Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Worst "Why Are We Even Friends?"

Kellies Nomination: Worst "Wait, they were singing about us this whole time?"

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

the_steve posted:

Kellies Nomination: Worst "Wait, they were singing about us this whole time?"

What are the libs going to take from us next? Upbeat patriotic song ‘Born in the USA’?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

'Art should not be political' says man who's job is to make political art.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

IPlayVideoGames posted:

What are the libs going to take from us next? Upbeat patriotic song ‘Born in the USA’?

The great hit inspiring the brave troops in 'nam, "Fortunate Son" :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Alhazred posted:

'Art should not be political' says man who's job is to make political art.
It's even dumber than that, it's the "punk is establishment now, which makes conservatism the new punk rock" poo poo they've been trying for decades, as if the 'elites' that the oldschool anarchists were railing against were the people building water pumps and providing cholera vaccines, rather than the system of capital-aristocracy.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

A Snakes and Ladders gag in TYOL 2024. gently caress me this dude’s old.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Guavanaut posted:

It's even dumber than that, it's the "punk is establishment now, which makes conservatism the new punk rock" poo poo they've been trying for decades, as if the 'elites' that the oldschool anarchists were railing against were the people building water pumps and providing cholera vaccines, rather than the system of capital-aristocracy.

I can never see that, or anything analogous to that line, without thinking of that Adam4D comic where his woman mouthpiece talks about how being a submissive tradwife is the true modern feminist ideal.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Mokotow posted:

It always bothered me it's called "Shoots and ladders" and not "Chutes and ladders".

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Andy Marlette

Chip Bok

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Steve Breen

Tom Stiglich

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mokotow posted:

It's lame but waaaay less hateful than his usual work.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kikas posted:

It always bothered me it's called "Shoots and ladders" and not "Chutes and ladders".

In Norway it's just called ladders.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Famous supervillain, Superman (Yes, I'm aware of Injustice)
There needs to be a Kellies category for stuff like this but I'm not sure what to call it. Often it shows up as Santa bad.
e: Kellies nomination: Are we the baddies?

L. Ron DeSantis fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 4, 2024

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Skios posted:

Gary Varvel

Hilarious from the people that were chanting "STOP THE COUNT" in 2020.

Also, I'm on my phone right now, so when I first saw this, I thought the guy was doing the Nazi salute. ...any chance someone could edit this?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kikas posted:

Not in my experience. The game is Chutes and Ladders whenever I've seen it.

But there's a KoRn song called "Shoots and Ladders"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
No game is safe from Edition Wars. :(

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

the_steve posted:

I can never see that, or anything analogous to that line, without thinking of that Adam4D comic where his woman mouthpiece talks about how being a submissive tradwife is the true modern feminist ideal.

Might as well put that one here again, since it feels wrong for the thread not to be cursed with it:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Still can't get over "full Joan of Arc"

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Still can't get over "full Joan of Arc"

I feel like we've talked about it in this thread before, but it is really telling that the last woman whose anger feels justified enough for him to cite lived six hundred years ago.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

so close dude, you'll get one of these to actually scan some day i believe in you

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

All other comments aside, this is just the worst and most forced attempt at jokes. Just absolutely dull and completely lacking in cleverness, and I don't even know how someone turns "American Idiot" - a song angry at Republican voters in 2002 - into "MAGA Idiot" and thinks they are somehow being funny, clever, or even saying anything about Green Day that they don't already wear on their sleeve.

I know we usually reserve these for cartoons that push forward the worst opinions in the worst ways, but this is just such a failure of humor and intent that I'm putting in Kellies nomination: Worst overall

Edit: also, "Transgender" is an adjective, not a noun, you can't put a comma after it in a list what the gently caress even is that

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It doesn't help that he's not even trying to remix the titles, he's just... tacking poo poo onto them until it's a "joke". Like, "Good Riddance" has three times as many more words added

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

skeleton warrior posted:

Edit: also, "Transgender" is an adjective, not a noun, you can't put a comma after it in a list what the gently caress even is that
It's a play (to the same humorless degree as the rest) on Sex, Drugs & Rock 'n' Roll.

Punk is boring and elitist now because they support vaccines and trans rights, as opposed to the cool conservative guys who support sex and drugs (and dying of any easily avoided consequences of them).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Green Day has been doing this since at least the W Bush era and chuds are just now noticing?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

All other comments aside, this is just the worst and most forced attempt at jokes. Just absolutely dull and completely lacking in cleverness, and I don't even know how someone turns "American Idiot" - a song angry at Republican voters in 2002 - into "MAGA Idiot" and thinks they are somehow being funny, clever, or even saying anything about Green Day that they don't already wear on their sleeve.

This one bit is actually a reference to something Green Day did recently, which was the impetus for the cartoon: https://www.billboard.com/music/rock/green-day-tweak-donald-trump-american-idiot-lyric-new-years-rockin-eve-1235574448/

That doesn't make it less stupid, mind, just figured the context might be interesting for some folks.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Wow, maybe slow down before accusing another country’s fiat currency of being fake debtboy.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

skeleton warrior posted:

article from usa today

quote:

During a televised performance on Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest, Green Day changed the lyrics in one of their most popular songs to criticize former President Donald Trump.

