Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

shirts and skins posted:

if you think the change from potato to toddler is something, wait til you see the change from toddler to full on kid. my oldest turned 5 in September and she's like suddenly...a person. like, the hindbrain and forebrain stuff connected, she can reason through things, and she comes up with all kinds of amazing questions and ideas.

I can see why it's so easy for parents to think their little one is a genius. the process of mental development is astonishing to watch.

It's also crazy to watch in one kid vs another. At 2, my son spent all his time trying to learn his ABCs and numbers while my daughter could not give less of a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Hotel seems the least expensive (I could use airline miles of which I have an excess amount of), the biggest deterrent is having to fly to a nearby airport and driving it. No friends / family want to do it so it'd probably be a solo thing and yeah, not feeling that.

If you fly into another major city, see if there's an alumni group. Very possible there's a chartered bus someone's set up.

Not sure it's any more convenient than a multi-leg flight, but at least you might not have to drive.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

New one for me today, I’m sitting downstairs at Brak’s work, waiting for her to get done so we can catch our flight, and someone comes in with a live baby pelican in a ream of paper box. I guess it’s wounded? They’re calling LSU, and putting rocks on this box to keep him from leaving.

When they lift the box lid, the pelican is pecking to get out, I say let him out but I’m just a visitor here. :shrug:

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Air Skwirl posted:

In case anyone needed another reason to love the show Reacher and the actor in the titular part more.

https://twitter.com/Veeren_Jubbal/status/1743455628876456418?s=20

Give me a "hell"
Give me a "yeah"

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

GD_American posted:

Billy West (the Red M&M) explaining JK Simmons is the Yellow M&M

Learned something new today.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I finally put a ring on it!

I'm just in it for the passport ;)

Someone Photoshop his avatar in place of the headshot.

Shrimpy fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 9, 2024

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lmfao what the gently caress is this?

Trying to turn a tiny Twitter ad spend into a big NIL deal.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

If you're even considering traveling internationally, get Global Entry instead of Precheck. It's like a $22 difference and Global Entry includes Precheck.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Pain of Mind posted:

My wife and I make a decent amount of money, but we are in an odd place where we bought our house when markets were relatively down and have a low interest rate (2.6), but we have also outgrown our house. It does not make sense to buy a house where the monthly cost is 4x what our current place is just for 400 more sqft, but we also make much more money than is necessary to afford our current house so we are accruing a ton of money that is more than anything else would need, but still not enough for a nicer house (SF bay area prices go brrrrrrrrr). Just dragons sitting on a pile of gold at the moment.

Expansion is the way to go. We turned our 2bd/1ba into a 4bd/2ba in the Bay Area because the cost of just buying the 4/2 in the first place was outrageous.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Pain of Mind posted:

Just curious, how long ago did you do that and how much did it cost? Our house was originally a 2 bed 1 bath, a previous owner increased it to a 2 bed, 2 bath, 1 office, but the layout has a ton of wasted space because the previous owner was an idiot.

Part of the problem is we will not commit to either moving or remodeling. I think unless we come into a ton of money, if we chose to remodel it means we are never moving, so if we are still looking at other houses it means we cannot remodel because what if we want to buy one. I guess if we wait long enough while accruing money, eventually we could buy a house with a smaller mortage loan amount so the increased interest rate has less impact, but who knows how long that will take.

We did the construction in June through December(?) 2018. In the end, it was somewhere between 350k and 400k. My house was a split level with two bedrooms upstairs and then a lower floor that only had 6ft ceilings. To add the additional bedrooms and bathroom we actually dug down and turned it into a full height bottom floor. The other positive to going down, rather than up/out was we wound up with a completely new foundation which needed to be done anyway. We also worked with a full design + build firm which made the process easy, but not cheap.

The thing I'm most proud of is that the house is in a relatively historic neighborhood and we made all these changes without changing the look of the house from the street. The house next door is a mirrored layout, but there's no indication that my house is 25% bigger from the outside.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Pain of Mind posted:

From talking to people, prices have probably come up since then. I guess it also depends on what you get, if it costs 200-300k just to tack a room onto our house I would feel ripped off since we would still have the same poorly designed house, just with one extra room. If it costs a bit more than that but they completely gut the house and having everything working together nicely and not the 80 years of accumulated cruft then maybe it is worth it. Obviously need to talk to a contractor about those options and see what they come up with.

