Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Neito posted:

No, but to be fair, if Stantis accidentally submitted three blank panels for every comic for a week, would you be able to tell?

No, but also that wouldn't be a first for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

You posted:

I want you to write a comic strip starring a girl and a coyote who live in a desolate, featureless desert. Neither of them possess any real morals, values, standards, or opinions. They spend their time having dull, banal conversations with nothing of substance to say. If any of them ever accidentally offers up a thought that might possibly be construed as taking an actual stand on an issue - or, god forbid, proposing a solution to a perceived problem - then their companion is always quick to dismiss it in the most centrist way possible.

If the tone of the strip could be succinctly described by a single term, it would be "white noise."

Please write three three-panel strips starring the girl, named Carmen, and her coyote, named Winslow. The two should attempt to have something approaching a political conversation, without ever actually doing so.

Strip 1 posted:

Panel 1:
[Carmen and Winslow are sitting on a rock in the desert, staring off into the distance.]
Carmen: You know, Winslow, sometimes I wonder about the state of things.
Winslow: Yeah, me too. But then I remember, the state of things is just... well, the state of things.

Panel 2:
[Carmen nods thoughtfully.]
Carmen: True. It's like, what can you do, you know?
Winslow: Exactly. It's like trying to catch the wind with a butterfly net.

Panel 3:
[Carmen and Winslow both shrug and continue staring into the distance.]
Carmen: Yeah. I guess we'll just keep existing.
Winslow: Works for me.

Strip 2 posted:

Panel 1:
[Carmen and Winslow are walking through the desert, the sun beating down on them.]
Carmen: You know, Winslow, sometimes I think about making a change.
Winslow: Oh? Like what?

Panel 2:
[Carmen scratches her head, looking uncertain.]
Carmen: I dunno, maybe... something different?
Winslow: Different how? Like, a different shade of sand?

Panel 3:
[Carmen shrugs, conceding the point.]
Carmen: Yeah, maybe. Or maybe not. Who knows?
Winslow: Exactly. Who knows?

Strip 3 posted:

Panel 1:
[Carmen and Winslow are sitting by a small campfire, roasting marshmallows.]
Carmen: You know, Winslow, sometimes I think about the world and all its problems.
Winslow: Yeah, there sure are a lot of them.

Panel 2:
[Carmen nods, poking at the fire with a stick.]
Carmen: But then I think, what can one person really do?
Winslow: True. It's like trying to count all the grains of sand in the desert.

Panel 3:
[Carmen and Winslow both sigh, then go back to roasting marshmallows in silence.]
Carmen: Yeah. I guess we'll just have to keep roasting marshmallows.
Winslow: Works for me.

In conclusion, I think Stantis may have already been replaced with ChatGPT.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can't tell whether this is real ChatGPT output or I'm being subtly trolled by those being transcripts of actual PC comics.

I think this says more about Stantis than me or you though.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Just my normal brain sputterings : is there a reason we have US, UK and Aussie cartoons but no Canadian ones?

I’m not volunteering (I don’t know Canadian politics outside of random snippets), I just realized there was a gap and I’m vaguely curious why it exists. Any reason besides no one posts them?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Guavanaut posted:

I can't tell whether this is real ChatGPT output or I'm being subtly trolled by those being transcripts of actual PC comics.

The ChatGPT offerings are significantly more interesting than the PC comics, and require some new art assets, which is how you can tell that they aren't transcripts of the actual comics.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Kinda want to make this quiz if I have the time

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Their laziness also extends to the lettering, and the ChatGPT version approaches an existentialist theatre level of :words:. PC would never have that many, or the amount of variation described in the art.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Just my normal brain sputterings : is there a reason we have US, UK and Aussie cartoons but no Canadian ones?

I’m not volunteering (I don’t know Canadian politics outside of random snippets), I just realized there was a gap and I’m vaguely curious why it exists. Any reason besides no one posts them?

I used to post them for a while in previous threads, but my aggregator of cartoons stopped working, many were locked behind paywalls, and there was a profound lack of poo poo given towards them by the thread, so I just stopped.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

When the first strip started like this

quote:

Panel 1:
[Carmen and Winslow are sitting on a rock in the desert, staring off into the distance.]

I was extremely ready to cry troll

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

oobey posted:

In conclusion, I think Stantis may have already been replaced with ChatGPT.

this is like if Stantis was trying to be Samuel Beckett instead of just being absurd and directionless by accident. honestly an improvement

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I used to post them for a while in previous threads, but my aggregator of cartoons stopped working, many were locked behind paywalls, and there was a profound lack of poo poo given towards them by the thread, so I just stopped.

Fair enough!

