Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Movie night tonight for me is Past Lives.

How hard am I going to cry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Welp. Past Lives was great.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Definitely check out the novel by Umberto Eco if you haven’t.

The novel is so good. Especially if you like stuff like 10 straight pages on describing the detail and history of a stained glassed window (yes, this is in the book, and yes, it loving rules).

I remember when I first picked up the book, I knew nothing about it and very little about Umberto Eco - other than he was a historian and loving hated fascists. I didn't know that The Name of the Rose is basically Sherlock Holmes: Monastery Edition. About 50 pages in, I was like.... hold up...

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Not going to lie - I'm kinda hype for the Highlander reboot staring Henry Cavill and directed by Chad Stahelski.

I just want to hoot and holler while Henry Cavill swings a sword and decapitates guys on the big screen.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

What ever happened to that Logan's Run remake?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

No, that's Ashley Williams.

No, that's Mass Effect.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Reacher is a TV show about a sentient block of meat running into (and through) obstacles. The premise of the show is that the titular Reacher is in fact Very Large, and everyone else is Regular Size, and as such he can just Do Violence and the problems go away. Something bad happening to someone? Reacher throws a slab of Grade-A beef at it and then the thing dies (or is horribly crippled) and everyone cheers and the beef shimmers. God does the beef shimmer.

That sentient block of meat is also the world's greatest detective and scientist.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1750185844219015517

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I happen to know "The Hangover" is called "Very Bad Trip" in France, still in english. I bet there's a bunch of these

I remember seeing a Tiktok a while back that was talking about how a large number of French titles of films just add "Sex" to the film title. For example "Eurotrip" just becomes "Sex Trip"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

So what did they call Sex Drive?

Apparently unchanged.

Some other examples:

No Strings Attached -> Sex Friends
Wild Things -> Sexcrimes
Not Another Teen Movie -> Sex Academy
Meet the Spartans -> Orgie Movie

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Gripweed posted:

About 20 minutes of My Lucky Stars is good. Unfortunately the movie is much longer than 20 minutes

But those good 20 minutes do include Michiko Nishiwaki flexing

That shot alone is worth the price of admission imo.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Really feels like this film was just sent out to die. That trailer that came out for it... didn't do much to make it look good.

Also - I think it's funny that they're leading with Henry Cavill because apparently he is only in the film for about 10 minutes total

And, apparently a mid-credits scene tries to set up a Matthew Vaughn cinematic universe with a Kingsman crossover.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

They absolutely did not send it out to die. That loving trailer has been playing non stop for months. Someone thought that poo poo was gonna do well

I just feel like most films get multiple trailers. And I'm in Los Angeles, where you'll see billboards taken over for big releases. There was that single trailer slapped onto films and that was the only thing I've seen.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Is that a spoiler? I just assumed that was the case when I first saw the poster. Was I not supposed to assume that?

I don't think that's supposed to be known.

Also, I would say that everyone should take a few guesses on what the "twist" of the film is - but you wouldn't need a few. It will be your first guess.

That's what you get in a film that is From the Twisted Mind of Matthew Vaughn.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Flying Zamboni posted:

It's Special Agent Hitler from the Kingsman movies and that's how it all ties together.

Genuinely that would be better.

While I haven’t seen the film, this is what I’ve been able to gather from the word of those that have seen it.

Possible full Argylle spoilers Elly Conway (Bryce Dallas Howard) is the real Agent Argylle, who has been brainwashed. Cavill is her in-book counterpart. Sam Rockwell is her former partner/lover? and the in-book counterpart is John Cena. The cat is apparently a smartcat with the in-book counterpart being Sam Jackson. Also Elly's "parents" are the villains who secretly brainwashed her

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Film question - Would I like Yorgos Lanthimos films?

Context - I've never seen any of his films. I'm also incredibly picky with films. I don't know why but I mentally associate him Lars von Trier, and I've seen a couple Lars von Trier films and did not like them at all. I do not like horror films. I do not like suspense films. I don't mind a little blood/violence in films but often when they're for action films (as I like stuff like John Wick). But I don't like gratuitously violent scenes. Generally speaking, I don't like films that spend a long time making the viewer uncomfortable, if that makes sense.

I'm a fickle, picky bitch when it comes to films, but I was curious about Yorgos due to all the Poor Things buzz.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

It's odd because I don't mind something that's uncomfortable (I loving loved the recent show The Curse). There's something about uncomfortable violence though that I just can't stomach. Even something simple like, to make up an example, if there's a film where someone slowly cuts of their own ear, I would not be interested in the entire film because of it.

For instance, I'd read some reviews of Saltburn and that film seems just generally like my nightmare.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I've heard all the new MI movies praised a lot, but I dunno. Neither the original nor GP did much for me at all.

When my wife and I went through them all this past year, this is how we ranked them:

I would say that the newest one in the series, Dead Reckoning, is a solid 4/5. I really enjoyed it, but not nearly to the highs of the prior films.

Also I agree with others, if you are going to watch Tom Cruise films, you need to watch Interview with a Vampire.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 8, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Cruise may be a loving weirdo, but I also have massive respect for him for his angry Covid rant. But I'm also sensitive to that because I spent a couple years working as covid compliance on sets and there are certain groups that are just loving terrible with following the rules and guidelines. So his rant ended up being very cathartic to me.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I am into anime the normal amount.

Ah. A confirmed pervert.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it sucks but i kinda feel like it's unambiguously Avatar

I feel like for people over the age of 30, it is Titanic. For people under the age of 30, it is Avatar.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Over 50: Aliens
Over 40: Terminator 2
Over 30: Titanic
Over 20: Avatar

Or if you want to get more precise, its probably closer to this.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

I sorta feel like the use of cgi in Terminator 2 (and Jurassic Park) had more influence, but I could see an argument being made for the advances in motion capture done with Avatar was a bigger deal.

Edit: On the other hand, Arnold Schwarzenegger became a star with Terminator and that stardom eventually lead him to being in Governor of the fifth largest economy in the world, so in terms political importance I guess it'd be the first Terminator.

Yeah, I mean this conversation is heavily reliant on which metrics you're using.

If you're doing a Billy Eichner style run up to people on the street and ask them to quickly name a James Cameron film for a dollar, you'll probably be mostly split between Avatar and Titanic, mostly on generational lines.

If you're asking a round table of film enthusiasts/scholars/critics which James Cameron film they think is most influential to the medium of film, that's a different conversation entirely.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I think what he's saying is yea I have opinions like any other idiot out there, but if I give you my opinion in this interview/public setting, it's then going to be reported as if my opinion has some sort of weight to it when it really doesn't. And I don't want my opinions to be used that way because I don't think they have any more validity to them than any other random person on the street.

Yeah. And it goes back to the whole celebrity worship that happens in this country. There's an idolization of celebrities and from that, a belief that their views carry more weight than a "normal" person. Look at Swifties. If Taylor Swift came out and said "Hey everyone, I have come to believe that eating three pears a day is the key to health and beauty" every single grocery store would be sold out of pears before the day was out.

People are loving idiots. Celebrities are people. Celebrities are loving idiots.

People worship those they see as better off than themselves and assume that the person who is better off is in that position because they are smart and made the right decisions. It doesn't matter if the truth is nepotism, old money, or just that this person lucked into their position by random chance.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1758685153184899488

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://twitch.tv/madameweb247

This channel has now been streaming Madame Web for over 48 hours at this point without any takedown.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

Chat is roasting Madame Web's CPR

Movie's confusing. The gently caress is this dude's deal. He wants to kill potential spiderwomen because he has a vision that they kill him for some reason? No loving clue or allusion about what villainy he's up to

So I've seen rumors - no clue whether it is true or just someone creating a rumor to make logic of the mess - that the film originally had the villain targeting Peter Parker's mother, Mary Parker - since she's pregnant with Peter. No clue if it was because he had visions of Peter becoming Spider-man or what the situation was. Anyway, the rumor is that the villain wanted to kill Mary for ~reasons~ and that's why they have to stop him.

If the rumor is true, then I could see them wanted to recut the film to focus instead on the primary characters and try to make it a ~Girlboss~ film. It would make sense then why the villain is 90% ADR dialogue.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

drat, I just checked the schedule and Drive Away Dolls is in theatres today. I've heard zero buzz and seen like one trailer. They're sending that poo poo out to die. Those two need to relink cause this solo thing ain't working so well

I really liked Drive Away Dolls when I saw it a few months ago.

It doesn't have a crazy plot or anything, but I thought it was just a really enjoyable romp. Margaret Qualley is also dreamy af.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Watching Robin Hood: Men in Tights. So far it’s not as good as the other Mel Brooks movies I’ve seen.

Robin Hood Men in Tights is a special film to me because there was one summer when I was in like 15 where it was the tape I had just sitting in my VHS player so multiple times a week when I was up late gaming on my PC, I'd just hit play and have it as background noise.

It may not be his best film, but it's the one that I've seen the most and 2nd place doesn't even come close.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Truspeaker posted:

The weird thing about Men in Tights is that while it seems like it's a spoof of Robin Hood in general, it's really just going super hard making fun of the Kevin Costner movie. It's still Robin Hood stuff, it's not like you NEED to have seen that movie to understand what's going on, but there's a lot of stuff that feels less like a joke and more just sort of arbitrarily weird without that context.

