Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

wizzardstaff posted:

The metaphor seems pretty clear to me? Not just a generic Latest Fad but tech/automation trends pushing out journalists from their jobs, which seems like a valid thing for a journalist to be cynical about.

Are they journalists, though? It's taking place in an utterly generic office building. There's no specificity anywhere in the cartoon so it just comes off as "new trend bad". What is new trend? Doesn't matter. New trend bad. The lack of specificity robs the cartoon of any insight, especially when there's so many new trends (AI, crypto, etc.) that are bad. This is one step removed from the old Simpsons bit about "those clowns in Congress". There's no real comment about anything and it sucks rear end because its a sign of lazy hack work just like Prickly City.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

"Oh no, we may have to say the quiet part out loud and admit we only represent the voices of straight white Christian males!"

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

God this is so vapid. Trend thing bad! You should no like trend thing! What is this even supposed to be about?

I dunno, maybe it's because I'm getting old but I'm getting really tired of people whose output is a constant stream of cynicism.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: From the Whiners to the Twee, Right-Wingers Will Be Free

Ted Rall posted:

Pro-Israel students at colleges and universities like Columbia claim that they feel endangered when they see pro-Palestine antiwar protests on campus and hear phrases like “from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free.” Everyone is entitled to their own baseless feelings, but let’s not forget who has REAL cause to fear for their lives–those in Gaza who are being slaughtered by Israel.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

This is based on this cartoon. From what I read it was one of those xerox-lore cartoons that people copied and put up on office noticeboards in the 70s-80s.

Meh, boomer klurfs.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm just old enough to remember the era of pre-internet photocopy memes from visits to family member workplaces, but I think about them often. Is there an archive somewhere of those?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
It's a funny metacommentary how Lubchansky's milquetoast criticisms of corporations and government make people fly into an absolute rage.

It's a cartoon about corporations latching on to [latest fad], written nonspecifically so it can apply in the future to the next time management does the same thing, and the next time...

It's pretty mild but I guess it's slightly more transgressive than 1990 Dilbert which is the maximum critique of the system allowed.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

God this is so vapid. Trend thing bad! You should no like trend thing! What is this even supposed to be about?

I dunno, maybe it's because I'm getting old but I'm getting really tired of people whose output is a constant stream of cynicism.

its about bitcoin/AI/next years dumb silicon valley pump and dump

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

It's about cube.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Speaking of boomers copying poo poo, it's time once more for

See the plushies are a metaphor for money here. Because the Jews control the money.

I... don't think they need to actually catch it? It sounded like it just needed to be born somewhere? What the gently caress?

Are the cows... some kind of minority group now? What is even happening? Does even Tats know if this is supposed to be literal or metaphorical at this point?

I guess this person is supposed to be some kind of trans Jew. Like, we're just jamming the puzzle pieces together at this point.

I'm not saying I'm going to let the Steven Universe people know that he did this but in fact that is something I am going to do, yes. (Using something made by a Jewish person for this is just extra great.)

You heard it here first, folks. White Supremacy: not the enemy of mankind.

Aaand we're right back to just super, super racist poo poo. Like, here's Ishida comparing and contrasting two protests and managing to be a terrible bigot twice over.

Pettyfest

Shipping Tier List

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

idonotlikepeas posted:

You heard it here first, folks. White Supremacy: not the enemy of mankind.

Wait, isn't that Monique? I thought he was making her one of the "good ones", why is she having a problem with white supremacy instead of claiming that everything bad in the world is because of the trans jews?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Aaand we're right back to just super, super racist poo poo. Like, here's Ishida comparing and contrasting two protests and managing to be a terrible bigot twice over.

As well, trying to say the Floyd protests didn't look exactly like the last panel is such a laughable lie

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you cut the middle panels so that it was just "BLM protests => cops take knee => protestors take knee => cops get up and beat BLM protestors" then it'd be accurate.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

the_steve posted:

Wait, isn't that Monique? I thought he was making her one of the "good ones", why is she having a problem with white supremacy instead of claiming that everything bad in the world is because of the trans jews?
Presumably she has to be converted to Nazism having mostly renounced her already poorly-written conversion to lesbianism.

But this is the man with the writer’s version of ADHD, so we might not see her against for another year. I mean, 2024 was shown once and we likely won’t see her again until the obligatory summer week of strips where she bemoans Pride month.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
At the rate he's going he's just going to have a whole month of 'goy pride' parades being blown up by space lasers.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

as if "let's go beat up some jews" isn't going to be the explicit message of sinfest in a year's time (as opposed to now, where at least the beating up part is merely strongly implied)

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Chris Riddell on how one-word Ofsted assessments would apply to the Tory party – The school assessor’s minimalist judgments are here to stay. But how would inspectors rate the government?"