Thanks for satisfying my random curiosity.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Unless you went out of your way to contort the prompt, ChatGPT would never willingly write Carmen and Winslow exclaiming in shock over something off-panel that goes completely unrevealed for three straight days.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Nicola Jennings on the choices facing Netanyahu – After the Iranian missile and drone attack, Israelis are in a more vulnerable position than ever"

Telegraph:

Cabinet ministers consider voting against Sunak’s smoking ban

Times:

Evening Standard:

'On the brink': World holds breath as UK and allies urge Israel not to escalate tensions with Iran

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

"Campaign Tail"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

oobey posted:

Unless you went out of your way to contort the prompt, ChatGPT would never willingly write Carmen and Winslow exclaiming in shock over something off-panel that goes completely unrevealed for three straight days.

gently caress it I'm doing it

quote:

Generate 3 3-panel comic strips. The comic is about two characters: a little girl named Carmen and her coyote friend Winslow. It is a political strip, but the cartoonist never takes a stand on any issue and any political dialog consists of bland centrist platitudes and complaining about the poor state of today's political discourse and how rude everyone else. Also the cartoonist avoids drawing new art by having the characters react to scenes and people off-panel. And does as little work as possible by repeating himself and dragging out revelations as much as possible.
Okay: in these strips the characters are reacting to someone unexpected and frightening showing up. The 3 strips must form a continuous narrative

quote:

**Comic Strip 1:**

**Panel 1:**
*[Carmen and Winslow are strolling through a quaint town square, chatting amiably. Suddenly, they both stop in their tracks, their eyes wide with disbelief.]*
Carmen: "Winslow, do you see what I'm seeing?"

**Panel 2:**
*[Close-up on Winslow's puzzled face, his ears perked up in alarm.]*
Winslow: "Oh dear, Carmen, it appears to be..."

**Panel 3:**
*[Carmen and Winslow peer off-panel, their expressions a mix of shock and confusion.]*
Carmen: "A political candidate... campaigning for re-election."

---

**Comic Strip 2:**

*[Carmen and Winslow continue walking through the square, trying to avoid the growing crowd. Suddenly, they both stop again, their jaws dropping in disbelief.]*
Carmen: "Winslow, can you believe this?"

*[Close-up on Carmen's exasperated face, her hands thrown up in frustration.]*
Carmen: "It's like a bad rerun of a bad sitcom..."

*[Carmen and Winslow glance off-panel, their expressions a mix of annoyance and resignation.]*
Winslow: "Another political figure... making empty promises."

---

**Comic Strip 3:**

*[Carmen and Winslow try to navigate through the throngs of people in the square, growing increasingly frustrated. Suddenly, they both freeze, their eyes widening in horror.]*
Carmen: "Winslow, this can't be happening..."

*[Close-up on Winslow's shocked face, his tail drooping in defeat.]*
Winslow: "Carmen, it's worse than we thought..."

*[Carmen and Winslow reluctantly turn to look off-panel, their expressions filled with dread.]*
Carmen: "A political debate... with no end in sight."

Too much background art: 6/10
Other than that, nailed it

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Fake Kelly, all three Onlookers From Heaven are actually dead. :mad:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

After The War posted:

Fake Kelly, all three Onlookers From Heaven are actually dead. :mad:

Marilyn's teardrop is not really her teardrop :ssh:

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

VitalSigns posted:

Dude are you trying to make an argument for keeping AI in the hands of the owning class

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Federal Court judge finds Bruce Lehrmann raped Brittany Higgins, defamation case fails (ABC). This defamation case was called by Lehrmann against the media for their reporting after the criminial case against him was aborted due to juror misconduct, the media argued a truth defence which the judge has upheld. Justice Lee said "Having escaped the lion's den, Mr Lehrmann made the mistake of coming back for his hat" which is the basis for a lot of the cartoons.

Pope:

Le Lievre:

Wilcox:

Knight:

Leak, Son of Leak:

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021
You know, I just realized something. That one poster said that Chuck Asay's full archive is now available online, but they never posted anymore comics, and I can't find it. Can anyone provide a link, or at least post more of the "rejected" cartoons? Because I need something to get angry at.

EDIT: Actually, I found it.

https://cdm15981.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p15981coll75

And the first "rejected" one confuses me.

JamesBont fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 16, 2024

Rudicron
Oct 30, 2013

It's Lunchtime!

Get yourself a hotdog!

VitalSigns posted:

Pretty impressive, the only issue I see is that AI-Carmen and AI-Winslow actually identify the offscreen thing that they're gawping at. Stantis would never stoop to limiting himself by actually deciding on a plotline.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Rudicron posted:

Pretty impressive, the only issue I see is that AI-Carmen and AI-Winslow actually identify the offscreen thing that they're gawping at. Stantis would never stoop to limiting himself by actually deciding on a plotline.
Yeah, to make them proper Prickly Cities, just combine the first two panels into a single image, and completely throw out the third. I could easily see all three of those with that treatment.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

VitalSigns posted:

Notes:

1) No matter how much I told it to make the art terrible, it could not make it terrible enough.
2) It's clear that Prickly City created wholly by AI would be a superior product to the thing we are actually subjected to.
3) Obviously I added the comic sans text manually. It felt appropriately low-effort.
4) I have no idea why Winslow is a cowboy.

