Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

skeleton warrior posted:

It’s an election year, we’ll figure something out

Edit: also Charlie Kirk has stated that this year they’re going to focus TPUSA on telling everyone what an awful person MLK Jr was and how the 1964 Civil Rights Act should be revealed, so I expect Branco or Varvel is going to jump in that message soon

Jesus that would be doubling down so hard it’d cause an earthquake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Jimmy Margulies

Am I reading this wrong, or is that woman asking him why he’s not drunk at work? It’s pretty bare in terms of set dressing, but I’m getting strong work-break room vibes from the chair and how they’re dressed. They’re clearly not at home : someone who lived with him would have noticed this before halfway through the month, right?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

The cartoonist has no idea how electronic vehicles work

But he sure does hate them.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

It’s wild to draw a bunch of pregnant women looking at a stork that is delivering a baby.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

"Life in the Crass Lane"

He's not wrong. Filing down my fangs has been a huge pain in the rear end since I bought my Bolt.

Luckily I have the time what with never needing to get gas or do a state inspection EVER AGAIN.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

If you read articles about the EVs in recent cold weather, it’s mostly Americans being new to the technology and not taking steps to prepare for the weather. Other, colder countries have higher adoption rates for EVs and aren’t haven’t problems like this.

It’s like not putting antifreeze in your car (yes combustion engines ALSO don’t like the cold) and then saying there’s no way we can transition to these kind of cars due to how bad the winter will be for us.

Yuuuup. Literally just a bunch of people who didn’t know how to operate their new vehicles.

I bought a used EV on Thursday and drove it home from another state. No problems. Then I plugged it into my house.

It loving rules.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Craig K posted:

so, reading up, the tory leadership's play for refugees is

1) ship them to rwanda, 7000 miles away

2) house them on a fifty-year-old floating barge

....yeah kinda beginning to understand how the other guy wins doing nothing, to be honest

I’ve had to look it up a couple of times. It’s just so stupid that I assume I remembered it wrong.

Also to any other Americans : apparently “zombie knife” is big scary knife reminiscent of something out of a post-apocalypse. The bans are another one of those “forbid the scary thing while not thinking about what’s actually dangerous” deals.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Ed Gamble is a more mumblecore kind of bad.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Is Telnaes “good-to-mediocre”? I’d call her “under-appreciated”.

She’s consistently pretty good, occasionally really good, and she has a really unique style and gift for a kind of austere-caricature.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

How am I not surprised that Horsey is the kind of drip that doesn’t like street cars.

Streetcars rule.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I dont know posted:

My favorite from that time period was the guy who argued the border could be easy and cheaply secured by gathering up all the discarded tires in the country and piling them up along the border, several miles deep, 2000 miles long, dozens of feet high. Then just light the whole thing and create the worlds largest tire fire.

That’s a Freep thread classic.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

The opposite

So when's the revolution starting.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I was not expecting to misread not 1 but 2 cartoons as Vladimir Putin railing Tucker Carlson today. Thanks for that, world. I guess.

Also what the gently caress is this NEMO person.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

It certainly seems like they had a reference, so wtf happened

Stiglich didn’t know which side was up. It’s not wrong per se, you’d just have to standing on your head (and be left handed) to play it.

Which is still insane because pick guards aren’t exactly baroque, alien technology, but at least we know what kind of dumb happened.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Whenever I find out a political cartoonist is much more artistically capable than I thought, I like to imagine they’re sandbagging it because they’re trying to solve serial killings in their off time.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Byzantine posted:

Adam Zyglis' version of the GOP elephant haunts my dreams and I kinda wish he would put less effort in there.

Have you imagined what it would sound like yet? That made it a lot worse for me.

No lips so it’s just gonna be a breathy, wet rasp of teeth and tongue.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I hope “running choko vines over outdoor dunnies” is as magical as it sounds to me.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

That poster on the wall is loving terrifying. Both the idea of having a poster of yourself and his creepy, dead-eyed stare.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I hate Rivers and don’t want him to get any credit for it, but that melted Garrison Keillor dude refusing sex to instead eat some cheerios is legit funny.

The dumb conspiracy poo poo sometimes crosses over into accidental dadaism.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hostile V posted:

So I'm lurking just to watch this trashfire as a trans woman who used to read this comic and now revels in this motherfucker's misery but I just want to say as someone who read a ton of old webcomics that were contemporary to this one: congrats on, somehow, managing to do a worse take of "literally retelling LOTR" than Least I Could Do did.

Post avatar combo. I’d recognize Jon Allison’s style anywhere.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

Is this a Beast of Exmoor reference? I wasn't really expecting that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The concept of an orc with a backhoe needs to be in a better comic. It doesn't deserve this.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

New demonym for Dutch just dropped, freeing that up to use for actual Dutchlanders.

