Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Darchangel posted:

Whoah. Mind. Blown.

Combine it with a log enough crazy straw and you're set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
The new Dodge pickups do that with the fog lights, slow speed and turn the wheel enough and it turns that side on. I think the ones on my Buick were turn signal activated and were like turning on a floodlight on that side of the car.

e: I think I have a physical copy of Fedora 7 from the dial up days, the book probably taught me more about computers than I ever learned in school.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 13, 2024

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Humphreys posted:

In our country, we leave electrical work up to Electricians.

I make my living by testing and then fixing their mistakes, why not cut out the middleman and only have my own mistakes to deal with? "No user serviceable components inside" is a challenge, not a warning.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Do all your plumbing with welded stainless, who gives a gently caress what the threads are then.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Elviscat posted:

The lazy-man's socket weld: screw NPT stainless fittings together and run a bead around the outside.

E: I am completely broke, but my house will crumble around the plumbing.

Sounds like you plumbed your house with swagelok tube and fittings. "Yeah it cost me a fortune but no leaks."

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Elviscat posted:

I really wish I could use thread sealant, the piece of equipment I was mad at when I replied about NPT earlier is this janky pos, thread tape only because engineers can't be bothered to look up another Qualified Product, the SS galls to itself non-stop, our 10+ years experience techs won't stop putting thread tape on the 37⁰ fittings, which makes THEM gall, it's a man-portable piece of equipment, rated to a maximum of 120PSIG, but uses a 3000PSIG rated accumulator, so it weighs 80 lbs (but is marked as "about 50 lbs" on the name plate, put a stop to that poo poo and put "two person lift" stickers all over it).

Anyways, I like o-rings.

Swagelok has a lovely display at the Albany Airport.

Team Swagelock for lyfe, suck it Parker.

Locktite 592. There's also a grey thread tape I use for SS fittings that prevents galling.

Parker valves always leak for some reason, leaks disappear when you replace them with Swagelok. It's only mineral oil, not like it's hf acid or something nasty like that.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

slidebite posted:

I just hope both the posters mentioned get help and do well.

Actually, that goes for everyone :3:

:same:

Elviscat posted:

The floor near the toilet goes down about 1/2" when I walk on it right now, hopefully that doesn't somehow get worse.

E: I'm also working 5x12s + 1x8 for the foreseeable future, so I dunno how I'm going to keep the lawn mowed much less built anything.
I found out why my living room floor does that, only plywood where the old chimney was. This is the same spot where the audio stuff all sits and the reason I can't setup a turntable in there. : (

Let us know how long it takes to lose track of the day of the week.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I wanna go skating on the pond and it’s not cold enough.

I like winter, and it’s a shame it will never happen again.

Rain, more rain, snow then -10f, back to more rain. The pond used to freeze over in November.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Advent Horizon posted:

Careful telling people that or The Bobs might fix the glitch.
Then burn the building down?

Passed a cop doing well over 100mph today. My blood still runs cold when that happens, legal or not.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
A TBI 5.7l from 1992 will also get over 20mpg if you can keep it under 70, but only 200hp. GM somehow separated displacement from fuel economy in the 80s to a degree where going from a 4cyl in a Wrangler to a 5.3 V8 gets you from 16mpg into the low 20s by going up in displacement. For efficiency reasons we should all be driving cars powered by supercharged 3800s.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
The 20mpg was in a C2500, so a full size pickup. There are few good reasons cars today should get less than 30mpg highway if a 4200lb Buick from 1999 can.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Big V8 sedans were only normal mainstream cars in the US in that timeframe. The rest of the world leaned in hard on smaller-size, smaller-displacement cars with things like taxation on engine displacement providing additional incentive to do so.

While this is true, it's more to do with how godawful the AMC motors are. The 2.5 and 4.0 never got a real friction reduction diet - they went to a lower friction piston and all that seemed to get them was more piston skirt failures. Non-crossflow heads that flow like poo poo. Non-crossflow heads that mean your intake and exhaust manifolds also flow like poo poo, and are bolted to each other to get that intake charge nice and toasty. Flat tappet cams. It was all minimal-possible-changes applied to an engine that was designed in the 1960s to be as cheap as possible.

The LS will get you a lot more performance and an improvement in fuel economy, but if you target "a little" more performance instead of "a lot", VW TDIs and the Cummins R2.8 will get you even better mileage than the LS.

Yeah the AMC motors suck but the GM engines seem to get far better fuel economy than smaller displacement similar motors. If I replace the AJ8 (4.0L) with a LS1 or LS2 the I'm seeing claimed 5mpg mileage improvement with 1.7 to 2L more of displacement and 50-100 more horsepower.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

trilobite terror posted:

IIRC RCR got like 32/33 MPG on the highway somewhat recently in an early 2000s Z06 (it was one of their giveaway cars)

obvi we should all be driving Corvettes, especially since we’re all middle aged as gently caress here
Does that mean I need to start using hair dye to hide the grey?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

trilobite terror posted:

lol I am fully bald

And approaching middle age? Sounds like you need a Corvette and a toupée. I'd advise against a convertable.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm always somewhat amazed when I ride in (fairly expensive) new Ubers and there's virtually no sound deadening and very cheap feeling light suspension/rough rides, but that's fuel economy for you.

