Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's kind of crazy how fast he went from "Israel is doing some terrible poo poo" to "The Jews control the world at the bidding of their lord and master, Satan". It took him ages to get from feminist to TERF; I guess each successive hole is easier to fall down.

There were already anti-Semitic dogwhistles in the comic before the current ongoing poo poo with Israel, though. At least one strip from the black-and-white era had a Jewish caricature devil talking about "subjugating the masses" using "fractional reserve banking", which are lines straight from neo-nazi propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
thank you all for replying, it is an incredible rabbit hole.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ZZT the Fifth posted:

There were already anti-Semitic dogwhistles in the comic before the current ongoing poo poo with Israel, though. At least one strip from the black-and-white era had a Jewish caricature devil talking about "subjugating the masses" using "fractional reserve banking", which are lines straight from neo-nazi propaganda.
That could or could not be "just a joke man, like in South Park", same as how his years of circling the drain of galactic lizardman illuminati robot devils could just be the gutter conspiracy poo poo, which while fully adjacent to antisemitism, is not inherently antisemitic (as with Jon Ronson's investigations into David Icke and his fans).

Once he actually names the Jew as the source of the world's ills there's no going back though, so instead of one-off "well that's a bit AS, but it's no worse than his Ghetto Gangman or Ignorant Woman joke from the same era" you get "here's an entire week of Jew Voltron and the Tunnels Under New York with the worst caricatures you will ever see outside of a National Action newsletter or some posters from the 1930s."

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Szarrukin posted:

thank you all for replying, it is an incredible rabbit hole.

It is good that this usually comes up at least a couple times a year and keeps the information about it current. Also typically makes a nice break from just yelling how much we hate Sinfest / Tatsuya Ishida to actually articulating why.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There was some discussion of removing Ishida from kellies eligibility as a webcomicker last year. For reference with about 100 entries left to process (going to try to finish tonight), Tats was nominated 24 times.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

the_steve posted:

The last time I remember seeing him, it was when the devil kids had gotten home and Ishida had done one of those attempts-at-contrast strips where something bad was happening to one group of people while the Devil was sitting at home watching the children play.

But I swear that was in 2022.

The only way to tell for sure would be for someone to flip though every Sinfest strip in 2023, counting appearances of Satan. But nobody would be crazy enough to do that, right?

https://sinfest.xyz/view.php?date=2023-08-12
https://sinfest.xyz/view.php?date=2023-08-13 (statue only)
https://sinfest.xyz/view.php?date=2023-10-09 (painting only)
https://sinfest.xyz/view.php?date=2023-10-10 (magic portal painting?)

Vainglorious was in it some (14 appearances), which I think was what I was thinking of. We have a lot of stuff happening in hell, with demons, or both, but little actual devil.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Sydney stabbing: seven people dead, including attacker shot by police at Bondi Junction shopping centre (Guardian).

Knight:

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
You know what the most irritating thing about Ishida's cartoons featuring trans women is? The ever present beard or stubble.

Like, if you want to learn how to do a clean shave to the molecular level, without a single hair visible, without even needing to look in the mirror because of years of obsessive practice, ask a trans woman to teach you.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Oh you absolute gently caress, darkening the skin of the attacker.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

JamesBont, for the sake of my getting through these tonight, please separately post the below post from last year in the Kellies thread as a special case. It's a great post but I can't really fit it into the system or the competition with normal individual toons.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4021042&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=358#post536577514

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
gently caress Leak

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Guavanaut posted:

That could or could not be "just a joke man, like in South Park", same as how his years of circling the drain of galactic lizardman illuminati robot devils could just be the gutter conspiracy poo poo, which while fully adjacent to antisemitism, is not inherently antisemitic (as with Jon Ronson's investigations into David Icke and his fans).

Google the phrases "fractional reserve banking" and "subjugating the masses" in quotes together and you immediately get neo-nazi propaganda. I'm not convinced it was ever a joke.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh you absolute gently caress, darkening the skin of the attacker.

It's especially disgusting because it sounds like the attacker was a mentally ill white dude, and a security guard who died trying to stop him was a recent Pakistani immigrant.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Update: I have now processed all of what looks to be 973 entries from last year. Cripes. I've also taken a first stab at category harmonization. Microplastics, I'll be sending you the current spreadsheet via PM so we can figure out entry number setup and how to resolve a couple formatting issues. I'll be able to work on this again next weekend.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Thoughtless posted:

You know what the most irritating thing about Ishida's cartoons featuring trans women is? The ever present beard or stubble.

Like, if you want to learn how to do a clean shave to the molecular level, without a single hair visible, without even needing to look in the mirror because of years of obsessive practice, ask a trans woman to teach you.

The thing is, TERF fuckers like Ishida and Lester and McCoy, et al do not acknowledge trans women as women.
That's their entire point.

With them it's never "This person says they are a woman because in their heart and soul they are a woman."

It is "This is a dude in drag because he is a sex pervert and he knows he is a sex pervert, and saying he identifies as a woman is just the magic spell he has to recite in order to watch children use the bathroom and we all are expected to play along because of Woke."

