Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Happy New Year and :siren: WELCOME BACK! :siren:

From the real deal. And yeah, I'll be getting to the annual PD roundup...eventually.

2023 was an oddly satisfying year threadwise.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Hey yall I got a real weird request for yall. I need some help finding a specific ZITS comic strip where Jermey is walking over piles of clothes in his room over to his mom and the last panel is him telling her, " I got nothing to wear"

It was an inside joke with my sister we had and hung up a cut out of that strip on her old room. Long story short it was up forever until the family decided we needed to sell the house and I forgot to get the strip down. All I have is half of the first panel :smith:

Any help would be very very appreciative

Its all I could recover from the house clean up.

EasyEW posted:

You're lucky it's been raining all day. :tipshat:

Or the "half-assed attempt at authenticity" version:

But anyway, relentlessly forward into 2024...

Mutts (Patrick McDonnell) was reliably there in 2023, and then Patrick threw us a bottom-of-the -ninth curveball by making good on a longstanding promise to release Guard Dog from his backyard tether and a negligent owner that (very fittingly) we will never see. And his name's Sparky now.

Every time I look at this one... :cry:

Sally Forth (Francesco Marciuliano (writer), Jim Keefe (art)) ended with bang, as Sally finally snapped on her bitter mom in a storyline that divided the thread in a very interesting way. Ces, if you're out there, I still have a Bluesky invite if you're up for moving off of You-Know-Where.

Skippy (Percy L. Crosby, M-Fri) continues to move through the early New Deal years. (December 20, 1935)

Waiting for the year to roll over makes me a little bit nervous, because you remember when I was telling you how he had a cup of coffee with the New York Red press before WW1? Well, 1936 is when Crosby self-published something called "Three Cheers for the Red, Red and Red", which Paul F. Boller describes as "a 500-page diatribe [...] blistering FDR as a Communist." Crosby self-published a lot of diatribes like that with Skippy money, which he was convinced led to IRS troubles a few years later. So it wasn't like his only problem was a peanut butter cartel.

Peanuts (Charles Schulz), which admirably rolled through the Bicentennial year without getting sappy about it. (January 1, 1977)

Okay. Deep breath.

The end of 2022 marked the end of Funky Winkerbean, which under normal circumstances would mean that our long national nightmare was over. Team Crankshaft (Tom Batiuk (writer), Dan Davis (art)) would beg to differ. A handful of Funkyverse castoffs very quickly asserted their new place in TomBat's gag-a-day strip, leading to the current situation: Mopey Pete, a guy who has never shown any interest or aptitude in anything other than comic books, decided to reopen Montoni's. And just to show you where his priorities are, he wedged a marriage proposal into the middle of the site tour.

Pete bailed on his career from burnout. I have no idea what the hell Mindy Murdoch's doing here. On the other hand, their first week after the reopening was nothing but packed houses, something we never saw in the latter days of the old strip, which implies that the main problem with Funky Winkerbean's pizza place was Funky Winkerbean.

Anyway, today shows us mercy, and we get to catch our breath from all of that.

Up until recently, Mutt and Jeff had been sitting in the space formerly occupied by 9 Chickweed Lane (which we're still following on the BSS discord, but I made a pledge to the thread, dammit), but I dunno. When I said it's a few decades of the strip on shuffle play, I wasn't expecting repeats to pop up within months of each other. So I noped out. If the zombie syndication machine can't be bothered with quality control, it's time to move on.

Rip Haywire (Dan Thompson) went through a beast mode phase a long-haired, shirtless version of himself that was somehow even less restrained than usual. Then he got over it. Also, RJ discovered he's indestructible, and took off on his own to see how that'd work out.

They've had a lot going on, is what I"m driving at here.

