Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Comic Strips 2024: Big Poopy Butt Man

Corto Maltese - one strip spoiler'd for a modern slur, following thread procedure.

Blueberry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

A) Mexikid remains so good
B) those chicks are both cute :argh:

FINGERPORI

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Good Listener posted:

Can't wait to see what lame stuff happens in this year's Easter Bunny storyline.

I'm just thankful that there's a pause from the fascist rabbit ethnostate plot.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Alhazred posted:

I'm just thankful that there's a pause from the fascist rabbit ethnostate plot.
[the monkey's paw gets up on two digits, walks over to a Tech Deck, flips it testingly with a step, hops on and starts warming up tricks]

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(4/25/1994)

(4/26/1994)

Ziggy

(10/18/1971)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Forum accident posted:

Frank and Ernest

that bee is a sex maniac

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Mexikid Stories is great and this one is an all-time banger. 10 panels and 8 great jokes as well as the cutting nostalgic insights. :haw:

quote:

Bonus: Since ye olde Garfield came up...

Garfield is so ridiculously cute in certain styles. :3: Much better than the modern lanky giant-footed mascot.

readingatwork posted:

Big Nate

drat, everybody's friends suck this week.

I know they're just kids but oof. I wonder what the author wants out of this storyline. It'd be nice if Nate and Daphne saw through this really terrible meddling and stayed together?

Tiggum posted:

Are we supposed to agree with Mark? Because somehow this comic is making me side with the rich business-owner. :psyduck:

Jules is so lazy she always assumes sympathy to her view points. Why explain them when she's always right?

Also I really hate the standard design of the Mark Trail antagonist as a whiny manchild techbro. Zero chance Tad or Ted here will do anything remotely threatening or clever. Sure, he's hiding what the land is really for but he's likely to scream that at Mark to go for a petulant one-upping in the next strip. :v:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (March 26, 1977)

Crankshaft

Wasn't Grandma Johnson the one Ed got to know in-depth? Did he only do that to make the betrayal that much more meaningful?

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner is timg'd today, and we'll go into why in just a sec. (March 2-4, 1936)

To summarize, Abner is 19, Fantasia Brown is 15, and her dad thinks she should've been married by..I dunno, 12? The whole child bride thing was one of those deeply uncomfortable hillbilly tropes of the period that went back and forth in treatment between "rib-tickling" and "a national shame", and needless to say, age of consent shenanigans in general really, really haven't aged well. Am I reading way off the page, or does the subtext set off alarm bells in anyone else?

Thimble Theater (October 26, 1940)

Out Our Way (April 24-26, 1944)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Arlo and Janis

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Saoshyant posted:

Wallace the Brave

*RAD is the youth word for "radical!"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

readingatwork posted:

*RAD is the youth word for "radical!"

This old dude gets it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/22/04

Brenda Starr 11/16/52

Smokey Stover 7/3/60

Spoilered for a variety of stereotypical depictions.

Everyday Movies 5/13/37

"What I like about it, it's alluring and yet you can wear it to the office."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/16/43

Nice zoot suit, dude.

Closer Than We Think! 7/3/60

The references are to the Bridge Apartments in New York and the Will Rogers Archway in Oklahoma, now a McDonald's.

Bonus Feature! In the year 2000...

Selachian fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 23, 2024

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 20, 1962)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I could swear we've seen the crazy little man who teaches himself hypnosis in an asylum storyline before, maybe even in Scarlet itself.

Val and Stephan are gonna get this dude so bad. They've both got good claim to it... maybe they can hold the hilt of the singing sword together as they execute him. :allears:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Comic Strips 2024: *sigh* We Can't All Be Lunker

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

For a little while classic Garfield was being posted in one of these threads. There really was a difference. We weren't all idiots when we were kids!

