Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

next up, the FINAL CHAPTER of demons of baseball: Copper Ma avoids a life sentence for murdering with baseball, but his entire life is ruined forever

reached for comment he had this to say: HA HA HA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

So I guess the idea is get Cooper so mad at Grumbels he wants to leave

New levels of spite here

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

This is why I don't get on Zits case too much, there's just as many jokes at the parents expense as there are at Jeremy
Even the one where he got on his mom's case about the text vs phone stuff read more as "parents just dont get it!!" and the end of the entire week of strips was presenting Jeremy like how the Mom is presented when Jeremy doesn't get it.

Sometimes the "teens, am i right?!" jokes that fall flat read like the author heard a thing or had a thing happen to him and went "oh that'd make a good strip". Like he had his kid tell him about text etiquette and didn't get it, but it's the thing the teens do; "out of touch parents, am i right?!"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

never in a million years did i think Demons of Baseball would end with planck in a vegetative state, the director dead from a heart attack and Maggie probably needing to be committed somewhere if we're being real

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

On one hand this is really sweet (& speeding through the final match to underline the hollowness surrounding everything was a good touch) on the other hand having the giant framed funeral photo of your captain doing his iconic resting death glare in the dug out the entire game is just supremely hilarious

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

I DIDNT THINK SHE WOULD ACTUALLY BE COMMITTED TO A MENTAL HOSPITAL
OR THAT COPPER MA WOULD LITERALLY GO "i was NOT owned, do not tell anyone i was owned, i won also, we both won, do not put in the papers that i was owned"

absolutely incredible series start to finish, thank yo ufor bringing it to us

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

I'm just glad the comic ended with Copper Ma being permanently and unequivocally owned while still being completely Copper Ma about it.

I remember you said when the comic started that a lot could be said about Demons of Baseball as a lens into Korean society and geopolitics and so on of the era - I'd definitely be interested in hearing a bit about that now that the comic is done!

Also yes, agreed on this part if possible.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons

Mr Boomer might consistently be my favorite teacher in this thread

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

hate it when the god of three dimensional space changes their curtains, cutting off my telepathic communication

at least give some warning

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Shoko understood what would happen if a shooting star came to her planet...

It's probably something fine "the only thing more real than that was her Despair" don't worry about it

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Witch-Queen lives for drama and, hell, same.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

i've been both of these positions, an omnirelatable comic

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Mexikid has been such a delight but also man, makes me both nostalgic and sad about KMart

I also remember liking KMart, of the stores to be dragged along to, and getting lunch at the little place some of them had in it. But my primary memories of KMart wind up being the ones where they were like, decaying. There was this one KMart that closed like 3 separate times, it was so depressing how dirty and empty and disarrayed it was and still selling some ridiculously old merchandise (loads of casette tapes, various out of print random toys, games from like the GBA era well after the GBA was dead....)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah weren't the 2 rabbit dads how wolf boy and fox girl got into the warren.

I might be conflating the block of reruns that ran alongside the current crop, admittedly

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm at a bit of a crossroads in life, and something just recently occurred to me. I've been translating comics for this thread for a really long time. The Wandering Culinarian is the sixth one, or maybe seventh or eighth depending on whether you consider different eras of Chief/Boss Dharma to be the same comic. None of them have been commercially viable projects, which is to say, none of the companies officially translating Korean comics would take a second look at them. They're too mundane, too political, and require too much explanation for a general audience that's more interested in genre work.

What I'm debating right now is how much interest there would be in these comics for a fringe audience. Like say, this one. I actually got a PM recently from a Korean-American expressing interest in the Wandering Culinarian just based on my offhand shitposty description of it in another subforum. So naturally it occurs to me, that aside from the usual comics slash history slash internationalist nerds, there might be genuine interest in a more semiformal collection of these projects just from Koreans in diaspora who want a vision of their ancestral home that's not just...well...look, I imagine a lot of you are at least kindof familiar with the sort of Korean content that is commercially viable and can appreciate how the stuff I've been translating for the past decade differs substantially from all that in terms of tone and the impression it gives.

What I'm getting at with all this is, if I tried to manage some sort of zine style Patreon based project that remastered everything I've done (that I can find anyway), would anyone here actually be willing to donate money to keep that going? This is a risky idea, less for the money than because of the potential for legal action. Although frankly speaking I'd still consider the latter case to be a win. Goodness knows nothing else I've tried in terms of getting professional notice from Korean media companies has ever worked. It's the culture change I've always been after, but without financial stakes, I don't think this can ever go beyond the hobby level, if that makes any sense.

Simple replies to the extent of "yes I think this is a good idea" or "no I think this is a bad idea" are fine, but anything more complex than that, like involving hard numbers, I'd appreciate receiving via PM. I'm quite serious about this. And I'd like to get more serious than just, random updates when I feel like it.

I think there's always going to be some audience for it, even if it's niche.

You might have extra luck posting about this somewhere in ADTRW as well; even if some like Boss Dharma are more "this" wheel house I know the others like Demons of Baseball or Wandering Culinarian would definitely catch extra interest over there.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Echoing that I really liked Steeple but this ending just feels kinda mean, to both the cast and the people invested in it. Like seeing all the story ideas would be cute, if all those story ideas weren't immediate set ups that will by design never get pay off.