Last time I flew into MSY the last rental was a Kia, I could barely fit my legs under the dash and was so loud on the drive across lake Pontchartrain I had to put earplugs in.

Captain McAllister posted:

I've used the blue gel on my Husky 701 the last few years, because a big thumper will shake the poo poo out of some fasteners after a while.

There were a lot of parts that got safety wire on the ATK.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Deteriorata posted:

Per US Dept. of Labor Statistics as of 2018, the most dangerous jobs:

code:
Job					Death Rate (per 100,000 workers)
1. Logging				111
2. Aircraft Pilots		  	53 (almost entirely private flights)
3. Derrick Operator			46
4. Roofers				41
5. Garbage Collectors			34
6. Ironworkders 			29
7. Delivery Drivers			27
8. Farmers				26
9. Firefighters                    	20
10. Power Linemen           		20
11. Agriculture workers   		20 (hired migrant workers, as opposed to farm owners)
12. Crossing Guards       		19
13. Crane Operators         		19
14. Construction Helpers		18
15. Landscapers             		18
16. Highway Maintenance			18
17. Cement Masons        		17
18. Small Engine Mechanics		15 (almost entirely due to on-site repairs)
19. Mechanic Supervisors		15 (violence from people and animals)
20. Heavy Vehicle Mechanics	 	14
21. Grounds Maintenance        		14
22. Police Officers                     14
23. General Maintenance          	14
24. Construction Workers         	13
25. Mining Machine Ops.          	11
Source: https://www.ishn.com/articles/112748-top-25-most-dangerous-jobs-in-the-united-states

Looking through the list it looks like falls, vehicle accidents, rotating equipment/crushed, mostly people being oblivious to their surroundings. I cant remember how many times I've had people walk right under the load I have hanging from a crane or ignore the danger high voltage testing signs and tape. Number 19 is odd to me though, are there that many people getting killed over auto repairs?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I want to see it on an European city street.

Why would anyone want a daily that feels like driving a dually with a service body on it?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
A full set of torx, seems like they're all over anything newer than 2000s vintage. Like mentioned earlier the tools I would bring with are very dependent on what I'd be going after.

19mm - 3/4 and 8mm - 5/16 are the only two sizes I found to interchange across every tool brand I've used. The cheaper the hardware or tools the more the different standards are interchangeable.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Sales said to make product B do what product A can, nevermind that B was designed to do half the things A does for half the cost. Then its "hey, why is product B crashing and product A not selling anymore.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Close, but it's actually "Executives/clients come up with stupidass poo poo and devs do their bidding while mocking them on slack and then maliciously complying to make it worse for the lol's because nothing critical is being damaged, and that's how the paycheck continues to come in while they REDACTED"

You're not supposed to give away all their secrets, I wont complain as long as they will still answer the phone and help me troubleshoot.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Ships Insurance: "Bridges fall down all the time, if anything we should be going after you for your bridge falling on our client's ship."

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It was a frozen California Pizza Kitchen brand, BBQ Chicken. Not bad actually for frozen.

My son had just made it and I just went to grab a slice quick not realizing it just came out of the oven and YOWZA

Yet the dog can choke one down cardboard and all in the time it takes you to walk to the living room and turn on the TV and back.

Good luck getting your guts back to semi normal.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Only one car I have isn't old enough for collectors plates, two more years and I'll only need to register one car every year.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

trilobite terror posted:

Every couple of years I wistfully look at 8 series and watch the prices on them tick farther away from comfortable attainability, especially the manuals

I've wanted a CTS V wagon or 540i wagon with a manual for some time now, the autos are still somewhat affordable but the manuals are selling for more than they did new. I've kinda given up on my rocket wagon.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I just realized more about the 911’s secret menu. It can display 32 different parameters and you can scroll through them. Not bad for a 25 year old car.

My Jetta had something like that on the climate control, when it broke and I replaced it I lost that feature.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Hey, anyone wanna see a straight 8?

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Helped drag this on the trailer on Friday, literally dragged on the trailer since the tire/rims my dad brought with had too small of a hub diameter. The 60s vintage tires were in rough shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Its pretty clean for a 1938, looks like two patches need to be welded in around the rear bumper and the surface rust underneath it needs treatment. There are a lot of seized controls and a some dents here and there but its complete with less than 40k miles on it. I wanted to pull the valve cover but ran out of time, there was a lot to do yesterday before the thunderstorms came through.