Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A efw days ago I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Mutant Mayhem and liked it a lot. I was jonesing for more turtles, so tonight I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It wasn't very good.

A big problem is the Turtles themselves. They aren't very fun. The blue one has no personality, the purple one is just a cartoon nerd, the red one is angry specifically at his brothers way too much, and the orange one's jokes mainly revolve around how much he wants to gently caress April. These are not the fun teen ninjas I like. The only scene with them that really works is the beatboxing in the elevator part. That's great! But having one scene that works just kinda highlights how all the rest don't.

Also, they really shouldn't have human lips. That's very off putting.

The other major problem is ho generic the whole thing is. The background music is the most generic superhero movie BGM I've ever heard, there's no flair to the camera work, or sets or costumes or lighting or anything, it's all played totally straight. I'm not saying that a movie where everything is totally normal except for the existence of the Turtles couldn't work. But it certainly doesn't work here.

Also, I have no idea why Shredder and the evil CEO are two separate characters. It would have made way more sense if they were one guy.

But on the other hand, the Turtles do do a literal goddamn Jet Stream Attack, so that's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It makes no goddamn sense that anyone knows about Shredder. How are the newspapers reporting on him? The Foot Clan just started doing crimes and is very mysterious, how does anyone even know they have an even more mysterious leader?

The opening monologue establishes that they call him Shredder because he "shreds" the city. But everyone in the Foot Clan calls him Shredder too. Was he already called Shredder for another reason and it's just a coincidence? Did they like the name the newspapers gave him and either that replaced his old name or they just never had a cool name for him before? His adopted son calls him Shredder.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That’s just good opsec

Children can’t keep secrets

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gripweed posted:

A efw days ago I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Mutant Mayhem and liked it a lot. I was jonesing for more turtles, so tonight I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It wasn't very good.

A big problem is the Turtles themselves. They aren't very fun. The blue one has no personality, the purple one is just a cartoon nerd, the red one is angry specifically at his brothers way too much, and the orange one's jokes mainly revolve around how much he wants to gently caress April. These are not the fun teen ninjas I like. The only scene with them that really works is the beatboxing in the elevator part. That's great! But having one scene that works just kinda highlights how all the rest don't.

Also, they really shouldn't have human lips. That's very off putting.

The other major problem is ho generic the whole thing is. The background music is the most generic superhero movie BGM I've ever heard, there's no flair to the camera work, or sets or costumes or lighting or anything, it's all played totally straight. I'm not saying that a movie where everything is totally normal except for the existence of the Turtles couldn't work. But it certainly doesn't work here.

Also, I have no idea why Shredder and the evil CEO are two separate characters. It would have made way more sense if they were one guy.

But on the other hand, the Turtles do do a literal goddamn Jet Stream Attack, so that's pretty cool.

Have you seen the 1990 one?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

That’s just good opsec

Children can’t keep secrets

His adopted adult son

ruddiger posted:

Have you seen the 1990 one?

no.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gripweed posted:

It makes no goddamn sense that anyone knows about Shredder. How are the newspapers reporting on him? The Foot Clan just started doing crimes and is very mysterious, how does anyone even know they have an even more mysterious leader?

The opening monologue establishes that they call him Shredder because he "shreds" the city. But everyone in the Foot Clan calls him Shredder too. Was he already called Shredder for another reason and it's just a coincidence? Did they like the name the newspapers gave him and either that replaced his old name or they just never had a cool name for him before? His adopted son calls him Shredder.

You kind of just have to take one look at the guy to come up with that name.

The Turtles had some weird-rear end comics going on even considering they're Turtles comics. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a story about how being called Shredder is just a cosmic inevitability for the guy no matter what he does.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Grendels Dad posted:

You kind of just have to take one look at the guy to come up with that name.

The Turtles had some weird-rear end comics going on even considering they're Turtles comics. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a story about how being called Shredder is just a cosmic inevitability for the guy no matter what he does.

But he doesn't start the movie with the sword armor! You see it get presented to him, and it's well after he got the name Shredder!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Maybe he's really buff? Or a very enthusiastic guitar player? I dunno, I got nothing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Shredder has pretty much always been depicted as an ambitious, aggressive egomaniac and petty violent manchild who demands to be respected and feared, it's really not that surprising he'd come up with that name. Deep down he's really not that different from the turtles, in all the worst ways. Funny thing is this is the same even in the version where he's secretly one of the alien squid head guys, where he's literally a goofy cartoon villain who's scared of his mother finding out he's a supervillain, and the one where he can fight Batman one on one and win.

Srice posted:

A lot of the movie reminded me of the newer Hitman games and that moment absolutely sealed it.

