Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Air Skwirl posted:

Oh for fucks sake, and I had a month long probation.

Android users, what podcast app do you use. I'm currently using Google's but they're gonna shut it down in April I figured I should start looking now so if I don't like one I can try another.

I went from Pocket Casts to Podcast Addict and prefer that. Don't remember specifically why I changed, but I think it had to do with an annoying bug at the time that made the app almost useless. Probably fixed by now if that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
^ 42 with 8 and 4 year olds. I'm... So tired.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I post in bursts and then get quiet.

Same. I think of my posts like orgasms, awkward and almost always disappointing.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Neil Armbong posted:

LMAO. loving why? He seemed like he got a predictable consequence for his actions.

Literally to stick a finger in Syria's eye. If this was any friendly country who held him he would've learned about the "Found Out" part.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Fifty Three posted:

Ask him what coach the Steelers could hire that would reliably get them winning seasons in perpetuity and, failing that, just try to steer him away from the thinly veiled racism that underpins every other moron calling for Tomlin to be fired

Well obviously they'd have their choice Bill Belichick, Bill Cowher, Andy Reid... they'd definitely be jumping to coach the Steelers and wouldn't be a complete failure like THAT guy. Hell maybe even Big Ben will come back and coach!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Offer him Luke Getsy

The Packers this defensive super genius I guess they could be willing to part with for a nominal fee.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 5, 2024

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

I look forward to them dealing with the herpes that is lung disease.

Silly Burrito posted:

Her response to a school shooting.

It’s never the guns.

And much like guns, they won't do a drat thing to support mental health.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
HBD SB, enjoy the bday nookie

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Rectal Placenta posted:

Things are cookin' in SE Wisconsin. We're getting like an inch per hour right now.

It's been great. Also great: transporting a guy to the hospital 20 miles away in said storm because he vomited once. Last night.

I love my job, but what the hell dude, wait it out!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

LeeMajors posted:

Is this rare for yall? It’s like an immutable law here that we will get a call for back pain x2 weeks, general malaise, cold-like symptoms or some other nonsense as soon as weather kicks up. Had sciatica x2 days in a tornado warning earlier this week. Waited right until the squall line got to us.

Not rare, just ... What's the word I'm looking for... Awe-inspiring? Most of the time we get the aforementioned "This has been hurting for 2 weeks" call at 3am because they couldn't sleep calls.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
My home town has had multiple murders involving a katana.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

swickles posted:

I mean I am not gonna lie, would.

Yeah ....

Yeah.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Got a job interview for a Customer Success Manager position with an Australian tech company. It's remote work too. I don't hate my current job but I'm applying on the off chance the office Christmas parties are mandatory events in Australia....

I used to work for an Australian based insurance company and had the promise of going to visit our remote folks in Australia and England. Every time the opportunity came up they sent my boss and boss's boss instead. When I finally became The Boss and the chance came up they ... Sent my boss and the boss's boss.

It was bullshit. Never got to travel anywhere except for an offer to go to Atlanta in the middle of the summer to babysit a junior developer. He quit before the flight got booked.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

harperdc posted:

I’m not sure if Timberland has a fancy line but Danner and Red Wing are definitely fancy ones as well.

This is very underrated as a way to live life, especially if you can travel/have hobbies/do whatever you want off that paycheck. It’s roughly how I’m doing in my position and company.

My old job was sort of like this with the severely overpaid IT job, but with the added bonus of being on call 24/7 and never truly being able to log off, even on vacation. I definitely had regular, dark thoughts about how it would just be easier to take the massive life insurance payout so I wouldn't be depressed anymore but my fam would still have the house paid off

I took an almost 60% pay cut to go to my new job and, yeah, I definitely miss the check, but I work 2 24 hour shifts a week and have the rest of the time to do whatever I want. My mood did a 180, family notices I'm smiling more, and my stress level is significantly less.

Money is great, but holy poo poo if someone is miserable and can make it work for less and be happy in their career, highly recommended.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Ornery and Hornery posted:

How many of you make $200k or more?

To IT goons, how much do you make and how much does IT pay? Most of the IT folks I know have a wide range of incomes and work titles that seem almost completely unrelated to the scope and difficulty of their work responsibilities.

I'll out myself - after bonuses, I made approximately $155k. This is in Wisconsin, and I had ~20 years in the field as a team lead managing 10 folks, all overseas contractors that I had no say in hiring or retention, mostly in a support role for devops tooling. I was at this place for 12 years and started at $95k as a senior developer.

As mentioned, I technically wasn't supposed to be 24/7, but by nature of being That One Guy That Knows All The Legacy poo poo, I got called and messaged every day at all times of the day. That was supposed to change but the company wouldn't invest in upgrading old code so there was never an end in sight.

Anyway, I'm rambling. If you're at all curious feel free to PM me and I'm happy to explain what I saw.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Bird in a Blender posted:

Anyone have any good or bad car/home insurance companies? I noticed my insurance has gone up like 30% over the last year and I haven't filed a claim since 2015, so it's not for any reason on my end. Looking to make a switch and see if I can get better prices. I'm on American Family right now, which covers my home and car, so I'd probably switch both if I made the switch.

