted:

Can’t remember if I’ve crowdsourced this in here, but my kid had a class project a while back where everyone is randomly assigned on of the states to do a report on, and she got South Dakota, which has now instilled an interest in her to visit this summer, but not with any more idea of what to actually visit there. Off the top of my head there’s Mt Rushmore, the Crazy Horse monument, the Corn Palace, and gently caress all else to do. Anybody got some great South Dakota vacation thoughts?

You can do a pretty neat loop of Badlands, devil's tower, jewel cave national monument, crazy horse, mt Rushmore, Custer state park, and wind cave natl park.

Jewel cave has an absolutely insane tour I did not do where you have to fit through a 24 inch by 8.5 inch opening, and had a little concrete block to try it out on outside. I started panicking just looking at it
Here's a bad pic I took of the sign a decade ago. Sadly all the tours were booked up, but I did do one at wind cave

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 12, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

ozymandius1024 posted:

I don't think anyone is going to beat knowing a serial killer :lol:

I went to middle school with one, but she "only" killed her infants over the course of years and drove around with their skeletons in her car trunk

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Bird in a Blender posted:

Katie Stockton?

Yes. I've probably geolocated myself considering our grade school was tiny. She was a mean girl in 6-8th grade iirc.

Also, I went to high school with Danica Patrick who was a year younger than me and a complete jerk

But this doesn't compare to the goon with his dad hanging out with killers

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Do you folks love or hate when video games have long cutscenes?

I love those 4 hour long nonsensical Kojima cutscene.

When done right they're incredible. Yakuza is the king of this. A lot of cutscenes you can skip through voiced dialogue as you read, then a REAL cutscene with better graphics comes on, shirts get ripped off and you're ready to throw down

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

GD_American posted:

Meet Henry James. He is so stinkin' cute.

Goodness gracious

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

LeeMajors posted:

My daughter talked me into downloading Minecraft so she could play a bit easier (she’s been playing World of Cubes on her tablet) and I’m pretty sure I’m straight up going to lose many hours of my life tunneling deep into the earth like a goddamned Tolkienesque dwarf.

I let my kid get it this Christmas on his iPad and I'm not sure what the hell he's doing in it. He wants a bunch of mods too that cost $$$ , no thanks.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Ether Frenzy posted:

I have no idea what our high school syllabus was about but I still know about The Holocaust. Partly because the information was all sorts of present before right wing governments hid it and slavery due to "woke". Also partly because it's the Mother loving Holocaust, bruh.

Also Bruce Dickinson and his wife at the time (now deceased) came to my wedding since he was friends with my wife, his cousin Rob (lead singer of Catherine Wheel) founded Singer Porsche and wrote 3 of their songs about my (previously mentioned) wife. I've ridden in Singer #1 multiple times, it's now in the basement of the Petersen Museum.

If the curriculum insists, I will forget all of it

Did they request their own music at your wedding?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

pmchem posted:

i’m near the end. they appear to have found a frictionless vault. this is hilarious

It is a very, very fun movie, and they continue to be excellent until Paul Walker's death a few years ago. I still watch the newer ones but not as impressed with them.

The only franchise I enjoy as much in the same way is the Pathaan/War/Tiger SRK stuff out of Bollywood.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Joey Freshwater posted:

I was looking for a movie to watch last night and coming up empty so I looked at IMDB’s top 250 for ideas.

#1 is Shawshank - fine, awesome movie, seen it tons of times and it’s just as good every time.

#2 Godfather - sure why not classic film

#3 Dark Knight - …..huh? I like TDK but, top 3 all time??

Here, use this list instead (replace Winter Soldier with Edge of Tomorrow, but otherwise you can pretty much go top down)
https://filmschoolrejects.com/best-action-movies-decade/5/

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I just rewatched Edge of Tomorrow last night. Still rules.

It's a lot of fun. I watched most of it a few months ago after powering through a pretty rough Park Chan-Wook (lady vengeance) and needed something pleasant and familiar. Just kept watching more and more scenes in it.

That list is in ranked order so it's really weird they dropped the ball on that specific movie.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Kalli posted:

Man, I love Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. The scene with the parents and the videos is one of the most intense scenes I've sat through in any movie

I have a 7 year old and could barely get through it. Sometimes Korean culture mystifies me, especially their love of dead kids in cinema.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 31, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

a neat cape posted:

Infinite Wealth owns so much

Ichiban is such a wholesale idiot

I just got it last night and hoo boy chapter 1 is rough emotionally on my sweet dumb boy.

