Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Oh yes, forgot to mention that while spending time with family over the weekend my Aunt pulled out her phone to show me...a D*lb*rt comic she had taken a photo of probably three years ago (given that all the characters were wearing masks). I was already avoiding talking politics with anybody there so I didn't ask her if she had noticed that comic had quietly gone away.

Murdstone posted:

Wiley's far from the worst artist and I still even like him in general (mostly leftover goodwill from when I really enjoyed the strip), but if goth kid annoys you, it's not the strip for you. She is not going away often, and when she does it won't be long. Those within this thread who claimed otherwise sit on a throne of lies.

Disappointing, but I will never break my commitment to the :justpost: Lifestyle.

Drama!

FoxTrot Classix

Non Sequitur

Old Slobs Know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 5/19/61

I think this is part of the Overwatch lore.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 5/19/61

Leaving aside the animal abuse, I like the mention of going to Venus. I always forget how recently it still was that we came to have our current knowledge of the planets' basic characteristics.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories, spoilered for drawings of drawings of boobs.

"In the end, everything was finally as God intended." :allears:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

:allears:

Dill is still the best comic strip kid.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/29/43

Hey! Close your parentheses in that last panel, Cindy. :mad:

Medenmath posted:

Leaving aside the animal abuse, I like the mention of going to Venus. I always forget how recently it still was that we came to have our current knowledge of the planets' basic characteristics.

Venus missions are occasionally still proposed, either orbital only or with a dip into its upper atmosphere (which is a lot more hospitable to astronauts than its surface). Have a mission idea along those lines that was cooked up by Langley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0az7DEwG68A&t=31s

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

I bet next it'll go for vespene gas deposits. :newlol:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
ugh that kid from Wiley's strip literally feels like 90% of Holbrook sassy female characters. also reminds me uncomfortably of a kid who was at my convention a month ago who kept interrupting the guest speakers with her commentary and questions. look kid, no one came here to listen to you ask about wElL i ReAd OnLiNe poo poo!

in Heart, is that a birthmark or a tattoo on what i presume is a kid or teenager's face?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

:same:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

I bet next it'll go for vespene gas deposits. :newlol:

Huh, I really thought we'd have simultaneous plots going while Flash and Fria were away, but this is fine too.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Uhhhhhh...

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Blind Alley is getting Evangelion

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
This'd really be something if it wasn't going to be forgotten about in two strips like every development in Blind Alley. :v:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

WOW what an exciting story and WOWEE what a great conclusion!!!!

:confused::confused::confused:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Murdstone posted:

I used to really enjoy NS but I stopped reading it regularly when it became too much about this kid. I was given a NS cartoon a day calendar for Christmas a year or two ago and if it's any indication goth kid takes up about 75% of the strips now. The rest are 'POLITICS/LAWYERS/ADVERTISERS/ETC., AMIRITE!' for the most part. Every once in a while it's just a good gag, but they are fewer and further between than they used to be.

Wiley's far from the worst artist and I still even like him in general (mostly leftover goodwill from when I really enjoyed the strip), but if goth kid annoys you, it's not the strip for you. She is not going away often, and when she does it won't be long. Those within this thread who claimed otherwise sit on a throne of lies.
The goth girl wasn't as prominent back in the day, because there were more "POLITICS/LAWYERS/ADVERTISERS, AMIRITE!" stuff, but Wiley got dropped from a LOT of newspapers for trying to fit a "gently caress Trump" into a Sunday strip. She was still there back in the days I used to read it regularly (loving early 2000s gah I'm old) but her dad and sister showed up more and there were more lame politics / lawyers jokes back then.

If you can find a collection from way back, Wiley ran "Homer" on Sundays, which was a guy living through different lives and trying to find the love of this life in that iteration. After he died he would go to Heaven, talk to a very Christian idea of God, and get sent back for another try at another time. It was really good IMO, but because it was Sunday only there's just less of it and I don't know if it would be in a separate collection.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 7, 2024

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (April 4, 1936)

Peanuts (May 10, 1977)

Crankshaft

Come on, RIp Haywire, let us off the hook already.