Just in case, I want to be explicitly clear that I am in no way suggesting it's worth watching Kevin Costners Robin Hood in order to Truly Enjoy Men in Tights. However, it might be worth watching that movie to see Alan Rickman be super handsome and evil and whatnot, ymmv

My wife and I did those back to back about a year or so ago. Well, not double feature back to back, but watched one a few days prior to the other.

The whole time watching the Costner Robin Hood, she kept saying "Why does anyone find him attractive? He sucks so much."

She liked Men in Tights far far more.

But yeah, it's nearly beat for beat the same film. It rules.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1762173498871455805
http://archive.today/2024.02.26-190...onger-jd0q2rrwp

quote:

“Frankly, I hate dialogue,” he says, laughing, which is a fun thing for one of the screenwriters of Dune: Part Two to say. “Dialogue is for theatre and television. I don’t remember movies because of a good line, I remember movies because of a strong image. I’m not interested in dialogue at all. Pure image and sound, that is the power of cinema, but it is something not obvious when you watch movies today. Movies have been corrupted by television.” Because TV had that golden age and execs thought films should copy its success? “Exactly.”

Villeneuve smiles. “In a perfect world,” he says, “I’d make a compelling movie that doesn’t feel like an experiment but does not have a single word in it either. People would leave the cinema and say, ‘Wait, there was no dialogue?’ But they won’t feel the lack.” So, without leaping ahead, if he makes Dune Messiah, could he make it dialogue-free? “I would absolutely adore that.” Don’t bet against him. If this second Dune makes enough money, he will be hard to stop.

I know Villeneuve is a visuals guy, so his point comes across a bit extreme, but I think there have been plenty of examples in the last 10-15 years of the TV-ification of filmmaking (see: Disney/MCU)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Carpet posted:

One of the things I loved about Part 1 was how much of the story is told with the visuals, there were people in the GBS Dune thread complaining how incomprehensible it must be to anyone who hasn't read the books but if one actually watches the film it shows so much with a shot of a character's face.

I've never read the book. I recently saw Part 1 in IMAX when it was put back in theaters for a few weeks. Majority of the film, I had zero clue what was going on. It didn't help that the dialogue was often nearly inaudible, but then again, I sometimes have auditory processing issues when there are a bunch of conflicting loud noises. Regardless, I thought the film was great. I've seen complaints of "Oh they didn't explain <x>" but gently caress it, it wasn't necessary for my enjoyment and going into a long explanations of aspects of the novels would have just weighed it down.

DUNC Part 1 is more about vibes than anything else. And the vibes were immaculate.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

The first movie felt like mostly setup, which makes sense considering it's the first half of a one book

Yeah, but I also couldn’t tell you much of what anything meant other than broad strokes. Plenty of scenes where I have zero clue on the context.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

The easy litmus test for this is simply to imagine how the film would work with every piece of dialogue cut. TWBB doesn't have dialogue for the first what twenty minutes? And you could cut every line and still get across every single emotion and action just on the cinematography, editing, and acting; the dialogue is purely additive, and is generally, like many PTA films, used to add humor instead of drama. Another example is the Omlette scene at the end of Phantom Thread, there are a few lines of dialogue, but PTA knows when to get out of his actors way and let them do their job instead of loading them up with unnecessary exposition.

One of my favorite films of the last five years is The Green Knight. The last what? 20 minutes or so have zero dialogue (except from the very very end) and it loving rules.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Some of my best friends are capable of speech.

Shame you never learned from them. :negative:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

My first two Elwes films were Robin Hood Men in Tights and Princess Bride so I thought he was mostly comedic. I never watched Saw because I don't like horror films. I think the next film I saw him in was The Pentagon Wars?

Well it was probably Twister, but I was young when I saw that so I didn't realize it was him.

I feel like Cary Elwes should be a bigger star than he actually is. :(

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1762912106700034118

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

I just noticed it's being directed by one of the Lonely Island guys, so maybe it's got potential.

It's also the same writers as the recent Chip & Dale movie. I thought that flick was pretty fun.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

help settle a debate:

what do you call the video that plays before a movie starts that introduces the studio logo. like the searchlights for 20th century fox or the globe for universal, etc. is there a formal name for these videos? like a preview of an upcoming movie is called a trailer, but is there a special name for what i'm describing?

As someone who works in a job that involves studio film mastering, we use a very technical term for them: logos.

Alternatively, people may say "logo at the head"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So my wife and I are planning on watching The Abyss tonight. She's never seen it and it's been decade since I've seen it so I remember nothing.

What would be some thematically appropriate takeout for us to get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Maybe sushi?

That's what I was thinking too. I used to try to cook a themed meal for our weekly movie night but that ended up taking up too much time and caused us to start avoiding films that ran much longer than 2 hours or else we'd be up far too late.