Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I come from a long line of old kid havers, my dad's mom was 38 when he was born, my dad was 36 when I was born, and I was 34 when my first kid was born. It is weird to know 40 year olds that still have their Grandparents, my last one died when I was ~25, the closest one to that was when I was 17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Have a coworker in today who literally tested positive in the office and will not go home because they want to save PTO hours. Maybe I should work from home.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

New one for me today, I’m sitting downstairs at Brak’s work, waiting for her to get done so we can catch our flight, and someone comes in with a live baby pelican in a ream of paper box. I guess it’s wounded? They’re calling LSU, and putting rocks on this box to keep him from leaving.

When they lift the box lid, the pelican is pecking to get out, I say let him out but I’m just a visitor here. :shrug:

DON'T PELICAN OPEN INSIDE

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I fell ice skating 9 days ago, chest has been bothering me a bit so after prompting from a friend and my dad I went to urgent care. I expected a 20 minute appointment where I am told to rest some, had x-rays and I am now draining an IV bag to go get a CT scan. I have 3 broken ribs and based on where they broke they want to make sure my liver is ok. This is much more involved than I anticipated.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

how bad did you fall?

Did you pull a Derulo?

That is what is weird about it, it was the lightest fall you could image, I was going like 3 mph and did not get a single bruise anywhere that hit the ice. I was skating with my 7 year old and was holding her hand, she started to fall and then my skate snagged on a gouge in the ice so I started to fall, I tried to keep her up with one hand and then fell awkwardly on my other arm where my elbow effectively punched a hole in my ribs using my (average) body weight. It did not even bother me much at the time, I kept skating another 30 minutes after until it was time to go.

Anyway, trip report after 4 hours of urgent care, x-rays, a CT scan, and likely a $2000 bill is that my course of action is the same is if I never went in, just take advil or whatever and it should get better in 6-8 weeks. I guess at least I do not need surgery, but I could have just stayed home.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Of you want a whose who of "hey, its that guy" you should watch Oz. You can also see their dongs if that interests you.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I started watching The Leftovers since so many people say it is the best show ever, after bouncing off of it when it aired live. I just finished season 1, does something actually happen? It is kind of boring.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 16, 2024

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Air Skwirl posted:

I think the only IT people that make $200k+ are the ones that are committing blackmail on executives whose emails they've read.

I am not sure how an IT role is defined because I am not a computer person, but I would guess 75% of computer people in the bay area older than 25 make something around that. I guess the contract employee at a company that plugs in HDMI cables probably does not make 200k.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 18, 2024

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
My wife and I make a decent amount of money, but we are in an odd place where we bought our house when markets were relatively down and have a low interest rate (2.6), but we have also outgrown our house. It does not make sense to buy a house where the monthly cost is 4x what our current place is just for 400 more sqft, but we also make much more money than is necessary to afford our current house so we are accruing a ton of money that is more than anything else would need, but still not enough for a nicer house (SF bay area prices go brrrrrrrrr). Just dragons sitting on a pile of gold at the moment.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Got enough property to build?

The lot is like 5100 sqft, there is space but not a ton. I think one of the best features is the relatively nice backyard, and I would not want to eat into it too much, but it is really the only direction we can go without adding a 2nd story.

Silly Burrito posted:

Add on to your house? I resisted and resisted this idea, and when it was over, it was easily the best option. Cost us around 48k for a new 400sqft bedroom/closet, but that’s really 29k for the room and 19k for redoing all of our carpet in the house as ceramic porcelain wood tile.
It will be way more than that. I was talking to a coworker whose inlaws are contractors and was saying it will easily be hundreds of thousands. I am pretty sure we got quoted more than that to remodel a bathroom. The layout is also kind of wonky, where we would probably need to change the existing space to add on a new room.

Shrimpy posted:

Expansion is the way to go. We turned our 2bd/1ba into a 4bd/2ba in the Bay Area because the cost of just buying the 4/2 in the first place was outrageous.

Just curious, how long ago did you do that and how much did it cost? Our house was originally a 2 bed 1 bath, a previous owner increased it to a 2 bed, 2 bath, 1 office, but the layout has a ton of wasted space because the previous owner was an idiot.

Part of the problem is we will not commit to either moving or remodeling. I think unless we come into a ton of money, if we chose to remodel it means we are never moving, so if we are still looking at other houses it means we cannot remodel because what if we want to buy one. I guess if we wait long enough while accruing money, eventually we could buy a house with a smaller mortage loan amount so the increased interest rate has less impact, but who knows how long that will take.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

What exactly do you want to do? You say you outgrew it, but what exactly are you wanting to do? One of the things that finally got me off my butt was the fact that construction/remodel prices really won't be going down ever. The sooner you decide, the "cheaper" it will be.