Some of us were

Comic Strips 2024: 0 awards horse or otherwise

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

ARRRRGHHHH STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, April 1-4, 1985
Spring 1985: Hello, Goodbye

Note 20:

quote:

Suddenly, Thorn is back in The Lantern, but instead of continuing the story from before, it starts over with Thorn meeting Fone Bone all over again. I can explain some of this, but not all - I have no recollection of whose idea it was for me to come back, but here I was. The first few strips of this quarter are new versions I was working on, starting the story over so I could show it to the newspaper syndicates. The syndicates were companies that represented artists and their comic strip features. And newspapers only carried comic strips that were represented by these syndicates. These companies were the only game in town. There were a couple of syndicates that appeared very interested in my work, but they wanted to see more. I thought I could finesse the strips and characters into a comfortable syndicate friendly feature, but it was not meant to be. I worked for years creating months worth of new versions; but ultimately the editors there wanted to mold the strip into something I didn't want or even understand. It was time to move on. I knew the characters could grow and do more, but only if I gave up on the dream of a newspaper comic strip. Not that I was giving up on Fone Bone and Thorn, but the future, for me and characters, was now unknown.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Hey, hey! Save that for the title block of the Sunday strip, you two!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Selachian posted:

Love the casual "of course everyone will be traveling in helicopters".

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Team Evans always sides with Luann and her family, so this just seems like they're writing Toni as this boring shrew for wanting to consider and plan for all aspects of parenthood rather than just meekly accepting her role and jumping into bed with Brad. And I'm almost certain the usual suspects over at the CK comments section are roasting her for being *checks notes* a responsible adult who doesn't exactly jump at the gun to become a parent.

Doomykins posted:

Jules is so lazy she always assumes sympathy to her view points. Why explain them when she's always right?

Also I really hate the standard design of the Mark Trail antagonist as a whiny manchild techbro. Zero chance Tad or Ted here will do anything remotely threatening or clever. Sure, he's hiding what the land is really for but he's likely to scream that at Mark to go for a petulant one-upping in the next strip. :v:

Seriously, why not make the villain some white redneck who thinks they're a Big Game Hunter, except he shoots down wild horses and justifies it by saying they're an invasive species? You can present Mark's actions as righteous, have some danger in the plot, and Mark gets to pull those crazy stunts of his that the cops inexplicably forget about. Just have a bit of ambition in writing a comic, Jules!

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Wasn't Grandma Johnson the one Ed got to know in-depth? Did he only do that to make the betrayal that much more meaningful?

Yeah, he was sexually harassing her for like a week or two, and then inexplicably had a strip that implied they hosed. Batiuk's thinking process on why we're supposed to find Crankshaft's antics funny is utterly alien.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The powerful Katrinka!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

For a little while classic Garfield was being posted in one of these threads. There really was a difference. We weren't all idiots when we were kids!

Oh, I assure you, all kids are idiots.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Team Evans always sides with Luann and her family, so this just seems like they're writing Toni as this boring shrew for wanting to consider and plan for all aspects of parenthood rather than just meekly accepting her role and jumping into bed with Brad. And I'm almost certain the usual suspects over at the CK comments section are roasting her for being *checks notes* a responsible adult who doesn't exactly jump at the gun to become a parent.

You have that right. Lots of comments in there this week along the lines of "Just have the kids and the rest will figure itself out! If you wait until you're 'ready' you'll never have kids!" Yes, there were people thinking she was being too uptight when she mentioned life insurance. When both parents have potentially life threatening jobs. Not looking in the GC comments this week is a form of self care.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Not looking in the GC comments this week is a form of self care.

comment sections are literally hell

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Powered Descent posted:

Bizarro

:stonk:

Flash Gordon

:stare:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Selachian posted:

"The Korean Situation" - Yeah, about that...

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Steve Kelley posted:

Oh, I assure you, all kids are idiots.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Did you get my PM?

Julet Esqu posted:

You have that right. Lots of comments in there this week along the lines of "Just have the kids and the rest will figure itself out! If you wait until you're 'ready' you'll never have kids!" Yes, there were people thinking she was being too uptight when she mentioned life insurance. When both parents have potentially life threatening jobs. Not looking in the GC comments this week is a form of self care.
You claim you've been avoiding GoComics comments for a week, and it just so happens Mordock999 hasn't posted in a week. Hmmmm... :raise:

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

:lol:

Apartment 3-G

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Irrationally angry right now.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The principle has no doubt been through many a freaky friday in his time

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

rannum posted:

The principle has no doubt been through many a freaky friday in his time

"First time meeting the Friendship Goblin, kids?'

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

This looks like three different pictures.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

This Would Be Way Less Weird If It Wasn't A Kids Summer Camp

Honestly, Sure, Give Them A Seat For Life]

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Not an original concept, but as a parent, I can say that:

If you plan to wait to have children until you have reached some external milestone of 'ready,' you will never have children.

also:

Green Intern posted:

The powerful Katrinka!

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 24, 2024