Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
How's that brain cancer cellphone conspiracy working out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Humphreys posted:

We've got some boomer idiot in my area putting up "Keep Suburb_Name WIFI Free" signs all over town. loving idiot. They are putting up a 5G Tower. At least get your conspiracy correct dumbass.

I think that sounds great, free wifi should be provided by the government.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Hard agree.
Basic food, water, shelter and healthcare, too, while we're wandering into fantasy (in the US.)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It would be very funny to go around and put up slightly differently worded signs so it looks like there's twice as much support for free wifi and just frustrate the conspiracy guy.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021

The Door Frame posted:

How's that brain cancer cellphone conspiracy working out?

Seven!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've always wanted to install front reversing lights on my Saab 900. Today I determined it has the wiring for it.

I also learned, it's a feature that has a lot more to it than just looking cool! It's actually very useful. Apparently Björn Envall (who designed the Saab 900) came up with the feature after he almost backed over the family cat in 1967 because it was dark.

https://www.theautopian.com/carmakers-are-idiots-for-not-appreciating-this-revolutionary-saab-reverse-lamp-breakthrough-2/

I have the wiring, but I there's no hole in the actual lamps, but like, everything is there. I could get some BA15s lamp sockets and drill a fitting hole.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That's pretty clever! I've never seen that before, but some luxury American cars back in the '70s had "cornering lights", which were white lights that illuminated to the side when the indicators were on, so you could see what you were turning into. Also a useful feature!
Of course, Tucker just used a center headlight that swiveled with the steering, and some new cars can do that with lighting arrays, I think?

edit: I'm also a huge fan of adding optional/higher trim features on my cars, which is especially viable with older cars. See my base model Jeep Cherokee that ended up with added power windows, power door locks, power mirrors, center console, overhead console, cruise control, full factory gauges, and digital clock, a lot of which had at least partial wiring already in the truck. Never got around to adding the heated rear glass, but that was on the docket. It helped that Jeeps were basically LEGO, and they made essentially the same truck for a decade, and it shared a lot of parts with other Jeeps (and later, Dodges.)

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 12, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I slid through a corner the other day and stomped a sign flat. My 260k mile Vue took it like a champ.

Cracked some plastic, that’s it.

One day I’ll take this thing behind the barn and put it out of its misery, but that day ain’t today.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Just put it in the Tupperware cabinet after you lose the top and forget about it

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My car's radio started making the most awful loud static noises today. Two things changed since yesterday: a shop had it for a few hours to mount a tire, and the temperature dropped to well below freezing. gently caress, I don't feel like chasing down audio issues.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ask me about the amp pop I get on shutdown in the Crown Vic that I’ve decided to ignore.

Also, I apparently managed to disconnect the antenna on the Outback last time I was in there rewiring the amps.

I *hate* pulling the radio on the Outback…

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

My car's radio started making the most awful loud static noises today. Two things changed since yesterday: a shop had it for a few hours to mount a tire, and the temperature dropped to well below freezing. gently caress, I don't feel like chasing down audio issues.

My friend's 955 developed the same issue. Static and popping when the temp dropped. It ended up being the amp.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Kastivich posted:

My friend's 955 developed the same issue. Static and popping when the temp dropped. It ended up being the amp.

Maybe it'll fix itself if I wait until the temperature rises and don't do something foolish like drive to Alaska next month.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Gonna be lazy and just quote myself from the Awesome thread:

Darchangel posted:

Found some new Hot Wheels (and a LEGO).

Y'all like wagons right? Good news:

I'm missing #3, the Datsun Bluebird (510) wagon. There were plenty of the others on the pegs, but not that one, which I wager a JDM weeb snagged all of them for eBay.

They're all neat, but I think the '66 "GTO" wagon deserves special notice for being a phantom.

These are just some 2023 New Models I didn't yet have.

Speaking of, the 2024 New Models have started showing up:

That first one apparently is the winner of last years Hot Wheels Legends show series.
Yeah, that's a monster Kei truck.

Som rando "Adventure Force" vehicles that I found nifty:

They had the old Bronco in.. red, I think it was, and the Blazer in yellow and white as well.
Previously, I had picked up a '70s Ford 4x4 for the friend who inherited his dad's '77 I posted about in my own thread.

