Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oooh I’m looking forward to Mexikid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

readingatwork posted:

Happy new year!

Crabgrass

Big Nate

Big Nate bringing the big laughs from me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Man I don’t remember Aleta looking preggers.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

riderchop posted:

El Chavo did cry weird and high pitched! It was a running gag w/ all the characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToQrFJSAM1A

like one piece laughs but cries

i love this show but i dont know if its possible to go back if you didnt grow up watching it

that.... was .... well...yeah i guess the comic was spot on.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sigh. I mean an Oingo Boingo shirt would be hip but how could anyone suspect the writer of such songs like “I like little girls” would actually end up liking little girls.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

JethroMcB posted:

Awww no happy reunion with Little Pumpkin Seed Girl. But at least Mom made 20 pesos off the deal. (This is a good strip; I'm sorry to hear about Old Mexico's ghost problems.)

The line about the town horses killed me.

Moomin lock are a thing apparently?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqt0EMKrT7o

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

EasyEW posted:

Oof. Fixed.

Might as well used this as an excuse to add some Mafalda to the thread.

same girl same...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

EasyEW posted:

No big post tonight, but let's get to the end of Mousetrapped week one (which is going to be a Monday-Friday thing, at least in the short term).

(Randy's notes. The executive summary: Pete the Pup is a silent-era Walter Lantz character. He's being used here because Mickey's "proper" friends are still under protective custody in California for the next few years.)

For what it's worth, a writeup of this series showed up in an animation history Facebook group, and after a full week of news of multiple projects with some form of horror movie Mickey, the reaction was a deep sense of relief.

Is really that hard to creat something new instead of ripping off old garbage?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sundae posted:

The play goes to conclusion and then the umpire halts the game for the medical emergency. Sometimes players may stop on their own out of respect (aka, stop at first and not go for a double when the pitcher is dying on the mound), but the rule is that the play closes out and then everyone deals with the injury.

This apparently happens often enough that, when I went back to look for video of the game I went to in 2000 where the pitcher's career was basically ended by a skull-cracking line drive (Bryce Florie), I had to scroll through like eight other more recent ones. In every video I checked, they finished out the play first. The one for 2000 matched my memory, also; play concluded and then everyone ran to the mound.

The only real dead-ball rules aren't safety-related, but things like the infield fly rule or ground-rule double rules, interference, etc.

hitting a pigeon with a pitch

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Giant Ethicist posted:

Flash Gordon is so drat good.

We Are Reproducing

Once again, a reminder that flip-up sunglasses were very briefly kind of cool roundabout 1990. Also, a linguistic note: Japanese is one of those languages where calling someone who isn’t in your family by their “family role” is pretty common, especially with things like auntie or uncle or grannie or gramps (or, almost only ever if you’re trying to pick someone up, elder brother or elder sister), but also (as here) mom or dad. Also also, getting mad at a guy for trying to pick her up using her baby is a bit rich from someone who has drawn comics about using her baby to pick up guys.

Pit Viper currently sells them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns has not updated since Saturday on Arcamax/CK-based sources, but is apparently on Gocomics now? OK.

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Don Victorio could cut hair at boot camp. lol

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

rannum posted:

So I guess the idea is get Cooper so mad at Grumbels he wants to leave

New levels of spite here

At that level of retail he’s courting a punch on the face or being stuffed in the bailer.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

someone awful. posted:

it's "fast rack", i think they're supposed to be a data storage company (so like, server racks or whatever?)

I never noticed the missing T

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

JethroMcB posted:

Cul de Sac

Foxtrot Classic

Rose is Rose

Great character design.

Looks first year Garfield.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gods has it been two years already?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

We need an edit with just him there, his eyes closed and a clock stating 12 hours later with piss leaking out of him

I am bad at photoshop.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

someone awful. posted:

this is an extremely weird thing to want to see, actually

Look if you want crankshaft to keep going that’s on you.
The piss is just a throwback from the last funny edit of Take it from the Tinkersons.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

LvK posted:

Why does the whale have a foreskin?

Why does that dork have eyeballs?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

LvK posted:

turn on your monitor

I have been under the apparently incorrect under that “dork” meant whale penis in old whaling terms.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Whale%20Cock%20(Dork)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Doomykins posted:

"495 - Jucika And The Glass Door"

Had a coworker do this back when I drove armored cars while he was coming out of a check cashing site. Two of the ladies working inside carried him to the trunk and tossed him in because I couldn’t exit the truck. He was so embarrassed because he was flirting while walking out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Gonna have to agree with baby boy on bottom right panel.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

thisusedyet posted:

How would I injure myself using this poo poo?

