Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

"Happy New Year to Wisconsin in particular, for some reason" -Clay Bennett

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Only registered members can see post attachments!

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

the_steve posted:

Wasn't Ted calling for people to rise up and take to the streets in his honor when some cops hassled him a couple years ago?

I mean, I know it's Rall and he's a narcissistic hypocrite, but yeah, I always get a chuckle out of "the only moral protest is the one I endorse" when anyone takes that route.

This strip feels especially hypocritical, even by Rall standards, because I recall multiple comics from him lambasting leftists for not taking to the streets to protest Trump or drones or whatever. Seriously, how many comics did he do of overly submissive lefties in a concentration camp trying to politely ask guards to maybe not kill them, or forming action committees to outline a draft proposal condemning prisoner treatment etc?

I'm like 95% sure I saw a comic from him at one point wondering why right wingers weren't even more radical and violent about abortion. Something along the lines of "if you really thought abortion was genocide, why aren't you out there doing absolutely everything in your power to destroy the system?? Violently, just to be clear."

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

I dont know posted:

Huh, I had completely forgotten. In fairness, it's hard to keep track because he will pickup and drop plots arbitrarily, without buildup or resolution. To say nothing of his tendency to reuse the same plot over and over, often with identical "jokes".

But enough about Tatsuya Ishida.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Skios posted:

Gary Markstein

Only registered members can see post attachments!

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

I imagine there's a mold mounted on a wall they're led up to, they accept the new role, and someone high-kicks the back of their head into the mold.

This is my caricature! This caricature was made for me!

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Pants Donkey posted:

At least one cartoonist has to be a big enough nerd to do a Akira Toriyama obit, right?

We’ll never have another shot at a crying Goku

Paging Carlos Latuff. Carlos Latuff, please report to the Politoons thread.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Skios posted:

Gary Varvel

Oh, look, it's that parody cartoon the Ghost of Politoons Thread showed me so many years ago, come to pass just as the grim specter said it would...

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Staluigi posted:

Ah hell yea tatsuya with the great replacement theory

Wonder when he gonna find the time to jump from jewish boogeymen to making DEI cartoons or maybe just going straight to shouting NNNNNNIIIIIIIIIII

Oh, what sad times are these when passing cartoonists can shout NI at will to old ladies.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

lol

I think Branco had fun drawing that.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

But what does the hat represent??

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

You posted:

I want you to write a comic strip starring a girl and a coyote who live in a desolate, featureless desert. Neither of them possess any real morals, values, standards, or opinions. They spend their time having dull, banal conversations with nothing of substance to say. If any of them ever accidentally offers up a thought that might possibly be construed as taking an actual stand on an issue - or, god forbid, proposing a solution to a perceived problem - then their companion is always quick to dismiss it in the most centrist way possible.

If the tone of the strip could be succinctly described by a single term, it would be "white noise."

Please write three three-panel strips starring the girl, named Carmen, and her coyote, named Winslow. The two should attempt to have something approaching a political conversation, without ever actually doing so.

Strip 1 posted:

Panel 1:
[Carmen and Winslow are sitting on a rock in the desert, staring off into the distance.]
Carmen: You know, Winslow, sometimes I wonder about the state of things.
Winslow: Yeah, me too. But then I remember, the state of things is just... well, the state of things.

Panel 2:
[Carmen nods thoughtfully.]
Carmen: True. It's like, what can you do, you know?
Winslow: Exactly. It's like trying to catch the wind with a butterfly net.

Panel 3:
[Carmen and Winslow both shrug and continue staring into the distance.]
Carmen: Yeah. I guess we'll just keep existing.
Winslow: Works for me.

Strip 2 posted:

Panel 1:
[Carmen and Winslow are walking through the desert, the sun beating down on them.]
Carmen: You know, Winslow, sometimes I think about making a change.
Winslow: Oh? Like what?

Panel 2:
[Carmen scratches her head, looking uncertain.]
Carmen: I dunno, maybe... something different?
Winslow: Different how? Like, a different shade of sand?

Panel 3:
[Carmen shrugs, conceding the point.]
Carmen: Yeah, maybe. Or maybe not. Who knows?
Winslow: Exactly. Who knows?

Strip 3 posted:

Panel 1:
[Carmen and Winslow are sitting by a small campfire, roasting marshmallows.]
Carmen: You know, Winslow, sometimes I think about the world and all its problems.
Winslow: Yeah, there sure are a lot of them.

Panel 2:
[Carmen nods, poking at the fire with a stick.]
Carmen: But then I think, what can one person really do?
Winslow: True. It's like trying to count all the grains of sand in the desert.

Panel 3:
[Carmen and Winslow both sigh, then go back to roasting marshmallows in silence.]
Carmen: Yeah. I guess we'll just have to keep roasting marshmallows.
Winslow: Works for me.

In conclusion, I think Stantis may have already been replaced with ChatGPT.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Unless you went out of your way to contort the prompt, ChatGPT would never willingly write Carmen and Winslow exclaiming in shock over something off-panel that goes completely unrevealed for three straight days.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

A genuinely good Ted Rall.

I mean. "Good" by current thread and Ted Rall standards, but, you know.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Ok, fair points. I retract my statement.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Wow! They don't even know why they're there?? And they're only showing up because someone told them to?? AND they admitted it to reporters? Ha ha holy poo poo, loving destroyed! I assume this is a real thing that happened, take that liberals.
I know "make up a scenario and just have your political opponents announce that they're villains and idiots" is like, the fundamental core of all political cartooning, but Gamble feels like he just doesn't understand it at all. There's no spin or sauce or subtlety, literally just draws his enemies going "we are dumb and stupid, and also, we're wrong!" and calls it a day. All his cartoons are this, just standing about and announcing things as plainly as possible.

"Good news. Imagine if they knew all the other horrendous poo poo our government was doing."

This video has the magasphere losing their minds.

https://twitter.com/RudyGiuliani/status/1783154103947862364

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

the_steve posted:

I'm not sure about dumbest. I thought that title, at least, was held by...poo poo, I want to say Rogers? Not Rob Rogers from Pittsburgh, but the other one who doesn't know how post offices work and had that "I'm fired forever because of Obamacare!' cartoon.

Rob Smith, Jr.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: History Doesn't Repeat, It Weeps

You guys just don't get it. It's Rall's style to draw Columbia University like a cardboard cutout. It's artistic expression!!

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

DalaranJ posted:

In the modern state of the comic where everyone showing arousal is literally a satanic monster, there’s no longer any room for horny Charlie Brown.

Excuse you? Slick is a horny child version of Frazz.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

What happened to Rick McKee anyway? When he used to be posted here his cartoons were basically the standard right wing poo poo opinions but his more recent stuff is actually... kinda decent?

I know you can't give a modern conservative any credit and all that jazz -- the core philosophy is misanthropic and always has been, etc etc etc -- but McKee always struck me as more, shall we say, "misguided" and less "brimming with contempt and hatred" than a lot of his peers. He's always disliked Trump, and does not at all seem to enjoy the Trumpification of his party.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

[/b]

It's incredible what a virtuoso Stiglich is; he's a true master of his craft. Every single piece just pushes the art form further, exploring the rich edge of possibilities in how this visual medium can convey ideas. The framing. The composition. The near flawless execution on a technical front. Not to mention how the metaphor itself is positively layered with so much meaning and depth.

Hacks like David Pope should sit up and take notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

What the-- Oh no! A Hamas mob has appeared and it's protesting on American campuses! The faculty are using their martial arts training, but now there are TWO mobs! They're taking hostages to the Gaza strip!

Now they'll NEVER learn about "all criticism of Israel is antisemitic!"