Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

therattle posted:

Is Godzilla minus one worth watching?

It's a reflection on the Japanese response to losing WW2, the changing nature of post-war Japanese society, Japan's relationship with its citizens, and post-war family and friendship told by a person who wasn't alive to experience any of it.

It also has a big fuckin' radioactive dinosaur who everybody has to deal with.

I thought it was very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Guns N Roses did the smart thing to give their 61 year old frontman a break on their three hour live show: Slash absolutely rips apart an awesome guitar solo while Axl disappears (I assume to a couch where he's given glacial waters).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

People want to be told by a credentialed third party (or, failing that, their social clique) that their opinions are objectively good and unassailable, and that they are correct for having them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

NieR Occomata posted:

where the movie is poorly made enough but throws enough random bullshit in there that assholes can collect the ideas they like from the movie they watched because it threw everything but the loving kitchen sink in there and praise the movie that they made up in their head and you end up having to argue against a non-existent glorified fancanon.

By any empirical measurement, that movie is loving terrible,

You gave it away right there. There's no such thing as an empirical measure of a movie to indicate "goodness", unless you think trivia like "average shot length" is some kind of key to quality.

Like, do you understand that all movies are "made up in your head"? This starts with the empirical reality that they are a series of still images shown rapidly, quite literally tricking your brain into thinking it's watching a window into a world of motion. It then moves from there into your brain, which is processing all the sounds coming into your ears and light coming in through your ocular nerve and, in real time, constructing a narrative world weighing it against your life experiences and learned facts. The idea that there is one way to validly interpret it is childish and unsophisticated.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The thing I remember about that movie was thinking "wait, it's not a tie-in to It's A Wonderful Life?"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Also the world of Reacher is a world of no moral ambiguity. The bad guys are the worst fuckin' people in the world, super-predator comic book villains who deserve to have a large man feed them his fist. The fun comes from them saying "ha ha! I'm a bad guy, and I'm going to do bad things that hurt people to enrich myself, and you can't possibly stop me Reacher!" and then Reacher stops them with a comical level of violence.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

FreudianSlippers posted:

For Gústi the Strong we tried to exaggerate the tallness of the actor by having him stand on an apple box whenever he was next to someone and his feet weren't in the shot. In a few shots you can see him step down from and onto boxes and suddenly change in height as he hits his mark.

LOL I noticed that, I thought he was stooping down or something. It works, though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gaius Marius posted:

People should really consider how they're spending their time when embarking on a One Piece or Naruto sized series. Is that truly what you wish to use your limited time on Earth on?

It's Bible Study for a certain kind of person.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Guys there was a Dungeons and Dragons streaming channel. Did you know that? Not surprising, absolutely nobody did.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/14/23961054/theres-a-whole-dungeons-dragons-channel-now

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If you were an 80s tween nerd at some point i guarantee you that the D&D cartoon was a big important part of your childhood landscape. The idea that it was fake or wasn't real or had no actual fans is execrably stupid. We're all just old.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fat Lou posted:

I need a fast reply for a debate "If someone asked you to name James Cameron’s most notable movie what would you say"

Over 50: Aliens
Over 40: Terminator 2
Over 30: Titanic
Over 20: Avatar

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

josh04 posted:

Every comic book movie ever made is connected by Madame Web's web, and so is valid discussion for the Madame Web megathread megaweb.

Madame Web's web spans the globe. You could say that it was a world wide web.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

There's some deliberately cute/wacky stuff in there IIRC but if you remember the Cold War it's not very funny at all.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Red Rox posted:

Ha ok I need to watch that one.

I assure you, you do not. Even the most hardcore TripleHead would likely have trouble with that one.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gaius Marius posted:

Sorry, you guys caught me slipping I forgot about Duran Duran

Just a brief aside here, I was in high school and some friends and I were talking about music. Somebody mentioned some band and I said "oh like Duran Duran? Those guys had their time, they haven't been relevant for almost a decade and are done."

It was January 1993. A literal month later, they released their #1 album Duran Duran. The band that taught me an important lesson.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jay Rust posted:

in the intro voiceover he mentions a girlfriend and that's when i knew the movie was going to play around with reality

He actually had a girlfriend (the same one he still has, basically his wife but not actually married) and she's the "Debbie" he's mentioning. She's a writer and professor at Columbia.

I really like Wallace Shawn. He wrote a book of essays and while it's nothing earth-shattering he's a very empathetic and thoughtful man.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Had never seen Potion Seller. Got in on the zeitgeist a decade late. I actually thought the dude laughing at his own stupid gag and goofy face morphs was endearing, but yeah it wasn't particularly funny (to me). Generally jokes like that work better when you think that they'll actually stop repeating it, and they don't (Paul Rudd with his "movie clips" on Conan is the all-timer for this, imho).

Edit: I had seen the "knight" face in D&D memes for a while so it was nice to finally know the origin of that.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 18, 2024

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If you think Potion Seller is great, I highly recommend Cheech and Chong. "Dave is not here" is the blueprint.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

X-Ray Pecs posted:

“Ladies, ladies
I like them underage, see
Some say that’s statuatory
But I say it’s mandatory”

-Kid Rock in the song he had on the Osmosis Jones Motion Picture Soundtrack

Yeah! Get his rear end!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hey quick question: where do I go to suggest a CineD movie of the month? I might have known once, but it's been lost to Covid brain fog.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"They" are the tabloids and TMZ style celebosphere. Not really hard to figure that out, it's been around for decades.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Peccadillo posted:

No it's fine probably not like a cancer having movie like a tumerous movie like a Blob or the Stuff

Oh in that event: Basket Case.

Also make sure you have the doctor save and give you the tumor so you can say "gg ez" to it and throw it in the biowaste bin.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'll confirm that the Duel of the Fates moment is one of the coolest things in the world even when you're in your twenties, you can say what you want about the rest of the flick but that's pure cinema right there.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Agree with the later but boy howdy I hated this film. Was blown away how reserved and surprisingly mundane all the stories were, and despised that the protagonist wishes for the Djinn to love her, and then the movie never looks back and acts like they have some beautiful romance we should root for. loving weird!

I think it's meant to be allegorical. She wants this big romantic storybook cosmic love but it turns out you can't have that in the real "modern" world and is forced to either keep the idea in the Land of the Abstract or kill it.

The whole movie is like that, it's about things being tucked away and abstracted and lying in wait and being mythologized.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Air Skwirl posted:

I do think it's really funny how Obi-Wan defeats Darth Maul and then in episode 3 he's telling Anakin he can't possibly win because he's slightly up hill. Also where the guck were they fighting in Episode 1? Why does this imperial palace have a 3 story factory with zero guard rails and laser doors that turn on and off at random? And a giant pit?

Next you're going to tell me that Imperials shouldn't build their Death Star shield regulators over bottomless pits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

He's here, on your screen....Thumb Eater!

to the tune of 'Snake Eater'