Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I didn't know about the "UAP" thing, which didn't help that I originally read this:

fun game: imagine a Compu-Toon version of this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I don't believe the 1/6 Flash Gordon was posted:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Rene Belluso amnesia plot let's go

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Untranslatable Fingerpori

In Finnish the same word "elokuvissa" -- the plural inessive form of "elokuva", movie -- can either mean "in movies", or "at the movies", ie. "at the cinema".

maybe like "nudity in cinema"?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
also the doors were manually operated and, according to my grandpa, loving merciless to things in the path of them closing.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Hostile V posted:

Drive It Like You Invented It

I want to recognize that you made a way funnier joke introducing this panel than the panel made itself.

e: gently caress, what a miserable snipe. uhhhhhhhhhhh since I'm one of the only remaining edit makers:

I panicked, okay!?

LvK fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 10, 2024

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons

I'm not doing another Tinkersons bed-wetting edit. I think my soul needs a cooldown for that.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

riderchop posted:

Whale?????

Why does the whale have a foreskin?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Crab Dad posted:

Why does that dork have eyeballs?

turn on your monitor

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Crab Dad posted:

I have been under the apparently incorrect under that “dork” meant whale penis in old whaling terms.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Whale%20Cock%20(Dork)

Huh, no poo poo? I caught the joke but I was also under the impression that it referred to whale penis.

Pancho Jueves posted:

I know trying to make sense of Overboard's art is a fool's errand, but I can't come up with even the slightest plausible reason for drawing a right whale like that. They just don't have a ring in the slightest!

Also I didn't know that a "Right Whale" was an actual species of whale, which only made the comic marginally more confusing.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
ye gods, Vera Valiant is so drat good

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Big Nate's teachers drink because they're aware of their comment section

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

EasyEW posted:

Don Herold:

Honda Motor Company: "Hold my beer."

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I think Wallace and Phoebe are still getting collections

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

"So, ah.... is your other head still at Bruce Banner size or what?"

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Sigh. I loving DESPISE the jokes about female mantids always eating their mates. You know who else has dangerous sex? loving kingsnakes. Hognose snakes. Lots of species of spiders. Praying mantises do not always eat their mates after sex! gently caress, they will eat each other no matter what, they're predators! So will lots of other animals, it's why you separate babies from each other and house adults separate.

Genuine thank you: I never doubted the idea I had of mantis mating until you said this. Guess I can see why grown-rear end adults think you can disembowel a worm and make it into more worms.

Cowslips Warren posted:

edit: is the Charon stand-in in Olive supposed to have Vitiligo or tattoos? I'd think Vitiligo?

Vitiligo was the hip thing that all hack Tumblr artists were doing several years ago to show how diverse their portfolio (and conception of race, maaaan) was, so it's definitely vitiligo.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

the GoComics comment sections blow asschunks, but I'd like to give a shout-out to the top comment for this strip:
"Looks like Spud needs a fresh sandwich...."

edit: I haven't been invested in a John Allison comic for crazy many years, until someone started posting Bad Machinery in these threads. I got really, truly invested in "Steeple" and I'm pretty sour at this ending.

LvK fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 15, 2024

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I always think of Ballard Street's mood being... we walked in on a slice of a longer story, and all we have to go on is the moment we have. No prelude, no follow-up questions, just vibes.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
hey, do any of y'all still have the "Oh, Baby" archive still? I'm asking for an enemy.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
"Learn to recognize the church hierarchy!" is a great punchline, thanks Mexikid stories!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
1981 Nancy is low-key one of my favorite strips in the thread. It's absolutely god-awful bad, but it's still clinging to the conventions of what made a joke in the 30s, so it routinely fails to tell a joke while also vaguely appropriating the images of an actual joke. It feels like when people set up the AI to make infinite Seinfield or The Simpsons scripts from pre-existing data, except it's real people, presumably cashing in real paychecks around a senile ghost of a cartoonist.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

I wasn't sure what you guys were talking about because I thought, "Surely 1981 Nancy is Bushmiller Nancy...?" But apparently he had Parkinson's at this point and was being assisted by a couple of other artists: Al Plastino and Mark Lasky, who would succeed the strip officially (though briefly) following Bushmiller's death in 1982.