Frontman Billie Joe Armstrong altered “American Idiot” lyrics from "I'm not a part of a redneck agenda" to "I'm not a part of the MAGA agenda."

It’s not the first time the band has taken jabs against the politician. Their first major performance of the anti-MAGA version happened in 2019 at the iHeartRadio Music Festival in Las Vegas, according to Billboard

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Larryb posted:

Green Day has been doing this since at least the W Bush era and chuds are just now noticing?

He is "The Establishment" Any impact he had on broader Republican policy during the Trump era is a lie made up to make Trump look bad.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Larryb posted:

I don't know why you're surprised. These dumbfucks have the media literacy of a moldy turnip. Remember, "Born in the USA" is about how the system will chew up the working man and spit him out in the gutter to die, and Reagan made it his loving election anthem!

And then proceeded to prove the song right.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Are conservatives really shocked about Green Day just now? They've been doing this since the W.Bush years with songs like "American Idiot" and "Holiday".

Also, it's very funny how they were supporting songs like "Try That in a Small Town" last year to "trigger da libz", but cry foul when a left-leaning song comes out. Imagine if Bruce Springsteen came out with "Born in the USA" now.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Larryb posted:

See also: Their shocked Pikachu face at Rage Against the Machine and Twisted Sister.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

skeleton warrior posted:

It's a (dehumanizing) noun to them, just like "illegal," which means we can add "failure to use serial comma" to the list of lovely things about this cartoon.

EDIT - Also, lol at the vax poo poo when American punk is loving lousy with bioscience geeks. Bad Religion, Offspring, and Descendents are all fronted by loving PhDs.

EDIT EDIT - Okay, Milo's is in organic chem, but still.

EDIT EDIT EDIT - And those are all SoCal bands, but Green Day's from Berkeley, so... trap sprung, I guess.

After The War fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 4, 2024

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JamesBont posted:

Are conservatives really shocked about Green Day just now? They've been doing this since the W.Bush years with songs like "American Idiot" and "Holiday".

They were offended by Green Day back then too, they just get dopamine hits from constant outrage so they never ever get over anything.

Except for the ones who were young and apolitical in the Bush years and became Republicans since, they might be finding out just now that a band from their childhood was singing about people like them back then.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

JamesBont posted:

Also, it's very funny how they were supporting songs like "Try That in a Small Town" last year to "trigger da libz", but cry foul when a left-leaning song comes out.

Yeah, they act like they "finally" get to do what liberal media is "always" doing.

They act like that every time. Must be great to have such an easy group to market to.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ella Baron on Storm Henk and Britain’s political wind of change – High winds have battered a country that’s looking increasingly likely to go to the polls this year"

Telegraph:

Reform UK rules out election pact with Tories; Luke Littler's dream dies in defeat by Luke Humphries in sensational world darts final

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Rishi Sunak eyes autumn general election as he scotches talk of a May poll

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Guavanaut posted:

It's not new or surprising but it blows my loving mind every time I see people like this acting like trans people are (or are even supported by) "the establishment" in any loving sense. They're so deep in their imagined persecution that even marginalized groups that are getting almost daily hate-legislation proposed against them are somehow "the establishment" while conservatives themselves, clinging to centuries of traditional backing, sucking off billionaire elites and corporate doctrines, are clearly the plucky little rebels.

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

drat, your political opponent faced legal action? Just because they were your political opponent, right??
Oh, it's because they committed a ton of crimes? Hm.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Pavlidis:

This is about the 2003 decision to join the US in the Iraq War, as the cabinet papers have been released (or will be released in regards to the ones the Morrison government stuffed up).

Le Lievre:

Knight:

Leak, Son of Leak:

This is a jab at Australia not sending a warship to the Red Sea.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vib Rib posted:

It's not new or surprising but it blows my loving mind every time I see people like this acting like trans people are (or are even supported by) "the establishment" in any loving sense. They're so deep in their imagined persecution that even marginalized groups that are getting almost daily hate-legislation proposed against them are somehow "the establishment" while conservatives themselves, clinging to centuries of traditional backing, sucking off billionaire elites and corporate doctrines, are clearly the plucky little rebels.

drat, your political opponent faced legal action? Just because they were your political opponent, right??
Oh, it's because they committed a ton of crimes? Hm.

That's because in massively popular media like Star Wars and the like, the plucky rebels are the cool good guys.

I can all but promise you, if George Lucas had done Star Wars from the Empire's point of view, those same chuds would be talking about the Rebellion the same way they do the Vietnamese/Arabs in a war movie starring a white guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

It is absolutely one of the most interesting things about conservatives. Despite everything, they must at all times maintain the delusion that they are oppressed outsiders (while simultaneously representing a majority). Part of it is that they believe their positions are not just right, but self-evidently and obviously right, and that the solution to every problem is simple if you approach it with common sense. (Where, of course, "common sense" is always defined as "the most conservative position possible"). So if the conservatives had ever been in power, obviously all problems would have been solved; since they haven't, clearly conservatives have never been in power. This is also where the myth of the Deep State came from during the Trump presidency; they had to come up with something to explain why the country wasn't just immediately fixed as soon as conservatives had control of the government.