Just slip on the peepee in the bathroom to at least make some money of getting hurt.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

That is literally the worst anti communism propaganda I’ve ever seen.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 19, 1961)

Prediction.
This is a death sentence on the enslaved young lad. His bravery and spirit will convince Valiant to take him on as a Page/squire.
And we all know how that shakes out.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I usually think Curtis is a boring strip and don’t bother with the non-kwanza stories but this one I found really funny because he’s describing my experience watching movies with my son.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

lol this stuff is excellent.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

Of my two cats, one will eat pretty much anything you put in front of him and do so immediately. His brother has decided he doesn't like anything poultry flavored and will spend all day grazing. So I get it.

THORN, March 5-8, 1983

Around this time, Hill Street Blues, Cagney & Lacey, and TJ Hooker were running, while Barney Miller had just ended.

Mildly amusing since Thorn is on the busty side.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Samovar posted:

Ha-ha! Child Labour!

This was incredibly common practice in the 80s and earlier for Mexican-American families and talking to my grandmother it was common for white families too in the 60s as a way to make extra money in the coastal Central Valley of CA.

But if you want to talk about truly hosed up the farmers wouldn’t halt their pesticide spraying schedule and would just douse everyone.

Ask me about how my grandma died from a rare form of cancer directly linked to strawberry pesticides used as late as the 60s.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

readingatwork posted:

So Wallace and Spud are going to the Imaginary Friend Realm to do battle with Gary and nobody thought it was worth commenting on? You all disappoint me. Do better.

One person mentioned he didn’t like it I think.
I’m all in on imagination battle time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Samovar posted:

Awww, that Mexikids.

Eesh, that Valiant.

Prediction.

Conman will worm his way in and the slave will expose him.
Val will set him free and hire him as his business manager.

No stabbing this time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

As an IT-type the number one thing to remember is these stupid loving mooks pay your paycheck so wise the gently caress up and dont be a dick to them no matter how goddamn stupid they are.
Yes, ive been called out for unplugged power and comms cables. And I'm thankful that the world has enough idiots that I can make a career out of catherding dumbfuck IT's who act all upset when they get called away from watching youtube videos to go "fix" some dumb gently caress's monitor because he didnt push in the plug all the way.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah as a computer janitor I'd rather deal with a dozen callouts for an unplugged computer than a single "real" problem where I have to trace a generic error message back through six different Microsoft services only to find out the issue is that one of them is following a different XML standard which makes its output completely incompatible with the only clue being an eight-year-old post that a Microsoft rep marked as "solved" because it was a known issue that they didn't intend to fix.

Did you turn it off and on?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Extra Untranslatable Fingerpori

Jarla has moved to the next level. No longer content with compound words, he is now using words that aren't even connected to make his puns.

In Finnish, "no thank you" is "kiitos ei" ("kiitos" being "thank you" and "ei" being "no"). As you can see, they are not one word that could have a funny alternate meaning! But if you say them close together, they sound like "kiitosei", which CAN be a compound word of "kiito" (speedy, speeding, zooming etc) + "sei" (our word for pollock).

And so we end up with a piece of pollock on a skateboard.

E:

and Atlantic Pollock is a type of fish.

Your translation explanation is perfect.

A similar example that Americans might understand is “danke schoen” sound like “donkey poo poo” to us.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If you don’t have a big German population in your area you may not have heard it used?

“Gracias”= Grassy rear end
Yes it’s in another language but people understand you just fine.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pancho Jueves posted:

No one tell Wallace's dad you can have another job and just buy a boat.

It’s not the same…

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Bruceski posted:

"Making the masa" got me good.

It’s so true lol

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Julet Esqu posted:

Someone please eat Dustin's dad

Dude, gross. I know it's the past, but you should know you take off your lab jacket at the end of the day. You don't just put your outside coat over it and wear it home. That thing is covered in blood and spit and now your wife is rubbing her face on it.

Don’t kink shame.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Antivehicular posted:

My father developed the need to have the TV on to get to sleep sometime in his late 40s, and I have no idea how my parents are still married and sharing a bedroom. I visited them in their new house for Christmas this year, staying in a guest room with a sticking/ajar door across the hall from the master bedroom, and after the first night I was tempted to go get a motel room.

I love me a white noise generator to blend out random spikes of noise but a TV can just chaotic and unpredictable.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vargo posted:

It's not just the Elvis, it's the combination of Elvis and "wife calling the bar looking for you" that makes this feel so bizarre to me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_has_left_the_building#:~:text=The%20full%20quotation%20was%3A,You%20know%20that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

amigolupus posted:

What a bizarre note to end on. The flow of the narrative seems primed to bite her in the rear end for her decision to ignore the doctor and pediatrician's orders. But then it turns out the baby was unable to sleep for a completely different reason instead? I like WaR just fine, but I can see why this bit bugs the hell out of the others ITT.

These mice experiment strips hit differently knowing that DNA Wizard isn't even researching anything anymore. She's just wasting the university's time and budget, and disrespecting her test subjects by giving them pretend-work.

Use it or loose it budget.