Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 12/14/58

Yes, a "desolate desert area" and not, say, Moscow.

See also "Rods from God"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kazinsal posted:

I can hear the Queen in my head already. And I probably won't stop hearing it all day.

FLASH! AAAAHHHHaaahhhhhh!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

I was just about to ask where the piglet was in all this and ÖH!, there he is!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

A strong start to this year.

Val found the fabled Crevasse of Laughing Gas

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

:golfclap:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

Piglet is the greatest straight man in the comics, I hope he lives to a ripe old age

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hostile V posted:

Yeah a grilled PBJ is hella good because it's just a heated PBJ. You get the fun of the bread being toasted from the grill and it rubs off on the jelly and peanut butter and makes 'em sweeter and softer. Good as hell.

:buddy: toasted pb&j is very good

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

:siren: a new Overboard animal just dropped :siren:

The author has no knowledge of sea creatures, so the animal is horrifying and endearing.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

LvK posted:

Why does the whale have a foreskin?

Thanks for going down that road first

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

thisusedyet posted:

How would I injure myself using this poo poo?

Excellent av / post combo

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

rannum posted:

Mr Boomer might consistently be my favorite teacher in this thread

Mr. Boomer is a great supporting character

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

But who

the gently caress

is

Brad?

Fucken lolllll

Brad was the pseudo vegan milf hunter

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Lottie vs. a Goon: flawless victory.

Lottie is just amazing

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Bardiche Hotel

And that’s the end of Bardiche Hotel! As I think I’ve said, this has turned into one of my top two or three Q-Rais joints, it just maintains a really particular kind of storybook mood very well throughout, while letting Q-Rais exercise some of the weird surrealism muscles from Chako. As usual, if you want to reread or share it around I’ve got the whole thing up on MangaDex: https://mangadex.org/title/b5d63cfa-ea1d-4082-9537-7392a45daa4f/bardiche-hotel

Bardiche Hotel was a great story, thanks for translating and posting it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hwurmp posted:

who's guest-writing on Dustin

Ruth Westheimer

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Excellent av/post relation

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Oh he's Rene's father I guess. Sure, why not.

Aw, drat, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the reveal!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 6/14/59

The Rocket Centipede!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

CannonFodder posted:

My cousin has one of those electric self-directed lawnmowers, and has solar panels to charge his house and electric cars. It kinda works like a Roomba, but for grass.

One thing that makes it very useful is that his house and lawn are on a rather steep incline where a walk behind mower is difficult and riding mower is not possible because it would flip over. The self-directed mower won't flip over because it's center of gravity is so low.

And photovoltaic cells existed in 1959, but radar dish style collectors just look cooler than black rectangles on the roof of the house. That said, there is a radar dish style way to generate electricity called concentrated solar power but that's more of a "power a city" system rather than "power a house" system.

Yeah, but you can use parabolic solar cookers for cooking and hot water
https://www.amazon.com/parabolic-solar-cooker/s?k=parabolic+solar+cooker

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Breadmaster posted:

I'm not well versed in the history of For Better or Worse, is there something I'm missing?
From a discussion of her book:

“Lynn:

Rod and the company’s executive director had convinced my staff that I was senile, unstable, and not interested in knowing what was going on within the business. Because of the tension, people picked at each other and treated me as though I would explode at any time. With deadlines continually nagging at me, all I could do was put my head down and get the strip done. Eventually, we discovered the source of the unease: my husband had been having an affair with the executive director, the woman he hired to run my business. It was a shock. When it was out, the affair was over. So was the marriage.

Me:

Now Lynn says Rod hired the executive director, but on page 132, Lynn says she hired her. Lynn always has continuity issues and it would have been nice if Katie had cleaned this sort of thing up. Bad Katie. Also a major divergence is the line “we discovered”, which implies the staff was the “we.” In the many prior versions of this story Lynn had told to newspapers and magazines, Rod broke the news to Lynn that he had been having a long time affair. Here is the version from the 2008 Peterborough Examiner story:

If Lynn can't remember the details of the day she'll never forget, she knows this much is true: around eight o'clock in the evening her husband of 30 years walked into the kitchen and broke her heart.

I'm leaving you, he told her.
I've been seeing another woman for some time. You know her.

It may not have come out in precisely those words or in that exact order, but the message was clear. He was going and that was that; he would make no amends for his betrayal.

Anonymous writers to my Howard Bunt Blog agree with Lynn’s assessment that Rod’s relationship with executive director Nancy Vincent was over shortly after he announced it to Lynn. My sources say Nancy filed a lawsuit for wrongful termination against Lynn, which implies to me that she played the “He’s lying. We never had an affair” card. Nancy was also married and it is not unreasonable to expect she was trying to preserve her marriage. I don’t know how it ended with Nancy or the lawsuit. What I do know is Lynn and Rod’s marriage was over and once again Entercom had one boss.”

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Julet Esqu posted:

Meanwhile Tik Tok is going wild over the Orange Peel Test*. I guess Fritzi doesn't really love Nancy. :(

* You ask your significant other to peel an orange for you (an easy task that either one of you could do no problem) and if he refuses, you are in a bad relationship

That’s so yesterday. Now you “accidentally” drip ketchup on the counter or floor and ask your SO to clean it up.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-13023191/amp/Does-relationship-pass-ketchup-test.html

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Stultus Maximus posted:

Medieval motel.

