Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
The more I think about it, the more that the Road House remake is a perfect encapsulation of everything I hate about modern Late-Stage-Capitalism filmmaking.

It's not because "it's a road house remake", I'm not against remakes on principle and I don't think Road House is a sacred calf or anything.

But it:

-adds an explanation backstory to a character who definitely didn't need one, ruining the fun of the original
-makes sure the backstory ties into WellKnown Brand so it gets in all the fans of The Brand, including adding Notable Member of The Brand as a main character.
-puts all the dialogue faux-RDJ "nice guy chatting around the fight" style that makes for good Tumblr gif sets later
-THEN explains that style directly to the audience
-And finally even if Jake G and Liman did manage to put any heart into it, lol gently caress you we're dumping it straight to streaming.

The first point is the one that pisses me off the most.

It loving rules that in the original Road House, Dalton has no story beyond "ripped a guy's throat out once" and he lives in a world where "famous bouncer" is a thing you can be. It didn't need explaining! The fact that it makes no sense adds to the mystique and build him up as a legendary figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'll watch any movie with Sam Neill in it

As part of the Taika Waititi heel-turn, I'm reevaluating if what makes Hunt For The Wilderpeople good has anything to do with Taika and everything to do with Sam Neill absolutely devouring that performance.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Debating between Rocky 2 or 3 tonight. I think Rocky 2 is a better movie but 3 might be a better Carl Weathers movie

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

checkplease posted:

What’s with January and February movies being a thing? It seems like there should be little competition if you got a big film. Or do people not go and watch films in those months?

It’s cold outside now so movies seem like a great option to me.

Traditionally, January and February was a dumping ground for studios to toss stuff they didn't care about or have faith in. It's right after the holiday/Oscar release season but before spring and summer blockbuster time. Theater attendance is usually down because of the cold, and when people do go, they're usually catching up on last months releases.

This is becoming less and less true as blockbusters creep into all parts of the year, and digital releases become more of a thing but you're still likely to see a higher concentration of garbage in the first two months of the year.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

NikkolasKing posted:

So Tom Cruise is possibly my favorite living, big time actor. Not the best actor ever but I've never been disappointed by a performance from him, even if he's in a meh movie.

Anyway, I'm setting out to watch all movies with him. I'm not going in any real order, although multiple lists I've consulted say Magnolia is the best.

I don't have anything to add to Cruisechat but I just got really nostalgic here because like 15 years ago I underwent a similar challenge on this here forums to watch every single Nicolas Cage movie, and even though I failed, the resulting writing I did about it literally changed my life and set forth a long series of events, including moving across the country, taking a new job, and essentially building my life as it is now. Godspeed to you.

Did you all know that Netflix has a new Dreamworks childrens movie out called Orion and the Dark starring Paul Walter Houser and written by... Charlie Kaufman?

I do not know what kind of child this appeals to but I sure liked it. It's rare to see children's media that respects the child and isn't afraid to get a little heavy or use unusual storytelling techniques. Our protagonist is definitely a kid written by Kaufman: deeply neurotic and anxious, maybe even a little unlikable because of the extremity of those qualities. And that's okay, because sometimes kids are neurotic little shits! The world is scary to kids!

The character designs are fun and interesting, the closest compaison might be like a muppety take on Pixar's Inside Out. In fact the whole movie is like a more experimental, interesting Inside Out. Pixar wishes they had the balls to introduce kids to the concepts of Baudrillard.

It is a weird little collaboration, I might compare it to Peanuts in that it's filled with children expressing adult angst - which also means it gets a little cutsie as Kaufman uses kids as his hopeful mouthpiece. But overall I think it's a good movie and you should look at it just because it's weird that it exists?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

The Peccadillo posted:

I wrote this off when I saw the trailer as just another bullshit cartoon but Kaufman wrote it you're tellin' me? Might gonna hafta watch it

I watched it last week when I was sick with a cold and couldn't handle anything more than just another bullshit cartoon, and within 10 minutes the main character tells the audience there's no afterlife.

There's also a brief appearance by Werner Herzog!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

JazzFlight posted:

I ended up seeing it (Orion and the Dark) because of this thread and the positive RT score and bounced off. I just felt it was too scatterbrained, like it had no real plot or message behind it. I kinda liked what it did with some of the framing device near the end, but the rest of the movie was a miss.

I think the movie covers its own rear end with this halfway through when it's revealed that adult Orion is still a little bit afraid of the dark because it straight-up tells the audience "hey, this story really isn't gonna wrap things up neatly, it might not even resolve, it's gonna be weird and messy and we're just gonna let it be that way." Which you could read as a cop-out (I do too a little), but I think it's more interesting as a middle-finger to more traditional children's media (especially Pixar) that likes to resolve things cleanly and easily by the end of the hero's journey.

If the movie does have a message, it's probably "you know what kid, you probably aren't going to conquer all your fears 100%, even if you meet cute anthromorphized versions of them. poo poo's always gonna be weird and hard, and that's fine, too. You'll probably be okay. Probably."

