Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

JamesBont posted:

Is Mike Smith trying to be the Bizzaro world version of David M. Hitch?

I'm glad you brought this up because he does this all the goddamn time.

time for a compilation!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Looks like you already know how to read

Gotcha!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
That's not a China Daily cartoon. I can tell because there's no anthropomorphised globe looking on with a worried/sad expression

Also the spigot isn't wearing a red and blue top hat

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

logger posted:

The Democratic Party blocks illegal ballot boxes even though it helps their opposition. Average person not happy they are helping fascists. AGC

Polling booth that somehow encourages voters to vote for a specific candidate - in contravention of electioneering rules - has been appropriately cordoned off by democracy-protecting Democrats. AGC

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

the_steve posted:

It's fun to remember that Kirschen hated this comic and threatened legal action against whoever made it.
Which of course went nowhere since he had no legal leg to stand on.

Surprised he bothered going the legal route and didn't just start bombing apartment blocks until the cartoon stopped

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Open Boreders :dumbbravo:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

Jesus loving Christ.

Goddrat

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Discendo Vox posted:

Quoting that to go with the nomination. Also I'm using the holiday to process 2023 nominees. Pray for mojo (and bless microplastics).

Let me know how it's going! I still haven't got around to implementing the "list and format all the nominees in vbcode" code yet, but if it's not too late for this year I can probably whip something up in the next week?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm surprised that cartoon is getting absolutely zero engagement on his twitter account but then again maybe that just shows how little anyone gives a poo poo about Dry Bones

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

InsertPotPun posted:

yeah, there's something horrible just off screen

A Rall comic

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Makes uri fink

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Are these two things supposed to be related? I've been staring at this for far too long trying to connect them

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

lmao of course Branco sees that picture of Trump awkwardly hugging a flag for no reason as an inspiring beacon of patriotism on par with a Jon McNaughton painting

Speaking of Jon McNaughton, surely his poo poo counts as political cartoon? I mean it's basically just a Kelly, but in oil on canvas

Unfortunately it's surprisingly difficult to know when he actually paints them. He reposts them to twitter years later, and his website doesn't actually give dates. Infuriating.

But I don't care, i'm gonna post a couple. He posted this to his twitter on 5 Jan

Great RINOs

the description for this one is a loving poem :jerkbag:

quote:

A species in the wild
It rises above the rest
The pompous stilted cunning
For the globalist success.

It’s mighty horn will poke you
Where the light can never shine
Will go to war for glory
And leave us all behind.

A crash is made of many
Who hide behind the votes
The sneaky little devils
Wearing finely pressed turncoats.

If I was on safari
And following a map
I would simply track their signs
By looking for the crap.

America is hurting
Our fruited plain is dry
The RINOs have abandoned us
And will not even try.

When history has found you
Looking back as if it knows
The Republican Party blew it
Choosing traitorous RINOs.

This from 12 Jan

The Empowered Man

quote:

There is something simmering deep inside the soul of all Americans. We want to know that we are a free people; that the government acknowledges our individual rights; that fiscal responsibility is an absolute requirement. We want our presidents and politicians to mean what they say when they take the oath of office .to defend the Constitution of the United States!

Do we have freedom when half the country pays taxes to support the other half? Do we have freedom when government regulates every aspect of our lives?

Do we have freedom when our currency is controlled by a corporationthat has no accountability to the American people?

Do we have freedom when we have more debt than can possibly be repaid?

