Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
No diesel?

Whats the procedure for making coolant with a lower freezing point? Do you mix more coolant and less water? IIRC most of the time 50/50 coolant - water is like -40 or -45. So if its say 60/40 coolant to water does it lower the freezing point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

kastein posted:

Don't even get me loving started on that. There are like a dozen thread standards and fitting types I have to deal with. Let's see...
NPT commonly used on vacuum barbs, etc
NPS (straight instead of tapered threads) is used on many GM transmission cooler lines
Imperial ORB
metric ORB
JIS flare
Imperial flare
Metric flare
AN flare
AN flare with Schrader valve
DIN ISO bubble flare
Quick connect
BSPP
BSPT
Multiple sizes and types of banjo bolt and fitting

naturally I never ever have the correct size or adapter on hand.

You forgot ORFS

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Darchangel posted:

Nah, happens all the time. Sometimes my own tools ("there's where I put that!"), sometime previous owner, and sometimes some random guy who left it in the car in the wrecking yard. Turns out, I'm the guy who *finds* the 10mm sockets...
Seriously - I have 3 1/4" drive 10mm short sockets now, not including the one in the "travel" tool bag. I had 4, but the Snap-On one I found turned out to have been thrown out because it was cracked open. Yes, I probably could have taken it to a Snap-On truck, but then I'd have to find and deal with a Snap-On truck.

I never lose 10mm sockets and am also the one who seems to have an excess of them.

Including one that has the initials of my highschool engraved in to it.
I did take auto shop there a few times, but I have no idea why I have a random 10mm socket that once belonged to a highschool that I graduated from 25+ years ago.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I know that npt threads are *supposed* to seal by thread distortion but I've never seen npt threads that would actually seal that way unless they were cranked down harder than Soulja boy ever cranked anything. And they were impossible for me to get off using a 36" pipe wrench. Probably should have used a 48 I guess.

So my solution is either thread dope or Teflon tape and tighten it till is "tight". Never had a single loving leak doing that unless I didnt put enough dope or put the tape on in the wrong direction. Both of those my fault obviously. Thousands of uses at thousands of PSIs and no leaks.

slidebite posted:

Tons of npt on hydraulics, *mostly* trouble free.

The problems often come from using thread tape.

But yeah, just avoid taper pipe threads in general is usually good advice.

It's good for the valve business tho

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

slidebite posted:

The problem isn't so much using thread sealant itself, as with most things, It's doing it improperly.

Using it so it gets into the system causes havoc on valves, especially extremely low clearance servo.

That jerky jerky motion you see on poorly maintained hydraulics is very often related to sticking valves because of that... And other various reasons.

So It's best to just use connections that don't need sealant at all. Although that won't stop many people from using thread sealant on threads for face/seat sealing surfaces lol.

Yeah most of the newer stuff my company has is sealed with ORB or ORFS which is nice except when the O ring falls out of the face on ORFS fittings.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Many years ago a friend in highschool's dad had a shopping cart with the basket cut off, and a couple of braces welded at the front of the horizontal "U" shaped part that the basket sat on and it was just about perfect to cart (no pun intended) a small block chevy around.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I wish STR/Random Idiot the best, I really do.

We all (or most of us) remember when the guy whose name we try not to mention made his fire filled departure from the forums.
A gang of motherfuckers here basically said "the one thing that all of your hosed up relationships have in common is YOU".

Perhaps the same thing applies here.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'm not saying str is like you know who, but they can still have a similar issue. Wrt life choices that aren't the greatest for their personal lives/health etc. whether or not the system is partly or fully at fault in either of their cases.

I probably didn't explain that well.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Yup, stay away from the great lakes area, nothing to see here, you got plenty of water where y'all are right now, no need for anyone to move here, it's like they say "Onterrible" and so on. There's lots of fresh water everywhere else no need to come here, you're good where you are thanks.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

kastein posted:

I don't do rotaries. I'm happy for people who enjoy them but not for me.

I didn't want to be carried off by mosquitoes anymore either.

Not that many until you go up in to shield country. Then it's black flies too

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

But not much in the way of hospitals.

Thats ok. Most Americans can't afford hospitals, so why bother living near one?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I still have the Buffalo Bills to whine about so there's that :v:

NGL
As someone who grew up across the river from the Bills, I'm quite happy to see them get knocked out every year.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

His Divine Shadow posted:

I notice the speeds you're talking, doing 80mph (129kph) and 90mph (144kph). Those are not common speeds here. In fact there's nowhere in Finland you can drive 140 on a public road and not instalose your license and get hefty fines if caught.

Max legally you can drive anywhere is 120kph or just under 75mph and let me tell you cops here care a lot more about people adhering to speed limits than they do in america, there are no unspoken rules about flow of traffic or the like. Never mind the constant expansion of traffic cameras. My own experience is traffic closely follows the signed speeds with a few exceptions.

So I dunno if it's humanly possible (and without getting shot at by other people on the road) for you to drive say 60 for a few dozen miles, but I think you'd be getting different mileages then. I certainly notice mileage gets affected a lot by speeds over 100kph.

If you're referring to Soichan's post, I'm pretty sure that was KMH not MPH. As Thunder Bay (Ontario) and Winnipeg were mentioned.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Holy gently caress I can't believe they still make those.