The minimum is one additional bedroom, with the goal being the kids would have separate bedrooms as they get older. The house does have a lot of poor decisions from the previous owner (it is about 1500 sqft but feels like 1200 since there is so much wasted space, not sure why they thought it needed hallways 6 feet wide), so I guess as a stretch goal beyond the bedroom would be trying to fix as much jank as possible in areas that get torn up. The only space to add on in the backyard requires going through existing rooms, and it would be weird to have a bedroom off of a bedroom so they will probably need to change them as well.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

You might just want to have a contractor come in and give an estimate and solicit ideas.

Yea, I do think this is what we need to do.

Shrimpy posted:

We did the construction in June through December(?) 2018. In the end, it was somewhere between 350k and 400k. My house was a split level with two bedrooms upstairs and then a lower floor that only had 6ft ceilings. To add the additional bedrooms and bathroom we actually dug down and turned it into a full height bottom floor. The other positive to going down, rather than up/out was we wound up with a completely new foundation which needed to be done anyway. We also worked with a full design + build firm which made the process easy, but not cheap.

From talking to people, prices have probably come up since then. I guess it also depends on what you get, if it costs 200-300k just to tack a room onto our house I would feel ripped off since we would still have the same poorly designed house, just with one extra room. If it costs a bit more than that but they completely gut the house and having everything working together nicely and not the 80 years of accumulated cruft then maybe it is worth it. Obviously need to talk to a contractor about those options and see what they come up with.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Shrimpy posted:

If you’re in the greater Oakland/Berkeley/East Bay Area, I’m happy to shoot you the name of the company we used over PM. We’ve done multiple projects with them, as have family members and friends.

They’re good about keeping the character of the original house (ours is 1930s) while fixing layout issues.

I am on the peninsula, but if they travel out here feel free to PM.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

Tell me you're single without telling me you're single.

To be fair, I am married and kind of wondered the same thing. Where there is a will there is a way.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Freaquency posted:

I’d be very interested in seeing how many 18-29 respondents that survey got. It seems unlikely that 20% of zoomers are goosestepping all over the place.

It could be a bad poll, but assuming it is true the only rationale I can think of is that there are tons of sketchy sources of information on the internet now, especially if you are immersed in something like twitter 18 hours a day since you were 10 years old.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
The first episode of Season 4 was interesting enough for me to want to watch it. I do not think anything actually happened in episode 2, you could go straight to episode 3 and not really notice. I fell asleep during it, but then rewatched it once I woke up.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Me with raw tomatoes and everyone on earth saying that their home grown tomatoes are so much better than store bought, as if the last 50 people did not say the same thing. Every year I humor someone and eat their fancy garden tomato, and it just tastes like a tomato, which I do not like.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Goons continuing to think that everyone (offscreen laughing with them) is as perpetually online twitter brained as they are.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Are you implying he isn’t actually that feeble and mush-brained, or that most people just don’t actually care?

Because you may be right, but the evidence is overwhelming.

We didn’t always just run reanimated corpses against one another.

I was implying people do not care, mainly in response to your previous post and this:

swickles posted:

Its going to be hilarious to see a meteoric crash in voter turnout this year.

When you talk to people outside of the internet, no one is keeping track of this mundane news/drama that lives online for engagement. I guarantee there will be high voter turnout and whatever happens will not be a blowout, though I have no idea who will win.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 26, 2024

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

swickles posted:

I mean, the Israel-Gaza news isn't some obscure thing. No matter what side of the spectrum you fall on, committing forces to a mideast conflict is deeply unpopular with American voters, and it just seems we are getting sucked in more and more with escalation against Yemen.

I kind of disagree with this, with the caveat that I have no hard data. To me this also seems like one of those things that people who spend a lot of time online are absolutely bathed in, so they assume everyone else cares about it just as much as they do. I am sure people have opinions and such, but at least in my anecdotal experience of talking with true moderates in my wife's family over the holidays or my highly educated upper/middle class coworkers it is much lower priority than standard US focused political stuff like the economy/social issues etc., and more "those people that have been fighting since before I was born are fighting again".

It kind of reminds me of that Chris Coons primary. I only followed it here because I do not live in Delaware, and based on the hype and enthusiasm I was kind of getting swept up in the goon wave of hoping the left primary challenger would win, and I assumed it would be a pretty close election based on how excited and engaged online people were. Then of course she got blown out, because when it comes down to it online people are still a pretty small percentage of the population, even if they are kind of noisy enough to think it is bigger.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 26, 2024

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

What’s most frustrating is that democrats had a chance to energize young people and immigrants and promptly looked in the mirror and asked how they could get more racist.