If you're in the Midwest, I have Acuity and have been really happy with them. Prices are reasonable for two cars, a home, and a $1m umbrella. I want to say I pay maybe $2k/year. I did just get into a minor fender bender yesterday (of course, a month before I trade in my car for a new one), and they already reached out and are working with the other driver to make it right. Highly recommend.

FizFashizzle posted:

I had an ER doc tell me once that you could treat this just with an Ambu bag, but I don’t know how accurate that is and I don’t really want to know.

You can. Their respiratory drive is poo poo so you're supplementing it, same as an opiate overdose in the absence of narcan. You'll obviously want to monitor for any arrhythmias, vomiting, laryngospasm, or mental effects like them coming to and losing their damned minds, but if everything looks good, bagging is all you need.

That being said, it can take a while to clear the system depending on how much they take and I don't want to bag someone for a half hour, so beep beep goes the vent.

I gave a patient <10mg ketamine not long ago for pain (fentanyl didn't touch it and she was elderly so I went slightly under our protocol weight-based pain dose) and I think she may have saw God for a few minutes. Good poo poo, ketamine.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

LeeMajors posted:

I’m not sure if you guys do chemical restraint (or if you do, what you use) but we switched to ketamine frontline many years ago.

Initially we used same dose for RSI and chemical restraint at 1.5mg/kg but for whatever reason the IM dosing increase first to 3mg/kg then to 4mg/kg. We have autonomy to lower our doses if we have good reasoning, but those are the official guideline dosages.

Thing is, I’ve never seen anyone that 1.5mg/kg didn’t level. Like, knees folding unconsciousness within ~30-60s.

I haven’t had to use it in awhile but I half dosed the last guy I sedated (combative powerlifter I thought might be having hemorrhagic stroke) because I’d already given him 10mg Versed (5mg x2 IM) with no effect. 2mg/kg ketamine had him nearly unconscious, and close to needing a tube.

It’s a pretty safe drug and I do like it, but these escalating doses are pretty nuts especially when most medics are so lovely at math and/or reasoning.

Having said all that, I think Haldol is coming sooner or later in our area for prehospital but I’ll prob be done before it’s here.

We use Haldol/Versed frontline with "Consider ketamine" right below. You can go right to ketamine if you can justify it (ie, you can't wait 15 minutes for them to chill out). Our sedation and RSI dose for ketamine are the same at 2mg/kg (double for IM).

I've only been doing this for less than a year, but I've already had enough times where I need to explain why fentanyl or ketamine are safe to people because of what they heard in the news. You would think having a monitor with a bunch of wires attached would be enough to indicate we're paying attention. But, like you said, dipshits out there doing stuff they shouldn't be doing.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

LeeMajors posted:

It just seems weird that it isn’t a memo like “hey guys we found this, here’s the report, we are mitigating and taking care of business” instead of them immediately telling me to FOIA when I asked.

They haven’t been completely opaque about it, but it just struck me as odd to add a layer to the request.

And I’ve already made the request, for sure.

The response will basically be:

Dear Requestor,

Please see below for the information you requested:

[REDACTED]

Thank you.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I need to replace the built-in cutting boards in my counter (they slide out like drawers) and really want to make my own, but I'm not sure I have the patience. Are the ones you guys made just glued on edge and that's enough? Or do you do any kind of joining?

LeeMajors posted:

Actual :lol:

How’s the full time medic gig going?

Honestly, I'm loving it. The schedule rocks, the calls have a decent mix of complex and easy where I'm not constantly freaking out, and the volume is tolerable. We'll see how I feel in 10 years, but overall best career move I've made.

The only downside is I had to quit my part time fire gig because my city won't let me do separate job titles for the same employer, but I'm guessing that'll change in a few years when fire staffing starts to suffer from attrition. Well, that and the paycheck.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Timby posted:

Apropos of nothing, any medical goons know anything about eyesight and possible diabetic retinopathy? I was diagnosed as diabetic in December 2022, and while I am not currently on insulin (I very closely manage my blood glucose, and I was put back on metformin as opposed to insulin, and right now I only weigh 171 pounds from my biggest at 289 a while back), but for the past two or three months, I've been having vision issues and needing to take my glasses off to read fine print, even when trying to read something on my phone, or when doing a crossword in the paper. I'm only 39, but is it time to go back to Shopko Optical and possibly talk with the doc about bifocals / transition lenses?

Before someone comes in to snark at me and say "dur hur don't ask for medical advice on a dead gay forum," I have appointments scheduled at the diabetes clinic, the nephrology clinic and with my cardiologist. Just wondering what to expect moving forward.

Not an optometrist, but have you been seeing additional floaters or splotchy vision? I think that's the early symptoms of diabetic retinopathy. Since it sounds like you're controlling your sugar well, I'd kinda be surprised if it was more than that.

Could also just be you're in for bifocals... My wife wears them and she got them in her late 30s.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Brother, if your scheduled sex ain’t exciting, that’s on you

My wife keeps rescheduling :(

Patrick Stewart is an international treasure and I appreciate the writers maintaining Picard's long-established disdain for children.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Braksgirl posted:

Hey I know what that's like. I was trying to schedule some for last night but instead SB had to bring me to the ER because my insides tried to murder me. Really put the brakes on things.

