Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bright Bart posted:

My secret shame is that I don't find butts, buttholes, farting, or feces funny at all.

Same. While there are some exceptions, most scatological or grossout humor completely misses me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I finally caught Minus One the other day, myself. (The first film I saw in theater since The Lighthouse.)

The criticisms that it feel like Godzilla-by-way-of-Spielberg are about correct, in both the good and bad sense. The theater actually had a power outage toward the end, so I ended up missing everything between the destroyers crossing paths and Godzilla being towed back out of the depths.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DeimosRising posted:

the ones that are like all the broken hosed up pieces and they've covered them in honey mustard sauce, premium stuff

that's the good poo poo

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

josh04 posted:

Aside from the split diopter these are also the ingredients for a quality orgy.

No more embarrassing reason to end up at a hospital.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

:lol: The dude walks like a cartoon.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Yes. Knock on wood, but it's an epic well up there with LotR and GoT in how dense and well thought out the world is.

LotR is three paperbacks long.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Halloween Jack posted:

There's no modern equivalent. There are still goths, but gothic style and music has been mainstreamed to the point that I don't think there are a lot of teenagers and early 20somethings who feel the need to identify as part of a goth subculture.

Yeah, calling yourself a goth doesn't really mean anything beyond have certain aesthetic prefs. Some folks are just down for the Count. :shrug:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MacheteZombie posted:

Just like alien and aliens, the first one is vastly superior

Truth.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MacheteZombie posted:

Thats incredibly cool would love to hear about his storage of the prints and films he got he wasnt expecting, like you're bit about him having a ton of reels to catalog, if anything rare came out of a similar moment.

I'll echo this, I'd love to hear about his setup.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ShoogaSlim posted:

what the hell was the point of that lol it almost makes me bummed to watch it now.

Optimal viewing conditions.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The gently caress is this guy's problem with Miss Piggy???

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I mean, the house he grew up in was a plantation manor,

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jay Rust posted:

Airplane! is one of the rare parodies that have outlived and outlasted the original movies they're lampooning

Coming across an actual Airport film on tv was a surreal experience.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Straight-to-Netflix movies are OVAs.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bright Bart posted:

There's apparently a movie being released soon about the heart-warming bond between a man an a wounded fox he found. It's set during WWII. And the man is part of an Austrian unit that occupied France.

Unless that fox whispered to the man to desert or to sabotage his side I really don't understand how this is a story we're meant to want to see.

Watch this be some cynical take on The Little Prince.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Toxic Mental posted:

Cloud Atlas is good. Like, very good. wtf

It's tremendous.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There's not much that offensive exactly, but the super early Discworld novels have some matter-of-factness about some crass genre cliches that the newer books handle a little better.

Still probably fine for kids.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

When people say consumerism in this context, they mean an obsession with getting stuff. The mall is a symbol of the getting of stuff because up until malls all died like 15 years ago, they were the place you went to get stuff.

Honestly, they weren't/aren't at all. Malls were/are just a generic third space people could go take a walk without worrying about the weather and to meet up with friends. People by-and-large did not go to malls to shop. Malls were built to accommodate people so afterwards they could build stores where people hung out.

You don't go to the mall to shop at Hot Topic. You shop at Hot Topic because you were already at the mall, anyways.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That rumor has always bothered me because it seems to have come from other people deciding on Shelly Duvall's behalf that her experience should have been traumatizing. But when you listen to what she actually has to say aboutit, she mostly complains how having to cry was physically draining and otherwise seems to have a high opinion of Kubrick.

https://movieweb.com/the-shining-shelley-duvall-stanley-kubrick/

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

Another good representation of scientists: Godzilla: Singular Point.

Honestly, yeah. The actual science is bonkers, but I've met people who weren't a stone's throw from its cast.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Peccadillo posted:

You can't have a fireplace in a treehouse you're gonna die

It's been a while but I feel fairly confident that A Swiss Family Robinson proves otherwise.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Pitch Black has a perfectly calibrated amount of Vin Diesel. Any more would be excessive.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Grendels Dad posted:

Not quite agreeing. You put that amount of Vin Diesel into any other movie than Pitch Black, you get Bloodshoot.

Granted, but part of calibration is making certain that every other parameter is correct as well.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Really I mean look at this rear end in a top hat and tell me that isn't exactly what he'd do and brag about at an industry event.

He just looks like some dude?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Data Graham posted:

(I think my favorite stunt multiball pastiche was "Professor Hawk" in Dexter's Lab who was a mashup of Jobs, Gates, Stephen Hawking, and Willy Wonka)

Also Waldo, from Heinlein's short story, who decides to give up being an inventor (and being disabled...) to instead take up dancing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Waffleman_ posted:

I haven't seen any of the sequel trilogy recently enough to say, but TLJ did have me hopeful that the sequel trilogy would be about something, but it turns out that "casting aside nostalgia/sentimentality for its own sake" is too big an ask for the audience

it was too big an ask even for TLJ

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Which goon was it that worked on Gusti Sterki? I showed that to some folks between Kamen Rider movies and it was a big hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FreudianSlippers posted:

I can neither confirm nor deny these allegations.

it was me. I made Gústi.

The whole thing was a hit but the lines regarding the swim team, the ocean's strongest material, and the final apology to the Icelandic Wrestling Association got the biggest laughs.