Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Saoshyant posted:

That's pretty forward of Val to say that. Especially for fiction written in the late 50's/early 60's about a medieval prince.

I'm really enjoying Vintage Valiant. I had had no contact whatsoever with this character and Foster's work until I started to pay attention to these threads and I thank you for that.

that was already a pretty influential view in the 1950s

in popular media this went even further - characterizing Saladin as a noble, chivalrous opponent, and instead pinpointing fellow crusaders as plot villains, dates to Sir Walter Scott; by the 1950s this is mainstream enough to shape Hollywood adaptations of The Talisman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I hate saurus.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
nu Flash Gordon's pacing is a bit confusing, where it's clear the writer is in a hurry to move the plot along and yet it still has to do the weekend special "here's what you missed" recaps in case a reader only reads the Sunday funnies

I guess that comes from adhering to a newspaper format for a de facto web audience, where one can always read yesterday's strip by clicking a link. No short term memory loss recaps every day

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
with newspaper funnies it's a given that the audience is not paying close attention to the medium, and also doesn't have ready access to past strips: hence repeated recaps every day. The larger full-colour Sunday strip summarizing the entire past week, potentially re-using the week's art, is specific to the medium

conversely, webcomics have an interested audience who will pick apart each strip before the next

I don't think Flash Gordon's pacing is bad, but I thought it remarkable that it's obviously the latter whilst leveraging the appearance of the former for nostalgic effect

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

EasyEW posted:

Something worth remembering about comic strips is that the business model still presumably prioritizes newsprint--otherwise, nobody would've batted an eye when newspaper groups decided to drop their curated comics pages for a "one size fits all" solution across all their papers--and not all papers carry all seven days of a strip. In a lot of markets the Sunday recap strips are often the only point of contact, and I appreciate how Dan's upholding the industry standard in an original way.

By contrast, my local carried only the Sunday Funky Winkerbean in the strip's last few years, which (considering the way TomBat wrote his storylines) had to look like gibberish for people who weren't following the dailies somewhere else.

I feel like the syndicates might be pursing a strategies of developing its IP portfolio for franchisable content and possible transitions to an inhouse subscription form a la webtoons, rather than merely playing intermediary between an established artist and newsprint

hence revitalizing Popeye or Nancy (or Flash Gordon) by poaching webcomic artists looking to pivot

we are not privy to the contractual deals but it wouldn't shock me if these revivals are paid essentially salary irrespective of distribution, and conversely the new artists "write for the trade" instead of for the daily format

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

enclosure of the commons for greater productivity through division of (wage) labour and specialization, what fun~

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 02, 1962)

1962, huh. I wonder whether there's been any analysis on the extent to which Foster draws on the evolution from the heroic Boy's Own interpretation of the crusades to a more Steven Runciman take

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Allison hinted at a sequel to The Great British Bump-Off last year, didn't he; so I guess he's working mainly on his print stuff for Dark Horse, set in Tackleford still

The residual attempts at online webcomickry might just be pure Patreon/promotional fodder, which doesn't necessarily need high circulation but instead a core of dedicated supporters

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I suspect Allison always intended for Shauna and Lottie to drift apart, but wasn't sure how to do it

Something too fantastical would lean against the Tacklefordian spirit that it's the very normal, true-to-life elements rather than the plot which shapes the cast

Blossom would have been great for a narrative that followed the cast to sixth form: nobody in the cast has a really wealthy background (Sonny Craven/Mildred Haversham are upper middle class at best) and her abrasive personality would lend some tension

There's an interview somewhere or other where Allison touches on the core problem however: he can't (or won't?) write any narratives that have that same cast age into R rated topics, or it will impact the marketability of the earlier stories. At the same time, writing older teens without touching on adult themes or bad decisions at all can come off really unrealistic. I guess the solution was to dredge up the SGR B-list cast and write Giant Days? I actually like Sarin's art but there are moments in it where one goes, hmm, I feel like this was written for Shauna and Lottie instead.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Doomykins posted:

Isn't their initial drifting apart caused by a literal fae pact? They trade the concept of their friendship to avert disaster as I recall.

tackleford spoilers

that's the fantastical excuse Lottie gives to Shelley Winters... it's set after THE CASE OF THE SEVERED ALLIANCE, where the reader has had two arcs of the friendship going up in flames (that Winters is not privy to). Little Claire brokered a shake-and-make-up but it's thin at best, and the fae-pact bit suggests Lottie sensing that the friendship isn't coming back after all whilst she spins a yarn for Winters

WEN-TACK suggests that they all form a band with Blossom (yeah) but this element got decanonized

HOLIDAY SURPRISE 2022 has Allison's latest take:

https://badmachinery.com/comic/munch/

quote:

When I wrote this, I had forgotten that Lottie and the rest of the mystery friends had actually been under alien mind control – in fact, the only one who wasn’t was Shauna. I wrote it as a goof on Lottie’s love of the X-Files. But if you’re reading this, I didn’t manage to write a better final line.

https://badmachinery.com/comic/youre-toying-with-me/

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
for the benefit of those following the gocomics run, mainly

e: or, because what I quoted was spoilered also. Since my earlier post wasn't :shrug:

ronya fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 27, 2024

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

I like that Feuti took the effort to draw the computer a second time.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

did family cars in this period have pick-up-and-move detachable seats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Griswolds as a prestigious fee-paying grammar school vs Colm being pulled to a jobsite always seemed odd to me.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I assume so, it'd be a bit strange for the guy to make it up.

Yeah but... how did that work? Wouldn't the seat just slide forward whenever you braked?