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Amjad Rasmi

Carlos Latuff

Christopher Weyant

Clay Bennett

David M. Hitch

Drew Sheneman

Jimmy Margulies

Lee Judge

I assume this is supposed to be suggesting that Biden is anti-Israel, so maybe just add that to the list of ways this cartoon is stupid.

Randall Enos

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Discendo Vox posted:

JamesBont, for the sake of my getting through these tonight, please separately post the below post from last year in the Kellies thread as a special case. It's a great post but I can't really fit it into the system or the competition with normal individual toons.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4021042&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=358#post536577514

Will do

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

Lee Judge

I assume this is supposed to be suggesting that Biden is anti-Israel, so maybe just add that to the list of ways this cartoon is stupid.

I mean, yeah? Outside of Something Awful, "Biden is anti-Israel because he wants Hamas to win" is the right-wing talking point.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Clay Jones

Mike Luckovich

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Ahahaha of course Stantis is running back to Kevin and the Lefty Tea Party. The full on political cartoon equivalent of fingers in the ears singing "lalala can't hear you conservative politics of 2024".

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Technowolf posted:

Mike Luckovich

I swear I have seen this ITT like 3 or 4 times already

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

I swear I have seen this ITT like 3 or 4 times already

Yeah I was about to write that, what is up with this cartoon, I keep seeing it page after page.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

the_steve posted:

It is "This is a dude in drag because he is a sex pervert and he knows he is a sex pervert, and saying he identifies as a woman is just the magic spell he has to recite in order to watch children use the bathroom and we all are expected to play along because of Woke."
We gotta pass those bathroom bills to keep 'em from raping our kids. Weird that nobody thought to make raping our kids illegal yet, I mean if it were you'd think that would be enough of a criminal deterrent and also equally effective at stopping straight cis guys since in all scenarios, anyone doing that in a public bathroom is accepting the drat near guaranteed chance of going to prison solitary for it

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 15, 2024

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: What Will Be Left of Gaza for Trump To Make Worse?

Ted Rall posted:

Democrats argue that Trump, who was very in favor of Israel during his presidency, would be even worse for the people of Gaza than Biden, who has totally enabled Netanyahu to do whatever he wants. However, by the time the election rolls around, there won’t be anything left of Gaza for Trump to make worse.

First Dog on the Moon: Is everything really getting worse - or is it simply old people imagining it?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

'Palestien'

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Marshall Ramsey

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Kikas posted:

Yeah I was about to write that, what is up with this cartoon, I keep seeing it page after page.

Lmao I checked and it does indeed seem to keep coming back again and again. Skios posted it first on 5 April, then again on 8 April, then Technowolf posted it on 15 April. In between those, Mike Luckovich also did an "OJ in hell" comic which probably just added to the groundhog day feeling.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

It's zero. When you're rich enough, you pay zero taxes. And then when you're really rich, you somehow get a refund on top of paying zero.

Called it.

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

'Palestien'

The fact that there's a spelling error may actually qualify this as the Least lazy Gorrell.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

the_steve posted:

It's zero. When you're rich enough, you pay zero taxes. And then when you're really rich, you somehow get a refund on top of paying zero.

Fun fact: The INGKA Group, which controls about 85% of all IKEA stores worldwide, has its global headquarters in my medium-sized Dutch city. I pass by it almost every day:

It's not the whole building, or even a floor. It's a single office lot just so they can say that their global headquarters are in The Netherlands for tax purposes.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

=

Who's currently killing all the people in palestine palestien?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Of all the stupid poo poo posted in here, this quietly became a sleeper contender for the most tedious, drawn out, say-nothing cartoon that exists.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

'Palestien'

As always, he's not angry that they're doing it. He's angry that he's not allowed to.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

some kinda jackal posted:

Of all the stupid poo poo posted in here, this quietly became a sleeper contender for the most tedious, drawn out, say-nothing cartoon that exists.

Quietly? We've been screaming from the mountaintops for years that PC is the TV static of politoons.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Skios posted:

Gary Varvel

This guy has to be trying for most opposite of reality with those drones

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

the_steve posted:

Quietly? We've been screaming from the mountaintops for years that PC is the TV static of politoons.

Hard to hear over Stantis's voice, which is kshhhhshshhshshshshshshshshshshshshshshhshshssh.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Ambitious Spider posted:

Who's currently killing all the people in palestine palestien?

He's still on that "all Muslims want to murder gay people and do so at every opportunity, so you should be glad we suffer your kind to live" kick. Blast from the past (haven't seen one of these about Palestine since October, I think?) or is the RWM apparatus coming back around to this one yet again?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

the_steve posted:

I've been wondering: if you could feed all of Stantis' cartoons into a diffusion model and use it to generate random cartoons would anyone even be able to tell apart the real and the fake thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Clerical Terrors posted:

I've been wondering: if you could feed all of Stantis' cartoons into a diffusion model and use it to generate random cartoons would anyone even be able to tell apart the real and the fake thing?

No, but to be fair, if Stantis accidentally submitted three blank panels for every comic for a week, would you be able to tell?