Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves is soon reaching the end with the final strip coming in February.

Aww, I'll definitely miss it, though I have to admit I've been finding the post-war strips somewhat harder to keep track of than the earlier ones.

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

Okay, this gimmick could be a lot of fun.

I love this, I am so glad this comic has started off so strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Yes, that is in fact how the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade works.

I don't actually hate Macanudo, but it's definitely lower on my list than a lot of other comics.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

:lol: that is exactly what I thought the moment I saw it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

I've been digging Mousetrapped so far. It hasn't exactly rocketed out of the gate like some other new comics, but it has my attention.

Yeah, I'm enjoying it so far too.

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (May 4-6, 1922)

ON THE FAMILY TENNIS COURT: The regular early spring dispute between Dad and Willie concerning the playing condition of the court.

loving wrecked.

I have to admit that Little Lefty lost me with the sea monster, but I do kinda appreciate him as a sports commentator?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Holy poo poo, a new Phantom story? For real?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Huh, "not sure if he's evil or just unsettling on a genetic level" is how my 4th grade teacher described me.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that despite it being a college strip, I'm enjoying Thorn, and similarly I'm enjoying Mousetrapped with the caveat of it's been running for less than a month and seems to be actually building a story, so I'm giving it time. If it still feels like it's in the setup phase in a couple months I'll bitch.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

You're real free with that mermaid DNA, aren't you?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Fishylungs posted:

Sky Master of the Space Force was a comic strip Kirby and Wally Wood worked on in Kirby's pre-Marvel/early DC days about a guy named Sky Masterson and his adventures in space. There's also a collection of the B&W dailies but it appears to be out of print and the strips themselves don't appear to be online anywhere.

I heard about this Kickstarter and was considering trying to find it. I'd definitely be interested (but I also was enjoying Tom Corbett, so you know).

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

And that’s the end of Bardiche Hotel! As I think I’ve said, this has turned into one of my top two or three Q-Rais joints, it just maintains a really particular kind of storybook mood very well throughout, while letting Q-Rais exercise some of the weird surrealism muscles from Chako. As usual, if you want to reread or share it around I’ve got the whole thing up on MangaDex: https://mangadex.org/title/b5d63cfa-ea1d-4082-9537-7392a45daa4f/bardiche-hotel

I'll definitely miss it, it was delightful.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hostile V posted:

[throws this comic in the trash]

drat, Marie Kondo jokes. That's gonna age like a Boondocks strip.

Also, Hellworld has commercial whaling?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

~Coxy posted:

If you accept that there's meat companies that prey on herbivores to sell product, then it follows that there would be seafood companies that hunt whales.
Heck, it would be more moral by the rules of that world.

You're absolutely right, I don't know why that surprised me so much. This loving comic, I swear.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Jesus Christ, Mark, this is pretty basic information. For someone who writes for a nature/teen girl mag, he really kinda knows gently caress all, doesn't he?

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Jesus Christ, Keith, I was hoping we'd be done with this but I guess not.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

You know what would be a good story? The story of this Phantom taking over from his father.

Have we ever seen that? That could be interesting. Much more interesting than writing out old storylines from the '50s and going "wasn't that a thing that doesn't hold up in the modern day?" while gurning at the 4th wall.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Poil posted:

Why in the world would you look at Archie's paper? He's one of the biggest idiots in the entire school.

Let's be honest, Reggie's one of the few that gives him competition.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

I haven't commented on it because frankly I agree with everyone else, but I absolutely love this one. "Her design choices, although lovely, were confusing." is just a loving great line, although "all the world wanted to protect the baby Jesus." "By sweeping for mines?" is gold too.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Literally 100% identical to our world in every way down to historical figures and events, except everyone is an animal.

Yes there's an America, and your history books apply 100% to the hellworld's American history to the day.

Honestly, I think this is the thing that bothers me most about K&K.

Well, when it's not there being two sizes of insects, but only the big ones get rights.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Don Herold:

"I miss the days when doctors would make their own concoction of cocaine, opium, rye alcohol, battery acid, lemon juice, cannabis, soma, and menthol. I can't remember the three months I took it, but I assume that means it worked."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

No no, Nate's right on this. The cost for cards is loving absurd, I absolutely understand why my mum makes her own.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I really liked Steeple, that's a hella disappointing end. I do like his work in general, but every once in a while I feel like he just really whiffs super hard.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The_Other posted:

So here's the "cover" for the next John Allison story that starts Monday:

I'm excited, but I'll be salty as gently caress if it fizzles out too.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Challenge: everybody pick a comic that you're glad is being posted even though it doesn't get mentioned much! (We ALL have some low-key favorites.)

I'll go with Stephen Collins. Not being a :britain:, I sometimes don't know the exact events or people that the strip is referring to, but I get it often enough to know that I really like his style of humor.

That's a good shout. Scary Gary, Hagar, F Minus, Get Fuzzy, Pooch Cafe, Foxtrot I think are ones that I've been enjoying but haven't commented on much. I've appreciated lots of the old comics, but I don't think I've said much about Everyday Movies, which has been pretty delightful.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The_Other posted:

Conan: The Blood Egg Part 1

As I said before, I'm looking forward to this. Shocking, I know.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Just found out: Enrique Badía Romero, the main artist working on Modesty Blaise over the years (and whose art I really appreciated) died a few days ago. RIP.