Shameless airport thriller stuff with an effort to have villains you love to hate and heroes who are just mysterious enough to be interesting? I can dig it.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Nepotism isn't so much the problem itself as the symptom of a problem (i.e. that it's increasingly impossible to get your foot in the door unless you have enough money that you can afford to be unemployed or working low-paid jobs for long periods of time.) Which is a problem with modern capitalism in general but also the arts in specific, etc. I don't begrudge any of the individuals their success.

Dakota Johnson I kinda like because I'm one of a handful of people who watched the six-week-or-so run of Ben and Kate, a fun little sitcom where she was cute and funny and held her own alongside Nat Faxon and Lucy Punch. Also the Suspiria remake was good.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What I don't understand is why Hollywood wants to put Australians in movies so bad

I wonder if there's some relation there; Australia doesn't really have a Hollywood, and has just enough of a low budget entertainment industry to have a steady pipeline of actors; see how many of them get their start on Home and Away and/or Neighbours. You can only get so many remotely competent nepo babies out of the local pipeline, but Australia provides plenty of presentable white English speaking actors with a reasonable resume who can pass for American or British with some voice coaching.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Pirate Jet posted:

This is a movie that criticizes goth culture in a way that only could have come from someone who lived it. Diablo Cody is a good writer gently caress everyone who says she isn’t.
Oh, gently caress. I might not be prepared for how much I'm destined to hate this.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought it was fine. Fairly entertaining. Not super obnoxious. Pretty funny at times, got decent laughs out of the theater. Surprisingly crazy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I love Whoopi Goldberg. Between Sister Act and Star Trek The Next Generation, Whoopi Goldberg featured prominently in my childhood.

Do people not like Whoopi Goldberg? What’s wrong with them?

She defended Roman Polanski in the most disgusting way possible.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm not a huge fan of the movie overall but Whoopi is great in Altman's The Player. wish she had done more roles like that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Just got out of Lisa Frankenstein and thought it was great. What most saw as derivative I saw as deconstructive. This is a movie that criticizes goth culture in a way that only could have come from someone who lived it. Diablo Cody is a good writer gently caress everyone who says she isn’t.

Goth culture is not, like, super deep. South Park mostly got it right. Is the movie as good as the South Park episodes featuring the goth kids?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

What's the modern goth equivalent? Witch girls? Pretty sure they're still a big thing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's no modern equivalent. There are still goths, but gothic style and music has been mainstreamed to the point that I don't think there are a lot of teenagers and early 20somethings who feel the need to identify as part of a goth subculture.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alhazred posted:

She defended Roman Polanski in the most disgusting way possible.

You mean she taught a nation the distinction between "rape" and "rape rape". :yikes:

Plus she convinced Ted Danson to do blackface lmao

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TrixRabbi posted:

What's the modern goth equivalent? Witch girls? Pretty sure they're still a big thing.

E-girls and boys.

Idk really know what they are but they exist lol

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Goth culture is not, like, super deep. South Park mostly got it right. Is the movie as good as the South Park episodes featuring the goth kids?

You do not have to try hard to be better than South Park.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Grendels Dad posted:

No

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

E-girls and boys.

Yeah it's this.

[Crosses eyes and sticks out tongue]

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Genshin cosplayers

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Halloween Jack posted:

There's no modern equivalent. There are still goths, but gothic style and music has been mainstreamed to the point that I don't think there are a lot of teenagers and early 20somethings who feel the need to identify as part of a goth subculture.

Yeah, calling yourself a goth doesn't really mean anything beyond have certain aesthetic prefs. Some folks are just down for the Count. :shrug:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Saw Fighter and man, the India propaganda and nationalism and whatnot lately in their blockbusters is high to cartoonish levels. Shouldn't be surprised tho considering how many American movies I've seen.

That being said, Hrithik Roshan and Deepika Padukone are such beautiful people. They're mesmerizing on the screen.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's funny how over the top evil Pakistan is in Fighter, although it doesn't come near topping Tiger 3's former ISIS child suicide bomber who learnt they don't need to be forced into extremism and adopted by Tiger, practically becoming a son of theirs one film later going off and heroically blowing himself up to save India from perfidious Pakistan.

Fighter really doesn't feel like it needs its runtime like the YRF spy movies do. Lots of down time and speed running of both Top Gun plots before ultimately landing back on the ground for a standard action ending. Kind of disappointing.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 13, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Gatts posted:

Saw Fighter and man, the India propaganda and nationalism and whatnot lately in their blockbusters is high to cartoonish levels. Shouldn't be surprised tho considering how many American movies I've seen.

That being said, Hrithik Roshan and Deepika Padukone are such beautiful people. They're mesmerizing on the screen.