I could not resist the Countach:

edit: crap! I just realized I forgot to grab the Matchbox Autozam AZ-1 I found!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Nice, I've got a few Matchbox and cars as well because my spouse keeps buying them for me:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Darchangel posted:

That's pretty clever! I've never seen that before, but some luxury American cars back in the '70s had "cornering lights", which were white lights that illuminated to the side when the indicators were on, so you could see what you were turning into. Also a useful feature!
Of course, Tucker just used a center headlight that swiveled with the steering, and some new cars can do that with lighting arrays, I think?

Nissan put cornering lights on a bunch of cars in the 80's and 90's.

Up to the adaptive lights in the 00's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL9tdbF6Iec

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Darchangel posted:

How does the quality of Adventure Force compare to Hot wheels or matchbox cars? Similarly, do you collect matchbox cars too? I didn't see any in your haul.

CommieGIR posted:

Nice, I've got a few Matchbox and cars as well because my spouse keeps buying them for me:

Are those Linux reference books up to date? Are they really more useful than like just using Google? I use a Linux PC as my daily driver and I know enough to keep the system from breaking, I would like to learn more, but I don't own any reference books and I'm not sure they would still be the best way to learn more. Like a looong time ago my step dad purchased a boxed set for Mandrake Linux, it had a dozen CDs and a thick book, and this was relevant and useful at the time because we were still on dialup.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
The new Dodge pickups do that with the fog lights, slow speed and turn the wheel enough and it turns that side on. I think the ones on my Buick were turn signal activated and were like turning on a floodlight on that side of the car.

e: I think I have a physical copy of Fedora 7 from the dial up days, the book probably taught me more about computers than I ever learned in school.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 13, 2024

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I did it!

Prestone 50/50

https://i.imgur.com/KcObkEc.mp4

Rotella T6 0W40

https://i.imgur.com/zoC1EEz.mp4

Propane

https://i.imgur.com/zO0dbuX.mp4

propane accessories

https://i.imgur.com/bDOtqq1.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/dZdjAEf.mp4

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 13, 2024

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What was the temp when you took the video? -45?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

What was the temp when you took the video? -45?

According to my thermometer, ERROR*c. The Flir just bounces off -60*C.

Weather Canada says -43.5

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I would like to taste the forbidden slurpee.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I would like to taste the forbidden slurpee.

My mind did suggest to me that the propane looks cool and refreshing.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Hot drat that Prestone looks delicious.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That looks perfect for topping a sundae

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
No diesel?

Whats the procedure for making coolant with a lower freezing point? Do you mix more coolant and less water? IIRC most of the time 50/50 coolant - water is like -40 or -45. So if its say 60/40 coolant to water does it lower the freezing point?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

No diesel?

Whats the procedure for making coolant with a lower freezing point? Do you mix more coolant and less water? IIRC most of the time 50/50 coolant - water is like -40 or -45. So if its say 60/40 coolant to water does it lower the freezing point?

I didn't feel like siphoning cold diesel out of the truck.

60/40 freezes at -52*c, 70/30 at -70*c, but it also won't cool as well when it hits +35*c in 6 months.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Higher concentration of coolant vs water. Usually a chart on most bottles of concentrate.

Toyota Red is rated for down to -56C/-69F at 65% coolant/35% water. But the more coolant vs water, the less effective it is at transferring heat,

Darchangel posted:

I *hate* pulling the radio on the Outback…

What, you don't like those screws up in the ashtray?

:stare:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Not Wolverine posted:

Are those Linux reference books up to date? Are they really more useful than like just using Google? I use a Linux PC as my daily driver and I know enough to keep the system from breaking, I would like to learn more, but I don't own any reference books and I'm not sure they would still be the best way to learn more. Like a looong time ago my step dad purchased a boxed set for Mandrake Linux, it had a dozen CDs and a thick book, and this was relevant and useful at the time because we were still on dialup.

Some of them are still relevant, but most of my modern books are at the office or in ebook format so I can use them on the road.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Not Wolverine posted:

How does the quality of Adventure Force compare to Hot wheels or matchbox cars? Similarly, do you collect matchbox cars too? I didn't see any in your haul.