I mean, I was surprised he was still alive when I was posting Axa, but that doesn't make it sting any less. RIP.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

EasyEW posted:

OH gently caress YOU

This is just loving sad. Absolutely pathetic.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

amigolupus posted:

How the gently caress is this still going?

We're in the Mary Worth Victory Lap portion of the story, it's pretty normal for this strip. Remember the, what, two month victory lap after the dog fighting story?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

I hate this comic and I hate that the author thinks this is what loving nerds like me want to read. How has he regressed so far from Legend of Bill? Legend of Bill isn't even good!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ok comic strip thread, cold showers for everyone.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Phantom hasn't been able to regain its momentum since that incredibly long storyline ended.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I hope the twist is that this is her quick excuse to cover her actual pill addiction, but given this is '80s Mary Worth, I know I'll only be disappointed.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

So, my first thought was "why would the fillings reappear, shouldn't they fall out when the body changes since they're not actually part of the body?" but then that made me think about how this is all supposed to work and it just makes my head hurt. The ability to radically reform the human body is such an amazing advance in medical technology. Hell, she's already made herself practically immortal with mermaid DNA; she could basically be Dr. Quintum but instead she's Sauron wanting to turn people into dinosaurs.

PainterofCrap posted:

Dr. Hormone is loving bonkers

Dictator is a jackass
Horse-dude is a taxi, wants to join Teamsters
Granddaughter's rolling with the insanity tries to hire budgie-boy to sing requests

I think I could use a :420:

It really loving is, I was thinking the same thing reading it.

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons

Yeah, fair.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The Robert E. Howard Kull story "The Shadow Kingdom" involving serpent people was published in 1929.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Hostile V posted:

So loving Creepy And Weird And Manipulative And Invasive But That's Okay It's December And This Is The Crimble Stuff

This lining up with the actual planning of Fiona and Rudy's own wedding is... interesting.

Also, future Turvy will be taller than Rudy? Is there an actual in-universe reason Rudy is still the same size he was when he was 14?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 08, 1962)

Fun fact, if you read The Song of Roland, you quickly realise that Roland sucks and it's his fault everyone dies.

My mum is very proud of her little bit of Basque heritage, and it amuses me to no end that in real life they're the ones who killed Roland (for entirely understandable reasons) and the chroniclers were just like "we'd rather claim it was the Saracens than admit it was those fuckers up in the hills."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

(I normally scroll past the ancient American comic strips because too often the old-timey ho-down gurpity-doo th' shucks n' fer gol' wal goober-berries — chee! — banter is nigh incomprehensible to me, especially when written in eye dialect. Sometimes I put the effort in but the humour is rarely worth it.)

I deeply appreciate Hippocrass's historical comics post, but I have to admit that the only ones I consistently read are Polly and her Pals and The Gumps, plus occasionally Gasoline Alley when it seems more comprehensible to someone like me who knows jack poo poo about cars. Which, thinking about it, are the ones that don't have too much eye dialect in them, plus aren't the most densely packed compared to some others.

I don't mind a bit of eye dialect, but I think I prefer it used with a bit of restraint.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Oh, same, to be clear! I think there's value in it and I'm glad that stuff gets posted. It's just 'not for me', most of the time. Occasionally I'm in the right mindset and have the time to slow down and take some of it in. It's interesting, at the very least.

I also appreciate Selachian giving me the chance to read Pogo, even if I choose not to more often than not, just because so many cartoonists I admire have named it as a favourite — to say nothing of the fact that They Might Be Giants have done a couple of low-key cover versions of Pogo songs over the years. I was always curious about it.

Hard agree to both. I have trouble with Pogo, but when I can get into it, it's so good. Also, I didn't know about those TMBG songs, that's cool!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

riderchop posted:

what's going on with the super saturated, garish neon coloring in strips lately??

This came up with the colouring on modern Prince Valiant, and it seems like it looks much better when actually seen in print, but without that it looks, well, super saturated and garish.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/3-5/43

I just want to say, Elmer's a loving piece of poo poo. I am 100% certain that this counts as extenuating circumstances for missing your train. He could even call ahead! Phones existed!

Edit: He didn't even swing back to the party to tell people what was going on!

catlord fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 19, 2024

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

It's a Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff mouth. :{

I warned you about rivers bro!!!!

I told you dog!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

you broke my grill posted:

why is Charlie Brown homeless now

The EPA's coming for his rear end and he's on the lam.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Haifisch posted:

I know it's 80s MW so everyone is always the worst forever, but this "how dare you not just accept the first warm body to come your way and then say you don't want to be single?" poo poo is extra the worst.

Yeah, ever since it started I've been thinking of that old tweet or whatever, "you say you're hungry but there's half a hotdog in the dumpster outside." And seeing as it's an '80s strip, I bet when we do finally meet the dude, he's just loving awful.

Edit: just so it's not a totally negative post, this was a great Mexikids story.

catlord fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 22, 2024

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

readingatwork posted:

Blind Alley

It's back!

Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Murdstone posted:

I don't agree with this.

This was from when he started actually trying. And as for the writing, don't forget he had Mark Trail spend like a whole year in a cave.

That's the exact one I thought of too. It's just so bad, the combination of bad art and clip art clashes so hard it gets me every time.