There's a joke about punishing your insides there but I'm failing.

Speaking of me failing, the reason here is because there's laundry to do and welp ... Here I am folding laundry!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I got punched at work today.

Surprised it took this long after all the poo poo I pulled when I worked in IT.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

LeeMajors posted:

Oh baby. Time to smite someone with a D cylinder.

Funny thing is, I think my 4yo could throw a harder punch.

I'm having flashbacks to my Quantum 1 and 2 classes in college and now I want to cry.

LeeMajors posted:

Anyways, here's a Mochi pupdate. Getting Big As All Hell.

Nervous posted:

He got some carrot!

He was introduced to bubbles yesterday and was delighted.

Nevermind I don't want to cry anymore.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Just had a tornado rip through a town a half hour south of me.

In central Wisconsin.

In Early February.

Normal-rear end weather.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Anyone know if those battery-powered heated vests are worthwhile? I'm thinking of getting one for my skiing trip next weekend. I'd be wearing it over my jacket so I'd go one size up, would I get too hot?

Got my wife one for Christmas and she absolutely loves it. She'll even wear it around the house when it's especially cold outside.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I love my smoker. Happy Super Bowl Sunday y'all.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

fartknocker posted:

and ADP that I use to clock in and out is telling me that my password expires in 12~ days which :laffo:

Same think happened when I was leaving my old job and before I gave notice. "It's expiring sooner than that mfer!"

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

fartknocker posted:

How many goons are gonna post about their penis today?

Jk congrats get that money

I have a penis. It's for loving the Cowboys.

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, it's a small thing that would probably improve the lives of countless workers.

Agreed. The "don't talk about how much you make" is all from businesses not wanting folks to know how much they could be getting paid.

I want to see photos of dogs.

This is Melody. She's a very good girl.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

LeeMajors posted:

This is also my favorite thing in the world, because as much as Dunning-Kruger effect is evoked too often, the entire tech disruptor sector is the living embodiment of this poo poo.

Legit one of the reasons I got the hell out of IT.

Here's a framework. We'll call it Ligma. Ligma has been around for a decade and has been improved continuously. Now comes Deez, and Deez is exactly the same as Ligma, but instead of using % as an operator, it uses $. Suddenly Deez is in demand because Modified Date is more recent. THE FUTURE IS NOW. gently caress tech bros and their dumb poo poo.

But also 100% agree this is the best type of tweet...

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Nervous posted:

A Constantinople presence in your mind?

:frogout:

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

No Butt Stuff posted:

Just show them how ChatGPT is currently acting.

Can't wait to have my PCR software insert racial slurs and stereotypes on its own .

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I remember when Discovery, History, and TLC had actual good, educational shows.

It makes me sad thinking about it.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Abugadu posted:

Going on a party boat for my birthday!

How was Lake Minnetonka?

I went for a bike ride with my kid Thursday afternoon and the first bump I hit blew my rear tire. May you have better success!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I feel like if you're willing to submit to your corporate masters, you'll have no problem submitting to the lovely dom you have back at home. :3:

Until he decides he hasn't performed at a level that is expected as Husband and files for divorce.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
James Garfield did nothing wrong.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Hot Diggity! posted:

Yeah I like Dune. Dune your mom lol

Goddamnit, this gets be giggling like an idiot every time.

Car Chat: Got my new car delivered today and going from a sedan to a midsize SUV is weird. Digging the gas mileage on a hybrid though!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 3, 2024

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I got the opportunity to drive a hybrid fire engine over last summer and found that there's definitely a market for it there. The truck we had used had a 6 liter "range extender" (read, diesel engine), but that's a far cry from the 15 liter engine that usually sits in there. The engine they chose is the same that seen in a full size pickup.

Given most fire apparatus are short distance/heavy stationary use, an electric motor works great.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

3 DONG HORSE posted:

DS9 is so loving good I am ashamed I forgot about it. I have dishonored my family.

Gowron stares down at you from Sto'Vo'Kor.

DS9, B5, BSG, SG1 - all peak sci fi and I really need to do a run through of them all again.

Infectious Disease Chat: I'm sitting in an ER waiting on a rabies vaccine due to a stupid little dog biting me on a call. Could probably have done without, but was unable to get vaccine records, dogs are allowed to run free in a rural area, and workers comp is paying, better safe than sorry.

Edit: Pharmacy just came down and said "can we maybe not do the shots?" Sorry folks, I have no idea who this dog belongs to!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Yeah, I was nervous about that. Sounds like it's just two shots today in my leg and deltoid, then three more over the next two weeks.

Glad I'm not getting stabbed in the gut. What a weird rear end route...

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Fat Jesus posted:

I'm involved with Landcare etc and went to a talk about parasites - bee mites (they win, can't be stopped), cat borne stuff and poo poo like that, and heard about this - https://www.anu.edu.au/news/all-news/australian-woman-found-with-python-parasite-in-her-brain

Of course it's Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

I think he's missing a fundamental problem with this plan ...