Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Happy New Year everyone! :toot:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 08, 1961)

Prince Valiant is a legacy adventure strip that began in 1937. Drawn for decades by the brilliant Hal Foster, it follows the many adventures of the titular prince of Thule and knight of the Round Table in a semi-historical, usually low-to-no magic Dark Ages setting. The strip is Sundays only, so I have been posting the modern strip (by Mark Schultz and Thomas Yeates) on Sundays and classic strips otherwise.

The classic scans come from the excellent Fantagraphics collections. If you like what you see, please consider buying a few of these books, as they reproduce the strip in a lovely oversized format with stunning color fidelity. Foster's artwork is spectacular and these collections are probably the first time it has been given a format it deserves since first being published in papers.

When I was a kid I had trouble getting into Prince Valiant because it had a long backstory and seemed wordy and dense, so I'm including a high level summary of the plot of the classic strips to this point to help those who haven't been following along. You can find that here.

As a shorter catch-up, Val and family have recently repulsed an attack on Aleta's Kingdom of the Misty Isles, so conveniently this thread begins right between storylines - and right at the introduction of a new character!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 15, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 22, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Yeah, Foster cheated. She's looked slim as ever in all the strips leading up to the big faint.

It mostly comes out of nowhere. There are a few hints but they only really mean anything with hindsight: a throwaway line about the new fortifications taking months to build, another about a "far more important event than war [being] imminent," and in the scene where she faints she conveniently has a big shawl around her.

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 29, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 05, 1961)

eta:

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

:f5:

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 5, 2024

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 12, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

A strong start to this year.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 19, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 26, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I don't think Foster meant that panel to suggest the kids are being sold for sexual reasons, although with slavery I'm sure that would always be a danger.

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 05, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Thanks for translating and posting Demons, it was a great read. And thanks for the post explaining your interpretation of it it too!

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 12, 1961)

edit:

Howard Beale posted:

My cat Autolycus passed away today, a nine-year-old clown prince who had baseball mitts for paws and made friends with everyone he met. He had advanced kidney disease but was a fighter; he lived three years longer than anyone thought he would. Last month before Christmas he relapsed and my wife and I turned our home into a cat hospice. His vet gave him three days and he grabbed three weeks instead, and we made those three weeks as comfortable for him as possible. He was himself right up to the end, which came mercifully quickly when it did. We love the little guy, always will, and miss him terribly, achingly, completely.

I've had a very long day involving a lot of veterinary logistics and crying, and just now checked SA.

Oh, Lupin.

It's always horrible to lose a pet. I'm sorry. :(

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 11, 2024

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 19, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 26, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 11, 2002)

I would have been about the same age as Gene, and I loved Iron Chef.

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

That’s not what I meant. I know which character is named Brad. But Brad’s preëxisting role in the characters’ lives remains incomprehensible.

This whole story has been such utter dog poo poo. Even the dialogue is clunkier than usual. Mary Worth stinks but usually not this badly.

He isn't really a character, just an obstacle for our heroic veteran cop to breeze past as he gets everything he wants without effort or having to change anything about himself.

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 02, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Comic Strips 2024: toilet paper for butt

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 09, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Selachian posted:

Flash was a polo player in the original strip. They changed him to a football player in the Sam Jones movie because to an 80s audience, polo was a prissy rich guy's sport unbefitting an action hero.

American football does kind of make more sense for an action hero, since it's practically simulated combat already. Or maybe he should have been a fencer, given that he fights with a sword a bunch.

Give me, warm! Give me, soft!

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 16, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 23, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Samovar posted:

Hold the phone, why is Arn not heir?

Well, Arn "abdicated" a few strips back. I think the idea might be that Arn would one day be king of Thule and Galan king of the Misty Isles, but also I think they may just be declaring Galan an heir.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 30, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 07, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (May 14, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

That's pretty forward of Val to say that. Especially for fiction written in the late 50's/early 60's about a medieval prince.

I'm really enjoying Vintage Valiant. I had had no contact whatsoever with this character and Foster's work until I started to pay attention to these threads and I thank you for that.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! Like a lot of people I had bounced off the strip as a kid in the 80s/90s so I'm glad I gave it a chance as an adult.

OneMoreTime posted:

I want the witch queen to never be elaborated on, but to just continuously show up everywhere looking smug as hell

I've been wondering if she's involved with Ming 2's plot somehow, but I hope not. It'll be much more fun if she's just enjoying drama she knows doesn't involve her.

Vintage Valiant (May 21, 1961)

This isn't the first time Val's acquired a slave, but I think it's the first time he's just straight up bought one. :(

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 23, 2024

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I love Q-Rais' stuff so much.

Vintage Valiant (May 28, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Samovar posted:

Eesh, that Valiant.