I do like that combat is a bit better than y7 and falls firmly in "good enough" territory.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Boy, this explains a lot.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Qwijib0 posted:

That was a neat strategy

Yeah, it's smart for a few reasons even if the other skaters don't brain fart. Presumably you can draft in the back, so you can recover energy a bit. But also, there's that famous race where everyone fell over but the guy in the back who cruised to gold. So if she just hangs in back in first she either wins if they don't push (as seen) or she wins if they push too hard and all wipe out.

The other comparison is the chase mentality in these sports - it happened in women's cycling in Rio. One lady who wasn't highly ranked took off early and no one would chase her, because whoever chased would wear themselves out and lose. So the whole group just sat 10 minutes back or whatever it was until they all lost. It was really weird
Edit
https://velo.outsideonline.com/2021/07/anna-kiesenhofer-takes-surprise-victory-in-tokyo-olympic-road-race/
Tokyo, not too

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Old ACT memories: I missed two questions about trapezoids. I'm still mad. gently caress trapezoids

Bluesky is aggressively mediocre. There's no video, so no quick sports highlights, which was like 98% of what I used twitter for.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Canned Sunshine posted:

I had to pay around $400 last fall for my annual exam because my PCP’s office got bought by Optum, and there was a brief window in which it wasn’t “In Network” as a result, so BCBS rejected the claim. gently caress this system.

I once got a physical on my birthday and the doctors office entered the date of visit as my bday, essentially saying I was a zero day old baby. No big deal

Months later, blue cross demanded payment because I had "tried to sneak another person onto my plan." I explained what happened, they demanded I go back to the doctor and do some faxes and I told them to shove off because they could simply use my correct birthday info from literally every other visit.

Months after that I got collections calls. I started yelling that I would immediately accept service of a lawsuit and file some counterclaims so they couldn't dismiss and I looked forward to them explaining to a judge how they decided it was realistic that a baby was 20 times the normal weight and however much taller,let alone cholesterol tests and whatnot. They stopped calling after that

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

General Dog posted:

Why doesn’t she use the sword way earlier

Freud can explain this one quite easily

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

FizFashizzle posted:

Actual movies on streaming platforms are loving dire.

I have a huge list of what I want to watch on the Justwatch website, but honestly the best thing about streaming platforms are huge amounts of international action movies. I can probably feast happily forever on what's just currently in production, and none of these would ever be on a big screen in America so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

It's shockingly hard to narrow down the trash though so I pretty much just follow like 10-20 guys who put out consistently good work.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Shinji2015 posted:

lol

I mean, if we can get a good live action version of One Piece, a good live action Naruto isn't impossible

I haven't seen the one piece thing but the Kenshin movies are incredibly good. I never looked at the manga or the cartoon for it , and just started with Kenshin beginnings on Netflix to find out it's the best choreographed swordplay movie out there

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

a sexual elk posted:

She’s been making bank off Ninja Turtle beanies, last 2 commissions brought in around $300 bucks, a fool and his nostalgia are easily seperated

Er monetized

That rules, can you post some pics of the ninja turtle beanies?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Kalli posted:

Mom needed a blood transfusion so is still in chemo after 8 hours today so we're now eating Chinese takeout in an infusion center and making some nurses hungry.

You sound pretty positive for a really difficult situation, nice work.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

swickles posted:

How do EVs fair in the cold? We didn't get below zero this year, but we did hit single digits for a week or so and its not uncommon to have stretches even colder.

Also, my electrical panel is basically maxed out with no free slots, so I would need to upgrade that as well, which I think I need to do anyway.

I've told this story a lot, but I rented a Tesla model 3 last year that purportedly had a heat pump for cold weather. I'm in a suburb north of Chicago and was driving 140 miles south to see my mom.

It was a balmy 40F so I figured all was well, but I struggled with the interface and my phone was almost dead since my charger didn't plug into the Tesla (it had the newer same end on both side thing)
Anyways, for much of the pure interstate drive, we had to stay below 70mph and put the heat at 60F, making my kid complain about cold, because the nearly new Tesla couldn't make it 140 miles otherwise. Range was cut in half from listed, essentially.

Finally we managed to find the only superchargers between Chicago and Champaign (a big ten town so not nowhere) and got things sorted. Had to charge I think 3 times that trip, ended up costing as much or more than gas would have. And each charge was like 15-20 minutes, exactly the wrong amount of time (too slow for a gas station break, too fast for something like seeing a movie).

An all around awful experience, I'm sure many people road trip their EVs, I have friends who do, but I question why anyone would do it, especially with kids.

Basically the range sucks at freeway speeds on a car that's faster than anything from the 1980s-90s, the range sucks if it isn't 70F, and this was with no elevation whatsoever.

