Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Happy New Years all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I got boosted in October plus the flu shot.

And since there is stairs in my house, hopefully I am protected.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Definitely don't put this up next to their signs

"But cosmic radiation is all natural"

- Actual argument I heard from a 5G nutcase.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Humphreys posted:

Idid have an ex that thought WIFI 2.4Ghz was the same as getting raw microwave power. I shoulda known she was a fucken idiot cos she was with me but that was the biggest warning, and Icouldnt convince her otherwise. But also then at the same time wouldn't let me drill a hole in the floor and run ethernet from her PC to the router. Went with Powerline ethernet bullshit lol

I mean, if that's true we can save a ton of money by placing our leftovers next to the router.

Follow me for more neat hacks!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

His Divine Shadow posted:

Can't wait for gamma-ray WiFi, finally a wifi that won't get blocked by walls.

The new 6G-X 802.11acx standard - for Long range, deep penetration communication.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Gonna be lazy and just quote myself from the Awesome thread:

Nice, I've got a few Matchbox and cars as well because my spouse keeps buying them for me:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Not Wolverine posted:

Are those Linux reference books up to date? Are they really more useful than like just using Google? I use a Linux PC as my daily driver and I know enough to keep the system from breaking, I would like to learn more, but I don't own any reference books and I'm not sure they would still be the best way to learn more. Like a looong time ago my step dad purchased a boxed set for Mandrake Linux, it had a dozen CDs and a thick book, and this was relevant and useful at the time because we were still on dialup.

Some of them are still relevant, but most of my modern books are at the office or in ebook format so I can use them on the road.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
TrueNAS is what I use, and I use Proxmox Backup server to back them up

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
You are gonna likely ground your server rack to that bonding bar, so its good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Humphreys posted:

In our country, we leave electrical work up to Electricians.

And we should leave mechanic work to mechanics. Welcome to AI.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

If the pipes float it's grover failing to understand that he lives in a god damned swamp.

Humphreys posted:

My post is a 'how to' on insulting americans and/or british.

I used to wire up military aircraft. I still get an electrician to do anything mains level in my house. Do you all not have certificates of work incase something fucks up that the law/insurance can go after when poo poo goes bad?

DIY'ing electrical work is not unusual in the US, usually anything up to the panel you can legally do yourself. Now, caveat, you should have someone come look at it and sign it off, but in most cases people are just replacing fixtures, outlets, and switches and that's not really something you absolutely have to have an electrician for as long as you know basic electronics and are not an idiot.

Its also important to note most of our electrical is 120/110, so a little bit safer than mucking about in a 240v circuit like you might in the UK or EU. Granted, I did my own 240v wiring for my server rack.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 18, 2024

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

In Finland you can technically pull the wire and connect everything yourself, but leave all the junction boxes and stuff open. Then have a licensed electrician sign off on it, assuming you can get someone to do it.

I had an electrician come by and basically document and give me the nod for my 240v wiring, so yeah same premise, but there's no requirement here to do that unless you are doing major work.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

randomidiot posted:

Plot twist: the HOA for the neighboring development will attempt to assimilate the property and fine you to death for disallowed outbuildings. And the color of the drapes.

Our Neighborhood is a mix of old development (1960s-1975) and new development (1985-1995) and there's HOA in the new neighborhood but not the old portions, which is fun when someone from the HOA came to bother me about my project cars in the back yard, and I had to point out that I'm not in their HOA.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ether Frenzy posted:

Earlier someone said "just hire an electrician", got pushback, and this is why I just pay experts now. Happy for everyone who saved the $300 doing it themselves and driving to Home Depot repeatedly, though.

....why repeatedly. I went once. Kinda helps if you take photos and document what you need.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

It's the "powered by" part I don't like. Given my history with Subarus and Subaru engines I don't want to know what my experience with wankels would be.

Apex Seals! :argh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah I want to switch the Q7 to smaller rims so I can run truck tires, which are cheaper than the thin profile tires for the 20" rims.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

Your Q7 needs Alpha Equip Echos in 18x9 sitting on Falken Wildpeaks (or Yokohama G015).

They look kinda like Fuchs wheels. I approve this plan.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Oof Porsche badging means it's gonna be extra, and I liked the other ones better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Another Covid vaxx booster done. Wonder how poo poo I'll feel tomorrow? Last one was a combo with flu Vax and that hit hard.

This round didn't phase me at all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Coivd booster trip report - stiff arm, horrible metal taste in the mouth, feeling a bit tired. Otherwise, no issues.9/10,will get boosted again

I guess the covid / flu combo booster is just plainly going to hit a lot harder because your immune system is trying to deal with two seperate things at once? Anyway going ot just get the flu booster later as a solo.

Also agreed, while I didnt like the covid/ful shot the actual flu sucks sooooo much worse. Also I had a long recovery time much like long covid - and NOW they loving tell us that yes, the flu actually CAN give you lingering problems. Geee thanks for that now, why didnt the doctors know that 5 years ago, is it because it's only now long viral issues are front and centre and it's being paid attention to?

I got flu shot and covid shot at the same time too. Your mileage may vary.

But I'll take scientific medical protection over gambling anyday

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Q7 TDI averages 25-28 on the highway, pretty good for a 5500 lb SUV. I can get 30-32 if I drive it gently

Wifes TDI gets 45-50 with the DSG

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 12, 2024

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I still want to make a turbodiesel-electric plugin hybrid. Just a diesel and a generatoe and an EV drivetrain.