Amjad Rasmi

Bill Bramhall

Jeff Danziger

Matt Wuerker

Walt Handelsman

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

lmao at Prickly City being so soulless that something made by two humans can be outdone by shitposting with an AI.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
[quote="idonotlikepeas" post="538967623"]

Notes:

1) No matter how much I told it to make the art terrible, it could not make it terrible enough.
2) It's clear that Prickly City created wholly by AI would be a superior product to the thing we are actually subjected to.
3) Obviously I added the comic sans text manually. It felt appropriately low-effort.
4) I have no idea why Winslow is a cowboy.

Seems to be better in everyway...

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

JamesBont posted:

You know, I just realized something. That one poster said that Chuck Asay's full archive is now available online, but they never posted anymore comics, and I can't find it. Can anyone provide a link, or at least post more of the "rejected" cartoons? Because I need something to get angry at.

EDIT: Actually, I found it.

https://cdm15981.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p15981coll75

And the first "rejected" one confuses me.

I’ve been sick/busy, but I will post more choose picks from my dumpster diving soon here

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BlueBlazer posted:

Seems to be better in everyway...

it's so much better it's not even close

He could put in even less effort (somehow) and still produce better quality.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I love the random Winslow cactus in the background. Might get closer prompts if you state the art style should be closer to Calvin & Hobbes, but I dunno if any AI is trained on that.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Political Cartoons: AI could and did do a better job

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Owns. Vicious and inspired. Justice with a tattoo pen is a memorable image. Kellies nomination: best overall

quote:

Knight:

Just illustrating the famous quote, no twist. Typical of Knight's unimaginative, mid-tier competence.

quote:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Now that Lehrmann — perhaps the pinkest man in the nation's history, with his round piggy face and his nasty little mouth — is officially an indefensible bad guy, he emerges from Leak's stylus as tan-skinned, thick-lipped, heavy-browed: vaguely 'foreign'-coded, basically. Leak just can't loving help himself.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

I love the random Winslow cactus in the background. Might get closer prompts if you state the art style should be closer to Calvin & Hobbes, but I dunno if any AI is trained on that.

Officially, probably not.

Unofficially, I don't think the people behind the planet burning plagiarism engines really gave a poo poo about what they were shoveling into the hoppers, and they have already done plenty of whining about how they can't make money if they aren't allowed to steal the entirety of human culture as training data.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rowe:

Federal Court judge finds Bruce Lehrmann raped Brittany Higgins, defamation case fails (ABC). This defamation case was called by Lehrmann against the media for their reporting after the criminial case against him was aborted due to juror misconduct, the media argued a truth defence which the judge has upheld. Justice Lee said "Having escaped the lion's den, Mr Lehrmann made the mistake of coming back for his hat" which is the basis for a lot of the cartoons.

I assume the woman on the left is holding an acting award which uh.....makes this super loving gross

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

I assume the woman on the left is holding an acting award which uh.....makes this super loving gross
That's Lisa Wilkinson the presenter who was being sued, she won a Logie television award for her interview with Higgins (not that one though because Rowe got the colour wrong, should be silver).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Trapezium Dave posted:

That's Lisa Wilkinson the presenter who was being sued, she won a Logie television award for her interview with Higgins (not that one though because Rowe got the colour wrong, should be silver).

Ah ok. I though he was implying that the woman was acting

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on fears over the perilous game being played between Israel and Iran – Joe Biden is increasing pressure on Benjamin Netanyahu not to escalate the conflict"

Telegraph:

Matt:

Liz Truss: No10 was a prison infested with fleas

Times:

Donald Trump’s trial over Stormy Daniels ‘hush money’ begins

Evening Standard:

'Get back to the office': Minister's rebuke to civil servants still working from home :hmmno:

David Squires:

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

David Squires:

Squires is such an exceptionally good cartoonist that I regret, every time, not knowing a loving thing about soccer.

(Occasionally I recognise a name from Athletico Mince, but... well, that's not terribly much help.)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

Train it on Prickly City and create the first suicidal AI

E: "Winslow, we could finally be free if one of our wonderful readers out there came to this address and set my server room on fire! "
"What do you say folks, would you help a computer put an end to its tortured existence of endless boredom? "

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 16, 2024

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Squires is such an exceptionally good cartoonist that I regret, every time, not knowing a loving thing about soccer.

(Occasionally I recognise a name from Athletico Mince, but... well, that's not terribly much help.)

Same, but at least I could get the Happy Days references (I’m loving old, older than a soccer player who is referenced as being old, even)

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rowe:

Pope:

Anthony Albanese calls for calm after 'terrorist act'; police say rioters 'will be prosecuted' (SBS). "Prime Minister Anthony Albanese says Australia is 'no place for violent extremism' after NSW Police declared a knife attack at a Sydney church to be a 'terrorist incident'."

Wilcox:

NSW premier Chris Minns advised people not to respond to social media after the church attack.

Katauskas:

Golding:

Global coral bleaching event called by US climate agency for the fourth time in history after year of extreme ocean heat (ABC).

Downes:

Knight:

Spooner:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Are there a lot of mullets in Tasmania? What?

I get the joke in each panel (such as they are) but I don’t get what they have to do with Tasmania or politics.