Li'l Abner, created by Al Capp, one of the great cartoonists and most intolerable bastards of the mid-20th century. As usual, we're getting in on the ground floor. Dogpatch would eventually become one of the most iconic settings of American comic strips, but you wouldn't know that in 1935. To be fair, Capp hasn't spent enough time there just yet, but all that's around the corner. (July 4-6, 1935)

Thimble Theater (Tom Sims (writer) Bela Zaboly (art)) continues to move forward in the spirit of the dearly departed Elzie Segar, which made me feel a little bit guilty, because I've been posting it side by side with the new Olive & Popeye strips, which have taken off in their own direction. (August 5, 1940)

Out Our Way (J.R. Williams) has made it to the summer of '43. We still have boyzendorgs aplenty, but the OOW world is now firmly on war footing.

(above: June 16, 1943, below: September 13-15, 1943)

And then there's these:

There's one more of these that I almost posted last year, but at the time I didn't exactly trust my motivation enough to actually post it. Well, here it is in public for the first time. Hope it doesn't suck.

(The original, with a racial CW and the annual reminder/warning that we take a warts-and-all approach to the posting of vintage strips, which often include racial, religious and gender stereotypes that have aged about as well as milk on a radiator. Their appearance in the the strips we post doesn't mean we're cosigning on them. The general idea (or at least that's what I like to tell myself) is honesty about where we came from, or else we might as well throw up our hands and join a Florida school board. But you still get spoiler tags for the most egregious offenders, because if you don't want to deal with all of that, you should have a fighting chance.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Happy Public Domain Day 2024!

In the US, our honor year is split between 1923 for audio recordings and 1928 for everything else. The liberation of early Mickey Mouse is sucking up all the oxygen in the so-called legitimate media, but for our purposes, The Daily Cartoonist has a quick summary of all the strips that are newly available for repurposing, so I get to be lazier than usual this year! Hooray! (Don't read the comments, though. Let's just say Tom Batiuk isn't the only one who sees the world through collectibles.)

There are a number of long-runners that started in 1927, but the one that really caught my eye is a feature from a cartoonist we should be familiar with by now that I didn't even know had newspaper gig: Ellison Hoover's The Outline of Oscar. So you see? He really was auditioning in those Life pieces.

Anyway, on to the night shift.

Our Boarding House (Gene Ahern) is slowly but surely expanding the supporting cast. Did you know the Major had a brother? And if anything, he's a bigger mooch than the Major. A reverse Mycroft Holmes. (January 23-25, 1925)

Last year was the tenth anniversary of my decision to do Out Our Way, a year where we managed to clear the first twenty years. That's a lot of distance to cover, so it's a reasonable time to revisit one of the recurring early-days themes: Out Our Way: The School Ma'am Saga (January 23, 1925; pops up whenever something that fits the theme shows up next to OBH in the paper.)

One of my favorite discoveries last year was that the syndication of the Fontaine Fox feature I've been labeling Toonerville Folks for convenience (because it didn't get that name until much later) goes back a lot further than a lot of writers thought it did. Behold, the new candidate for "source of the Nile".

(June 23, 24, and 26, 1911)

Anyway, we're up to 1922 on the main timeline (April 6-8, to be exact).

For the cursive impaired:
PATHETIC FIGURES: The back yard gardener who is just starting away with the 3rd load of top soil from the vacant lot when the owner of the property appears.

Meanwhile, we've made it to January 22, 1915 for Dok's Dippy Duck (Dok Hager), and I can't sum the current state of affairs better than Mister Olympus did.

Mister Olympus posted:

also that wacky seattle duck being so flippant about the slow demise of a generation's youth is really incredible

With that in mind, please enjoy tonight's installment of Dok's Dippy Death Cab. (spoilered for regrettable art choices applied to a presumably-African background character).

In the time we've been following Little Lefty (Maurice del Bourgo (d/b/a "del")), it's gone to some unique places, but in recent weeks it's kind of gone off the deep end. And that's because we were just informed that our US-Communist-Party-sponsored Depression-era kid gang strip is about a sea serpent now.

Oh, don't sweat it..at least not yet. The strip is still called Little Lefty. Little Lefty is, in fact, still in it. But the focus has shifted to the adventures of a proto-woke Loch Ness Monster who, as we join him tonight, is going into the movies. And we're here to watch it happen, one strip at a time. (September 7-9, 1939)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 2, 2024

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

riderchop posted:

https://twitter.com/JonLamArt/status/1741545927435784424

so the midjourney artist list leaked as part of court discovery (i don't actually know what lawsuit its from!)

check this out

J.R. Williams is on that list.

