Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

We start off Bad Machinery with the very end of The Case of The Modern Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Are the OG Flash Gordon comics collected anywhere? I'm guessing there's nothing equivalent to the Fantagraphic Valients, but surely there's something?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: In the Beginning

Hell yeah Modesty Blaise! Starting the new year off right!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: In the Beginning

Something I feel that should be mentioned (though I'm sure it may have been mentioned before) - Young Modesty going around with a nail-stiletto was something Peter O'Donnell witnessed a young girl going around with during his stint in WWII. It stuck with him, and effectively inspired him to create the character (going from half-remembered interviews from the collections).

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery
Well, as promised:

Pancho Jueves posted:

Luann

Luann is arguably the worst part of Luann. Once about high schoolers, now about college students who act like high schoolers, with only one walking pose to be shared among all characters.

I think it's more accurate to say it was once about middle schoolers, then it was about high schoolers who acted like middle schoolers, and now it's about college students who act like, at best, startlingly immature high schoolers. The art criticism is extremely on point!

quote:

Take It From The Tinkersons

One of the more divisive strips in the rotation, readers will either love it for its gags or hate it for its artwork.

Hey, I hate it for its artwork and its weirdly stilted language. Does occasionally land a good joke though.

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

Okay, this gimmick could be a lot of fun.

Said "oh hell yeah" out loud when I saw this.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Always wanted to ask - why is the Fastrack lady so pale? Is she undead? Goth? Anthropomorphic a’la Kevin and Kell?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Deathany(*from "On The Fastrack") is just goth. She also supposedly has a bunch of tattoos and piercings(that are never drawn).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I haven't been in these threads for the past few years but here's something interesting I found (also looked the name of this up in SA's search just to check to see if it got posted before and it seemingly hasn't in these threads): The Fantastic Funnies, a tv special from 1980 (produced by the people who made the Peanuts specials) going over various popular comic strips of the time, including the very first animated appearance of Garfield; features a bunch of comics you probably wouldn't have heard of if it weren't for these threads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnZodlc0UyE

This swings violently back and forth between fun (some of the animated bits, the Johnny Fever sketch), meh (other animated bits), interesting (the cartoonist interviews), and extremely cringe-inducing (the songs, particularly the "four little boxes" one at the end).

Thanks for posting it!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

It’s 2024! Welcome back to Steeple, let’s visit Tredregyn one last time! Much has changed in the last three months, as you will discover… but clearly, not Bob Warren’s taste in trousers.

My Patreon subscribers ($3/mo tiers and up) can read this story in its entirety, right now.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Haifisch posted:

Deathany(*from "On The Fastrack") is just goth. She also supposedly has a bunch of tattoos and piercings(that are never drawn).

She has tattoos, they’re just white on white. (May not be canon.)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I am absolutely here for this Flash Gordon thing. If it'd started with shenanigans like this I'd've been worried, but with a solid month of very good comic under its belt, it's earned some trust.

We Are Reproducing is an award-winning series by author and essayist Uchida Shungicu. Starting in 1993 (and in some ways very much a product of its time) this is a frank, sex-positive, feminist look at pregnancy, childbirth, child rearing, and single motherhood.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 1/28-30/52

Archie 2/21-23/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 10/21-23/76

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Do not show posts to babby, he doesn't even have proper object permanence yet

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Do not show posts to babby, he doesn't even have proper object permanence yet

That's good, it won't remember posts

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Selachian posted:

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 10/21-23/76

This is so good.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Happy new year, new thread!

Scary Go Round (December 7-9, 2004)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Happy new year!

Crabgrass

Big Nate

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

Yesssssss :unsmigghh:

Also, on the recommendation of the previous thread, I looked into Schkade's Lavender Jack. It's fantastic, thanks goons!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

readingatwork posted:

Happy new year!

Crabgrass

Big Nate

Big Nate bringing the big laughs from me.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

Are the OG Flash Gordon comics collected anywhere? I'm guessing there's nothing equivalent to the Fantagraphic Valients, but surely there's something?
I recall we had a gigantic book of them when I was a kid. Didn't really appreciate it at the time, though. I think it was pretty old, though.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
One last hurrah for The Demons of Baseball in the 2023 thread!

Some Guy TT posted:

As promised, one last finale. I'd hoped to do finish this before the year ended, but Pancho was gracious enough to leave the thread open long enough that I could close out The Demons of Baseball with some fairly gigantic posts. Apologies if the tension of how I space these is key to your enjoyment. Only one way to find out!

The Demons of Baseball

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Happy New Year thread.

Rose is Rose is the funny pages equivalent of "Live Laugh Love" wall art, but there was some discussion late in the 2023 thread of of people wanting to see it again. So I'm posting it until communal favor turns against it once again (I am guessing as soon as The Baby shows up.)

As always: Dustin Burn in Hell.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

JethroMcB posted:

Happy New Year thread.

Rose is Rose is the funny pages equivalent of "Live Laugh Love" wall art, but there was some discussion late in the 2023 thread of of people wanting to see it again.

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

OWNSOWNSOWNSFUCKINGOWNS

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

I've recently started posting Alley Oop which is a comedy strip about a time-traveling caveman and scientist, I like it - it's got Jay Ward/Rocky and Bullwinkle vibes but thread response is still uncertain.

Curtis

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Before we get too far from page 1, you may want to read these posts that readingatwork was kind enough to put together to explain what's going on in Blind Alley. It's a bit hard to understand without them.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Happy Public Domain Day 2024!

