Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j-hdefkOJI

excuse me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
That's not how any of that works!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Gripweed posted:

I watched two movies today, War-Gods of the Deep and The Marvels.

War-Gods of the Deep was a lot of fun. Vincent Price as a menacing sea captain, lots of Jules Verne style turn of the century scuba suits, mermen, actual guys in full body merman costumes swimming around and getting into fights the Jules Verne guys, big classic cave sets, a Scottish man with a chicken. Just a fun olde timey sci-fi time.

The Marvels was a bit of a mess. It serves as a sequel to three things; the Ms. Marvel show no one watched, a minor subplot from the Wandavision show, and, and this one's the largest factor, a Captain Marvel movie that does not exist. Like, do you remember at the end of Captain Marvel, Captain Marvel says she's going to go gently caress up the Kree for being bad guys? And then that's just never mentioned again? Well, we discover through flashback like half an hour into this movie that she did do that off screen between movies. She destroyed the giant computer that ran their society and was their god, and also boiled their seas, wiped out most of their atmosphere, and extinguished their sun. And this movie is about one evil Kree lady trying to steal other planet's oceans, atmosphere, and sun in order to save the Kree homeworld.

These fuckin late era Marvel movies are trying to do way too much poo poo.

Wait didn't she do that in the first one? I assumed that was a direct flashback. That was all new?

The worst sequence in The Marvels is when they gently caress up the Skrull/Kree negotiations. The Skrulls are like 200 people, they live in a modern art museum, they're all dressed the same, most(?) of them die as a result. Captain Marvel just palms the remnant off on Tessa Thompson who appears for one scene, not in costume and stands in one spot for her entire appearance. The Skrull President is at worst 'surly' about this ordeal.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
What little motivation I had to watch The Marvels was completely annihilated by the boring opening on the moon. It just looked so flat and grey and I didn't get a handle on who these people were. Like, they were clearly bad guys, but they weren't menacing or interesting at all. Why would I watch a movie where these fuckers are the bad guys?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Haha I had the exact same reaction

Like drat this opening looks so flat and dull and quick. Who are these people digging around in the dirt? lol

Why is this your opening

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gripweed posted:

The Marvels was a bit of a mess. It serves as a sequel to three things; the Ms. Marvel show no one watched, a minor subplot from the Wandavision show, and, and this one's the largest factor, a Captain Marvel movie that does not exist.

This is kind of half the problem at the moment with all the Marvel sequels, in that they pretend massive events happened between films and it's incredibly jarring and unsatisfying.

Doctor Strange 2 had the same problem where the villain the last film set-up is mentioned as having been dispatched off screen between events.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Who Mordo? He’s in the movie lol. They have a fight.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The other Mordo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

What in the world.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Who Mordo? He’s in the movie lol. They have a fight.

Alternative reality Mordo, sure, but when they meet him Strange tells America Chavez that our version of Mordo used to be his friend but "then he snapped and dedicated his life to trying to kill me."

Which means the set-up at the end of Doctor Strange has been entirely resolved off-screen. Strange and Mordo ended their on-screen relationship as friends that had a disagreement, with Mordo walking off and abandoning him. Strange finding out the resentment runs much deeper than that, and presumably finding out that Mordo aims to destroy all magic users, appears to have happened entirely in the liminal space between films.

Sure, the conflict might be on going, but any affect it had on Strange to discover his former ally is now hellbent on killing him isn't something we get to see.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

PriorMarcus posted:

Alternative reality Mordo, sure, but when they meet him Strange tells America Chavez that our version of Mordo used to be his friend but "then he snapped and dedicated his life to trying to kill me."

Which means the set-up at the end of Doctor Strange has been entirely resolved off-screen. Strange and Mordo ended their on-screen relationship as friends that had a disagreement, with Mordo walking off and abandoning him. Strange finding out the resentment runs much deeper than that, and presumably finding out that Mordo aims to destroy all magic users, appears to have happened entirely in the liminal space between films.

Sure, the conflict might be on going, but any affect it had on Strange to discover his former ally is now hellbent on killing him isn't something we get to see.

[edit:

I mean yea. It’s dumb as poo poo. But Raimi stuff happens so whatever tbh lol

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 20, 2024

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKLpVgPCpcY

This was the post credit scene for the first film. We don’t get to see it but it didn’t come out of nowhere I guess.