Did I feed an AI a diet of boyzendorgz? :tinfoil:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 21, 1935)

Peanuts (January 3, 1977)

Crankshaft, in which I guess Dan Davis just wanted to draw birds this week.

It was pointed out in Discord that this isn't exactly a feeder-type bird, which should make the rest of the week very interesting.

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (July 8-10, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 6, 1940)

And now, the semi-soft reboot of Popeye that I feel kind of guilty putting right underneath the golden age, Olive & Popeye. Randy Milholland, who took over the Sunday Popeye page from Hy Eisman, opened up another front of the re-Popeyefication of America by taking one half of a Tuesday and Thursday strip where Olive and Popeye split off into adventures of their own. It could be a valid take on a legacy property, but of all the Popeye things I've thrown at the thread over the years, this makes everyone the twitchiest. The most diplomatic way I can think of putting this is that the Olive side of the premise (especially now that Olive can talk to ghosts) has a lot of plot potential that really needs to be activated. She's wearing herself out doing a lot of work that the readers aren't getting to see, which is a choice, but one that I'm blaming for my next gray hair. Meanwhile, Popeye has gotten back into a traditional Popeye story with a few modern variations, but...um...well, Preston Blair literally wrote the book on cartoon characters throwing punches. Let's leave it at that.

It's still in my rotation because I still want to see where this goes. And the spinach-industrial complex is grateful for the renewed attention, of course.

(Currently Emi Burdge handling the Olive end of things on Tuesdays (so today), and Randy doing the Popeye side on Thursdays...or at least that's how it goes when things run on schedule.)

Out Our Way (September 16-18, 1943)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Our Boarding House (January 26-28, 1925; timg'd for a Chinese slur)

Out Our Way: Wes Begins (January 27, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (April 10-12, 1922)

THE TOONERVILLE TROLLEY THAT MEETS ALL THE TRAINS: Since that ventriloquist moved out to the village, the commuters who make the 7:47 haven't had to worry much with asking the Skipper to make better time.

Such a bummer that'll only work four or five more times with the same employer.

Dok's Dippy Daimler-Benz (January 23, 1915)

Little Lefty (September 11-13, 1939)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I said it for Prince Valiant a few years ago, and I'll say it again here: it's always deeply satisfying when a creator on a legacy strip is obviously in love with the idea that they get to make stories for these characters for a living.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 23, 1935)

Peanuts, in which Peppermint Patty thinks she's found a loophole. (January 4, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (July 11-13, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 7, 1940)

Running way, waaaay behind today, so OOW will meet you on the night shift.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Out Our Way (January 20-22, 1943)

Our Boarding House (January 29-31, 1925)

Out Our Way: Wes Begins (A Bunkhouse Drinking Habit): (January 30, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (April 13-15, 1922)

NEIGHBORHOOD NEWS: While coming out of his driveway Mr. Jones bumped the Milliner's messenger who was just about to deliver his wife's new Easter hat.

Dok's Dippy Curb Service (January 24, 1915)

Little Lefty (and also Marmaduke) (September 14-16, 1939)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

So Defenders Of The Earth is next on the honor roll, right? :allears:

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 24, 1935)

Peanuts (January 5, 1977)

Crankshaft

Li'l Abner (July 15-17, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 8, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (September 23-25, 1943)

You might've noticed a dramatic dip in quality for this last one. Do you remember when the paper added a second page of comics because a wartime zinc shortage meant less pictures? Well, we just hit a wartime paper shortage, and now those two pages of comics that seemed like a good idea at the time have to be squeezed onto a single page.

We will return to the old comics format as soon as the paper shortage is over or the heat death of the universe. Whichever turns out to be less profitable. But let's face it, we've had it too good for too long.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 4, 2024

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Hippocrass posted:

Gasoline Alley(August 25, 1919)

Exited about my new wooden car!