In the US, our honor year is split between 1923 for audio recordings and 1928 for everything else. The liberation of early Mickey Mouse is sucking up all the oxygen in the so-called legitimate media, but for our purposes, The Daily Cartoonist has a quick summary of all the strips that are newly available for repurposing, so I get to be lazier than usual this year! Hooray! (Don't read the comments, though. Let's just say Tom Batiuk isn't the only one who sees the world through collectibles.)

There are a number of long-runners that started in 1927, but the one that really caught my eye is a feature from a cartoonist we should be familiar with by now that I didn't even know had newspaper gig: Ellison Hoover's The Outline of Oscar. So you see? He really was auditioning in those Life pieces.

Anyway, on to the night shift.

Our Boarding House (Gene Ahern) is slowly but surely expanding the supporting cast. Did you know the Major had a brother? And if anything, he's a bigger mooch than the Major. A reverse Mycroft Holmes. (January 23-25, 1925)

Last year was the tenth anniversary of my decision to do Out Our Way, a year where we managed to clear the first twenty years. That's a lot of distance to cover, so it's a reasonable time to revisit one of the recurring early-days themes: Out Our Way: The School Ma'am Saga (January 23, 1925; pops up whenever something that fits the theme shows up next to OBH in the paper.)

One of my favorite discoveries last year was that the syndication of the Fontaine Fox feature I've been labeling Toonerville Folks for convenience (because it didn't get that name until much later) goes back a lot further than a lot of writers thought it did. Behold, the new candidate for "source of the Nile".

(June 23, 24, and 26, 1911)

Anyway, we're up to 1922 on the main timeline (April 6-8, to be exact).

For the cursive impaired:
PATHETIC FIGURES: The back yard gardener who is just starting away with the 3rd load of top soil from the vacant lot when the owner of the property appears.

Meanwhile, we've made it to January 22, 1915 for Dok's Dippy Duck (Dok Hager), and I can't sum the current state of affairs better than Mister Olympus did.

Mister Olympus posted:

also that wacky seattle duck being so flippant about the slow demise of a generation's youth is really incredible

With that in mind, please enjoy tonight's installment of Dok's Dippy Death Cab. (spoilered for regrettable art choices applied to a presumably-African background character).

In the time we've been following Little Lefty (Maurice del Bourgo (d/b/a "del")), it's gone to some unique places, but in recent weeks it's kind of gone off the deep end. And that's because we were just informed that our US-Communist-Party-sponsored Depression-era kid gang strip is about a sea serpent now.

Oh, don't sweat it..at least not yet. The strip is still called Little Lefty. Little Lefty is, in fact, still in it. But the focus has shifted to the adventures of a proto-woke Loch Ness Monster who, as we join him tonight, is going into the movies. And we're here to watch it happen, one strip at a time. (September 7-9, 1939)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 2, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

the voice of our generation

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pancho Jueves posted:

One last hurrah for The Demons of Baseball in the 2023 thread!

I am now getting into pages that I've decided should not be rushed after all, so go ahead and close the old thread. Thanks for hearing me out on that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Haifisch posted:

She is a goth character written by someone who doesn't really know the culture.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

https://twitter.com/JonLamArt/status/1741545927435784424

so the midjourney artist list leaked as part of court discovery (i don't actually know what lawsuit its from!)

check this out

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Training AI on Computoon should lead to some genuinely fascinating and meta results

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

EasyEW posted:

Our Boarding House (Gene Ahern) is slowly but surely expanding the supporting cast. Did you know the Major had a brother? And if anything, he's a bigger mooch than the Major. A reverse Mycroft Holmes. (January 23-25, 1925)

...Your what, Bert?

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

maybeadracula posted:

Training AI on Computoon should lead to some genuinely fascinating and meta results

I'm more worried about Brooke McEldowney. Imagine the gamacious maw of the hellbeast an AI trained on that would unleash

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

thisusedyet posted:

I'm more worried about Brooke McEldowney. Imagine the gamacious maw of the hellbeast an AI trained on that would unleash
The sexiest vore beast who knows gently caress and all about computers just gave birth to twin girls and named them Delete and Keyboard Kid.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

was looking for something in the `22 thread and oh no, this poster had the curse of prophecy

I AM GRANDO posted:

Crankshaft will slowly get bleaker as the Funky characters filter in and take over, like how Outland shifted back into being Bloom County after eight months.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

riderchop posted:

https://twitter.com/JonLamArt/status/1741545927435784424

so the midjourney artist list leaked as part of court discovery (i don't actually know what lawsuit its from!)

check this out

J.R. Williams is on that list.

Did I feed an AI a diet of boyzendorgz? :tinfoil:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Yes, that is in fact how the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade works.

I don't actually hate Macanudo, but it's definitely lower on my list than a lot of other comics.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

This is a bit topical once again. One of our right wing ministers was complaining about "the union mob" a few days before Christmas, which is yet another example of them aping poo poo from their American right wing idols. Unions are just a fact of life in Finland and practically everyone joins a national union the moment they get a job, and often even before then, because most unions for professionals offer student memberships. As a result our workers actually enjoy pretty good benefits and security, which our right wing government is trying to erode as best they can right now.

And "bonus prison pay" is a take on our "bonus vacation pay", which is literally called "the returning from vacation money" in Finland, and is paid every year after your yearly vacations. It used to be a more meaningful thing, because it was basically used as a bribe to convince workers to actually come back to work at their old jobs after their vacations instead of just loving off somewhere else. These days it's just more of a symbolic thing, but again: we have strong unions and a long tradition of strong unions, so we sure as gently caress ain't giving up benefits people fought for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 15, 1961)