Sorry if I'm just repeating lore that is well-known to the thread, but I figured if I missed it, maybe someone else did too.

Did anyone ever speak publicly about the degree and nature of the 'assistance' that was happening during those last few years?

I wasn't sure the extent of any assistants/ghost-cartooning off the top of my head, but at that point Bushmiller had been doing the gig for over 50 years and was one year away from dying, I assumed that the comic strip zombification process was already in place.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Your favorite ship, maybe. My favorite Phantom ship is the Phantom x a story with a loving pulse.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

DC Money posted:

that's not funny, that's sick (exactly what i came here for though...)

drat, sorry to hear that. Maybe I could interest you in an Old-School Heathcliff

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

are you kidding me? This is our dramatic development? If the two old people want to buy a new chair????

oh, Rex Morgan. Never stop not-delivering. :allears:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Rex Morgan isn't as hateable, but he makes up for it by being even more dull.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
lmao Vera Valiant whips impossible amounts of rear end

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Count, wrestling fans at these things consider it lucky if you can stay awake for more than two words at a time.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

She's four, you idiots. Lighten up.

I've seen people in the Wallace section that insist Wallace is a terrible friend and that the Amelia/Spud dynamic is an example of the ongoing anti-male agenda of mass media, I don't get people.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Zereth posted:

Clashing colors? It's one color.

leave it to an underpaid syndicate colorist to not read the-

... heyy, wait a second!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I keep coming up with ideas for people that the Count could've met at this convention in Rex Morgan, to realize that he shouldn't be ashamed for using a mobility aid.

-another pro wrestler of his vintage and career overlap, who uses a wheelchair and has people lining up to meet him.
-a younger pro wrestler (by a few decades) who retired after an in-ring accident (outside of softball charity matches) and walks with a cane now, but reveals he was a huge fan of the count as a kid.
-a way younger pro wrestler who helps the Count, tells the Count that he's still their hero and no amount of needing a mobility aid will make the count look bad in their eyes.
--possibly even ramp up the sympathy by saying the younger pro wrestler has a family member who uses mobility aids.
-the Count nearly collapses at an out-of-the-way artist's table, the artist uses a cane and relates to the count through his art or something, idk.
-the Count meets a guy who was a TV star back during the count's heyday but whose career went nowhere, and they commiserate and laugh together at how old they've gotten, and gain newfound respect for each other because no matter how famous, no matter what one is known for, time comes for us all and we should do what we can to enjoy the twilight years we've earned.

instead, an octogenarian is going to learn from his childhood TV idol that scooters exist.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
like, gently caress, I know nothing ever happens in Rex Morgan, but it's such a gimme to have the tough old guy realize that people of all ages may possibly require mobility aids, and also at the same time find out that he can swallow his manly pride because his fans are just happy that he's present and healthy, and are honored to meet him no matter what he's using to get around. If you wanna get vulgar levels of cloying PR-friendly tokenism, have a child who uses crutches see him and go "oh, wow! Now I realize that manly men can use mobility aids! I've never had a role model until a baby boomer gave me the wisdom I needed to survive my handicap and stand up to bullies and, idk, intolerance! Thanks, magical old man of infinite cranky boomer wisdom!"

I'm annoyed, is what I'm saying. But I still can't put myself in the headspace of the people who hate Wallace and/or Amelia in the GoComics comments.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Breadmaster posted:

I'd be worried if you could, that sort of headspace can't be healthy. No one should have the joy sucked out of their life for that.

I appreciate that. I toyed with calling PJ from the Family Circus a "oval office," but my heart wasn't in it.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
this panel from Amazing Spider-Man #169 (May 1977) was brought to my attention:

e: crackerjack timing!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Hostile V posted:

A Man Like Him Wouldn't Break In Prison Anyway

I'm begrudgingly respecting this pun but it'd be a crime not to salute your comment for pushing it over the top.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
And he Did!

LvK fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Folks, we love to see it