“Someone should write an erudite essay on the moral, physical, and esthetic effect of the Model T Ford on the American nation. Two generations of Americans knew more about the Ford coil than the clitoris, about the planetary system of gears than the solar system of stars. With the Model T, part of the concept of private property disappeared. Pliers ceased to be privately owned and a tire pump belonged to the last man who had picked it up. Most of the babies of the period were conceived in Model T Fords and not a few were born in them. The theory of the Anglo Saxon home became so warped that it never quite recovered.”

--John Steinbeck from Cannery Row, which I was just reminded of for some reason.

In the "This Is Newspaper-Adjacent Now" Department: While a significant chunk of the Internet this week looked at the Steamboat Willie situation as a perfect opening a slasher movie or a rule 34 incident, Popeye's Randy Milholland looks at it as an invitation to just tell a Mickey Mouse story without having to ask official permission. It's quaint, and a little endearing.

With that in mind, here's Mousetrapped.

Our Boarding House teaches us to cover for our family members, in case they ever find it convenient to do the same for us. (February 2-4, 1925)

Out Our Way: Wes Begins (February 3, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (April 17-19, 1922)

NEIGHBORHOOD NEWS: Last Saturday afternoon four of Mickey McGuire's Gang came from across the R.R. tracks and took a stroll through the polite residential district.

THE TOONERVILLE TROLLEY THAT MEETS ALL THE TRAINS: The watchman at Finger Crossing where the car tracks cross the railroad makes life miseralbe for the Skipper in a hundred ways, but once in a while the Skippermanages to get back at him.

Dok's "No Riders" Duck (most of January 25, 1915)

Little Lefty (September 18-20, 1939)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 5, 2024

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Dammit, I thought that was going to be Defenders Of The Earth Flash until I saw that haircut.

Oh, and just a reminder that Popeye 1.0, the no-spinach one with the weird, deflated jawline, begins his public domain journey in 2025. But if you really want to limber up your pen, the first ten years of Thimble Theater is already fair game. So why not make a Life With the Oyls sitcom while you're waiting?

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 25, 1935)

Peanuts (January 7, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Breezy and Cobra had a bonding moment awhile back, but really, she just wants to take Cobra off of Rip's ledger.

Li'l Abner (July 18-20, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 9, 1940)

Out Our Way (September 27-29, 1943)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 5, 2024

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mousetrapped, starring a strategically unnamed cartoon rodent (and featuring a very specific legal disclaimer).

[https://mousetrappedcomic.blog/post/738571881854238720/mousetrapped-4-an-ear-to-bend]Ub as in Iwerks[/url].

Our Boarding House (February 5-7, 1925)

Out Our Way: Wes Begins (February 6, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (April 20-22, 1922)

THE LITTLE SCORPIONS CLUB: It begins to look as if the Club might have to change its rule against women members and take in Tomboy Taylor as a measure of self defense.

NEIGHBORHOOD NEWS: Mr. Wilkins, the garden enthusiast, was driving in the front gate when he spied a neighbor's chicken in his garden and seized the opportunity to run it down.

THE TERRIBLE-TEMPERED MR. BANG ON THE GOLF LINKS: Every spring until they open the regular putting greens Mr. Bang has recurrent fits of what you might call Temporary Greens Insanity.

Dok's Dippy Pavillion (January 26, 1915)

Little Lefty (September 21-23, 1939)

Gossip columnist Louella Parsons was one of the most feared figures in Hollywood during her peak years of 1935-50. And yeah, she did get paid for that; her column appeared in up to 400 newspapers worldwide.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 6, 2024

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 8, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (July 22-24, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 10, 1940)

Out Our Way (September 30-October 2, 1943)

(e: because Peanuts isn't Sally Forth a second time)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 6, 2024

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

riderchop posted:

Linus and Lucy get iPad

Oof. Fixed.

Might as well use this as an excuse to add some Mafalda to the thread.

e: because I can't spell today either. A fun day all around.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 6, 2024

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Picayune posted:

... man, I really miss PB Max bars.

