Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

With how poor the reviews were for 2023, I'm surprised it got a sequel. Extending the runtime is a ballsy move, too.

It rained here last night. 2 years ago it was -35*c on New Years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I did it!

Prestone 50/50

https://i.imgur.com/KcObkEc.mp4

Rotella T6 0W40

https://i.imgur.com/zoC1EEz.mp4

Propane

https://i.imgur.com/zO0dbuX.mp4

propane accessories

https://i.imgur.com/bDOtqq1.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/dZdjAEf.mp4

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 13, 2024

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

What was the temp when you took the video? -45?

According to my thermometer, ERROR*c. The Flir just bounces off -60*C.

Weather Canada says -43.5

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I would like to taste the forbidden slurpee.

My mind did suggest to me that the propane looks cool and refreshing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

No diesel?

Whats the procedure for making coolant with a lower freezing point? Do you mix more coolant and less water? IIRC most of the time 50/50 coolant - water is like -40 or -45. So if its say 60/40 coolant to water does it lower the freezing point?

I didn't feel like siphoning cold diesel out of the truck.

60/40 freezes at -52*c, 70/30 at -70*c, but it also won't cool as well when it hits +35*c in 6 months.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

Goddamn how dystopian it is to be afraid of an ambulance picking you up because it's too expensive.

I once had an ambulance called for me, they showed up, couldn't do poo poo because they couldn't administer pain meds to move me, waited 10 minutes for a better ambulance to show up and then billed me $200. I have also driven to the hospital in "shouldn't be driving" condition to avoid an ambulance.

In my own news I entered two of my cars into a value estimator.
'07 yaris diesel with 425,000km on it = 6600€
'05 Mazda with 225,000km on it: 4400€

Lmao none of these cars are worth over 2000€, maybe not even 1500€

Got me beat. (there is no 1999 option)

Shame it lost 2/3rds of it's value in 10 years :(

At least the American site knows what's up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Humphreys posted:

Cracked two of my low profile rims today on our wonderful Queensland roads. Lucky I have spare sets of tyre/wheel packages. Only lost about 30 minutes of the day.

When i had the BMW i had low profile tires and lost 3 tires and bent 1 rim all within like 6 months.

I'm a sidewall guy now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm doing the timing belt in my AE86 GTS and the cost and rarity of of the "while you're in there" stuff, is a pain in the rear end. an 4.8/5.3 LS is probably cheaper if you don't have the engine yet.

Even once you get past the fact that there were basically 3 different corollas in 87, there are a whole bunch of different accessory belts based on A/C, power steering, and build date. What my car actually had on it, Rock auto s for the FX16 which is the FWD hatch. I've also got A/C, Power steering and a final month build date

Can you guess which belt is the hard to find one?

All the bits are adorably small though. 3.7l of oil, 5.6 liters of coolant, 1.7 liters of transmission fluid, 1.5 liters of diff oil.

My truck takes 16 liters of oil, 37 liters of coolant, 17 liters of transmission fluid, 3.3 liters of diff oil.

JDM engines in general have gone up significantly R32 GTRs used to be $8k here, now Engine+Trans+diff is $25k. Toyota 1GZs were $2500, now they're $4k-$6k.

Speaking of my truck, someone broke into my truck outside Home Depot today, completely hosed up the door lock to the point where it doesn't even lock anymore. They tried to start it with something plastic, stole my 4xl winter jacket and a bag of stuff from princess auto that had the receipt in it. They dropped a small backpack of drugs and phone chargers in the truck so they're probably about as pissed off as i am.

Someone found the princess auto bag in a store parking lot a couple blocks away and drove to princess auto to get it back to me. I figured the thieves would have tried to return the stuff with the receipt but obviously found something better in someone elses vehicle.

I'm going to mount the largest air horn i can find under the dash and mount it to a button in place of the original ignition cylinder. I'm almost tempted to shave the door handles too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I dunno but the first is what I would call normal for a normal sized car, but I suspect the overton window for cars has shifted a lot in the US.

I guess the 7.3 liter v8 is probably the odd one but it’s smaller than the engine in my other car :shrug:

This is the first inline 4 I’ve owned, also The first n/a 4 cylinder.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

:cries in porsche:

For fucks sake, loving meth-head backpack zombies. I'm sorry to hear that man.