If you’re in the greater Oakland/Berkeley/East Bay Area, I’m happy to shoot you the name of the company we used over PM. We’ve done multiple projects with them, as have family members and friends.

They’re good about keeping the character of the original house (ours is 1930s) while fixing layout issues.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Bad Boys 2 was the most fun I've had in theaters.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

If you’re planning on flying out of SeaTac, get Clear + PreCheck because I’ve never seen an airport be as bad at pure Pre-Check as that one.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

That's what I was afraid of: Clear not being Pre-Check so you would need both to get the best pre-flight screening experience.

I guess I could get Global Entry but I'm a little :tinfoil: in terms of how much more info I want given to the government.

I said it earlier in the thread, but unless you're seriously hard up for money, you should get Global Entry instead of TSA Pre.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Man, can’t believe starving a beloved franchise for three decades, trampling every ounce of good will they’d earned by winning fairly consistently in spite of their lack of resources, and then moving them a town with no appetite or history for said franchise went over like a wet fart.

:rip: Oakland A’s, we had good times and I wish we could still be friends

When I moved to Oakland, I was very excited to have three professional, major sports teams to take my (then unborn) children to when they got old enough.

Anyway, Disney on Ice still runs here.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

TV is too high.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

fartknocker posted:

Go Kansas City Swifties

Kansas Swifty Chiefs

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

What are the chat thread recommended plug-in hybrid? I'm about to be in the market for a car and since 95% of my driving is < 30 miles they make the most sense.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

The Ferrari 296GTB (Base price: $338,255)

or did you have a price range in mind? probably a prius prime though, it's hard to beat a prius for value, performance, quality, value retention, utility, etc

Ferrari's probably out of the price range, but otherwise I'm so removed from car purchasing that pretty much any car is going to give me some level of sticker shock. Most of my driving is city driving so the big things are all around utility, safety, and reliability. Not worried about value retention since we'll probably keep whatever we buy until it's worthless. Probably needs to be SUV-ish.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

BlindSite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvwDen1Wrx8

Speaking of movies by directors who sometimes make people mad n sad. This kinda gets my dick hard.

I'm not big on The Witcher (just not my genre), but I appreciate Henry Cavill's dedication to taking on roles where he's "just having fun out there".

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

What was the RG3 permaban for anyway?

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Idris Elba be getting that :20bux: for saying one line in that ad.

I haven't seen the Sonic movies, so I can't talk to his performance in them, but Idris Elba is great in the Jungle Book remake. Just an all-star performance.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

I have an Apple Watch, but primarily just use it as a sleep tracker.

I think it has the worst user interface of any device I've ever used.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

It’s truly maddening to me how bad people are at loading dishwashers.

My biggest pet peeve though is when a person unloads a properly loaded dishwasher then immediately reloads it wrong.

You just saw where everything goes. What are we doing here?

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

fartknocker posted:

The further we stray from MSN Messenger and AIM, the further we stray from God’s light.

I got my SA account thanks to AIM.

Hope you finally got where you were going, yellow running AIM person.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

swickles posted:

I really enjoyed the Harry Potter movies and books when they came out. They were all well made and fun and had really interesting world building and at the heart of it all, a good story. Then, like anything popular, it got oversaturated and fans made it a full on lifestyle. There were also some race and ethnicity problems, but those would have been mostly overlooked and ignored if it hadn't been so popular. Then the creator just went full TERF and hateful as gently caress, so I and loads of others completely bounced off it.

But then this came out, and I am back on board, lol

https://twitter.com/aar0n_nt/status/1757209594315649236?t=pgkR9ji8xe0nV7jvKdDEXg&s=19

It still shocks me that millions of people read the word "muggle" repeatedly in those books and did not have red flags go up that maybe JK Rowling was bad.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

I just got a phone call from a recorded Gavin Newsome asking me to donate $3 to the North Carolina governors campaign. I’m confused.

In general, a Republican in the Governor's office would be real bad for NC. The current front runner is particularly awful though.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Just ordered a Kinesis Advantage360 Professional :buddy:
  • I am so gosh darn excited to do an ergonomic keyboard!
  • I'm trying to intentionally reframe my mindset of "my office equipment is good enough, so there's no need to spend money" to "it's actually cool and good to invest $ into things that promote good health". This is difficult because my instinct is frugal and my income is low.
  • Only downsides I found while researching is that it generally fits bigger hands better and that the bluetooth can be finnicky. I hope those issues don't pop up!

