Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Selachian posted:

Archie 12/19-21/49

My heart is so soft that I feel bad for this one-shot character. Give that giantess a chance to live her dreams Archie, you jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Mark Trail's one of those strips that got a fresh artist recently. The old one got sacked for... I think it was getting into public fights with fans? I genuinely don't remember. And they replaced him with a former webcomicer. I think she just isn't handling the schedule of a daily too well.

James Allen's departure from Mark Trail was most likely due to his using the official Mark Trail Twitter account to insult Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, although the syndicate didn't actually come out and say so. Although even before then he'd been showing way too much dependence on traced art, plus an inability to pace a story.

Not that Jules has been much of an improvement. She seems to have convinced herself that anyone criticizing the strip is just a bitter old fart who's mad that she's not exactly copying the Allen-Elrod style (and to be fair, there are quite a few bitter old farts who are mad at any change on the comics page).

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Selachian posted:

James Allen's departure from Mark Trail was most likely due to his using the official Mark Trail Twitter account to insult Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, although the syndicate didn't actually come out and say so. Although even before then he'd been showing way too much dependence on traced art, plus an inability to pace a story.

Not that Jules has been much of an improvement. She seems to have convinced herself that anyone criticizing the strip is just a bitter old fart who's mad that she's not exactly copying the Allen-Elrod style (and to be fair, there are quite a few bitter old farts who are mad at any change on the comics page).

The one thing I'll give the new Mark Trail is that it's not entirely clip art like the last iteration. Jules' art may be bad, but at least she's drawing it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Whoever owns MT just needs to scrap it completely.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Selachian posted:

I was thinking of that, but I couldn't remember enough of the details so I went with the fights with the fanbase. Which was a pretty funny story, he gave the villain of the story the same name as a poster from here, then pushed him off a cliff-top. RIP, goon.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
mark trail should be sundays only. drat the plotline, just give us nature facts. one strip a week gives you time to make it look nice too

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Mister Olympus posted:

mark trail should be sundays only. drat the plotline, just give us nature facts. one strip a week gives you time to make it look nice too

this is the only awareness I had of Mark Trail growing up, tbh. I had no idea it was a weekly strip with storylines and characters and stuff, I just saw it in the color funnies and was like "oh boy the cool animal facts comic :neckbeard:"

it was a better time

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

I was thinking of that, but I couldn't remember enough of the details so I went with the fights with the fanbase. Which was a pretty funny story, he gave the villain of the story the same name as a poster from here, then pushed him off a cliff-top. RIP, goon.

Holy poo poo :captainpop:

Edit: found Allen’s twitter, guy’s completely off the Breitbart deep end

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 28, 2024

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
If you go back a few years the entire event was chronicled in these very threads, including the poster realizing he was being called out by an old man in the newspapers and bringing it to the syndicate.

I believe the character in question was a delusional diabetic bigfoot hunter who died in an avalanche

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 28, 2024

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Mokotow posted:

If I recall correctly, it was even wilder. The character's obsession with yetis was put down to complications from diabetes, and when an avalanche dropped tons of ice and snow atop him in front of Mark Trail,. Mark Trail didn't look for him or alert the authorities. In the words of the Newspaper Spider-Man Thread, Mark Trail hosed off and went home.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mokotow posted:

Is Mark Trail one of those situations where the cartoonist is having a stroke or is just so old they’re having a problem drawing basic pictures? Because drat, that punch.

It's a situation where the cartoonist is mostly interested in trolling the boomers that make up her readership, but not in actually creating a good cartoon. Started off by updating Cherry's look and making another character nonbinary to set of the olds in the comments. Now she can coast along making garbage and any negative feedback can be brushed away with "lol ur mad im woke"

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Mokotow posted:

Yep, ask Vargo about that - had him run off a glacier looking for a yeti or some dumb poo poo like that

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
There's a lot to savor in todays disaster but I think the real extra special touch is being too lazy to give Mark his copy-paste beard in panel 1. I guess Shapeshifto the Security Guard hit him so hard he knocked it off for a second.

Worse art(AND WRITING) than Jamesallen's diabetes yeti masterpiece, worse action than Randy's Popeye. 2+ years to get over the nervous daily deadline jitters. Lets be real, Jules is quite lazy and has a fair bit of contempt for her readers and work. It's a legacy IP she can milk for.. I dunno. Low effort cash but a lock on a possible newspaper strip slot is a thing of some value. Then again how the hell would this turd dodge the culling BCN was talking about?

As much fun as it is to mock Mark Trail I wonder if it's possible to be constructive. The fix for Jules isn't complicated: triple the amount of time spent on a strip. Make what we're currently getting, remove the truly embarrassing art failures, tighten the art details and strip to strip writing a little. That's not easy no effort work though so asking too much. Just a total garbage strip that should be gracelessly retired since it hasn't had any grace for most of a century.

Then again I'm the crabby jerk who hate-reads it consistently and thinks most of the modern artists taking over legacy IPs are pretty shameless saps. :v:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 28, 2024

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mr. Squishy posted:

My heart is so soft that I feel bad for this one-shot character. Give that giantess a chance to live her dreams Archie, you jerk.

The whole strip is mostly Archie being a jerk and getting brutally owned either by general karma or just the unfathomable power of Jughead

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I imagine Vargo isn't available yet, so here's some comic strips.

Arlo and Janis

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It also must be stated that Jamesallen wasn't just insulting AOC but posting sexually harassing statements in response to a public official's tweets. Yes they were "jokes" based on her body language and hand gestures but they were still deadass inappropriate things to be putting out there.

The Most Boring Easter Arc To Date Because Holbrook Has. [sighs] Plans, I Guess.