Another way it does this "poo poo just is" storytelling is when you look at the team of anthropomorphized... night stuff, some of them aren't necessarily good things. Like two characters are "Insomnia" and "Unexplained Noises." I kept expecting there to be an in-universe reason for the existence of Insomnia. Another movie would make him noble, maybe show him waking someone up when their house is about to catch fire or something. But no, "sometimes you can't sleep, it sucks. This dude's the personification of Insomnia. He just is. This is just his job." Sometimes there's just weird noises. Sometimes you just have nightmares, there's no reason the Personification of Dreams has to give them to you, it just is."

This works as a concept within the weird anti-message of the movie and also in the inner framing device that none of this is "really" happening in the movie, these are all just characters in a story that a guy is making up as he goes along, he's not gonna explain it all.

So I don't think it's an amazing movie, but I think it's a unique one. Ido find this level of realism (nihilism?) somewhat refreshing in a kid's movie. Kids deserve to have something challenging now and then. I just don't know who the hell this is gonna appeal to.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Rogen has gone on record as saying he doesn't know why people keep hiring him for voice roles when he categorically never does voices. ("Do you want Donkey Kong to sound like Seth Rogen, 'cause that's what you're gonna get!") I'm sure it wouldn't bother him too much if suddenly there was a guy that would sound like him for way cheaper.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

PriorMarcus posted:

This is kind of half the problem at the moment with all the Marvel sequels, in that they pretend massive events happened between films and it's incredibly jarring and unsatisfying.

Doctor Strange 2 had the same problem where the villain the last film set-up is mentioned as having been dispatched off screen between events.

They've been doing this poo poo for at least a decade, I remember when Tony Stark blew up all his Iron Man suits at the end of Iron Man 3, signifying that his arc had ended and he had grown past his need/dependency on them and then whoops okay never mind opening scen of Age of Ultron he's back in the suit, no explanation, jus setup for next thing.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Elwes chat: Got to see a screening of Princess Bride with Cary Elwes this past weekend, highly recommend if you get the chance, he loves telling stories and he clearly still loves this role 30+ years later, plus you get all sorts of good Andre the Giant stories.

The emcee at my showing slipped up his introduction of Elwes, saying he had "at least two, three truly iconic roles. maybe more depending on how you feel about all the other movies"

Obviously one of the roles is Westley, assuming Saw is another. Wondering what he thinks the third one is? Robin Hood? Twister? His recurring role on Psych?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Gripweed posted:

It got me thinking, what is the best song created to be a diegetic song with in the world of a movie?

edit: this question only applies to movies because if you included TV then it just becomes what's your favorite Fire Bomber song.

The only possible answer here is That Thing You Do, nothing else comes close.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Once Upon a Time in the West by Sergio Leone. One of the central elements is a train being built, symbolizing civilization coming, therefore bringing the death of the Old West.

I think it's interesting how "Death of the West" is actually the main theme in most of what we think of as "The Great Westerns". Like they're acknowledging that what they're creating is a myth while they create it. (See: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance). A counterpoint "birth of the West" movie might be How The West Was Won but ultimately I think it's more interesting for audiences to contemplate the fall of an era than the rise of one.

Especially as you get into the late 60s like The Searchers, which seek to expose and criticize the racism and brutality of the "old west" while also conducting plenty of their own 60s-flavored racism.

Also, not a movie, but there's a 24-hour The Rifleman channel on PlutoTV and The Rifleman kicks all kinds of rear end.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Jim Jarmush.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Halloween Jack posted:

I just saw L&T as another Marvel movie where the villain has a good point, but he goes too far, so the hero needs to kill him and restore the status quo where people eat at McDonald's and chat about that time half the global population died for a few years.

Except that with this one, there is basically no reason why the hero should disagree with the villain. The villain says basically everything Thor is thinking the whole time, and even the whole "killing the gods then" thing isn't a bridge too far because Thor totally gets pissed and kills a God halfway through this one, for basically the same reason and he's not too upset about it. They are both God-Killers. (Don't worry, the god Thor kills get better by the after-credits though.) So the disagreement is even worse than normal.

I also watched Next Goal Wins hoping that maybe a smaller movie might be more in Taika's wheelhouse and get me back on the Taika train, and noooope I think that guy might just suck poo poo now. Next Goal is a completely cynical piece of garbage, trying to see how weak of a movie you can make with the scrappy-sports-underdog formula and still pull it off. The whole thing is flat, the jokes don't land, everyone just seems a little bored. There's no direction or visual flair to speak of, Taika just doesn't direct, it's like he wasn't even on set. Fassbender gives the worst performance of his life, and it doesn't help that literally every other character around him would make for a more interesting lead.

One supporting character is a trans woman, meaning that Waititi gets to enjoy his "progressive ally on Tumblr" status, but it's complete poo poo, she does nothing but serve as a point to have Fassbender grow and change around. There's a dramatic moment around him deadnaming her, but they both say "sorry" and move on by the next scene, and the movie is incapable of exploring any further after that. Honestly, this should be her movie! The actual person was the first trans person in FIFA!

I really liked Hunt for the Wilderpeople, but holy poo poo the guy who made that is long gone, Waititi is a lazy hack now.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
It's also worth noting that the last ghostbusters was made by Jason Reitman, so there's more than a little "proving something to Dad/living up to Dad's legacy" kind of thing going on there.