Try building Linux from Scratch?

https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Nissan put cornering lights on a bunch of cars in the 80's and 90's.

Up to the adaptive lights in the 00's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL9tdbF6Iec

Ah, I remember now my high school friend’s ‘84 Maxima had cornering lights!

CommieGIR posted:

Don’t make me post pictures of “The Collection”.

Not Wolverine posted:

They look pretty good, with nice detail in the casting. Haven’t actually popped one out of the package yet.
I don’t collect Matchbox per se, but I pick up ones that grab my fancy. HW and Matchbox are both Mattel now. Matchbox just mainly focuses on “everyday” and stock vehicles.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

randomidiot posted:

Higher concentration of coolant vs water. Usually a chart on most bottles of concentrate.

Toyota Red is rated for down to -56C/-69F at 65% coolant/35% water. But the more coolant vs water, the less effective it is at transferring heat,

What, you don't like those screws up in the ashtray?

:stare:

NO. Among other things.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Does installing Arch count? :haw: I read the LFS guide a long time ago, and it does seem kinda fascinating. I'm more hoping for a guide for how to make something useful, like a home file server, which I have already done with Ubuntu + Samba. I should have taken the easy way with FreeNAS but thus far it's stable and my files are backed up (scattered across a dozen old hard drives in cold storage).

Darchangel posted:

They look pretty good, with nice detail in the casting. Haven’t actually popped one out of the package yet.
I don’t collect Matchbox per se, but I pick up ones that grab my fancy. HW and Matchbox are both Mattel now. Matchbox just mainly focuses on “everyday” and stock vehicles.
Thanks for explaining that, my toy addiction is ABS crack, although that's getting to be pretty expensive. That said, I only own a couple HW/Matchbox cars, I like realistic cars and especially ones with opening doors, I think that a Matchbox thing.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 14, 2024

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Not Wolverine posted:

Does installing Arch count? :haw: I read the LFS guide a long time ago, and it does seem kinda fascinating. I'm more hoping for a guide for how to make something useful, like a home file server, which I have already done with Ubuntu + Samba. I should have taken the easy way with FreeNAS but thus far it's stable and my files are backed up (scattered across a dozen old hard drives in cold storage).

So....like a plex server with Radarr or Sonarr? If so, trash guides might be a good start:

https://trash-guides.info/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
If you want a file server that isnt Windows then TrueNAS really is about the best roll your own. Samba has it's problems but TrueNAS has a neat interface that will overcome them.

There are ways to do a Windows file server without a retail or VMS key for tru ease, not saying them here for obv reasons.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ether Frenzy posted:

Cool, if she can't get it going tomorrow I'll suggest these options before she calls the service shop, she's got a 45ish year old guy down the street who helps with trees that need to come down/get hauled out who can come tip it over for her/pull the cord/spray some carb cleaner in.

Thanks dudes.

My mother got the thing started herself after I sent her a youtube for that specific model of Troy-Bilt. Fine work, mom. :toot:

Just in time too as they're getting hit with another couple days of snow/wind.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
TrueNAS is what I use, and I use Proxmox Backup server to back them up

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Well finally got new tires on the 4Runner after having to reschedule the appointment several time. Get there (Discount Tire) and find out they had been sent four tires in three sizes... So they upgraded from Falken Wildpeak A/T3W to BFG KO2 which seems good enough and they fit the "look tough" wife requirement. Turns out we got them just in time for a nice winter storm warning, 3-6 inches is a lot for this area and largely shuts down everything. We'll get to put them to the test Tuesday morning driving Wife into work.

Guess I'll spend today "cold proofing" the house as much as possible so we can hopefully get through this cold snap without issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

NitroSpazzz posted:

Well finally got new tires on the 4Runner after having to reschedule the appointment several time. Get there (Discount Tire) and find out they had been sent four tires in three sizes... So they upgraded from Falken Wildpeak A/T3W to BFG KO2 which seems good enough and they fit the "look tough" wife requirement. Turns out we got them just in time for a nice winter storm warning, 3-6 inches is a lot for this area and largely shuts down everything. We'll get to put them to the test Tuesday morning driving Wife into work.

Guess I'll spend today "cold proofing" the house as much as possible so we can hopefully get through this cold snap without issues.

But now the important question: white letters?