I'm going to have to catch it, where'd you see it?. Padukone is incredible in Pathaan & Jawan with Shah Rukh Khan, I'm interested to see how she does with Roshan who is even better looking.

I have to admit I'm more jealous of Khan & Roshan's hair than anything else. How do they do it?!

Edit: don't spoil that Tiger 3 moment! It's the most incredible scene I've seen in years because I couldn't believe they were going to commit to the bit but then, wow, they did

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 13, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You know what. You're right. Me and my buddy absolutely lost our poo poo once we realized what they were doing. And again when they flash back to it five minutes later to reveal Tiger and his wife planned out their maneuver to trap the OSI agent during the sacrifice

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

trevorreznik posted:

I'm going to have to catch it, where'd you see it?. Padukone is incredible in Pathaan & Jawan with Shah Rukh Khan, I'm interested to see how she does with Roshan who is even better looking.

I have to admit I'm more jealous of Khan & Roshan's hair than anything else. How do they do it?!

Edit: don't spoil that Tiger 3 moment! It's the most incredible scene I've seen in years because I couldn't believe they were going to commit to the bit but then, wow, they did

I saw it at a Cinemark theater. The one I like often has international films play

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Gatts posted:

I saw it at a Cinemark theater. The one I like often has international films play

Well heck, I just found out there's a "cine lounge" by me that plays nothing but foreign movies like this and has fighter. Maybe I can drag my wife to it. This theater seems to have nothing but Indian movies that take forever to come out on streaming

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 13, 2024

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Napoleon (2023, d. Scott)

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

just saw past lives again in a theater where celine song did a q&a after. i enjoyed it the first time, but i absolutely loved it this second time. and hearing song talk about it with so much passion and joy and playfulness was a delight.

im an old cranky tired bitch and i forgot the showing was tonight and almost didn't bother going but im so glad i did. a billion out of ten experience. some of my friends gave it a 2 on letterboxd and they're just objectively wrong wtf

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1757180101169430559?s=46

A cartoon!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Out of The Shadows. It is strictly an improvement over the first one. Bebop and Rocksteady are great, and the orange Turtle almost never talks about how much he wants to gently caress April

But it also carries over the major problems from the first one. The Turtles are still not very likeable characters. The blue one still has no personality. Their intra-team strife feels very forced and inauthentic, something they put in the movie because that's the sort of thing you need in a movie. And when they already aren't fun characters, spending so much of their screen time being mad at each other for no reason makes them even less fun.

The weirdest loving thing is how they introduce Krang. It's early in the movie, before Bebop and Rocksteady become Mutants, before Casey Jones starts wearing a hockey mask. As I sad about the first one, the world is played totally straight, the only unusual thing is the Turtles themselves. The only reference to aliens was in the first one, when April immediately dismisses the idea as absurd when Vern suggests it as an explanation for the Turtles. There wasn't a dramatic shot of a spaceship in orbit, or a mysterious metal figure in shadow, nothing, not a single loving hint or word of set up for Krang. At this point in the film, it's just the Turtles vs Shredder again. No aliens. This is how the idea of Krang, and aliens, is introduced to the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Tc4X7fnZI

I genuinely thought I must've accidentally skipped a scene somewhere.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It is genuinely upsetting to me that you don't know the names of the ninja turtles. I haven't seen the Bay movies and I'll take your word they aren't great, but do they not teach this in school anymore? I'm having flashbacks to being 7 and getting upset at my parents for putting the wrong color bandana on my birthday cake.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Air Skwirl posted:

It is genuinely upsetting to me that you don't know the names of the ninja turtles. I haven't seen the Bay movies and I'll take your word they aren't great, but do they not teach this in school anymore? I'm having flashbacks to being 7 and getting upset at my parents for putting the wrong color bandana on my birthday cake.

The red one, who I think is also the best one, or at least the most consistently entertaining one across the TMNT media I’ve seen, is Raphael. I’m like 80% sure the orange one is Donnie. I’m less certain about Michaelangelo and the other one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

The red one, who I think is also the best one, or at least the most consistently entertaining one across the TMNT media I’ve seen, is Raphael. I’m like 80% sure the orange one is Donnie. I’m less certain about Michaelangelo and the other one.

Are you my mom in the early 90s?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Red is Raphael
Orange is Michelangelo
Purple is Donatello
Blue is Leonardo
Pink is Venus de Milo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Air Skwirl posted:

Are you my mom in the early 90s?

What happened in the mid 90s that made your mom finally learn their names?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Pokeyman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's so hosed up they named the girl turtle after a topless statue and not a female artist. Like I'm sure I would know who Leonardo Da Vinci was without the turtles, and probably Michelangelo, but I doubt I could have named the other two if there wasn't a ninja turtle named after them, and there were a bunch of female renaissance painters.