Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Happy New Year, Generation Chat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

I loved Gattaca but after a decade I started thinking hey this guy with a heart condition that could die at any time lied his way into a year long space mission where he could jeopardize the whole thing by dying, all so he could feel better about himself

Uh, the point was that his diagnosis was vastly overblown and he did fine the whole time?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

null_pointer posted:

Silly question, probably the wrong place for it, feel free to kick me out if needed, etc ...

... but name me an actor in a given role whose character moves from goofy to menacing, naturally.

I'm not talking "the psychopath who occasionally tells a joke" like Michael Mando in Far Cry or Ledger's Joker, but someone normally gregarious, who occasionally lets the mask slip.

I don't know why I'm asking, just that i honestly can't think of any and I'm sure as soon as someone posts an answer I'm going to feel dumb as poo poo for not remembering them :(

The card game in Training Day starts with everybody being kinda goofy in a disarming way but the whole situation slips into You Done hosed Up so fast.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

null_pointer posted:

God drat my memory is poo poo :smith:

No I'm pretty sure your memory is correct. The doctor is always trying to tell him about his son throughout the movie.

ccubed posted:

Gattaca chatter. It's been awhile, but wasn't there a scene where Ethan Hawke is exercising but he has something altering the heart monitor and it slips at some point and his heart was racing a million miles an hour even though he wasn't showing the effects?

At that point Hawke has been running for a million hours. There might be something to the genetic engineering where all the other applicants are really at peak performance without breaking a sweat... or everybody is full of poo poo and constantly collapsing behind the scenes, and it's just that Hawke's methods of concealment are a little cruder than everybody else's.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

e: To write something that fits the thread, people make fun of the concept of Thing: The Novelization of the Thing Movie Based on The Novel Thing By Author but are there real examples? The closest I think I've seen are special editions of the original novel that change the names of characters and maybe cut some chapters to fit the movie, a still from which replaces the cover.

Not exactly what you mean but I always laugh when I remember that Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game exists.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I finally got around to seeing M3gan, which was entertaining but could have stood to be weirder and meaner. Feels like they chickened out from making a full-throated "parenting sucks, especially when you never asked for it" movie.

I'd say they didn't chicken out so much as that is the complete opposite of what they wanted to say, i.e. you will be a terrible parent if you don't commit.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Watched Desperado randomly yesterday and having never sought out Rodriguez's stuff, I get why he had a career based on this alone. Was just so much fun, with Trejo's scene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTTYOJ3oqSs) being a highlight. Was howling when the hero had two friends that look exactly like him show up without any prior mention also with guitar cases and more so when one of the cases turned out to be a tiny rocket launcher.

Gonna check out the other two films in the trilogy, but I worry a little I just saw Rod at his best.

That scene owns so much, I wanted so badly to get throwing knives after seeing that as a kid. It cemented Danny Trejo too, dude is just a colossal badass in that scene and the movie did a perfect job setting him up as one until then.

As for the Mariachi's band members, I always imagined they both had their own story similar to Antonio's character, just that when the rocket launcher guy walked into a bar seeking Bunko, the ensuing shoot-out was rather short. The dual gun guy is the same actor as El Mariachi's, iIrc.

Gripweed posted:

El Mariachi is extremely good, and Once Upon a Time in Mexico is a lot of fun if you don’t just recoil at the sight of Johnny Depp, which at this point is understandable.

One of these days I need to rewatch Once Upon a Time in Mexico because I bounced off of it hard when it came out. Not even because of Depp, this was all pre-Sparrow. I just expected a direct sequel to Desperado and this was definitely not it. It was like wanting to see the next episode in your favorite cartoon show, but instead you got a different but very similar cartoon show, reusing some of the character designs.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Roth posted:

You're a moron.

The menacing Snyder fan has logged on, ready to take names and snap necks!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Kevin James is fantastic in Becky.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done has Shannon do a young-ish Kinski.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

The biggest problem with Reacher is that the titular character is not large enough.

They should do an episode with Lord of the Rings-esque perspective trickery to increase Reacher's height by 17%

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, having him be surrounded by a bunch of mini-Reachers I think was a poor choice. Should have stuck with the whole drifter in a strange town uncovering something nasty by accident thing.

