Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Quoting from the outgoing thread:

WTFBEES posted:

Agreed. Best case you panic my poor cat all night. Worst case you light off this tinderbox of a state. Either way cut that poo poo out.

I'm sure the only way they go back to making fireworks illegal here is if the wrong person gets their house torched. Until then we get hours of explosions every NYE and July 4th, and "everyone rolled coal at once" air quality the next morning. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Chicago is an extreme outlier in that regard, though. They also won't let you run any wiring outside of a conduit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

i think this is backwards. the 80s and 90s artificially shifted the window towards the small displacement end, but now we're back closer to where we started.

used to be, a normal sedan would be like an impala with a 327, a fairlane with 292, a coronet with a 318. then things got lovely for a bit, american manufacturers lost their way for a couple decades cause they couldn't stop trampling their own dicks and eating poo poo. the overton window shifted to 90HP 4-cyl motors for a while.

you don't have many options if you want to buy a V8 family sedan anymore (just the charger, which is on death's door), but pickup trucks fill that niche now. so probably the average american family has something with a normal-sized motor. if you have a short attention span, maybe it looks like the expectation of displacement has shifted hard towards the higher end of the scale, but it's really just a reversion to normalcy.

i hope it stays, so we have plenty of fun donors for years to come, but the way things are trending, we're probably headed for another dark age. time will tell i guess.

Big V8 sedans were only normal mainstream cars in the US in that timeframe. The rest of the world leaned in hard on smaller-size, smaller-displacement cars with things like taxation on engine displacement providing additional incentive to do so.

SpeedFreek posted:

going from a 4cyl in a Wrangler to a 5.3 V8 gets you from 16mpg into the low 20s by going up in displacement. For efficiency reasons we should all be driving cars powered by supercharged 3800s.

While this is true, it's more to do with how godawful the AMC motors are. The 2.5 and 4.0 never got a real friction reduction diet - they went to a lower friction piston and all that seemed to get them was more piston skirt failures. Non-crossflow heads that flow like poo poo. Non-crossflow heads that mean your intake and exhaust manifolds also flow like poo poo, and are bolted to each other to get that intake charge nice and toasty. Flat tappet cams. It was all minimal-possible-changes applied to an engine that was designed in the 1960s to be as cheap as possible.

The LS will get you a lot more performance and an improvement in fuel economy, but if you target "a little" more performance instead of "a lot", VW TDIs and the Cummins R2.8 will get you even better mileage than the LS.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

See, now that I would love to shove into some small and '70s/80s RWD.

If I haven't already made myself obvious, my dream engine choices for the TJ are either some form of small diesel (Cummins 2.8, Duramax 2.8, Duramax 3.0), the Atlas 4200, or the GM 2.7T.

Annoyingly, the only engine choice that's a known easy way through AZ emissions on a TJ, is the LS. The 2.7T will probably join it by virtue of having a modern GM ECM, and technically the Atlas 4200 is in the same category as the LS as long as I get an 08 or 09 engine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Yeah the look pretty neat, I wanna say they came on peoples radar because I think a lot of existing LS performance internal stuff crosses over? Pistons/rods etc? I could be wrong on that though.

Nah, literally nothing LS crosses over (except for the ECU in one case), and very little non-Atlas in general. A tiny amount of valvetrain components are shared with the Ecotec. GM being GM also decided in their infinite wisdom that the 4200 needed its own crank flange that is shared with absolutely no other engines, so even though the 4cyl and 5cyl Atlas engines were available with manuals, their flywheel doesn't fit the 6cyl. The aftermarket has solved this as well as rear-sump oil pans, at least.

My mom had a 4200 in her '02 Trailblazer EXT and it was an awesome engine hampered by only having four gears with which to motivate a 5000lb SUV. Also definitely a victim of "it's not a pushrod V8, we can't possibly develop it more".