Also I like Jason Reitman generally but there was just nothing in his background beyond his last name that indicated he could make a movie like Ghostbusters. Up until that point he had done nothing but satires and contemplative, naval-gazey indie dramadies (which I guess the last Ghostbusters kinda was.)

I mean, say what you will about Paul Feig's Ghostbusters, at least that guy regularly makes character-heavy action-comedies.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Jay Rust posted:

What's the cineD consensus on the former mr madonna Guy Richie?

I didn't realize he was so hated and then I realized I've only seen five Ritchie movies, that I think are considered "the good ones"

Lock Stock and Snatch from his indie days, Sherlock 1/2 and Man From UNCLE from the blockbuster years. Man from UNCLE kicks rear end and it's a shame it got buried in a bunch of other spy stuff (and Armie Hammer being a weirdo) so it will never get revisited.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t know or care about any of that but I definitely think Jason Reitman needs to learn how to write a blockbuster before he ever tries to do one again

Also, guy who was on the loving set…why did you forget that this franchise was a comedy?

I watched Afterlife a bit ago and it made me go revisit Ghostbusters 2016, and holy poo poo that movie isn't perfect but at least it has actual jokes. It's actually the one that's closest in tone to the original but that's a pretty low bar to clear

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Watching Bull Durham and it's really weird that for a movie with so much swearing, Kevin Costner is like... really bad at it? Like the F-bombs feel so weird and stilted coming out of his mouth.

Some actors are convincing swear-ers, The Cos is not one of them.

That's right, we're calling Costner "The Cos", the last guy to be The Cos really hosed that up.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm such a baby, yeah, the movies make me sigh

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Just watched Anatomy of a Fall last night, haven't done courtroom dramas in a while, what should I put on tonight?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

therattle posted:

Hello stranger!

Someone mentioned Saint Omer. Incredible film. Not in the same league, and I know people here poo poo on Sorkin, but I enjoyed The Trial of the Chicago 7.

Paddington 2 has a courtroom scene but I think it’s a stretch to call it a courtroom drama.

My Cousin Vinny!

Not court per se, but court-adjacent: Intolerable Cruelty

I decided to go with another Sorkin, pretty much THE courtroom drama, A Few Good Men.

Hot Take: This is a good movie. One of those like Shawshank that was on TV so often and referenced so much that you feel like you've seen the whole thing when you for-sure haven't.

Saint Omer looks incredible though. Glad to get the rec.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Also are we overdue for a Demi Moore comeback?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Technically Miracle on 34th St is a courtroom movie.

Noticed in the credits for A Few Good Men that Frank Capra III was Assistant Director which is wild considering how much of a Capra/Jimmy Stewart schmaltzy-vibe Sorkin and Reiner are going for, especially towards the end with lines like "You don't need a patch on your arm to have honor."

Sorkin's script is probably the weakest part of this movie but wow does the star power sell it. Feels like Cruise and Kevin Bacon should have made a dozen movies together, they're so gfood at smugly playing off one another.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
The biggest knock against Us is that I've never felt felt an urge to revisit it since I originally saw it in theaters whereas I can watch Get Out and Nope over and over again.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Barry Convex posted:

PhilaMOCA. There’s an encore screening on Tuesday night, though I haven’t checked to see if it’s sold out yet

I have tickets to this one and I'm very hype

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Baron von Eevl posted:

There’s a Weird Al biopic featuring Daniel Radcliffe as Weird Al, and Weird Al as a different character.

So, like a lot of goons, my first concert was Weird Al. My family went when he played at the county fair and my sister, who was probably only three years old at the time, is very upset and confused, deeply disappointed because she expected to see a "Weird Owl"

Fast forward to three weeks ago, my sister, now age 30, and I are staying in an AirBnB. I notice that the place has a Roku TV and decided it was finally time to watch the Weird Al movie. My sister was in the other room on a phone call and she came into the movie about 30 minutes in, right around the pool party scene.

The thing is, my sister actually likes biopics. And since she's not a Weird Al fan and missed the beginning of the movie, she didn't know this was a huge bit. She was asking "wait why is Pee-Wee Herman just in character all the time?" "Wait did Weird Al really date Madonna?"

She got the point as the joke got more obvious really fast, but she got angrier and angrier as it went on. Because she was actually interested in a straight-up biopic.

So that's twice in my life that Weird Al has delighted me and upset my little sister.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Escobarbarian posted:

I really want to watch Hundreds of Beavers but it isn’t out theatrically in my country yet. Should I wait for a cinema experience or will it still hit watching the web version at home

It definitely benefits from a crowd experience, if you watch it at home you should invite some people over for drinks.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I do not like the rock or want to see him in movies.

This forum has come a long way from the days of "i liked it, the rock rules"

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

BonoMan posted:

Kindergarten Cop

They are very clear that this movie is NOT about a tumor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Meaty Ore posted:

Hell, one of the main villains is named after Pauline Kael.

The bad guy in Galaxy Quest is named after Andrew Sarris.