Like that old Hulk show, but Bruce Banner is Smart Hulk all the time.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

It's a fantastic concept, although I wouldn't want to miss the transformation scenes and accompanying plot contrivances for the world.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I would have guessed The Reader but that's the wrong blonde lady.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Aquaman 1 was a troubled production, where they evidently had to make a lot of changes in pre-production and beyond. You can get a sense of the original concept by watching the darn Snyder Cut, where the Aquaman is a bitter alcoholic because of his exile from the land of straightfaced science fantasy. When 'grimdark' became a meme, the studio obviously panicked at the premise of 'bitter alcoholic Aquaman' and consequently tried to 'lighten the tone' through such methods as literally just dialing up the saturation by 50%. The biggest change was, of course, making Aquaman into a wisecracking party doofus who loves beer in a goofy way.

So that probably explains why the actually-released film features reams and reams of shoddy expository dialogue and conspicuously 'punched-up' comedy stuff at the expense of the setting. The nadir, for me, is a shot of Aquaman's 'stats' put up on a jumbotron, where the joke is that they're insulting stats. Jot note "he's smelly", or whatever. It's a joke ripped from the studio cut of Suicide Squad, which was itself ripped from the Guardians Of The Galaxy teaser trailer. Besides it being hack poo poo, why are the Atlanteans writing in English?

Aquaman 2 avoids most of these issues, intentionally or not, by making the villain and his sidekick the protagonists for the first third of the movie. After the extremely lovely pre-titles recap/prologue, you mostly get to watch these dudes go on adventures, battle monsters, do a heist.... Then Patrick Wilson shows up and steals the show. Aquaman pretty much becomes the comic relief of his own movie, and nearly all the jokes stem from him being an rear end in a top hat.

And I mean that in a good way: Jason Momoa sells that role without undercutting anything, and the setting itself is more coherent as a result. Instead of constantly vascillating between dramatic fantasy and wakka-wakka poo poo that undercuts it, Aquaman 2 takes inherently-silly pulp subject matter (robot squids, costumed henchmen, spooky glowing skelingtons, etc.) and consistently presents them as legitimate threats.

Also, because it's very much an Aquaman Part 2, the exposition's mostly out of the way and you can just watch these super-guys do stuff. It suffers as a standalone film but, if you treat the two as a single 5-hour movie (as with the Matrix sequels), the addition of this second half increases the overall quality by like 75%.

I liked the first movie a lot but drat, this makes me wanna watch the second where I had zero interest before due to the shoddy marketing and it's weird place in Inconsequential Limbo.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

If Scorcese wanted to be controversial, he should make a movie about Mohammad.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Welcome to being German!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Man, Barbarella just refuses to generate any kind of narrative momentum. First thing that happens: Barbarella crash lands on a planet, breaking her spaceship’s stabilizers and requiring assistance from a local to repair it. Second thing that happens: Barbarella crash lands on a different part of that planet, breaking her spaceship’s stabilizers and requiring assistance from a local to repair it.

It's called an "arch", Barbarella tries to learn not to be a lovely pilot.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Looks like the new 28 Days Later Sequel is actually going to be a 2 parter with Boyle directing the first one and Alex Garland writing (Murphy is EP and unkown if he'll act) and no announcement of the second director.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/28-years-later-lands-home-sony-1235804926/

14 Days later and 14 Days Later 2.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Vargo posted:

Debating between Rocky 2 or 3 tonight. I think Rocky 2 is a better movie but 3 might be a better Carl Weathers movie

Predator

Or Action Jackson

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I died seven times over watching that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Mutant Mayhem. It was fun!

When they introduced the whole mutant crew I was like, "ok so clearly some of them will stick with Superfly but a couple will join the Turtles" but then they all like immediately decide against the kill all humans plan, even Bebop and Rocksteady. That was genuinely unexpected and great. Especially in the ensuing fight, none of them are really trying to hurt Superfly. It showed that they're against the plan but they still care about him. Kinda like the opposite of in Morbius, when Morbius finds out his best and oldest friend killed a couple people when he turned into a Morbius, and even though Morbius himself killed like literally a dozen people the first time he Morbed out, he's still like "I'm sorry, the only person I've ever loved, you are a Bad Guy and now I must kill you"

My one reservation about the movie is that it feels like it wanted to be way grosser than it is. April O'Puke is fantastic, and the loving closeup of Rocksteady's pierced nip is great, but it really feels like the movie wanted to have a lot more of that kind of stuff than it does.