The only reason I haven't already started stockpiling parts for a 4200 swap is because AZ emissions laws dictate that the VIN reported by the computer must match the VIN on the chassis. 02-07 4200s, by far the most common (and thus cheapest), have a unique 7x crank trigger and come with their own ECU that's not related to any other GM ECU, and there's no documented / proven way to make it report a non-GM VIN. 08-09 4200s, which are far less common because that was the tail end of GMT360 production, at least have a 58x crank trigger and use the same E67 ECU that GenIV V8s used. VIN-swapping is solved on that.

Really, if I ever go that route, I'm going to try and buy a whole donor vehicle and drive it around a bit first while prepping the TJ... and that's a lot cheaper if I can use an 02-07 chassis.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

This sounds like time to gently caress around with ghidra and a 02-07 binary till you can find why it gets mad about the wrong VIN and simply change those routines to look at a new, separate VIN stored in a different previously unused location, but leave the OBD2 "gimme your VIN" PID reporting the one you want. It's a silly rule they have and therefore as a proper spectrum member I see no reason why the rule should not be broken.

I might get there eventually. I'm sure it can be done, I just don't have that skill set or tool set. HPTuners is the only tuning solution I'm aware of for the P10 and P12 computers and they have no interest in figuring this out because they use the loving VIN as part of their licensing scheme.

Advent Horizon posted:

It’s more power than the 6.2 and less stressed in a high-load application.

Ford says the 7.3 can tow 5,000 pounds more than similarly-equipped 6.2 trucks using the SAE J2807 tow test ratings.

Given that the Godzilla is a pushrod motor, it's probably the same size or maybe even smaller than the 6.2 in terms of external dimensions, and almost certainly cheaper to produce.

And while it's not relevant for production purposes, it loves boost the way the 80s loved cocaine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WTFBEES posted:

I think you've put more thought into this than everyone at Ford who signed off on it immediately after hearing "pushrod big block V8."

i would have done the same

Edit: This made me make a stupid thing.

This, but also I bet even dealing with a clean sheet design the 7.3 was a cheaper option. And honestly it'll be much cheaper for owners long term too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I guess you just have to put a giant aftermarket cam in, then.

For reliability.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

heffray posted:

My C5 is teaching me that 20 year old connectors can't be trusted, but also some of the wire harnesses are discontinued so I may have to get creative to get a reliable connection to my wheel speed sensors. This doesn't really bode well for newer, more computerized cars once those are 20 years old.

Yeah, the amount of stuff that's simply NLA for my TJ is kinda shocking. At least it (and your C5) is a vehicle with a strong enough enthusiast following so third party and open-sourced solutions keep coming. I don't have high hopes for the majority of cars out there getting that kind of support.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

The H2 and LOL H3 are "Tahoe" and "Trailblazer" respectively.

The H3 is actually slightly smaller than a Trailblazer, it shares more with the first-gen Colorado/Canyon than the TB.

cursedshitbox posted:

Trucks are gonna get to the point that the beds are so wide and short that a 4x8 sheet will fit in the bed again

Introducing the 2034 Chevrolet Chode

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

Like you said, probably something poorly translated from oh, 5mm or something and rounded it.

I've come across that one before as well. The other one that sticks in my brain is a FSM from either GM or Mopar, where it was talking about seeing a relative temperature comparison like "30°F-40°F" that was just blanket converted to "-1°C-4°C".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Galler posted:

I saw a cybertruck in the wild and it looks worse in person than in photos. I overheard someone say "That's a tesla? I thought it was someone's DIY car." and I think that pretty well sums it up.

Same, finally saw one the other day. It'd already been wrapped in matte black, and looked like absolute garbage. It's definitely worse in person than in photos and that says a lot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Looks like they've finally figured out the panel gaps.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elviscat posted:

I love replacing something that lasted 10 years, and turning it into a 6-12 month maintenance item, because the OEM part costs as much as the car, and everything else is a random grab-bag quality wise.

I love replacing something that lasted 20 years, and turning it into a 6-12 month maintenance item because the OEM part is no longer available at any price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Oh, that's a whole-rear end anime on Netflix: https://www.netflix.com/title/81171121
(I have no idea if it's any good or not.)

I think it's good but consider that the absolute worst case is you are still sitting there listening to the entirety of Sound & Fury. So even if you hate the visuals you're still listening to an absolute killer album.