They're superior german parts though right :ohdear:

It's getting kind of hosed up again.

The Canadian Tire has a dude in a tactical vest with "loss prevention officer" written on it, and aviators walking around the store now. Going into the store the other day there were a bunch of itunes gift cards scattered all over the parking lot.

The one on the north end burned down last year because someone lit a propane tank on fire inside the store so they could steal a vacuum cleaner. The liquor store in the parking lot there has anti-theft devices on every bottle.

Home depot apparently has plain clothes loss prevention dudes.

Still, someone found my bag of stuff in a parking lot and drove out of their way to bring it back to the store. The good people far outnumber the bad, but one rear end in a top hat can do so much damage.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

So you’ve got a Cadillac 500 or one of the many Ford 460s?

I’m trying to imagine what you’d have where a 445 in a sedan/coupe is your smaller engine

73 Mark IV with the 460. the 7.3 is the powerstroke in my truck. The two combined are 14.8 liters and nearly 450hp.

Raluek posted:

i think this is backwards. the 80s and 90s artificially shifted the window towards the small displacement end, but now we're back closer to where we started.

used to be, a normal sedan would be like an impala with a 327, a fairlane with 292, a coronet with a 318. then things got lovely for a bit, american manufacturers lost their way for a couple decades cause they couldn't stop trampling their own dicks and eating poo poo. the overton window shifted to 90HP 4-cyl motors for a while.

you don't have many options if you want to buy a V8 family sedan anymore (just the charger, which is on death's door), but pickup trucks fill that niche now. so probably the average american family has something with a normal-sized motor. if you have a short attention span, maybe it looks like the expectation of displacement has shifted hard towards the higher end of the scale, but it's really just a reversion to normalcy.

i hope it stays, so we have plenty of fun donors for years to come, but the way things are trending, we're probably headed for another dark age. time will tell i guess.

On the other hand, displacement in trucks is going down.

The F-150 offers a 165 ci 6 cylinder, Smaller than the 170ci i6 in the first mustang.
The two engines offered in the 2025 Ram 1500 are 220ci and 183 ci

GM is rumored to be coming out with an 8.3 liter Duramax

Powershift fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 11, 2024

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I still want to make a turbodiesel-electric plugin hybrid. Just a diesel and a generatoe and an EV drivetrain.

Dreams.

After starting out looking at propane catalyst heaters the one night, I got deep into looking at propane fuel cells.

Unfortunately they're not designed for intermittent use. You would still need a lot of batteries as a buffer.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think it''s more "cheap as gently caress turbo I6" that even Barra from a junkyard taxi can't match.

The Atlas can't match the Barra or 2JZ for the big power but I would be fairly confident that gaining good hp out of one will be shitloads cheaper... and if the block costs next to nothing you can boost and not care if it holes the block going too far.

Of course if you lift the head you're in for an ordeal. Even pre-emptively replacing the head bolts can be rough.

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm working on it. With the added difficulty of making homebrew biodiesel because might as well go all the way.

finding 2M70s in the yards now... TDI bell adapters exist for the GM smallblock pattern...
Also have an early prius transaxle to play with plus a tdi...

I thought the 2ML70 was WHY GMT hybrids were in the yards now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Ah it took after the 4l60 I see

Though the lexus longitudinal box is probably easier to work with.

The problem is that once the partnership with Daimler was dissolved, everybody just stopped making them, and stopped making parts, and stopped sharing the forbidden knowledge needed to rebuild them.

Pomp and Circumcized was using a lexus box to electrify an RX7 some time ago, although he has since ripped it all out for an F20c

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911577

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can get 21-22mpg at 100kph without a canopy.

120kph with a canopy i'm down to ~14mpg.

The torque converter locks up at ~65kph and it will idle around town. If i would stay out of the boost it would probably get pretty crazy city mileage.

The lincoln is at like 10mpg around town but i also really enjoy driving it. I'll take the $10 in fuel to run errands.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 13, 2024

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mr-Spain posted:

Was going about some random stuff on the SS and me and my buddy were kinda suspect about the condition of the oil; cut it open to some glitter;

Going to sell my whipple to get some cash for a local builder to do a 416 stroker on the LS3, with cam and a converter for the cam.
My first thought:

Not Wolverine posted:

What is the point of the Ford Godzilla engine? It's a 7.3L gas engine, in superduty pickups it makes 430hp, 475ft-lbs so it's not a really high power output engine, for comparison, a Ford 6.2L V8 is 385hp and 430ft-lbs.