It's a movie about the toy line from the 90s, those always felt so much weirder and grosser than the cartoons from that time.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

What are some movies other than The Rock that start with panicked radio chatter?

Fury

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gripweed posted:

It makes no goddamn sense that anyone knows about Shredder. How are the newspapers reporting on him? The Foot Clan just started doing crimes and is very mysterious, how does anyone even know they have an even more mysterious leader?

The opening monologue establishes that they call him Shredder because he "shreds" the city. But everyone in the Foot Clan calls him Shredder too. Was he already called Shredder for another reason and it's just a coincidence? Did they like the name the newspapers gave him and either that replaced his old name or they just never had a cool name for him before? His adopted son calls him Shredder.

You kind of just have to take one look at the guy to come up with that name.

The Turtles had some weird-rear end comics going on even considering they're Turtles comics. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a story about how being called Shredder is just a cosmic inevitability for the guy no matter what he does.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Maybe he's really buff? Or a very enthusiastic guitar player? I dunno, I got nothing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Just got out of Lisa Frankenstein and thought it was great. What most saw as derivative I saw as deconstructive. This is a movie that criticizes goth culture in a way that only could have come from someone who lived it. Diablo Cody is a good writer gently caress everyone who says she isn’t.

Goth culture is not, like, super deep. South Park mostly got it right. Is the movie as good as the South Park episodes featuring the goth kids?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

Me being upset she didn't know them. Seriously, if you really want to piss off a kid under the age of ten, say the name of their toys wrong.

This works remarkably well with Ninja Go, TMNT's spiritual successor.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Oooooh, it's ON!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

BonoMan posted:

She is absolutely an A-lister, wth y'all talking about??

Oh yeah? Please remind me, which superhero did she portray and how much money did that movie make?

I genuinely can't remember if she was in any cape poo poo movies, would be kind of impressive if she circumvented them until now.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda funny given Sam Worthington was for a while seemingly Hollywood desperately trying to push a leading man despite have no real personality traits or appeal whatsoever, which at least worked for Jakesully, and by the time the sequel came out it's almost a throwback to cast him given iirc he ain't done poo poo since then.

He's been in Things, I'm sure of it. But it's all more appropriate to what he can do and what audiences might want from him. During this brief period where he was pushed hard, he might as well have been Taylor Lautner. Except Terminator Salvation, he kind of was one of the better parts of that one.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

That's not how any of that works!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

What little motivation I had to watch The Marvels was completely annihilated by the boring opening on the moon. It just looked so flat and grey and I didn't get a handle on who these people were. Like, they were clearly bad guys, but they weren't menacing or interesting at all. Why would I watch a movie where these fuckers are the bad guys?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The Peccadillo posted:

Chat is roasting Madame Web's CPR

Movie's confusing. The gently caress is this dude's deal. He wants to kill potential spiderwomen because he has a vision that they kill him for some reason? No loving clue or allusion about what villainy he's up to

Is his name Captain Self-Fulfilling Prophecy?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The Peccadillo posted:

No they don't turn into the spiderwomen who kill him he dies while they're just regular

lmao perfect, a Kyle Reese-less Terminator

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Did... did Peppa learn that lesbians aren't scary?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

*Who because my family is weird is only two years younger than me.

I teach a girl in 9th grade who I know has an aunt in 7th grade and I am still not prepared to deal with that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I haven't seen it in probably fifteen years, but I remember is as good, and the early scene of the two heroes in full coats and hats as very visually striking.

There must have been at least two different occasions where I started watching Brotherhood... because I remembered cool poo poo like that only to be reminded that it also has ~150 minutes of French historical political drama. I respect it for the stuff it pulls off, but there are large chunks that just drag.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Blood Boils posted:

The Jason Momoa Conan is underrated, in the sense that nobody talks about it but it's actually decent

It barely manages to rise to Okayish for most of its runtime but the ending is just terrible. It's got similar problems as Pathfinder, the "Native Americans fight Vikings" movie, in that both have so much going on that sounds really loving metal on paper, but somehow falls flat in the movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

*Paul Muad'Dib having prophetic vision of a galactic Jihad enacted in his name*: Oh my gawd, it's a galactic Jihad enacted in my name!

Script-doctored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Want to steal it for some future project, where even if there is a main monster there's occasional bonus ghosts that nobody ever notices or comments on just kinda lurking in the frame.

Goon ghosts gotta lurk more!