Now there’s no clear path to reproductive freedom, reasonable healthcare, affordable higher ed, or really any path for young folks to enjoy home ownership or even reasonable rent and Dems just continue to gaslight them about the Most Progressive President In History*

But you’re right. It’s all we have. I just won’t blame young folks or immigrants for not turning out because Biden has given them literally zero reason to vote for him. Kids are still in cages. Roe is still repealed. Student loan repayments are back in progress. Inflation is out of control on transportation and shelter and food.

And if I’m wrong and Trump loses to shuffling corpse twice, it’ll be intensely loving funny.

*to the right of LBJ

Stuff like this is why I am convinced the online left is infested with rightwing ops, where 99% of the emphasis is in getting people not to vote, and maybe if you are lucky 1% goes towards advancing something progressive. I am not saying any posters here or even wherever they get information from is an op, but somewhere in the left media ecosystem someone is leaking in "facts" like Donald the Dove that are not true and there is little benefit to leftist causes to promote Trump when you can just not vote for Biden without whitewashing Republicans. Some of the points are literally untrue, and the rest of it is effectively unwinnable because it is not things the president can directly control. In the 2020 primary Biden was one of my least favorite candidates, probably only higher than Bloomberg and random guys who no one even knew, but I find it hard to believe Biden is why Roe is still repealed, or the Supreme Court impeded student loan forgiveness. I was all aboard the goon leftist zeitgeist until a few years ago and I still consider myself to the left of the Democratic party, but I fell off because it seems more about getting that sweet online engagement by being perpetually aggrieved like the right has been doing for 30 years. It was also kind of like that tweet someone made about Musk (no idea who these people are, it came up in a google search): https://twitter.com/bgrahamdisciple/status/1607172467231174658/photo/1
Once people started talking about stuff I knew about, I realized they had no idea what they were talking about.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 26, 2024

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

So I disagree with a few things here. I consider myself a hopeless leftist in a deep red shithole with literally no one to vote for. I consume lots of media outside of my bubble because i have to seek it out. I’ve never heard any actual lefty repeat the Donald the Dove poo poo except that weird dolt Jimmy Dore. I’ve seen it get some traction from Greenwald, but I wouldn’t consider that a leftist source. At most I’d say lefties are bemoaning the absolute antipathy Biden seems to show Palestinians, and the glee with which he seems to fling missiles at Houthis and throw tens of billions at Ukraine (particularly when we “can’t afford” social spending :jerkbag:)

On the bolded, the Dems held all levers of congress and wouldn’t break decorum to codify abortion rights. Then when they were overturned, magically they no longer had power. They couldve been proactive when literally everyone knew what SCOTUS intended to do.

As far as student loans, I dunno he gave up at the first hurdle while they forgave billions in PPP loans to fraudsters and small business tyrants with no opposition. He loving ran on this.

Much in the way that “the purpose of a system is what it does,” Joe Biden’s actions speak louder than his ineffectual words. 50 years of his “leadership” telegraphed this exact sequence of events, and I’m not surprised people are uninspired by his bullshit.

My apologies, even though I was quoting you, I was not really attributing all arguments I was talking about to you, just that some of the arguments that you mentioned are pretty common and my post expanded beyond your post after I started typing a bit. Donald the Dove has been posting numerous times on these very forums by many people.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Fond memories of telling my mom not to pick up the phone as I played Warcraft 1 against my friend down the street over TCP/IP on my 25 mhz computer. Our strategy was sit around until you can summon 4 demons or water elementals, then attack. It is probably not the preferred meta now. There were like 5 Mac games back then, so everyone with a Mac had a similar library.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
My parents both have text and phone alerts backwards, where they have a long text notification and a short call notification. My dad has the entire Imperial March from Star Wars as his text, and his call notification is a little chirp, while my mom has some Vivaldi as her text. I suggested they swap them but they did not want to. I keep mine silent or with whatever the default sound is if I am expecting something important, which leads to 10 people feeling their pocket at work when it goes off.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 5, 2024

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Nodoze posted:

The world does not need more ska

When you are 14 and making a crappy punk band and your mom forces you to let your little brother join and he can only play a trumpet.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Today is literally my last day in the office, got laid off months ago but the date is still 7 weeks out. I might have 10 minutes of WFH stuff per day until then. Kind of nice to get fully paid for a while to not work, then get severance after, assuming I find a job before I start losing money.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
When buying a house and going through that credit check stuff, I learned my mom had me as an authorized user for one of her cards that she apparently forgot about so everything she used that card for was unpaid for a long time, so my credit score was like 550. I did not use credit much, so that was a significant part of my history. Now I use credit a lot more and I got that past due charge expunged so I am at like 820.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Air Skwirl posted:

I lived in multiple different apartments in California and all of them had fridges.