The government bureaucracy is to a point where it is no longer worth what the tax payer is required to maintain it. I wonder how many Americans realize they have sold our God given freedoms for a mess of pottage

I hope everyone will see themselves as the Empowered Man. It makes no difference whether you are a man or woman, how old you are, or the color of your skin. You must decide to no longer be silent, to get off your bench, pick up that Constitution and hold it high in the air as a standard for the world to see. Don t hold back! Don t be silent! You are the future of this nation and without YOU, the American dream will perish.

long time fans of McNaughton will recognise this as the sequel to this absolute classic:

The Forgotten Man

quote:

This historic image was painted by Jon McNaughton in 2011 in response to the passing of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare). During the 2016 election the painting gained additional interest as Americans united to defeat Hillary Clinton. On the day of the election, Sean Hannity spoke of the significance of this painting and how it would take the forgotten men and women of America to rise up and save America. That night, as Donald Trump gave his acceptance speech he noted that because of the Forgotten Men and Women of America he was standing as the new President of the United States. The day after the election Sean Hannity purchased the original painting and publicly stated that this was the election of the "Forgotten Man."

i might do some digging to find out when he actually painted these.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Skios posted:

Steve Breen

That doesn't even look like an A. And even if it did, what a horribly contrived joke.

Kellies nomination: Laziest joke

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

I dont know posted:

Also, nice copy and paste work on the signature, Bok.

Lmao

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

M.c.P posted:

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Race)

gently caress off to hell, Al.

I think we should just go with "most racist", "most transphobic" etc because let's face it... they're not trying to conceal it any more

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Caught in the middle by Luo Jie

Well at least the USA won't drown

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Pedro X. Molina

Kellies nomination: Laziest joke, Laziest art (non-Gorrell)

The gently caress is this? This is not a political cartoon :psyduck:

Kellies nomination: Laziest joke (there literally isn't one) message? Laziest message? I mean it's not even clear what the guy reading the paper is thinking about it.

And this can just gently caress off

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 21, 2024

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Ok fair point, I'll give you that.

But even in that particular subgenre of political cartoon it lazy. It's just a guy reading a headline!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

I don't get it but lmao @ that last panel

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

the_steve posted:

Kellies Nomination: Worst "Gizmos! :argh:"

He's right :colbert: (but yeah still a gizmos :argh: cartoon)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Kellies nomination: Worst label

I know this guy is ancient but bloody hell. This could easily have been a newspaper like what every other cartoonist does to indicate a news item, or at the very least a(nother) speech bubble, but no, it's a sign written in first person AND he's signed it with his name AND his signature has a goddamn exclamation mark

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Kellies nomination: Worst use of a metaphor

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Robert (R.J.) Matson

hosed this one up, didn't you?

"get it? because trump ex-lawyers are so few in number!! ahahaha oh wait i meant the opposite"

Kellies nomination: unforced error (did i use that category right?)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Searching for peace by Luo Jie

The world is at peace but doesn't realise it? Good job doofus

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm impressed that that tractor managed to till the asphalt and even bust through the central railing. Terminator poo poo

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
"""I bet that black person's not qualified!" - a white person" - a black person" - a white person

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
All the artistic direction of Dinosaur Comics and none of the comedy

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I don't even get it. Antsense? Anti-sense? Nope, completely lost on me

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Randalor posted:

He's literally just become the dry bones parody comic at this point. Just... outright saying "gently caress it, why aren't we committing genocides?" Does he have social media and has anyone sent him the old comic and asked him if he still stands by it (okay, that's just to see if his brain is tapioca pudding and if he forgot it wasn't his)?

He has a twitter but

Microplastics posted:

I'm surprised that cartoon is getting absolutely zero engagement on his twitter account but then again maybe that just shows how little anyone gives a poo poo about Dry Bones

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

the_steve posted:

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

As what?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Clerical Terrors posted:

He's such a hack writer lmao.

His workday:

* wakes up
* checks nationaldaycalendar.com
* thinks up 'joke' while doing morning poo poo
* texts joke to his artist, while still on toilet. It is 7.40am
* checks bank account and spends the rest of the day laughing uproariously until bedtime

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Don't worry he'll wrap up all these questions by discarding the whole story arc suddenly and distracting everyone with a colourful sunset. Carmen will say something poignant and dogthing will ruin the moment with a throwaway joke and good laughs will be had by all

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Is that supposed to be a star of david

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

I like to think that "Cartoon" is the name of this cartoon, and that's what you've nominated it for

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

fffffffffuuucccckkk yyyyouuuuuuu

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Just for complaining..?

These days, yeah