Dreams.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

After starting out looking at propane catalyst heaters the one night, I got deep into looking at propane fuel cells.

Unfortunately they're not designed for intermittent use. You would still need a lot of batteries as a buffer.

Yeah which is why Diesel-Electric makes more sense - diesel fuel can be stored for long periods and it would vastly extend the range, and using it just to drive a generator lets you keep emissions in check since you can just run it at peak efficiency to top off the battery pack or directly drive the motors.

Like Edison Motors did with their diesel-electric semi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XKb4psc0vY

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah my Scion gets 22 city and only 23 hwy cuz I'm doing 75mph most of the time lol, plus it's shaped like a box so that doesn't help much at speed either

But its so cute. I love boxy monstrosities.

*googles how to mount a TDI into a Scion*

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MiniFoo posted:

I'm falling down the Assetto Corsa VR and modding hole, send help

I'm still enjoying Skyim Vr and Fallout 4 VR, so relaxing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

heffray posted:

Is there a reason to use runny loctite blue instead of the gel type? Gel actually stays in place and seems a lot more convenient.

My C5 is teaching me that 20 year old connectors can't be trusted, but also some of the wire harnesses are discontinued so I may have to get creative to get a reliable connection to my wheel speed sensors. This doesn't really bode well for newer, more computerized cars once those are 20 years old.

I can help you 3D model replacements and print them in ABS or Nylon, that's what I've been doing with my old Audi/Bosch connectors that are NLA.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Welp. I just got fired.
Well not technically fired, I'm on administrative leave until Wednesday.
But I'm pretty sure on Wednesday I'll be fired.

I'm so sorry dude :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wallaka posted:

Not these in particular, but they’re probably the same ones on aliexpress or banggood, and all of the “technical bricks” I’ve gotten from there have been really nice.

Sometimes kits even have the same set number as real Legos.

I want the knock-off Lego King Crab from Battletech/Mechwarrior:

https://hansenbricks.com/gallery/lego-battletech-mechwarrior-king-crab-mech/

big dong wanter posted:

So a colleague got killed at a workplace accident and i found out about it today, i go to check the news on the googles and i get a loving article from rupert loving murdoch about how we are overpaid. i swear to god there is no minecraft game that comes even close to what that motherfucker deserves.
If you ever buy one of his papers or contribute financially or whatever to his fuckhead empire gently caress you.
i stg if people working for that loving lich had a mortality rate like we do the world would be a far better place.

im going to calm down now by hugging my cat inbetween chainsmoking and pacing around the yard.

if i ever meet the person who wrote that loving tripe or the big man himself im going to loving pissboard them.

stay safe at work, gently caress news corp, and all power to the union

Know who is overpaid?

Rupert Murdoch.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The only good use for Imperial sockets is when you round off a metric nut you can hammer a size too small imperial onto it to use a large breaker bar.

Yup. Metric every time. I only use the imperial sizes on odd things anymore.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Humphreys posted:

On the eve of Insignia supporting Halo 2 online play again...

Oooo, love that Binocular microscope.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Humphreys posted:

It's Tri-nocular! I just havent paid the dumb money for cameras yet. Also found out my cheap 18650 scope can run off USB as a Webcan and fits in the 3rd hole

Really need one of those for SMD soldering.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Its okay, Dubai just steals cars from other countries.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ether Frenzy posted:

What happened is Reaganism and Thatcherism ended social programs for mental illness and drug addiction. Those carefully curated videos of a 2 block radius of drug users in inner city areas you'd have to literally go out of your way to find and travel to in order to make stupid videos are the result of the childish thinking those philosophies are built on, which results in the "social decay" that is actually the end stage of drug addiction.

Providing help for these people years before they reach this stage would be easier, cheaper, and better for everyone in society - but then the desired level of state-sanctioned cruelty would not be achieved and conservative politicians would have no platform to run on.

gently caress Dubai, I'm a straight white guy and I'll never go. The idea that a totalitarian state "functions" better as a city than a city in the democratic West is laughable.

When I deployed to Qatar, they said a lot of the same things - low/no crime, you can keep your car unlocked during the day!

Completely skipped that women are basically second class citizens at best if not straight up prisoners in their own country, have a bunch essentially slave labor due to their foreign worker visa stuff, and have UBI for native born spoiled assholes but nobody else.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Imagine being a woman trying to navigate that place, gently caress that

Yup. gently caress that. They held the last Chess grandmaster competition in Saudi Arabia and Anna Muzychuk refused to go, rightfully so because she'd basically be treated as human trash while there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I'm just glad y'all actually handle edge cases like that because web developers and mobile app people....... Don't.

And it means that as a living breathing walking edge case, my modern software experience is horrific.

Makes my job fun at least.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

trilobite terror posted:

woke up this morning, got yourself a passport

Oh no, the mods took your passport. You can't leave.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Advent Horizon posted:

I was changing out my snow tires this afternoon and had a thought - how old is everyone’s jar of anti-seize?

Mine has to be at least 20 year now but it’s finally running low.

My copper antiseize is newer, but still at least 5 years old, my silver antieseize is easily 10 years old.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I don't use anti-seize or copper paste. I might lightly grease surfaces using ordinary yellowish fat.

You should see a doctor about that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Making me feel good about having a '10, but then I daily an '86 that is having a mechanical mid life crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I am become death, destroyer of hearts