Yeah the combination of slave buying and ~shifty traders~ is a bit much.

CommonShore posted:

When I saw the art I thought this was his perfidious Greek friend from decades of strips ago. Slith? That guy ruled.

I thought of Slith immediately too. It's a very similar character design.

Giant Ethicist posted:

And that’s the end of Bardiche Hotel! As I think I’ve said, this has turned into one of my top two or three Q-Rais joints, it just maintains a really particular kind of storybook mood very well throughout, while letting Q-Rais exercise some of the weird surrealism muscles from Chako. As usual, if you want to reread or share it around I’ve got the whole thing up on MangaDex: https://mangadex.org/title/b5d63cfa-ea1d-4082-9537-7392a45daa4f/bardiche-hotel

Thanks so much for posting this. :)

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 04, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 11, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 18, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

The Wandering Culinarian

I'm curious to see where this goes. Thanks for translating it!

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

His sister saved one of the chickens :3:

I wouldn't have expected Shaun to be so particular about his roles.

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 25, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Vargo posted:

I love how Flash Gordon's key premise is "hey actually you can't just kill the emperor that was there a long-rear end and establish a new regime and expect everything to be hunky-dory in the meantime"

Yeah I love this aspect of the story. So often it feels like the protagonists beat the villain and everything just conveniently falls into place afterwards, so a story that starts with the old villain losing and then digs into the aftermath is refreshing.

Haifisch posted:

Why Raisins? Why?!

I was going to say "you probably don't want to go to tamale heaven, kid" but then the final panel addressed that. :hmmyes:

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

You know, being acknowledged by the UN probably doesn't mean that you have to change everything about your society overnight, but admittedly I'm not an expert on international affairs.

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 02, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

thisusedyet posted:

How are they going to tell Arn put blood on the arrow when he snipes some random poor bastard on the outskirts of camp?

They don't mention what it hit but I do like to think some random guy is off panel clutching a hole in his gut. Prince Valiant would of course recognize his son's blood, don't ask how he's just that kind of person.

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 09, 1961)

I've never played the God of War games with the young son character but I assume this what they're like.

Also how was that guy supposed to know sexual assault is frowned upon :iiam:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 16, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Tiggum posted:

It is super weird how dedicated Diana is to getting her son together with her daughter's friend.

So, in what way is Steamboat Willie actually the "basis and inspiration" for this completely unrelated story?

It's legal to use the visual designs of the oldest Disney characters now, so he has to use them, I guess, to thumb his nose at the mouse or whatever. At least this is slightly less banal than another horror thing with an evil Mickey in it.

Really this only highlights how lovely it is that it takes 95 years or whatever for things to become public domain, since by the time something is available for use it's almost entirely culturally irrelevant. Steamboat Willie is very famous, of course, but I don't think the general public actually care about it at all. It's probably been largely without economic value even to Disney for decades.

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 23, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Because there's a good chance I didn't say exactly what was going on, there was a family medical emergency that popped up roughly three weeks ago that is still ongoing and, because I've been designated a certain role in caregiving (and because I feel like I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing), it's been eating up almost the entirety of my waking hours. I'm posting what I can handle in a day, and as soon as things settle down I'll hopefully get back to my regular schedule.

That's terrible and I'm sorry to hear it. I love the old comics you post and appreciate you doing so, but please don't hesitate to take a break completely if you need to.

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 30, 1961)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

And now this character will become a lawyer entirely through night classes. Is that even possible?

A couple other people have said it already, but no, the answer is no.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Is “you lose your appetite in summer” just a Japan thing? I can’t remember hearing it before I came here, but it’s just a completely accepted bit of conventional wisdom here so I have no idea how accurate or widespread the idea is.

I'm not aware of it as specific folk wisdom here in the states, but it does kind of make sense. I feel like people tend to want heavier foods in the winter - thick soups and stews, stuff like that - which I presume have more calories.

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 06, 1961)

Finally Val sets Ohmed free.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Selachian posted:

Going to law school part-time while working full-time is certainly possible. Doubt it's very fun, but possible.

Interesting, for some reason I always assumed law was stuffier about itself and wouldn't work like this.

Of course in his other strip Holbrook had the mouse guy get a PhD without seemingly taking or teaching any classes and doing research entirely by reading books part time.

Selachian posted:

Also, how is Hippy planning to blackmail him? Will his fellow crooks care whether the Snail is genuinely legless or just faking it?

Hippy knows that it's socially inappropriate to pretend to be disabled and is threatening to cancel the Snail, clearly.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 13, 1961)

Prince Valiant, feminist. Just don't ask how he got his wife to marry him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 20, 1961)

Edit:

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

This is a strange way to describe law when the person describing it presumably means it as a positive thing.

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 7, 2024