“We’ll leave the torch lit for you”
-Caravansery 6

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

EasyEW posted:

Samovar posted:

Help. I'm needing help here.

Mister Olympus posted:

especially incomprehensible today, this one

Out Our Way (November 29-December 1, 1943)

So mom is interrogating the one boy about the victory garden, her question about farmers plowing fields in the fall implies that she wonders if the victory garden needs to be hoed and spaded up for the fall. That's extra work, so her son is shoving a broom handle under the rug to tap his friend's foot and get him to say "no, that's not needed". Mom blocks the line of communication (broomstick) with a cleverly placed foot.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 8/9/59

Rain follows the plow soot catapult

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 8/16/59

I really like the huge airfoil on the rear of the rocket

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 8/23/59

The Reynolds House of Ease: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvqiFjz_Oe4

You can indeed find folding prefab aluminum homes on AliExpress and similar reliable retailers.

Bonus Ad!

The Keeley Institute promised to treat alcoholism with, among other things, injections of gold.

You can buy a nice home from Blu Homes that gets factory-built and unfolded onsite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpwOUndGEEs

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 9/6/59

This one feels like an Elon idea too.

The more things change…
https://www.asme.org/topics-resources/content/using-plasma-to-reduce-tunnelling-times-and-cost

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

EasyEW posted:

Our Boarding House (March 12-14, 1925)

“Your lawful handicap” is such a great term for a lowlife SO, it needs to be used in the GBS r/relationships thread.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

The Forths have some amazing weirdness

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Malachite_Dragon posted:

No, but the dude who used cowpox to immunize a kid against smallpox did use matter taken directly from a cowpox sore and inject it into the kid (who was sick for several days but recovered and was in fact immunized to smallpox) so I can see how they made the jump to that.

Edward Jenner was his name
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Jenner

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves :siren: Grande Finale

That's it!

I enjoyed reading and translating it, but wouldn't really call it a good comic. The storytelling was often lacking, especially the endings of most stories fell flat. There's still some charm in it and old Finnish adventure comics are a rare treat.

I'll take a small break and then it's time for Meuronen's last comic serial Esa Ahto.

Thank you so much for translating and posting Into Ilves, I always enjoyed its wackiness and I’m glad it ended on a positive note.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Endless Mike posted:

Can't believe this woman hosed another dude

Which comic are we talking about?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

I wonder if this is supposed to be an "all interior decorators are gay" joke.

Thorni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/13/04

Brenda Starr 8/18-20/52

Smokey Stover 10/11/59

I am unreasonably annoyed that Holman has arbitrarily changed the mayor's name from Dinkdipper to Zinkdipper. I guess he thought it sounded funnier with the Z.

Everyday Movies 3/30/37

"Hello, Momma! We're making history!"

CATFIGHT! 2/15/43

Closer Than We Think! 10/11/59

I think I first encountered this concept in Neuromancer, with its "Sprawl" running from Boston to Washington.
I just realized that Neuromancer is 40 years old this year.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

maltesh posted:

I think this might wind up being a callback to a story a decade or so back where some carnivores got lost in the rabbit warren, got doused in rabbit pheremones, and wound up living in that society as rabbits for the rest of their lives.

Bill Holbrook’s remake of Hellstrom’s Hive

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Gnoman posted:

This attitude towards labor was a fatal flaw for IH. In the 70s the CEO awarded himself large bonuses while demanding huge concessions in contract negotiations. The resulting strike was so expensive that the place went belly-uo a few years later.

"The company's downward financial spiral continued. For fiscal year 1980, 1981, and 1982, International Harvester incurred a combined three-year loss of $2.4 billion—the largest such three-year loss for any American company in history at the time.[33] International Harvester sold its farm equipment division to Tenneco in 1985, and changed its name in 1986 to Navistar International.[6]

Speaking to a group at Harvard Business School six months after leaving Harvester, McCardell was asked his assessment of his performance; he said that despite some regrets, "I think I rate myself superb."[6] In 1986, McCardell told UPI, "I feel very good about my years at Harvester. We had a few good years. I don’t think we made any one major mistake. In retrospect, I think we could have done some things differently. None of us was smart enough – myself included – to realize the depth of the problem."[34] Discussing his remuneration, he said he thought, in retrospect, that he was "underpaid".[34] "

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Fourth panel should be just Dale speaking: “Mrs. Azura, you’re trying to seduce me”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTGouYYCY1M

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 28, 2024

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

:golfclap:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mister Kingdom posted:

Young Clint Eastwood + George Michael

He starred in “The Good, The Bad, and The Wham!”

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

:drat:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Drimble Wedge posted:

Spectickles

I might pick this one up as well; thoughts? For some reason the art reminds of the old Herman strips a little.

Spectickles, a cartoon primarily about a married couple with, to put it mildly, communication challenges, is an amalgamation of physical traits that author Bill Abbott finds humorous: the deadpan expression and gravity-tugged flesh of Walter Matthau, the powerful presence of Ethel Merman, the glasses of his great-grand-parents and a host of other subtleties.

Ugh, the art is so bad that it completely detracts from whatever the cartoonist is trying to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

Esa Ahto

The weird proportions of Miss Spock and the other characters are bizarrely attractive, looking at them is like taking a long deep sniff of Vick’s Vapo-Rub.