No, I know. I'm saying that the conflict that sets up, which a viewer at the time would assume is Doctor Strange 2, happens entirely off-screen.

Even Mordo's appearance in MoM is portrayed as if you've seen the imaginary film where he was the primary villain and him actually being a good guy (albeit still opposed to Strange) is a twist on this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I edited it when I reread your post

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I edited it when I reread your post

Haha! Fair enough. I agree the Raimi poo poo we got was great, I just wish we'd got a Raimi film about Mordo too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly I wouldn’t mind the Derrickson/cargil sequel tbh. I like Cargill a lot and I met him at a con and he was talking about working on strange 2 :/

I was bummed when they left but ofc Raimi jumping on is like well yeah I’m always down

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Honestly I wouldn’t mind the Derrickson/cargil sequel tbh. I like Cargill a lot and I met him at a con and he was talking about working on strange 2 :/

I was bummed when they left but ofc Raimi jumping on is like well yeah I’m always down

Do we know anything about what that would've looked like? Did it have a different story or was it always a multiverse film?

I liked a lot of what Raimi did, but also kind of missed a focus on the mirror dimension and the kind of "magic eye" style magic of the first film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think they were considering some character called nightmare, who does dream stuff. That could’ve been fun. Probably would’ve done mordo stuff too.

But mostly would see it because I am a fan over anything lol

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

PriorMarcus posted:

This is kind of half the problem at the moment with all the Marvel sequels, in that they pretend massive events happened between films and it's incredibly jarring and unsatisfying.

Doctor Strange 2 had the same problem where the villain the last film set-up is mentioned as having been dispatched off screen between events.

They've been doing this poo poo for at least a decade, I remember when Tony Stark blew up all his Iron Man suits at the end of Iron Man 3, signifying that his arc had ended and he had grown past his need/dependency on them and then whoops okay never mind opening scen of Age of Ultron he's back in the suit, no explanation, jus setup for next thing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Vargo posted:

They've been doing this poo poo for at least a decade, I remember when Tony Stark blew up all his Iron Man suits at the end of Iron Man 3, signifying that his arc had ended and he had grown past his need/dependency on them and then whoops okay never mind opening scen of Age of Ultron he's back in the suit, no explanation, jus setup for next thing.

Tony's character arc, from Ultron onwards is a mess, yep, and happens entirely off-screen again between films, which leads to insane poo poo that could've been easily avoided, like Pepper and him separating off-screen, reconciling off-screen, getting engaged and married off-screen and then having a family in a time jump off-screen.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 20, 2024

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

PriorMarcus posted:

Even Mordo's appearance in MoM is portrayed as if you've seen the imaginary film where he was the primary villain and him actually being a good guy (albeit still opposed to Strange) is a twist on this.

lmao I also assumed this has happened in a previous film. Marvel should be paying me for the amount of context I've been imagining here!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PriorMarcus posted:

Tony's character arc, from Ultron onwards is a mess, yep, and happens entirely off-screen again between films, which leads to insane poo poo that could've been easily avoided, like Pepper and him separating off-screen, reconciling off-screen, getting engaged and married off-screen and then having a family in a time jump off-screen.

Infinity War and Endgame also have Star-Lord's arc completely disjointed from the trilogy, despite being among the movies the most tied into them.

In short, the MCU manages to recreate pretty much all the problems with ongoing comic book shared universes in a fraction of the time and instalments.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Infinity War and Endgame also have Star-Lord's arc completely disjointed from the trilogy, despite being among the movies the most tied into them.

In short, the MCU manages to recreate pretty much all the problems with ongoing comic book shared universes in a fraction of the time and instalments.

Oh yeah, 100%. His and Gamora get together off-screen to facilitate where they need him to be.

Even the final fight in Endgame gives time to Captain Marvel to fight Thanos instead of Gamora, Nebula or Drax who have an actual connection to him.

