Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CelticPredator posted:

Psycho Gorman and The Evil Dead have neither of these and they're perfect films, however they have monster suits and exploding heads, respectively

(no i dont think the evil pov goes on for a long time. it goes on for the perfect time!)

both of those movies have dudes in rubber suits! the system works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I feel like if spielberg was dead set on having the son live in war of the worlds it would’ve been more interesting to see him done up as a militiaman or something, wearing a bit of scavenged gear or showing up with the soldiers who actually take down the listing tripod. signify that he’s changed or grown in some way since Cruisedad let him go his own way, that in the very least choosing to go fight the Martians, pointless as it was, marked some shift and that he had his own story separate from the main plot. As it is he basically looked like he walked over the hill directly into the end scene of the movie and feels more like a reward for cruise than the coda to an actual character.

regulargonzalez posted:

Similarly, I saw Lincoln with my wife, mom, and sister and we were all in agreement that the movie should have ended with the shot of Lincoln leaving for the theater. It's a great shot, everyone knows what happens after that and there's no need to show it, ending the film at that point gives it a certain piquant flavor that is lost with the extra runtime. It even felt like that's how Spielberg wanted to end it but then just couldn't help himself.

This is exactly how Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter ends, incidentally

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I got strong kangaroo jack vibes from agent argyle trailers so I had a feeling it was going to be poo poo, and also feel certain that the cat was a producer addition that someone thought was necessary for ad sales

The Peccadillo posted:

I haven't seen Poor Things yet but one of the Chapo guys hated it so bad and called him Youlose Lostthemost. Hard disagree, Will Menekar is adopted and I am his dad. Thankthemos

I like the chapos well enough but their takes on movies are - with rare exception - consistently so loving bad that every time they try to talk film it makes me suddenly doubt their opinion on everything else.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I’m a weird paranoid little freak and the whole madame web/dakota johnson promo thing has gotten to the point where I’m idly wondering if it’s a work, like there already were rumblings internally that the movie was going to be dogshit so someone in marketing had the bright idea to just lean in to superhero fatigue and the belief that actors are slumming it being in these movies.

Also on an entirely unrelated note I decided to pop my lanthimos cherry by going to see Poor Things and god drat, feel like I got hit by a truck with that one

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

It definitely adds a lot of subtext, but Romero said several times the script wasn't specifically written for a black man and he was cast because he was simply the best actor who auditioned.

This is only half the story though because yes, Ben wasn’t initially written as a black man, but when Duane Jones was cast Romero edited the script fairly significantly to accommodate Jones’ performance. The initial version of ben as written was a much more thuggish and threatening character, compared to Jones’ severe but practical performance.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

That was the height of blog-brain culture war stuff and it always came off to me like some of them actually wanted it to happen, to validate their existing beliefs about the kind of person who would go see Joker

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

Another factor was that there had, of course, been a shooting at a theatre by someone "dressed as the Joker".

My favorite part of this is that the joker angle was invented whole-cloth by the sheriff, who really openly wanted to get a moral panic going and basically just lied his rear end off to the press

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Yeah from what I understand there’s a whole conga line of jurisdictions lining up to put Harvey’s rear end in jail, he’s probably not walking free any time soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

There are plenty of great modern kamen riders, like Black Sun, where the thesis was “shinzo abe getting got with the contraption whipped rear end and should happen more”