I'd love to have a 3 car household like I remember growing up - a cheap beater work truck, an around town car (ev), etc. But those vehicles don't exist and yearly fees/insurance make that pretty untenable too.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do when our current cars give out - family drives 5k miles a year but we often use both cars at the same time. I'd love an EV for all the short trips but they aren't making sub 10k ones.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 4, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Thaddius the Large posted:

Huh, TIL there’s two Brits named Brian Cox in the public eye, one an actor one a physicist, I was only familiar with the former

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cox_(actor)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cox_(physicist)

This whole time I was thinking of Bears legend Bryan Cox

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Amy Pole Her posted:

BEARS legend? Lmao

If you’re a bears poster I apologize for the obvious joke

I looked up his career and honestly thought he was on the bears for like ten years. I think it was just me starting to watch them right when he got signed and thinking the head pad thing was badass

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
It's too bad Nikola was run by either incompetents or outright scam artists, because hydrogen trucks driving around Europe with fueling stations on the main routes made a lot of sense. I guess the capital outlay is too much for something that speculative.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh for sure, but I meant literally.

Like it looks like an episode of Babylon 5.

Now I want to watch it!
And heck, I liked the first one quite a bit despite an overwhelming CGI fight at the end. Had a lot of good character moments and actual emotions.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Air Skwirl posted:

I mean, look up how many Jack Reacher books there are.
Or Mathew Scudder or Sherlock Holmes. You find a voice you're good at writing and a genre you're good at writing and you just sorta stick with it.

I was curious if Rowling had the record for most books sold and looked up a list. #1 was Shakespeare, but Agatha Christie was tied with him which was pretty impressive. Absolutely dominating at a genre.

And #3 was some British lady who had written 700+ romance novels

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

3 DONG HORSE posted:

DS9 is so loving good I am ashamed I forgot about it. I have dishonored my family.

e: reminding myself I need to finish the first Stargate series. There's something wonderfully American about handing out P90s to native aliens that I just love.

I looked down on sg-1 back in the 90s and was a bab5/farscape/bsg guy, but got into stargate a few years back and realized just how wonderful it is to have mostly standalone episodes with callbacks every now and then. TV perfection for quite a lot of the run.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 6, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

General Dog posted:

Mike’s old as poo poo, this is likely to be a pretty sad exhibition.

Just pretend he's going to look like this despite a decade passing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhQsxcbo6gk

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

kiimo posted:

I will never forget watching the episode of Space Ghost with Thom Yorke and knifin around cut cut cut cut cut when I was just high to bejesus in college and laughing so hard I thought I injured my stomach

or Santa making bizarre and twisted toys out of human teeth for his own amusement.

or just...Bjork in general

Same. I didn't realize that the rest of the adult swim stuff only got rolling in 2021, since space ghost was so much earlier. I think I assumed I just didn't catch the first run ATHF / sealab 2021 stuff

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Bird in a Blender posted:

Tom Cruise feels like one of the last great all around actors, I'm not sure who out there can come close to replacing him. Maybe Ryan Gosling? Dude does a lot of different stuff, and is apparently one of the hardest working guys in show biz. I just ignore the scientology stuff, which frankly I forgot about. Is Scientology still on the rise? Seems like it had a moment like 10 years ago where it was really getting called out, and seemed like things got quiet since then.

I believe he's the last true Movie Star, especially with his action work. The successor to Harrison Ford, and he doesn't really have a successor. There's plenty of other huge named A-listers but usually they're attached to a big director name or project as well. Cruise gets people out there to see a movie because he's in it. Will Smith is really the only other guy I think of and I think his age caught up to him a bit more.

I talk about it a lot in the action thread, but it's kind of frustrating that incredible training+nutrition for so many stars have kept their careers going forever, while there's very little opportunity for young people to make big names for themselves in the same way and start building a legend.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Kalli posted:

Reminded of the herculean editing job done in Little Shop of Horrors to get Rick Moranis through a musical.

Rick Moranis had to lip synch at half speed to make Audrey II's movements look right when sped up. Please, no disparagement of the greatest Canadian in history.

And a ton of actors/actresses can't sing. Emma Stone was pretty bad in La La Land but it didn't really matter. I'm not going to see a movie expecting musical or opera level singing. It's a nice surprise when they can crush it though.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Neil Armbong posted:

I can't tell if we'll hit this with my son. He still seems to genuinely believe at 8. He asked for elf on a shelf but my wife and i never wanted to 1) have to move the elf and 2) have something that spies on the kiddo or to ever refer to santa in a way that's like, punitive.

My 8 year old is questioning it too, but his friends who tell him Santa isn't real also tell him they have telekinesis powers and whatnot so it's easy to keep him believing. I'll probably need to break it to him over the summer.