Li'l Abner (June 29- July 1, 1936)

Thimble Theater (December 9, 1940)

Out Our Way (August 18-20, 1944)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (June 6-8, 2006)

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

did family cars in this period have pick-up-and-move detachable seats?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Dammit, I'm so sorry for the delay.

I like Allison's take on the X-Men. And hey, Shauna has good taste in comics! IIRC this story was first published circa the original run of Spider-Gwen.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ronya posted:

did family cars in this period have pick-up-and-move detachable seats?

I assume so, it'd be a bit strange for the guy to make it up.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Griswolds as a prestigious fee-paying grammar school vs Colm being pulled to a jobsite always seemed odd to me.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I assume so, it'd be a bit strange for the guy to make it up.

Yeah but... how did that work? Wouldn't the seat just slide forward whenever you braked?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Good :mad:

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ronya posted:

Yeah but... how did that work? Wouldn't the seat just slide forward whenever you braked?

No, you have to tip the seat to get it out.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Thank you colorist for the puddle of steaming hot dog cum

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann is still doing this

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

How does the quote go? "Please refrain from erotic speculation about our characters."

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Iron God

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(November 8, 1910)

Baron Bean(May 9, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(April 8, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(December 30, 1919)

Us Boys(May 7, 1912)

The Gumps(June 5, 1917)

Bringing up Father(February 12, 1913)

Abie the Agent()

No strip for February 24, 1914

"Cap" Stubbs(March 19, 1918)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Going Ahead and Starting the Surgery Before You’re Fully Under Comix

quote:

Surgery prep nudity

Haraiso Days

quote:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
robot buddy!!!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

WAR's pretty good at showing the severity of the operation/situation

Gets across the difference between vaguely assuming how it works vs experiencing/seeing (so to speak) how it works that she also clearly went through

Smelling your own flesh burning probably does not endear you, a person already skiddish around hospitals, to the idea of more surgeries though :v:

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
The only surgery I've had was wisdom tooth removal, and I wasn't even fully under, but I do remember having a similar experience. I can distinctly recall seeing my own blood on the doctor's hand, and half hearing them start talking faster. Afterwards, they told me "Yeah, your heart rate spiked and we were concerned about it, but you seemed fine otherwise"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Breadmaster posted:

The only surgery I've had was wisdom tooth removal, and I wasn't even fully under, but I do remember having a similar experience. I can distinctly recall seeing my own blood on the doctor's hand, and half hearing them start talking faster. Afterwards, they told me "Yeah, your heart rate spiked and we were concerned about it, but you seemed fine otherwise"

When I had LASIK surgery, I smelled what reminded me of burning hair. I quickly put two and two together (corneas and hair are both made of keratin). Since they had me whacked out on valium, it was more amusing than anything. I remarked "I think I smell burning eyeball." The nurse said "oh, the machine just makes a burning smell..." but the doctor cut her off "we tell people that to make them calm but since you guessed it, yeah it's eyeball."

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Stultus Maximus posted:

When I had LASIK surgery, I smelled what reminded me of burning hair. I quickly put two and two together (corneas and hair are both made of keratin). Since they had me whacked out on valium, it was more amusing than anything. I remarked "I think I smell burning eyeball." The nurse said "oh, the machine just makes a burning smell..." but the doctor cut her off "we tell people that to make them calm but since you guessed it, yeah it's eyeball."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W-DtIAzWVc&t=296s

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

ronya posted:

It's probably similar to what this guy's doing with the bench seats in his vintage Impala. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO3zkyVy3hY

Anyway, you certainly wouldn't have any seatbelts getting in the way.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Giant Ethicist posted:

Going Ahead and Starting the Surgery Before You’re Fully Under Comix

Surgery prep nudity

That bottom right panel (The burning is me) is a god tier expression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU