Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Happy new year, Comic Strip Thread! Let's make it a good one!

Luann

Gil Thorp has not yet updated for the new year!

Home Free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: In the Beginning

Hell yeah Modesty Blaise! Starting the new year off right!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

I see Bernice's resolution to be less of a self-righteous judgmental little poo poo is going poorly.

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

Man I don’t remember Aleta looking preggers.

Yeah, Foster cheated. She's looked slim as ever in all the strips leading up to the big faint.

Luan

Shut the gently caress up, Bernice. God, how does this broad not get punched in the mouth every day of her life

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Why not? Wasn't this a fishing trip for dudes to talk out their marital problems? I'd think on a trip like that you might find at least one or two dudes with marital problems.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Great news, Luann! Bernice is not your friend! Feel free to go befriend someone with any major you like secure in the knowledge that you will lose nothing!

Gil THorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Willo567 posted:

Yes he's a total jerk to Susie and he's locked Rosalyn out of the house, plus I'm probably forgetting some stuff, but the way I've seen some people react on this forum to the comic he may as well have fed Susie her parents.

Speaking as a person who frequently wishes violence on the characters in the comics I post, we like to be dramatic in here.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

LET HER FIND HER OWN.

Yeesh, she may be an rear end in a top hat about it, but the woman can not possibly be any more clear about what she wants.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Family Circus looks weird today.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Bats again.

Bats are an important part of the ecosystem and are having a rough time due to habitat loss and human fear and are actually pretty cool little dudes, but it's cool Jules. Keep telling us about how they all have rabies and are just out hunting for unsuspecting humans to infect.

(Yeah, they can carry rabies, so bat safety is important, especially if they're rolling around on the ground in the daytime like this one was, but this is the second character to TOTALLY GET RABIES FROM A BAT in the last couple of days (strip time) and it's a bit weird and alarmist.)

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

It might take him a few years, but when Mozz comes he comes hard.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mercury Hat posted:

Yeah, the average person isn't likely to encounter a bat unless A: it's out in daylight like this which would mean it's ill or B: there's an established colony in your house and one gets through to your living space. The latter is a big risk because bat bites are so small, you can't always tell if one's bitten you or another person while asleep. It's not always a "get rabies vaccines immediately" problem, but you should consult with a doctor if you come in contact with one (or any unexpected wildlife encounter, really).

Bats do have a higher risk of carrying rabies than some other animals in the United States, even if the inverse (most bats aren't rabid) is also true. https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/animals/bats/index.html

If this story beat where a man finds a bat in the daylight and gets bit was the first time we'd heard about bats in a good long while I'd have no beef with it. It's good to know not to mess around with bats. But we just came back from the hospital where a man, admittedly while being a dumbass, just got mauled by a bat colony. It's the multiple incidents in quick succession that makes it start to feel like Jules just loving hates bats. Like next week is a bat going to break into Professor Bee Sharp's house and turn him into a vampire? It's a bit much.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I like the exclamation point on the text box. Hey, guys, look who it is! Rene Belluso!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

He’s still holding the ball. Does that mean he caught it & they’re all out? So the runs will be nullified?

The ball is still in play. The Meteors are all out there just doing laps around the diamond right now.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

My friends, I don't have the skills to shop drunk Aldo Kelrast into that car, but I know somebody in here does. Please and thank you.

Beautiful

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I thank you for your service

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Just eat the goddam muffin, Ed.

I assure you, Ed, it will have at least as much sugar and fat as any other muffin, if not more.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Basically the opposite advice that any bat or wildlife expert gives on what to do if you find a sick bat. Cool educational strip, Jules!

Luann

Ah, I see. The week of Bernice being an rear end in a top hat was so that when Gunther inevitably returned to stink up the place again the emotion we'd feel was relief.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Toasted PB&J rules and it's totally worth how messy it is to eat. Makes me sad I'm allergic to peanuts now.

EasyEW posted:

Mousetrapped

Weakheart was Dinky Doodle's dog in another Walter Lantz series for the Bray Studio. The name was a rib on Strongheart (born Etzel von Oeringen), a German shepherd film star who preceded Rin Tin Tin by a few years.

I feel like just yelling "NO REALLY THIS IS TOTALLY STEAMBOAT WILLIE MICKEY AND NOT NORMAL MICKEY" without any other signifiers to differentiate him might not be enough to keep it in the public domain, but what do I know? I'm not a copyright lawyer.

Luann

I guess we're supposed to be disappointed that she might go back to doing a thing she enjoys and makes money from, but gave up to please her wet fart of a boyfriend who isn't even there right now.

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

With a name like Azura, I bet you would have expected her to be wearing blue. Nope.

I enjoy the fashion in this strip

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft takes a turn.