I've been calling them "Hollish" for years.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The guy in the back wearing a pair of shoes but also holding one shoe is pretty great.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Split the second pair with Lady Liberty

O I assumed he split it with the other guy in the back holding a shoe.

Don’t forget the eagle’s wearing shoes!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I finally figured out what the Times' Trump caricature reminds me of. He looks like the goblins from the Rankin and Bass The Hobbit :

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I would honestly love to hear Trump try to summarize the relationship between China and Taiwan. Just a neutral description of what’s been going on there.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

Pedro X. Molina

Pia Guerra

I just want to put these together because they’re like a goofus and gallant for how to use a visual metaphor.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Ah, the old portraying someone you hate as Frankenstein's monster. Can't believe Ed Gamble would stoop to... what?
Oh, carry on then.

Every time one of these fuckers does that they might as well be complaining about people smoking “jazz cigarettes” for how relatable they are. It’s a visual metaphor that sort of fossilized and is almost opaque to a modern viewer. Frankenstein’s monster hasn’t really been portrayed as seriously scary since when my dad was a kid ; The Munsters had a legally distinct comedy dad monster 60 years ago.

These political cartoons legit belong in a museum. It’s just not an art museum.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

In "fairness" to Tina don't most Haitians also speak French? And would presumably not be speaking Creole to the white people they're cooking. It's still racist as hell but that's the least of the problems with this cartoon and rant. That said having lived in both NYC and Florida I've seen a bunch of signs in Haitian Creole so I'm not an authority on this question.

So you're brushing up against a really complex question, because language is a lot more complex than you realize unless you think about it a lot. I happen to have some degrees in it that aren't being used for anything else and not much else to do on a Friday night, so I thought I'd try to answer your question. Or at least reframe it in a more nuanced way.

So you probably haven't thought very much about what a language actually, you know, is. "English" means something very different from something like "dog". With "dog" I could go grab a bunch of dogs and show them to you, point to it and say, "these are dogs" ; in theory we could collectively as a species gather up all the dogs in the world in one place as a handy reference for what "dog" means*. (This is usually deemed inadvisable.)

A language isn't a concrete object you can pick up and hold or cut apart or touch. It's the ability to communicate with other people via a specific system ; you don't know Japanese, you know how to Japanese at someone so they understand you and you can understand when they Japanese back at you. When you know how to speak a given language, you're a member of a speech community the catch-all term for anything from ASL to Mandarin to 1337 h4x0rz sp33k that has communication inside a group but not outsiders. It encompasses words like "dialect" or "language" or "slang" or "regionalism" : those can all be speech communities. So when you say something like, "John speaks French," the meaning could be (weirdly and) academically rephrased as, "John belongs to the speech community of French speakers." You're asserting that you could go find a random francophone in the wild and John would be able to have a (probably kind of awkward, considering) conversation with them.

Now because membership in groups is always something that humans are going to make messy, there can be charged disagreements about what counts as being part of a speech community. My undergraduate syntax professor had a great story for this so I'm just going to steal it : he and his wife did their honeymoon europassing through the Balkans and over the course of that he'd picked up some semi-tolerable Croatian (as one does) ; at some point they were riding a night train getting drunk with a bunch of Serbian soldiers (who hasn't) : it wasn't until hours later (and a lot of booze) that it suddenly got extremely tense when they realized they weren't speaking the "same" language.

There's also the inverse where people get lumped into the same nominal speech community but can't actually communicate. Most so-called dialects of Chinese and Arabic (to pick two prominent examples) are not mutually intelligible without great effort and/or education, they're grouped together for a complex set of political/religious/identity reasons with there being a nominal """""standard""""" form that can be used by people who don't share a variety otherwise.

So what we have is the actual ability of people to communicate, a real phenomenon we can see in the world and get people to show us they can do, and a complex series of labels that are going to get mediated by all the normal lovely human stuff. Far too many folks don't want those people in their speech community ; they speak the bad kind of language unlike this group who speak the right kind of language They want to use language as a way to punch down, just like they use everything else**

Further complicating this is the nature of Haitian Creole and creole languages in general. A creole language, in technical linguistics terms, (which Haitian happens to be, thankfully***) is a fully developed communicative form with native speakers that has evolved from a pidgin. A pidgin, again as a linguistics term, is a severely reduced form of language lacking complex syntactic forms and vocabulary used as a temporary means of communication under duress : these aren't just not "real" languages because your 5th grade English teacher was racist, they're fundamentally missing giant chunks of the stuff that makes a language a language and they’re fleeting, never having any native speakers. Sometimes they come into being for relatively benign reasons like trade (Russonorsk was a pidgin used by Russian and Norwegian traders a century and change ago), but lot of them are from slavery and war and all the other not-fun reasons why people suddenly need to communicate. Creole languages are what happens when children are raised only being exposed to a pidgin and make a new language out of it****.

But we’re still talking about speech communities here! There isn’t some abstract HAITIAN concept floating out there telling people how to speak, it’s a label for what people are doing. And like all people, they’re going to vary based on a lot of things. They actually vary a lot in how “French-like” they are based around how much those slaves talked to other slaves or native French speakers. And the same speaker can speak Haitian differently by adjusting the little internal dial on how “French-like” they’re being for a variety of social reasons.

So when you ask, “Are they speaking French or Haitian Creole?”, what you’re asking for is a political judgment based off of demonstration of a larger, more complex communicative ability.

*You might scoff at this meaning of "dog" and instead want something like "small to medium sized animal, fur, walks on four legs, says, 'woof', licks own balls". That's very natural and you'd find a version of it in the dictionary, mostly like sans ball-licking. But what you're doing here is describing the meaning, as if you were trying to teach someone the meaning, which is distinct from the actual meaning. If some horrible string of freak accidents were to leave a dog hairless and/or mute and/or ball-less and/or reptialian, we wouldn't be able to graph its level of "dogitude" across the interval ; the state of being a dog is binary and seems to involve some kind of abstract membership in the class of dogs. A loooooooot of formal semantics is using mathematical set theory to model how natural speech works. It's really cool.

**Language can also of course be used in many positive ways but jesus christ do you see how long this post is getting

***Many languages that are technically creoles have the word "pidgin" in their names and many pidgins have the word "creole" in theirs ; it's incredibly annoying.

****I’m summarizing the central question of an entire academic sub-discipline in one sentence, don’t put anything load-bearing on this.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

Christopher Weyant

Kellies Nomination : Most incomprehensible

Specifically, I completely understand what they’re saying but they’ve chosen the most convoluted way to depict it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I don’t even know where to start with the Johnny Quest comic.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

skeleton warrior posted:

At how it has Trump as a defeated petulantly posing child, doing nothing but griping, and yet Garrison is trying to imply he’s the ultimate hero?

At how it has Vivek as Raj because both brown har har har?

At how, at heart, it’s just a completely petulant tantrum by Garrison about how January 6th should have worked even as he’s said over and over again it was an FBI setup?

Sure but also why are you referencing Johnny Quest in Anno Domotherfucker 2024.

I had to explain that reference to people my age when The Venture Bros. did it 15 years ago.

Also the kid’s name was Hadji, which is pretty yikes in retrospect. I mean, all of it is pretty yikes but I don’t think about Johnny Quest that often these days, see above.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

wizzardstaff posted:

Mike Pence = Race Bannon was a big right-wing meme from 2016-2020. Garrison is very much playing to his audience.

Then I repeat the same question with different years.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Randalor posted:

I mean, if nothing else, Fukushima being the only major nuclear accident in almost 40 years, AND it took a major natural disaster to cause it shows that nuclear isn't the big, bad boogeyman anti-nuclear advocates make it out to be.

Am I misreading your post or did you just forget that Chernobyl happened? And Three Mile Island ('79) was within 40 of Fukushima (2011), it just isn't also within 40 of today.

(I'm not an anti-nuclear advocate, but as someone who isn't I care a lot about being honest about the dangers of nuclear power.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

To be fair to First Dog, regardless of his personal feelings about nuclear power (I don't know what they are specifically), upon a re-read, I think that what he's getting at in that comic is that — whether it's rational or irrational — Australians are wary of nuclear power, and thus political unpopularity is another point against the likelihood of nuclear power in Australia being a worthwhile pursuit. Again, the message of the comic is really: Peter Dutton is not even serious about nuclear power. He knows it's not going to happen, and he knows it shouldn't happen anyway, he's just wasting everyone's time and attention because that's his job. And the media indulges him, and isn't that frustrating.

Yes, and sorry to you and everyone else for snarking and generalising a bit. The generalising is, best case scenario, to make the general point I'm making more important than the specific people I'm quoting in order to make it. And the snark comes across probably worse than I intend it (depends who's reading), but I've been online for literally decades now and can probably do better.

Thank you all for reading what I had to say!

To be fair, Australia did lose that little radioactive chit a couple years ago.

We don't know if they'd misplace the nuclear reactor too. They have a history of nuclear negligence.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Am I going crazy/missing something or is 38 years not "almost 40 years"

Not if you’re counting from when Fukushima happened 13 years ago.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Like half of those are just “someone at google had a personal political opinion” lmao.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Lol, look in the loving mirror. This is half your party's entire platform, alongside "gently caress minorities".

Okay so I am an idiot. Better to be stupid than crazy I suppose.

You just didn’t understand me not understanding someone’s mildly ambiguous post. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

lol "driving gasoline cars is more fun so let's not change"

Just to be clear : EVs are actually super fun to drive. My incredibly boring looking hatchback is the zippiest thing I’ve ever driven.

And public charging is pretty much just for emergency top ups. All your actual charging should be at your house, where you just plug the car in at night.

Sorry if I’m a broken record on this, but none of it’s even a little true. It’s maddening.