I guess if they sell enough to the ambulance, short bus etc companies then why not?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

heffray posted:

Is there a reason to use runny loctite blue instead of the gel type? Gel actually stays in place and seems a lot more convenient.

My C5 is teaching me that 20 year old connectors can't be trusted, but also some of the wire harnesses are discontinued so I may have to get creative to get a reliable connection to my wheel speed sensors. This doesn't really bode well for newer, more computerized cars once those are 20 years old.

If you have enough wire, can't you just buy some wire connectors from napa, or some electronics store, cut the old ones off and wire up the new ones?

E: I don't know how good these particular ones are, but this is definitely available to us commoners.
https://www.amazon.ca/TING-Waterpro...f9e6ba75b58d22d

Then you just get wire of the appropriate gauge and colour bing bang boom. Start selling this poo poo to your fellow old people.

E2: This one is more expensive but it looks to be GM connectors:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pco-0004-og4

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 23, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

heffray posted:

: relative resistance factors into this system's behavior, and adding an extra crimp and a random plug might change that enough to matter.

Got ya.
This is something I've actually wondered recently. What types of systems might rely on resistance (among other things) to function properly where adding an extra length of wire for *some reason that might be somewhat valid at the time* might cause a malfunction due to too much resistance in the circuit.

Or possibly not enough resistance.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

slidebite posted:

Talking about loctite/thread lockers/anti seize,

I just wanted to say that if anyone here ever has the opportunity to get into a Henkel (loctite parent company) technical seminar, it is amazingly informative. The number of products they have, including different types of thread lockers/retaining compound/anti-seize, and tons of other stuff, is just amazing

I'm going to take a wild guess that retaining compound is some sort of glue like poo poo that keeps a bolt from rattling off while still leaving it able to be turned with only a minimal effort? As opposed to thread locker that might require a torch?

Right? Wrong?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

To my knowledge it's the opposite. Retaining compound is for poo poo that is not supposed to come apart. Period. I've got some green stuff from Loctite - don't recall the number - and it kind of scares me. I haven't used it yet and don't know of anything specific that would require it, but I got some should the need arise.

Looked it up, it appears to be glue for poo poo thats not threaded.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Sodomizing the earth is dangerous.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I'm pretty much a lumberjack in the bathroom.
Every time I take a dump I'm dropping logs all in that.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Hell of a gently caress up, holy poo poo.

From what I've read in the OSHA thread in gbs, the ship lost power multiple times and there was a wind blowing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

The Door Frame posted:

Shouldn't there have been a tug or two if they were having engine problems in a shipping lane? I wonder who's going to be on the hook for this one

Probably, but if it was already under way, and the whole thing happened in the span of a few minutes, there might not have been time to get tugs there, hooked up and then able to stop or redirect millions of pounds.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If dale had been driving that ship, the boat and bridge would have suffered minor damage, but all the crew on board would have had their brain stems detach from their spinal cords.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Just watched the movie "two lane black top" starring James Taylor and Dennis Wilson. Thought it was good but kinda weird at the same time. I've heard it described as "easy rider but with no drugs, and cars instead of motorcycles".

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's a good AI type of movie imo, and the weirdness makes it good. James Taylor isn't the greatest actor which gives it some of that weirdness lol.

I had a copy on VHS back in the day, I wonder if it's on Blu ray now.

If anyone in AI hasn't seen it yet it should be required viewing on some sort of AI movie list.

Criterion collection did some sort of restoration with some commentary and what not and out it out on DVD a while back. I picked up my copy on nozama

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Ether Frenzy posted:

Dennis Wilson is also the beach boy who was in thrall to Charles Manson because Manson brought him 14 year old girls to have sex with. James Taylor sang Carole King's "You've Got a Friend" and made it somehow more treacly, it's up to the listener to decide who is actually worse.

How the gently caress did I know?

Is there anyone famous from back then who wasnt: racist, anti-gay or didn't have sex with girls under the age of 18?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

No worries. Just seems like every famous person from "back then" was racist, wife beater (forgot that one), anti-gay or had sex with girls under the age of whatever the gently caress.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

fridge corn posted:

I've been tasked with making a playlist of songs about cars/driving for reasons. There are a lot of songs about cars and and driving and I quickly amassed a list of over 300. Anyway, looking for more obscure records I might have overlooked so gimmie your best songs about cars

I know young people these days hate the Beach Boys because boomers love them, but I assume you've got a bunch of their poo poo in there?
Jan and Dean (Boomers probably love them too I guess) Surf City, Dead Man's Curve, Little Old Lady From Pasadena.
Ronnie and the Daytonas (Little) GTO
Rip Chords Hey Little Cobra.
Various Artists have done this one: Hotrod Lincoln
Chuck Berry Maybelline
Wilson Pickett Mustang Sally

Maybe you've already got got those ones.

This isn't a car song, or a "song about driving" but its a dope track for when you're driving. Not sitting in traffic, not driving really fast or whatever the gently caress, just when you're fuckin rolling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_SxhgSAkF8

E: Also this one is dope for driving at night during a thunder storm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2HHT7txFQ0

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

They should do a study on the Geotechnical drilling industry. If you add up all the times I've been near frothing at the mouth over the last 21 years it probably a year straight.