Imagine if you cut out Captain Marvel entirely from fighting Thanos and instead the one's that hold him off the most are his daughters before Tony has to get the gauntlet.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If they were smart they would make hastily-made tie-in comics that showed this stuff. More people would probably buy them than regular comics.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

there hasn't been a good marvel movie since the ones with thanos fyi

even the last one was just a theater spectacle i wouldn't bother watching again at home

im slightly curious about deadpool and wolverine but deep down im pretty sure they're going to gently caress it up

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
there hasn't been a good marvel movie since Ang Lee's Hulk

except the first Spider-Verse i guess

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'll be glad if Matthew Vaughn never directs a film again. All those Millar movies were incredibly lame and cringe, like most Millar comics. Keep him and Mark Millar separate forever. Humoring those lovely rear end movies is how we got LENIN HITLER EPIC TEAM UP, the projectile making GBS threads and puking in Kickass 2 or whatever, and "Argylle". They were all always bad and stupid.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
He's so lame I'd rather see a new Joe Carnahan film than a new Matthew Vaughn film but I'd prefer Ow! My Balls! to either torture.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

He's so lame I'd rather see a new Joe Carnahan film than a new Matthew Vaughn film but I'd prefer Ow! My Balls! to either torture.

I really liked The Grey.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'll be glad if Matthew Vaughn never directs a film again. All those Millar movies were incredibly lame and cringe, like most Millar comics. Keep him and Mark Millar separate forever. Humoring those lovely rear end movies is how we got LENIN HITLER EPIC TEAM UP, the projectile making GBS threads and puking in Kickass 2 or whatever, and "Argylle". They were all always bad and stupid.

Argylle and Kingsman are a shared universe. Kingsman 3: The Kingsfisher is out next February, The King Man 2: It's a Man's World Now! is out late next year. There's an Apple TV series called Queens and Kingsman in development and there's another two Argylle books due out this year. Meanwhile Henry Caville said he signed a 6 picture deal for Argylle and the other spin-offs.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think Vaughn just peaked at Kingsman and used up all his tricks.

His whippy cartoony style was cool one time but it got grating real fast during The Golden Circle.

I like the idea of some of these argylle action scenes but execution wise they be stinky.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

I really liked The Grey.

Yeah...and with Vaughn I remember thinking Layer Cake was good as a tween but boy can they (especially Vaughn) get incredibly obnoxious.

Also the first Kingsman was pretty loving lame too imo (ditto Kick rear end). All that painful white boy bullshit was there from the jump. Yeah I know, I know, the church scene. I feel like he peaked with Layer Cake tbh.
Millar generally just makes me nauseous though.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 20, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ok

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Grey is like, a real movie with actors portraying real emotions and real stakes taken deadly serious. Matthew Vaughn has never made a movie like that unless we're counting Layer Cake, although Carnahan's recent resume certainly hasn't been good either.

There's a whole group of filmmakers in this generation that just don't ever do real stuff. All the real stuff is covered up by quips and self-referential winks to the audience.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The Grey is like, a real movie with actors portraying real emotions and real stakes taken deadly serious. Matthew Vaughn has never made a movie like that unless we're counting Layer Cake, although Carnahan's recent resume certainly hasn't been good either.
True true. Boss Level certainly was uh...something.

Vaughn would be a perfect (🤢) guy for The Borderlands movie but I guess that's already coming out in a couple months :pwn:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Eli Roth is directing the borderlands movie

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah I know, I know, the church scene.

Haha, honestly I don't really think any of Kingsman is that good, including the church scene which feels incredibly artificially.

However, I think Taron Egerton is handsome and charming as all hell so I kind of like it overall.

The sequel is dogshit though that even he can't overcome so I get my fix from Rocketman instead.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The first kingsman’s weird artificial whippy action clicks with me for some reason. It’s like an experiment.

It’s kind of choppy and messy but it feels like a lot of it was done for real in some capacity. But when he did 2 he just did everything in a green screen with cgi all over the place and it lost that scrappy weird charm for me

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Kingsman was fine, the style fit the material and it felt like a fresh mix of things that we hadn't seen before. The problem is that he then made two pointless sequels and then Argylle, so it's an entire decade of nothing but uncreative reproductions of one successful film. Eventually you have to come to the conclusion that this is all he can do.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Kingsman is when I gave up on Vaughn. I don't watch his movies anymore

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pretty much. I had negative interest in argylle for a good reason lol. The kings man was horrifically awful. Outside of the Rasputin stuff which is in the first half it had little humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gonna be real and say the kingsman score does a lot of work for me.

I kinda like the argylle score as well ngl. When a new Vaughn flick rolls around now I peep the soundtrack day 1 and don’t see the film lol