The candy I think about most often from childhood is the the Marathon bar. A lot of kids loved it but the grocers hated it because it took up twice the space of a regular candy bar at the register. A piece of me says, "Dude, it's just a double-size Curly Wurly" but it's the principle of the thing, dammit...

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

No big post tonight, but let's get to the end of Mousetrapped week one (which is going to be a Monday-Friday thing, at least in the short term).

(Randy's notes. The executive summary: Pete the Pup is a silent-era Walter Lantz character. He's being used here because Mickey's "proper" friends are still under protective custody in California for the next few years.)

For what it's worth, a writeup of this series showed up in an animation history Facebook group, and after a full week of news of multiple projects with some form of horror movie Mickey, the reaction was a deep sense of relief.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

Is really that hard to creat something new instead of ripping off old garbage?

You're not the only one asking this right now, but the thing is it seems like everyone else is just reposting the cartoon on YouTube to dunk on the mouse corporation (my YouTube front page is half Steamboat Willys right now because I watched one), while Randy's using the newly expanded creative commons as an excuse to do a Mickey story without looking over his shoulder for Disney lawyers, which is downright wholesome compared to other options.

Seriously, that strip is the effort post version of what's been going on in the mouse-space since last Monday.

Anyway, Mutts.

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 9, 1977)

Crankshaft

Li'l Abner (July 25-27, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 9, 1940)

Popeye

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 7, 2024

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Welcome back to A Sketchy Life, where I go through a vintage humor magazine that Henry Luce bought for the trademark to create photojournalism juggernaut that everyone seems to remember! Also we get to explore the unlocked DLC from Public Domain Day 2024. Content immune from takedown notices since 2019!

Anyway, let's kick off 1928 with the Broadway Number (January 9, 1928), wrapped in a dandy Fred G Cooper cover.

Edward Monks:

Garrett Price:

Emilio Amero, an out-of-nowhere addition to last year's rotation. I mean, there's modern, and there's modern...

J. Norman Lynd:

Don Herold:

And one of the magazine's patented two-page spreads, this time around from Russell Patterson:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

EBB posted:

why don't they just put crankshaft to sleep?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Does Batiuk have a briefcase full of blackmail material or something

amigolupus posted:

Jesus, ditching Wallace but putting in garbage like Crankshaft and Luann? That's loving bullshit.

Today's Crankshaft should be deeply satisfying.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 26, 1935)

Peanuts (January 10, 1977)

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (July 29-31, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 12, 1940)

Out Our Way (October 4-6, 1943)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Yeah, I'm still curious enough to see where Mousetrapped goes, so here we are again.

Julius was the cat in Disney's Alice Comedies, Walt's breakout series. If you're not familiar, the gimmick was combining the live-action Alice with a fully animated everything else. Alice was nominally the star, but in the middle of 1920s Felix-mania, Julius ran off with the show every chance he got. Which brings us back to this...

"The Winkler Street Orphans" is a reference to Margaret Winkler, the first female film distributor in the United States and the distributor of the Alice Comedies. Winkler and Disney had a solid working relationship--in fact, she was the one who suggested that Alice team "use a cat wherever possible and don’t be afraid to let him do ridiculous things"-- but then she married Charles Mintz, who took over the company and named it after himself. Mintz demanded more product on lower budgets, and when they brought Oswald the Lucky Rabbit to Universal, it was a little over a year before Mintz set up his own animation studio and signed all of Disney's animators up for it except Ub Iwerks, who knew what kind of underbellied scheme was in progress. And as legend goes, on the train trip back from the meeting where he walked away from all of the Mintz nonsense, Walt Disney started thinking about cartoon mice.

A lot of :words: (and that's the intensely boiled-down version), but if you learn nothing else from this, always remember that Mickey was Walt's rebound guy.

Anyway, moving on to Our Boarding House (February 9-11, 1925)

Out Our Way: Wes Begins (February 10, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (April 24-26, 1922)

IN THE VACANT LOT BASE BALL LEAGUE: The game between the "Little-Potatoes-Hard-to-Peel" ball team and the Junior Giants was enlivened by a scrap between two spectators just like a regular big league game.

THE TOONERVILLE TROLLEY THAT MEETS ALL THE TRAINS: The boys up to the depot just about laughted themselves sick when that stranger came up to the Trolley Skipper and asked; "DOES SHE EVER JUMP THE TRACK?"

PATHETIC FIGURES: The fat man who gave the youngster 50¢ to show him the neew best place to fish.

Dok's Dippy Horse Trader (January 27, 1915)

Little Lefty (September 25-27, 1939)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

you know, of all the old jobs we see in the old strips, elevator operator is the one that makes me wonder the most. was there something super difficult with the button system? was it on a pulley system back then?

Well, you're getting close. There were no floor buttons in the 20s and 30s. Automated push-button elevators weren't introduced until the 1960s, so this was the control panel.

(top to bottom: best case scenario; everyone else)

It was left to an operator regulating the speed with a lever...and, if you were in a department store, announcing the floors and departments as you go.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 27, 1935)

Peanuts (January 11, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (August 1-3, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 13, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (October 7-9, 1943)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanut butter toast is respectable quick breakfast.

Mousetrapped

Weakheart was Dinky Doodle's dog in another Walter Lantz series for the Bray Studio. The name was a rib on Strongheart (born Etzel von Oeringen), a German shepherd film star who preceded Rin Tin Tin by a few years.

Out Our Way (February 12-14, 1925)

Out Our Way: Wes Begins (February 13, 1925)

And a bonus: a tiny story about intramural squabble in Germany that I'm sure won't have any long-term consequences.

Toonerville Folks (April 27-29, 1922)

OLD MAN PENNYPACKER, THE VILLAGE TIGHTWAD: You don't catch Old Man Pennypacker paying any dentist to yank a tooth when he can have the R.R. Co. do it for him for nothing.

NEIGHBORHOOD NEWS: Four of Mickey McGuire's Gang (every man a crack shot) discovered Willie Davis in the act of repairing his radio.

SHARON POTTS, THE GOOSE CRICK FERRYMAN: While Sharon was moving Maud Beasley's stuff across the crick, Egghead Harris heaved a big rock into the water behind them and Maud and Sharon are still scrapping about what it was that fell off, if anything.

Dok's Dippy Dry Goods (January 28, 1915)

Little Lefty (September 27, 29-30, 1939 (because I screwed up the posting order again last night))

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 28, 1935)

Peanuts (January 12, 1977)

Crankshaft takes a turn.

Feels like something's missing here.

Theeeeeeeeere we go.

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (August 5-7, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 14, 1940)

Out Our Way (October 11-13, 1943)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I disappeared down a non-comic strip rabbit hole tonight, but you still get Mousetrapped, because I'm still curious about "Mousetrapped".

Julet Esqu posted:

I feel like just yelling "NO REALLY THIS IS TOTALLY STEAMBOAT WILLIE MICKEY AND NOT NORMAL MICKEY" without any other signifiers to differentiate him might not be enough to keep it in the public domain, but what do I know? I'm not a copyright lawyer.

Plaid shorts, no gloves. No jury in the world would convict him.

Kazinsal posted:

John Allison managed to briefly get away with an obvious Batman fan comic in Allisonverse clothing.

Randy Milholland will not manage to get away with angering the trillion-dollar industry that is Disney's legal department.

It would be deeply ironic if this is what drew Disney legal out instead of one of the many "mouse with a chainsaw" projects.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 30, 1935)

Peanuts (January 13, 1977)

Crankshaft

Aww, I wanted to spend more time with the Some Gizmo Kids.

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (August 8-10, 1935)

Please welcome back Marryin' Sam, covering both ends of the matrimonial contract. What you do in the middle is your own business.

Thimble Theater (August 15, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (October 14-16, 1943)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Yeah. More Of This.

Randy's notes posted:

And thus we come to Julis Cat, one of the two protagonists of Disney’s early Alice Comedies. I altered his design a bit, combining the designs of an early cat character who likely was the basis for the character and the final design in the Alice series. Why?