Sunday Telegraph:

‘If you see an Atacm coming, all you can do is duck’ - Vaunted US long-range missiles arriving in Ukraine aren’t a silver bullet, warns expert, but they will be a strain on Russia’s air defences

Matt:

Wales to drop blanket 20mph speed limits by September

Sunday Times:

Alex Salmond names his price to keep Humza Yousaf in a job

Mail on Sunday:

Shoplifting offences rise to highest level since records began: Store thefts jump by more than a THIRD compared to 2022 - with 430,104 offences recorded in last 12 months, figures show

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

So this one, i had to look up, but it's a riff on a real Israeli settler who literally stole someone's house out from under them and used the same defense, word for word

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9q9PDBsDe8

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Like his Rocky IV visual vomit a few months earlier, weight classes just don't seem to be a thing. Also, note how the other competitors seem... I don't know, fine? They barely get any defined features, but the best I can read their response to the woman yelling about cheating (who is in no way involved with the competition) is 'huh?'.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

I suspect Mac didn't entirely intend the takeaway to be that police are corrupt and just as bad as the criminals they're supposed to arrest, but as someone who likes Mac's art I'm always glad to see a comic from him that isn't rife with bigotry and old-fashioned racism.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The only thing I laughed at was Mac's idea of a telephone which appears to be stuck at this

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Oh good another National X Day cartoon. It had been too long and I was jonesing for a tepid joke

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

I don't get it

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

JamesBont posted:

I don't get it

quote:

An omnibus spending bill is a type of bill in the United States that packages many of the smaller ordinary appropriations bills into one larger single bill that can be passed with only one vote in each house of Congress. There are twelve different ordinary appropriations bills that need to be passed each year (one for each appropriations sub-committee) to fund the federal government and avoid a government shutdown. An omnibus spending bill combines two or more of those bills into a single bill.

Often, omnibus spending bills are criticized for being full of pork (unnecessary/wasteful spending that pleases constituents or special interest groups).[7] The bills regularly stretch to more than 1,000 pages. Nevertheless, such bills have grown more common in recent years.[1]: 14 

The analogy doesn't work though when you are talking about making food for the entire caveman clan, you'd want to put what everyone's hunted & gathered together so there is maximum amount of food to eat, instead of voting to only eat roots today and throw away the meat and berries.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

It's a funny metacommentary how Lubchansky's milquetoast criticisms of corporations and government make people fly into an absolute rage.

It's a cartoon about corporations latching on to [latest fad], written nonspecifically so it can apply in the future to the next time management does the same thing, and the next time...

It's pretty mild but I guess it's slightly more transgressive than 1990 Dilbert which is the maximum critique of the system allowed.

Is Lub getting hit a lot on Twitter about this comic? Doesn’t surprise me, it’s a right-wing hellscape these days.

My biggest complaint about it is exactly what you’re saying: it’s boring and weak and whiny, and it’s metaphor muddies its message more than it helps.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Nenonen posted:

The analogy doesn't work though when you are talking about making food for the entire caveman clan, you'd want to put what everyone's hunted & gathered together so there is maximum amount of food to eat, instead of voting to only eat roots today and throw away the meat and berries.

I would not want to be part of Fishmans caveman clan. His stew would be bland as gently caress

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ah yes, that dish most well known for being hated and reviled across the land: Stew.

If he really wanted to make the point he thought he was making, the caveman should've said something like "Ok, I know the majority of you said you wanted to grill, but I'm not in the mood for that, so we're having stew, again."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Perpetual Stew was common throughout a lot of societies from time immemorial to the modern day because it works. It works because of exactly how Fishman claims it doesn't.

An historically ignorant cartoon.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Stews, famous for not featuring meat or roots

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Deaths of dozens of Australian women this year trigger mass protests across country (ABC).

Broelman:

Herbert:

Scott Morrison has a book out.

Leak, Son of Leak:

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

I think this is a repost from a few years ago, unless it's a separate cartoon with the label "Low-class Mexican food peddlers (probably Mexican)". I think Taco John's also relented on the Taco Tuesday trademark.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

fool of sound posted:

Stews, famous for not featuring meat or roots

the_steve posted:

Ah yes, that dish most well known for being hated and reviled across the land: Stew.

Guavanaut posted:

Perpetual Stew was common throughout a lot of societies from time immemorial to the modern day because it works. It works because of exactly how Fishman claims it doesn't.
Glad to be so severely beaten to the punch but yeah, stew is easy, tastes great, has been a historic staple for as long as we've known how to cook, and was usually very robust and healthy compared to other options. Imagine your best insult being "yeah but what if we took all these disparate ingredients and made a delicious stew out of them?? God that would be awful"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Vib Rib posted:

It's so cool that whenever conservatives (or liberals) bitch about pro-Palestinian college protests, they always have a bunch of picket signs like FREE PALESTINE and NO MORE GENOCIDE but then the artist realizes "oh poo poo these aren't evil enough" so then they just throw in one or two signs of like "I WANT TO KILL ALL JEWS". It's so self aware, such a reveal of the flaws in their approach, and yet it doesn't slow them up for a single second because they'll just react as though the signs they made up are completely real and very common. Making up your own reality and forgetting you made it up.
And I know the general argument is "oh yeah they know they're lying" but I don't think it matters, and I fully believe some people like Hitch just portray it that way and fully believe what they've drawn is true.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Leak, Son of Leak:

lol though

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

VitalSigns posted:

My dude, I was annoyed because her stuff is always milquetoast and unspecific. It takes no effort or insight to say "non-specific thing bad" especially when there's plenty of specifically bad things out there.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Trapezium Dave posted:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Good ol' Calm Hitler reasoning. :laffo:

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Good ol' Calm Hitler reasoning. :laffo:

Not really a fan of this interpretation when there's no indication here that the Jewish students are supporters of what Israel is doing, and in fact quite a few of the protesters have been Jewish themselves.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I think it's fair to guess which side of the last week of propaganda working to portray student protestors as malevolent hotheads Leak comes down on. My interpretation is that portraying the protestors as extra snarky rubes who don't even know that college-age adults have civil debates is pretty empty-headed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

I think Taco John's also relented on the Taco Tuesday trademark.

Caved due to all the pressure from high class political cartoonists,no doubt.