I would be surprised if most people have ever bought a fridge unless you own a house long enough for the fridge to break. Outside of LA being weird apparently, whether renting or buying most appliances seem to get left behind.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 27, 2024

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Dog chat - I always had Labs growing up and would highly recommend them. The best dog personality, easy to train, and most importantly - they do not require grooming. I don't have time to get myself a haircut every 6 weeks, I am not about to do that for some labradoodle.

Also, a long time ago I had jury duty the same day as one of my best friends at the same courthouse. Neither of us were picked to be a juror though, we just hung out in the big juror room and then went home.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
My first job was field crew for the local little league. Driving around a golf cart (which was a lot more novel when you are too young to drive) dragging a giant metal grate to smooth the infield dirt, laying chalk down, then getting $20 under the table. My second was combo lifeguard/running the snack shack at a big private pool. I am pretty sure I ate more value in Airheads and other candy than what I was actually paid.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
The McDonalds near my house start at $21/hour, going by the posters they have outside trying to entice people to work there.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

These republicans seem bad. The dems should probably take popular policy positions and try hard to materially improve lives so they can win the election.

Supporting Israel is a popular policy position for people that vote in every election that are older than like ... 45. Unless you are mistaking noisy online people as a large population?

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 1, 2024

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I have a Volt and I will be sad when it dies. All of the rebates drop the price into the non-EV price range, probably makes it equivalent to buying a Camry or something. The problem with Teslas, outside of being made like a 90's Kia and giving Elon Musk money, is that they are super heavy. If you have one somewhere with coal fired power it might be worse than just using gas. Also a lot of SUVs/Vans have a gimmick battery that gets like 20 miles.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 3, 2024

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

swickles posted:

How do EVs fair in the cold? We didn't get below zero this year, but we did hit single digits for a week or so and its not uncommon to have stretches even colder.

Also, my electrical panel is basically maxed out with no free slots, so I would need to upgrade that as well, which I think I need to do anyway.

I do not live where it gets that cold, but my experience with the Volt is that if you assume the standard range is 55-60 miles on battery, when it is colder in winter (~50 degrees) the battery drops to 40ish miles. I do not know how engineering dependent this is, where other types of cars might be less variable based on weather. I think the min/max range I have seen is like 38-66, though to be fair those low mileage ranges tend to be when my wife drives it and she always has either the heat/ac cranked to max.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I thought I was "fiscally conservative but socially liberal" in high school and so I thought that meant I was a libertarian. In college I met a couple of libertarians and listening to a few of their rants convinced me I might not be sure where I was on the political spectrum, but I was definitely 100% not sharing space with those people.

It turns out what I meant by "fiscally conservative" was just "our tax money should be spent wisely, like, on social services, supporting the arts and sciences, protecting our national parks, etc; not on the military or on corporate welfare or on pork barrel poo poo for corrupt politicians to pander to their base" which is not Conservative at all haha.

I am pretty sure I had the exact same mentality of "fiscally conservative but socially liberal", though I did not think I was a libertarian because I probably did not know they existed. Well, of course I don't want to waste money! I also remember having a mock elementary school election in 1988 and I was the only vote for Jesse Jackson. I have no idea why, maybe he was in the news the night before. Bush won in a landslide because everyone came to the conclusion that Dukakis is a silly name.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
It does not even need to be super cold, even 40-50 degrees knocks the battery down 25% or so for my car.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Probably do not give yourself a scathing self review.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
The tooth fairy forgot to visit my 7 year old last night and it is a Thing, though at least it is solvable with french toast.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
My 7 year old knows that Santa and the Tooth Fairy are make believe, but when asked she decided it was more fun to pretend they were real so that is what we do. She has a 10 year old relative who still genuinely believes in Santa and we were lectured before the holidays to not ruin it for them. I am pretty sure my parents told me when I was 4 or 5 that all of that stuff is just for fun. I probably got suspicious when the dog got me a Christmas gift, when I know the dog has no money and no hands to wrap a present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Maybe it is because I am not super interested in this job that I am interviewing for, but I need to put together a 1 hour presentation and I just cannot force myself to do it.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 14, 2024