Feels like something's missing here.

Kids today. Such selfish little shits. Not like previous generations at all.

Luann

Straight up living her whole life to fulfill his wants and likes at the expense of her own and we're supposed to be like, "Aww! True love! I hope she doesn't backslide into doing things she likes, too!"

Gil Thorp

Nice

Home Free

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Ugh no no no gently caress you Zits Dad.

Then again I enjoy timing myself with how fast I can get in and out of Costco. I need X, Y, Z, and some Q. I know usually where they are. Costco is not a 2-3 hour trip of exploring every aisle.

I used to want to get out of Costco ASAP when I was dragged along with my folks, but now I too am a Plugger and gotta go up and down all the aisles, just in case.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

I don't know, maybe you should keep reading and then you'll find out.

If you ever feel like we get to hyper-critical about some of the hate reads in this thread, remember that the Go Comics readers are far, far, worse about theirs. Damning us with faint praise, I know.

The username bummed me out, but then I thought, "Yeah, he probably does shout his befuddlement to the world in general every time a plot development happens in a movie."

Home Free

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

:bubblewoop::bubblewoop: OLD MAN MOZZ'S REIGN OF TERROR HAS ENDED!! HAPPY FREEDOM DAY, THREAD!! :bubblewoop::bubblewoop:

Luann

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rADdKqPNdaM

This joke is essentially a variation of Marigold's "UNICORN!" bit, so I'm not saying there was any intentional ripping off. I just like the Kids in the Hall sketch.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

You loving bootlicker, you don't get to complain about burnout when you spend all your time excusing, denying, enabling, and enforcing your boss's outright abuse.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Oh poo poo

Home Free

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

She made herself boring because Gunther was always whining whenever she wanted to do anything besides sit and watch TV. Now that she's sitting and watching TV he's whining about that. And somehow it's her fault.

Gil Thorp

I don't think the guy getting punched yesterday was Coach Kaz, but a different coach we don't know yet. (Kaz has earrings.) The guy who punched him is one of his players who was pissed off he didn't get enough play time.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

The hell is that raccoon doing

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I have enjoyed this Crabgrass friendship litigation story

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Samovar posted:

Hold the phone, why is Arn not heir?

He wanted to go gently caress around on the beach with his friends and all the courtiers following him around were cramping his style, so he gave the throne to the baby. He still has Thule as a backup throne.

Mercury Hat posted:

It's hilarious that she's been getting paid for this snooping and meddling by working as that guy's model the whole time.

And even more hilarious that he's known the whole time that she's there to snoop and meddle but he's like, "She's got really good legs though."

Luann

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slylock Fox been getting some kickass art submissions lately

Luann

No, you guys, you see?? Gunther is the one who is the bestest boyfriendiest boyfriend ever and Bets is the one who can't live without her horrible addiction to liking things she likes! See????*

YOU SEE GIRLS WITH THEIR OWN JOBS AND INTERESTS OUTSIDE OF YOU ARE A WASTE OF TIME SEE??????

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Readers of this thread who choose to ignore this strip are probably the happiest of all of us

*Also she's been completely disconnected from social media and doing exclusively things he likes for a while now. He's the one who's dull as dogshit

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I purchased and read all of that Bets N Gun story, but you cannot compel me to read whatever this is.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Wow. Ted Talks really do take just anybody.

Luann

"No one but me, Bets. I suppose I must allow you to be fun and charismatic, but you may share it with no one but me."

It's a sign of a healthy relationship when your boyfriend forever tries to hide your light under a bushel, right?

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I'M A FAN OF SAVORY BAKED GOODS :mitt:

:btroll::btroll:ME WANT MEAT. ONLY MEAT. MUFFIN MUST HAVE MEAT. NO VEGETARY. MEAT GOOD. :btroll::btroll:

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

If he thinks he's having a bad day now, wait until he gets the bill.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Video games are for boys. Cooking is for girls.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

cool

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

He should have said that when Mozz showed up.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

I would argue that being noticeably unhappy isn't the same as being "whiny," but I agree with the substance of the advice. Leave Gunther

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

someone awful. posted:

as a person with the misfortune not to have a dishwasher, this is the god drat truth though

:same:

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/7-9/43

No, Scarlet, the answer you're looking for is, "I'm no snitch."

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Aww, sad baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Slylock Fox

I have questions.

That's cute Weirdly included a tiny li'l pillow for Max. Also the bottle of UGH.

Selachian posted:

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 12/26/76

Dig that tres 1970s font in the splash panel.

Dang. You gotta be a real impressive kind of special to almost fail out of a scam school.

Luann

Wow. After all these years, Luann finally said something I can wholeheartedly agree with.

Gil Thorp

Home Free