I'd kind of like it better if it just suddenly ended at the end of last chapter instead. That also would be kind of unresolved, but there's something about resolving it and then causing a million more problems and leaving it at that, definitively.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 19, 2002)

Oh I think I remember this from some binging this whole thing is the last mention of Ruth in the comic right? I remember feeling kind of sad about that, since she (& the rest of Gene's friends) was such a recurring character and just fell away.

Typical for A+J's extended cast, just dropping them in & out & then out for good without any fanfare life goes on yadda yadda, but Ruth stood out for me a little more for whatever reason.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

I think this might be my favorite page yet

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Legit kind of annoyed that there's not going to be a weird supernatural twist for once.

I think it's fun to have the twist being that there is no twist

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Janis wishing that crocodile would come back right about now

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Mexikid Stories is good every time but man feels like every panel's just a big hit here

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Gotta say the doctor giving a pep talk about how you're still so young surprised me, so used to hearing about fairly terse doctors I expected this conversation end on a more downer note (I mean, more downer than "yeah its probably a miscarriage" already was)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Almost forgot that it's Sunday. Here's FoxTrot.

really liking this andertoons guest artist

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The principle has no doubt been through many a freaky friday in his time

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Mrs Malone that's really weird thing to do with your students, don't do that

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Mexikid Stories has so far gotten a little dark but not Very Special Episode dark, so I'm more curious to see where this will go because it probably won't go where we're all worried it will.

Yeah to be clear I don't think this is going to take that kind of swerve, since that'd be a really wild tone shift to contain in about 9 panels for a fairly serious event. I'm guessing it'll just be someone going "you can't spoil a single kid" and Pedro ragging on his brother for getting chekovs diarrhea as an end gag

but drat Mrs Malone that's still really weird

CannonFodder posted:

ngl, the 64 crayon set was awesome as a kid.

it's awesome for all ages

everyone is bedazzled by the array of colors and shades and novelty crayon sharpener that barely worked!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

:frogsiren:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

FoxTrot Classix

been a real weird week in foxtrot

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

I've had to explain this to more than a few of my (boomer) peers. I finally got it when the etymology was explained (yikes!) and Romani is in so many ways a better descriptor.

I'm not surprised to see it still in use though. Some thought that the whole thing was just silly.

Even these days I still see the occasional person (typically an increasingly-older millenial) who says it--or more specifically its related "ripped off" word-- and then go "wait what?' when its explained otherwise.

Even if you're someone online it's still easy to just bypass the conversation on why it might be bad, especially if you grew up in the strangely-full-of-it 90s.

Powered Descent posted:

Bizarro

I can't find the last one thousand, nine hundred sixty-three hidden symbols.

I know at least 3 people who would see this and go "can i have it" or "this would fix me"

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Welcome to 1995, where we have to explain what a screen saver is, and what the desktop trash can is, just in case.

early computers/internet comics are always so charming

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Selachian posted:

Requiem for a Gorilla 6/24-26/43

Scarlet is just loving incredible. We simply have NO CHOICE but to DROWN THE GORILLA, possibly one of the WORST WAYS TO KILL SOMETHING

also this panel sums up The Entire Series

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Memories of writing a paper I forgot about across 3 periods & maybe a lunch for it due at 5th period.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

this isn't a value judgement on anyone-especially since the things a kid has access to *now* are very different from the 90s- but it is funny seeing posts effectively going "this was literally the exact timeline of me as a child, the nostalgia...." and "we're concerned about letting our kid use a tablet" one after another

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

She's more than aware of where the next strike will be

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I always get a chuckle at Uchida constantly mentioning her deadlines and how she can't make them due to medical issues but still needing to do them anyway.

Truly, some things are universal.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

well, ectopic pregnancies sound absolutely horrifying, thank you WAR

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Also re: WAR Husband

From what we see he's pretty involved with his Kid's life (frequently taking him out on his own, playing with him, holding him when Mom's not around, etc) and handles him well enough. We know he seems fairly chill with her openness too (I had a chuckle at a little aside in one of the comments about one of her new boyfriends she was with while traveling), and still accepted the child as his own. The only real complaints she's made towards him was being useless at night. And even that felt more exaggerated because of the stressful situation she was talking about.

I think for the most part he's just sidelined in these stories less because he's a lump and more because she understandably wants the focus to be on her & her kid, which is why the husband usually just shows up as a reaction shot, someone to bounce a set up off of, or for a joke aka what she does with all her many many many celebrity friends.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I have a distinct memory of hearing my alarm, getting up, going through my entire morning routine, realizing it was actually not the time followed by actually waking up to my actual alarm and just muttering god drat it for the next 20 minutes. betrayed by my own dreams

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The difference between Dr Sawa and Dr T is so funny

I like that even though he started trying to go to bat for Dr T he still wound up doing the surgery in his place after his sad boy retreat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

WAR's pretty good at showing the severity of the operation/situation

Gets across the difference between vaguely assuming how it works vs experiencing/seeing (so to speak) how it works that she also clearly went through

Smelling your own flesh burning probably does not endear you, a person already skiddish around hospitals, to the idea of more surgeries though :v: