Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Movies eh? It'll never catch on or or redefine art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Where would all the recapping go?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Gotta awkwardly jump in here with my video on similar themes, 'The Fanatic'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGbRQ6MOQWM

but beyond that I'd just say that most of these are versions of the classical tragedy, where someone's unshakeable qualities lead them to great heights of personal heroism but also necessarily lead to their downfall. Ford v Ferrari ends with a car crash.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The Saltburn ending is so on-the-nose that kinda spoils the enjoyment of the previous two hours. Leave some ambiguity!

Gripweed posted:

Speaking of good jokes I made that no one responded to, in the Gundam thread people were talking about Gundam Seed and the practical differences between Naturals and Coordinators, how Coordinators had an easier time at anything they turned their hand to but still needed to work hard and practice to get really good at something and there was still space for Naturals to be better than them like Mu La Flaga being a Natural and still one of the best pilots in the setting, and I sad that a Natural could beat a Coordinator as long as they never saved anything for the swim back.

And it got nothing! Not even a single lol. That was crushing.

Great stuff, please never stop.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I know the twitter meme is that Fennell is super conceited or whatever (a conceited film director, mais non) but it reads the opposite to me. Like a crisis of confidence in the audience's ability to follow along, and let subsequent events inform previous ones. The whole life support scene is totally lifeless compared to the rest of the film, if it was a Marvel movie. I'd be pointing at the screen and yelling 'reshoot'.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Just seems an unusual amount of emphasis on personal failings of the director vs qualities of the film itself. I don't see why I should care how brilliant she thinks herself or otherwise. It's the director's job to think their own movie is good and worth releasing. Even when people say "Oh Nolan can't mix sound" that's a complaint about an aspect of the film at heart.

Failed Imagineer posted:

The meme if anything is that she's an out-of-touch posho. She's undeniably of evil landlord stock and her work provides plenty of ammo for the rest

To the wall with her, sure, but that's not really to do with the movie.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Data Graham posted:

Pausing the video at this point to note that I do not find it a dreary waste of time

Hah, thanks for watching!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

FreudianSlippers posted:

Have you people ever considered that in Star Wars 6: Newer Hope (2015, d.p. Dan Mindel) the famous heartthrob Oscar Isaac plays Poe Dameron but in the action classic Con Air (1997, d.p. David Tattersall) Nicolas Cage née Coppola plays Cameron Poe. Dameron is a pilot and Cameron spends almost all of Con Air (1997, d.p. David Tattersall) an airplane. Furthermore Isaac also starred in Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) but the villains of Star Warses 6 through 8 is Kyle Lauren played by Adam Driver who is also Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) and sings a song with Issac where they, and boy wonder Justin Timberlake, plead to be the soon-to-be-dead President John Fitzgerald Kennedy to not send them into outer space which where Star Wars, by nature, generally take place. Additionally Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) is based on the life of folk music legend Dave Van Ronk. Ronk was of allegedly Dutch heritage. The Dutch word for "father" is Vader. Darth Vader is a space samurai in a Star War who is famously a father and Adam Drive plays his grandson and colleague.

How deep does the rabid hole go people
?

This is what they teach you at university.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Steve Yun posted:

Trainsspotting

No Pixar don't!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KE-Ze-VPeE

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

FreudianSlippers posted:

Empirical measures of movie quality
-Does someone's head explode?
-Does someone drink J&B Whiskey?
-Is there a guy in a rubber suit?
-Does it explore the human condition in a deep and thoughtful manner?
-is there a split diopter shot?
-Is there a gnarly stunt that makes you go "ouch that's gotta hurt!"?

If yes to one or more it's empirically a good film.

Aside from the split diopter these are also the ingredients for a quality orgy.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://www.thestudiotour.com/archive/movie/highlander-1986/

quote:

The Wrestling match at the start of the movie features a breathtaking helicopter-style shot through the stadium, ending up with a close-up on Russell Nash. This was accomplished using a system called Skycam, which is now regularly used on sports events, which was designed by Garrett Brown, the inventor of Steadicam. A camera is suspended from 4 wires which run to the 4 corners of the building. A computer controls the 4 wires using 4 motors all working together, to enable the smooth movement of the camera anywhere through three-dimensional space. The bulk of the shot is done with a wide angle lens, but the final part of the shot is shot with a different lens, from a crane-mounted camera. The cut is disguised by a single white frame during a barrage of camera flashes from the sports fans.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The other beekeeper sequence is absolutely hysterical, a clear highlight of the movie imo.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Hollismason posted:

Gonna be real honest Josh looks like a piece of poo poo

Well gently caress you!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

checkplease posted:

He’s just a post 9/11 character, wants to run off and fight something he doesn’t understand as he doesnt like feeling helpless. I think that’s fine and he’s a teen so sure.

But yeah coming back in the end seems a bit impossible. I get it’s a happy place to end the film after all the death in war of the worlds with literal rivers of bodies. Spielberg can miss on endings at times ( though Jurassic Park ending is perfect).

It's been a while since I last watched it but iirc there's some stuff going on with Tom Cruise's character wanting to think he's the protagonist of reality and part of his bad-dad act is how 'do as I say, not as I do' he is to irritating teen son. So having him have die at the end would risk suggesting that Cruise-dad was right and they all should have stayed safe under his paternal wing or w/e.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's a prequel.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Barbarella's on a mission of peace and love, yeah. She hasn't got time to be getting into conflicts or properly maintaining her spaceship.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Gonz posted:

Easily one of the greatest movies of the young year.

Statham is the human personification of invincibility in it. He makes John Wick seem like a part-time public library employee who enjoys chamomile tea and stamp collecting.

One of the best bits is when he gets a big John-Wick-esque dramatic flourish from putting a suit on. You know it means he's about to kick some rear end, the movie knows it means he's about to kick some rear end, no further exposition is necessary.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Fat Lou posted:

I need a fast reply for a debate "If someone asked you to name James Cameron’s most notable movie what would you say"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

She acts Leo off the screen in Titanic. He's a total amateur by comparison.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Gripweed posted:

I watched two movies today, War-Gods of the Deep and The Marvels.

War-Gods of the Deep was a lot of fun. Vincent Price as a menacing sea captain, lots of Jules Verne style turn of the century scuba suits, mermen, actual guys in full body merman costumes swimming around and getting into fights the Jules Verne guys, big classic cave sets, a Scottish man with a chicken. Just a fun olde timey sci-fi time.

The Marvels was a bit of a mess. It serves as a sequel to three things; the Ms. Marvel show no one watched, a minor subplot from the Wandavision show, and, and this one's the largest factor, a Captain Marvel movie that does not exist. Like, do you remember at the end of Captain Marvel, Captain Marvel says she's going to go gently caress up the Kree for being bad guys? And then that's just never mentioned again? Well, we discover through flashback like half an hour into this movie that she did do that off screen between movies. She destroyed the giant computer that ran their society and was their god, and also boiled their seas, wiped out most of their atmosphere, and extinguished their sun. And this movie is about one evil Kree lady trying to steal other planet's oceans, atmosphere, and sun in order to save the Kree homeworld.

These fuckin late era Marvel movies are trying to do way too much poo poo.

Wait didn't she do that in the first one? I assumed that was a direct flashback. That was all new?

The worst sequence in The Marvels is when they gently caress up the Skrull/Kree negotiations. The Skrulls are like 200 people, they live in a modern art museum, they're all dressed the same, most(?) of them die as a result. Captain Marvel just palms the remnant off on Tessa Thompson who appears for one scene, not in costume and stands in one spot for her entire appearance. The Skrull President is at worst 'surly' about this ordeal.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

PriorMarcus posted:

Even Mordo's appearance in MoM is portrayed as if you've seen the imaginary film where he was the primary villain and him actually being a good guy (albeit still opposed to Strange) is a twist on this.

lmao I also assumed this has happened in a previous film. Marvel should be paying me for the amount of context I've been imagining here!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

That's not entirely fair, she also ruins a peace talk which results in (another) massacre of the Skrulls. Whoops!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

She plays a total weirdo who is incapable of interacting with regular people without embarassing herself.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Blood Boils posted:

They always do it wrong!!

Sounds like you could do with a little thing called 'generative AI'!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Gaius Marius posted:

Disgusting. I bet you try and skip past the Bink video screen too

Bink video made so much hay over so many years from being the "here's the price" video playing option. Respect that splash.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

politely but firmly tell her that the only acceptable winner would’ve been Annette Bening as Nyan Cat

I'm one margarita down at poolside and this made me physically snort.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I watched two hours of Wandering Eart II's three-hour runtime waiting for the Eart to Wander, and then it turns out it's a prequel. I'm not sure how to feel about this!!!

I was also pretty upset about this. I wanted Wandering Earth II: More Wandering, not Solo: A Wandering Earth Story!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Dark Knight Rises is so good, sorry. It's a deeply silly film.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

what is it with x-men

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

BonoMan posted:

1:43 laser IMAX

Can't believe people watch films in portrait now.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I preferred Cloud Atlas the film to the book, I think the slightly less rigid formalism really helps the climax come together. The Bone Clocks is my preference for David Mitchell books.

e: phone does not recognise 'formalism', some joke here

josh04 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 24, 2024

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Watched Bugsy Malone in school, remember it being fine? Some catchy songs. It's very cartoon-like.

All That Jazz absolutely slaps, watched it at the end of last year. Would recommend A Matter of Life and Death as something that's clearly in the inspiration mix for it but also a great movie in its own regard.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Bright Bart posted:

Doesn't the character age quicker than normal as well? Or is that just her mind? But I think I recall her being like an older kid when she did that thing to that guy with the thing and that was 4 years after she was born.

Just her mind, all the Fremen are like "drat, this toddler is a tier-one operator".

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Wikipedia has a list of people who have turned down honours from the British state. Naturally it starts with Cromwell and moves down.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Every comic book movie ever made is connected by Madame Web's web, and so is valid discussion for the Madame Web megathread megaweb.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

There's only one video to post if you want to prove the enduring legacy of British music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOVT5ujsr8s

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Rachel Talaley (Tank Girl) directs a lot of TV now but in particular, her Doctor Who work with Peter Capaldi all looks fantastic.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Prometheus :manning:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Afflecks is where I bought my chain wallets as a teenager.