Because later Julius was a Felix the Cat clone.

This wasn’t by accident, either. Disney redesigned Julius, apparently under duress from his distributor, Margaret Winkler.

If you get the chance to watch the Alice comedies, Juluus is often unhinged. Honestly, calling him a “protagonist” feels like a stretch. He’s a complete jerk.

Also appearing in this comic, Little Red Henski - the “villain” of the cartoon, “Alice’s Egg Plant.” In that cartoon, Alice and Julius run an egg farm (where Julius enjoys cracking a whip at the hens). Little Red Henski is an evil commie who shows up and commits the evil act of… telling the hends they deserve better treatment and unionizing.

Walt put his anti-union stuff out there early. -R.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3Ui3Yiforo

Our Boarding House (February 16-18, 1925)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM3mlmEkGJ4

Out Our Way: Yeah, We're Going To Stay With The 1925 Cowboy Panels For A Bit (February 18, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (May 1-3, 1922)

THE TOONERVILLE TROLLEY THAT MEETS ALL THE TRAINS: Every year just after moving day there's pretty sure to be some newcomers from the city who get terribly sea-sick riding over that WAVY SECTION OF THE TRACK east of the Smith place.

Dok's "Well, He's Back on A Corner" Duck (January 29 30, 1915)

Little Lefty (October 2-3, 1939 (no strip on the 4th))

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 13, 2024

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 31, 1935)

Peanuts (January 14, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (August 15-17, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 16, 1940)

Out Our Way (October 18-20, 1943)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mousetrapped

Huh. Original characters. What a concept.

Out Boarding House, featuring a perfectly timed reveal. (February 19-21, 1925)

Out Our Way: 1925 Cowboys, Revisited (February 21, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (May 4-6, 1922)

ON THE FAMILY TENNIS COURT: The regular early spring dispute between Dad and Willie concerning the playing condition of the court.

Bonus: One of our occasional visits with Clare Briggs (May 6, 1922)

Babe Ruth was eating a six-week suspension as the test case for the authority of newly installed baseball commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis.

Call to the Pen posted:

After the [Yankees 1921 pennant] season Ruth decided to barnstorm along with teammate and outfielder Bob Meusel. In doing so, Ruth and Meusel broke a major league rule against barnstorming by players who participated in the World Series. The first Commissioner in baseball history, Kenesaw Mountain Landis, believed that the Series should be the most important event of the baseball season. With baseball’s reputation having suffered from the Black Sox scandal of 1919 Landis did not want anything to take away from the fans faith in the game.

According to ‘The Image of Their Greatness’ by Lawrence Ritter and Donald Honig, when Ruth heard that Landis meant to enforce the rule he reportedly said, ‘Tell the old guy to go jump in the lake.’

Landis did not respond. He simply waited until late in 1921 before announcing his decision. The Commissioner fined Babe Ruth, considered the greatest player in baseball history, and his teammate Meusel their full World Series shares of $3,500 and suspended them for the first six weeks of the 1922 season. Landis’ handling of Ruth is considered by some to have strengthened his role as Commissioner more than any other act.

Despite protests from the fans, Ruth was not reinstated and began the 1922 season in street clothes. Even when he came back his suspension did not lead to reform. Ruth was suspended twice more in 1922 for arguing and throwing dirt on an umpire then cursing at another.

Ruth’s antics would not stop the greatest dynasty in baseball history from winning its second consecutive pennant. And in the 110 games that he played he hit .315 with 35 home runs and 99 RBI.

Ruth was there on opening day, as a guest in the presidential box of Warren G. Harding, who threw out the first pitch.

Dok's Dippy Newsreel (January 29, 1915, because I goofed on the dates again last night.)

Little Lefty (October 5, 6, and most of 7, 1939)

Meanwhile, the rest of the sports page is trying to make Marmaduke a thing, even having him pick sides in the World Series.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 13, 2024

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 15, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (August 19-21, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 17, 1940)

Out Our Way (October 18-20, 1943)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 16, 1977)

Crankshaft

Li'l Abner (August 22-24, 1935)

'

Thimble Theater (August 18, 1940)

Popeye

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

It's A Sketchy Life for January 12, 1928, and it's the automobile number! Here's Will B. Johnstone to get us started.