I got a Herman Miller Embody late last year during their sale. It's silly how night and day it is compared to the old used office chair I had been using before that.

Next, got too see if the mouse needs changing...

I always think about switching to an ergonomic keyboard, but I’m such a nonstandard typer that it just feels like an impossible switch.

Agreed on the Herman Miller though - first thing I bought when I made the full time switch to remote work and no regrets at all.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

I have a Sub-zero and don't think I'd recommend it. We've already had to have it serviced twice in under 3 years because of an insane design choice in the fridge that leads to water pooling in the bottom of the unit.

Never had an issue with the Whirlpool(?) I had in my old house.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

If you’ve got thoughts on the Subaru solterra, please share them itt.

The reviews seem scattershot.

fwiw I just took out a lease on an Ioniq 5 and it seems pretty sweet.

Though we don't have the charger installed yet, so I actually haven't driven it much.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

We looked at cars yesterday and if I had 60k to drop on a car I would have gone home with an Ioniq 5. It was a cool rear end car.

I don’t know if it’s a California specific thing, but they had some crazy incentives running on leases where we wound up with ~16k off.

The dealers and a few others were telling us that a lot of folks had been taking out the lease, getting the buy-out price for a Limited AWD at ~44k and then just buying it out early in the contract.

I’m sure there’s some weird gotcha that I’m unaware of, but it definitely helped get past the sticker shock.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Doesn't help that they changed the name to something that sounds exactly the same. Not sure why they even changed it TBH.

That’s the thing though - the Volt (a plug-in hybrid) and the Bolt (a full EV) were different things. It wasn’t a name change, but something else entirely.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

trevorreznik posted:

I'm not sure what I'm going to do when our current cars give out - family drives 5k miles a year but we often use both cars at the same time. I'd love an EV for all the short trips but they aren't making sub 10k ones.

This is incidentally why we had to get a second car. Our 2017 Golf just cracked 20k miles, but we’ve hit the “two kids going two different places in the morning” age, so a second car it is.

Originally I didn’t want to go all electric for car #2 thinking that we’d just get something bigger that was a PHEV, but apparently they’re all just kind of old and bad.

Thankfully we almost never road trip and live in the Bay Area, so we’re unlikely to get burnt by the short range very often.

That said, I still have crazy range anxiety.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Now I'm watching Aquaman & the Lost Kingdom on HBO.

Timby posted:

My sincerest condolences.

I’m not a huge movie score guy, but Aquaman 2 was the first time I thought “this score is doing this movie absolutely no favors”

The rest of the movie isn’t great, but the score stuck out as particularly off.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

swickles posted:

Do you mean Brian May? Unless Brian Cox also has a PhD...

Brian Cox posted:

I love you, but you are not serious scientists.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

This dude definitely hosed the popcorn bucket.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

trevorreznik posted:

Now I want to watch it!
And heck, I liked the first one quite a bit despite an overwhelming CGI fight at the end. Had a lot of good character moments and actual emotions.

That's kind of the problem with this one. Sure the CGI is bad, but the characters are worse.

Shazam 2 has a similar problem, but at least in that movie everyone except Zachary Levi is likeable enough.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Air Skwirl posted:

How can the director of Furious 7 make another movie that's also so clearly about family and end up with Aquaman 2?

I am convinced that the only reason they didn't make him a single father (which it seems like he is excluding Amber Heard's 20 seconds of screen time) was just so they could keep in the "dodges baby pee" joke.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

And that long rear end 27 second Goodbye Windows logoff sound on your old PC.

JPrime posted:

my ex and i had the chorus of "spiderwebs" by no doubt as our answering machine message for a bit, achieved by holding up a speaker near the machine to record it.

Crossing the streams, but in elementary school I replaced all my Windows sounds with clips from Seinfeld I recorded from the TV onto a cassette and then re-recorded to the PC using a microphone.

Pretty sure my log off sound was from The Marine Biologist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

I missed Tom Cruise chat in the thread because I was on a plane watching A Few Good Men for the first time. Great Tom Cruise movie.