It's a replacement for the 6.8 V10, and is the base engine in the F-650 and F-750 and stripped chassis(motorhomes, delivery vans)

Area under the graph is important, It makes 350ft/lbs at the wheels at 2200rpm, the 6.2 doesn't get there until 3500.

Fuel economy at low load will be worse. longevity at high load will be much better.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 13, 2024

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Not Wolverine posted:

Despite being critical of Godzilla, I don't think it is necessarily a bad engine, I think it's an impressive cool design. What I dislike about is simply that it's a new design which seems like a lot of money to spend on a niche market, and I think commercial vehicles could have also used another mod motor version instead.

I think you misunderestimate the number of F-53/59s ford builds. The Avon Lake plant that only builds 7.3 powered vehicles, most without bodies, has more hourly employees than the flat rock plant that builds 100k mustangs a year. The Windsor engine plant that only builds the 7.3 has more hourly employees than the Essex plant that builds the 5.0

Think of it this way. The 6.2 is a passenger vehicle engine that can tow sometimes. The 7.3 godzilla is a commercial engine that the F350 gets as a treat. The 6.8 V10 is a boat anchor and a half.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Not Wolverine posted:

I honestly had no idea that Ford gas engines were used in Class A motorhomes, I just assumed they would all be a Cummins or Detroit diesel at this point.

That said, in the F150 today, the 3.5L EcoBoost has a little more power than the 5.0L V8, the EcoBoost also has a slightly higher towing capacity. However, is it safe to say that the the 5.0 V8 is likely to be a more durable engine than the EcoBoost simple due to being a naturally aspirated and lower power engine?

You probably also didn't know about Ford's secret best vehicle.

The 2025 Econoline cutaway.

-Front engine, rear wheel drive
-7.3 and 6 speed auto are both good for 1000hp on stock internals.
-under 40 grand, cheaper than a V8 mustang
-already has the maximum stage of weight reduction.
-33rd year of the 4th gen econoline so they should have things figured out.
-The only screen is the segment LCD in the AM/FM radio

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bathurst 12 hour is starting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_CTjle7xC0

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My signature move is "I'll just patch it in a hackey way for now and fix it right when i get the chance" turning into a permanent fix.

The poor person who bought my old truck probably hates me. Sorry about all the JB weld but some of it held up for 100k before it even got to you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

To my knowledge it's the opposite. Retaining compound is for poo poo that is not supposed to come apart. Period. I've got some green stuff from Loctite - don't recall the number - and it kind of scares me. I haven't used it yet and don't know of anything specific that would require it, but I got some should the need arise.

In my experience, it's specifically for the hardest to reach valve cover bolt.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Yeah, my 77 Mk V is 79.7 before mirrors and is what everyone would consider “a tank.” 87 inches wide is just unmanageable. It won’t fit in a lot of places (read: drivethru)

If it’s anything like my Mark IV, the mirrors aren’t even the widest part of the car. It’s about 80” wide at the arches and maybe 74” at the mirrors.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So all the poo poo going on with Boeing and a whistleblower is found dead in his truck outside the hotel he was staying at whilst giving legal interviews about all of his claims?

That's not suspicious at all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68534703

Anyway I'm going on a Boeing next week so if I don't chat bullshit for a while then I have died in a lovely plane made by corner-cutting arseholes and you need to avenge me. Thank you.

Bring a parachute.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Goodwood Members meeting is on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtsa5oqf5mQ

https://i.imgur.com/ntFSYYJ.mp4

Powershift fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 14, 2024

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Humphreys posted:

A fun thing is that when I use my OBD to check things with the Torque app. It does SOMETHING and then the car flags a stability control issue on the dash. NEVER when the app is not in use. I keep the OBD plugged in at all times (Bluetooth)

Torque pro shuts off powerstrokes when it tries to connect, although most regular code readers do too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fortunately for me, I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Good thing I don't work on cars too much anymore, these days my rage comes from just driving around and dealing with complete idiots on the road.

The smartphone has hosed things up in so many ways but for driving it has to be the worst, the amount of people i see on their phones while driving is astonishing

Not just on their phones, but complete attention devoted to their phones, only being pulled away by rumble strips or a large thud.