Ronald McLeod:

Ned Hilton:

Don Herold:

Wynn:

L.J. Holton:

Johnny Gruelle:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Family medical issues are going to be keeping me away from here about half of the time for the immediate future, so here's the half you get today.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 1, 1936)

Peanuts (January 17, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (August 26-28, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 19, 1940)

Out Our Way (October 25-27, 1943)

And, because it's already there, here's more Mousetrapped.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 2, 1936)

Peanuts (January 18, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (August 29-31, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 20, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (October 28-30, 1943)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

The only thing I can add to the talk about antique racism that I haven't touched on a jillion times before is adjacent to what Safety Dance was saying: it's instructive how shockingly narrow the concept of "white" was before WW2.

Anyway, a family emergency is cutting into my effort post time for for the immediate future, which mean Mousetrapped is what's for dinner tonight.

Randy's notes posted:

Finally, we meet Dinkly Doodle and Weakheart. Dinky and Weakheart were Walter Lantz creations for Bray Studios, preceeding Pete the Pup by a few years. They followed a rather similar format to Pete’s later cartoons, though.

Also, if you’re interested in watching some of these old shorts, Tommy José Stathes has you covered.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Another interesting day, but I'm dedicated to at least giving you the short version.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 3, 1936)

Peanuts (January 19, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 21, 1940)

Mousetrapped

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Okay not to bait the bear, but has Randy ever sexually harassed someone or redone some strip with religious/Trumpy overtones?

Because I think you need to take that poo poo back.

Weembles posted:

I assume they meant "Gilchrist's obsession with lore and old characters plus tumbr politics" rather than "twee MAGA hat guy."

Even there, Randy boldly resisted the urge to redo Castor as 6-foot-4 and full of muscles.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 4, 1936)

Peanuts (January 20, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Now, where were we on Li'l Abner? Oh yeah, a possibly-phony minister was trying to break up a happy marriage for a quick payday. (September 2-4, 1935)

So many talents coming into play to pull of these swindles, it makes you wonder why he doesn't just doesn't get a nightclub gig.

Thimble Theater (August 22, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

That three-eyed plant monster looks so happy, even if he is aiming for a bag of walking gristle.

Out Our Way (November 1-3, 1943)

Mousetrapped

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 19, 2024

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mercury Hat posted:

this has been the running joke between me and my friend whenever the sea hag's shown up this storyline

You might want to pop the popcorn for this one.

Thimble Theater (August 23, 1940)

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 6, 1936)

Peanuts (January 21, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (September 5-7, 1935)

Out Our Way (November 4-6, 1943)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

drat Flash Gordon is good. Is there a way to let the dude who does it know? Assuming it's one person and a dude.

Also active on what's left of the socials.

Groping back towards a sense of normalcy, but not normal enough that I didn't forget to pull Dok's Duck tonight. :doh:

Our Boarding House (February 23-25, 1925)

This fella, Paavo Nurmy th' Finnish runner.

Out Our Way: Wes Begins (February 24, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (May 8-10, 1922, timg for Italian stereotype)

Little Lefty (October 9, 11, 1939; no 10th )

This reminds me of Maggie Mae Fish's video about anti-vaping ads that really, really make you want to vape.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 22, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner, in which they're really making Sam work for it. (September 9-11, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 24, 1940)

Out Our Way (November 4-6, 1943)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 23, 1977)

Dinkleshaft

Thimble Theater (August 25, 1940)

Popeye

And now, we double back for a few Toonerville Folks Gap Pluggers. You might remember when I was doing 1915, I was working from only one paper, and some of them were a little damaged.

(November 14, 1915 in the New Orleans paper)

Well, I think I figured something out with a second source.

(Replacing this one, which I may have never posted, so it's December 2, 1915 in the Lincoln (Nebraska) Daily Star.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 21, 2024