Hjagar the Hjorrible

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mark Trail's art has gotten steadily worse and worse to the point that it's almost unreadable at times, and I say that as someone who's posting a mid-2000s webcomic that is sometimes drawn in Adobe Illustrator.

Speaking of...

Scary Go Round (December 5-7, 2005)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (May 25-27, 1925)

Out Our Way: Cowboys Revisited (May 26, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (August 10-12, 1922)

Dok's Uncomfortably Bad Timing For Antique Jokes About A Shipping Disaster (February 26, 1915)

Little Lefty (December 28 and 30, 1939 (the 29th was a repeat of 28))

Lefty's last look at the 1930s is another Marmaduke jingle.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
And he Did!

LvK fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 28, 2024

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Not with the name Count Crusinski you weren't. I'm going to make a assumption that you played a knockoff Baron Von Racheki or a Fritz Von Erich (Not the more famous sons), with the Baron being more likely as you wrestled the Crusher, and both of them wrestled for the AWA. While the Baron eventually turned good, he spent much of his career as a villain. Evil Germans, Eastern Europeans, and Russians were a common heel character, even to this as recently 2015 with Russev.

Additionally, while the Count seems to be a territory guy from the 60s-early 80s, a number of wrestlers from the late 80s-early 2000s have come clean about being beat up from years of taking moves and from addiction. Diamond Dallas Page, a former WCW champion and current yoga instructor, has helped rehab a bunch of them, and it's always met with how cheers that they're working to get better.

The Count's kayfabe at all costs mentality is incredibly toxic and has ruined lives. The Von Erich family is a great example. It's thankfully going away.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mokotow posted:

He's still posting on Twitter? Yeah he had opinions.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Man, the world of newspaper comics is a lot wilder than I thought.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

LvK posted:

And he Did!

Well

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Actually

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake The Magician

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Legend of Bill

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 25, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Oopsie

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mister Olympus posted:

If you go back a few years the entire event was chronicled in these very threads
I blogged about the twitter side of it.

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics
Is this arsehole trying to sabotage the woman who said she sees him as a father figure, because she didn't feel obliged to marry some boring dude? :stare:

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories
Well that is not at all a reassuring outcome. :stare:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LvK posted:

And he Did!

Whatever happened to And He Died, anyway? Did we just run out of it?

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

*checks who finland was aligned with in 1939*

oh dear

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kazinsal posted:

*checks who finland was aligned with in 1939*

oh dear

In 1939 we weren't really aligned with anyone, except in the sense that we were invaded by the Soviet Union (who at that time were still allied with the Nazis and happily dividing Europe up between the two of them).

After the Winter War we did form a loose alliance with Nazi Germany, not for ideological reasons, but practical ones. Times were desperate and because the Soviet Union had successfully completed their "we're allied with the Germans, whoops never mind no we're not, we're totally the good guys, please forget all about the Molotov-Von Ribbentrop Pact" turn, aid from countries now allied with them wasn't very likely and so we turned to Germany for military aid for the Continuation War.

We can reasonably say that Finland would not have remained independent without German weapons, and the German tank and dive bomber units they sent to support us also helped -- even though after the war we had to fight a separate war against them again and forcibly throw their Nazi asses out of Lapland.

We mostly stayed clear of the Nazis' bullshit, and to our credit we almost uniformly refused to hand over Jewish and other persecuted people, and there are amusing stories and images of German soldiers rolling up to the Finnish lines and doing a double take when they saw a field Synagogue, because Finland had a bunch of Jewish soldiers fighting for the country's freedom. But on a less amusing note we did yield to German pressure once to hand over eight Jewish refugees who had fled to Finland. To me that's a mark of shame. And likewise there's no defending the Finnish Waffen SS volunteers, and especially not the war crimes they were implicated in. gently caress them and everyone who thinks like them.

TL;DR: it's complicated, and it's a topic that's debated to this day in Finland. On the one hand we have the "Finland + Germany, brothers in arms" assholes who have SS skulls on their walls and take pride in Heinrich Himmler praising Finnish soldiers. Most people fall in the middle and recognize that we did what we had to, but it still sucks rear end that we did. And then we have the Junior Pioneers and former Stasi assets who hold let's just say slightly pro-soviet union views on most things.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This is one of many reasons I hate seeing that dipshit mustachioed sea monster.

How did you get Stasi assets all the way up there?

Kavak fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 28, 2024

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Very carefully.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kavak posted:

How did you get Stasi assets all the way up there?

In the spirit of Fingerpori, "all the way up there" works in two ways! Geographically and politically! Extremely high level Finnish politicians, up to and including our former president, have been implicated as Stasi assets on a list handed to Finnish security police by the West Germans in the 1990s, but we don't know for sure because the list has been declared classified until 2050. And I'm sure there's absolutely nothing to read into there.

As for geographically? Well the important geographic part is Soviet Union right next to us. A lot of our political parties were either extremely aligned with the whole "The Soviet Union is our friend and brother and guiding light" philosophy or basically under Soviet control (if you're not familiar with the concept of Finlandization, I urge you to look it up) and from there it's not a big leap to being an asset for the security apparatus of a Soviet-aligned European country. I guess in practise they participated in some kind of international friendship meetings or youth camps with Stasi agents and were either recruited or compromised that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EasyEW posted:

You remember the fourth guy in Goldie's crowd? The tall one who did too good a job at talking his mom into letting him practice baseball?

I do! I was just wondering about him actually. I assume four kids is just a bit too much for the needs of the comic. Three is kind of the ideal for dialogue and gag writing purposes I suspect.

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 17, 1962)

"The headsman is able to wipe off his axe and return to his bakery" well it's good to have a side gig.