Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

2024, let's fuckin' go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

DarklyDreaming posted:

Saving this for October when he inevitably bends the knee again

I think he's like Stantis in that as much as he'll whine and cry about Trump, he'll always finish with "But *Democrat* would be worse."

The Democratic fallacy cry is "we can push him left!"
The Republican fallacy cry is "We can get him to use the dogwhistles!"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Guavanaut posted:

Yes?

Violent crime is down, and significantly so compared to any of the eras that Stiglich would seek to return to. The existence of a specific violent crime (or more likely freedom eagle dot patriot going on about the knockout games again) doesn't mean anything regarding the overall rates.

There should be an award category for this kind of "can't tell the difference between weather and climate" deliberate ignorance.

Most Willfully Dense

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Islamic Shock posted:

Just properly noticed this one. The artist believes the mainstream media reporting on an actually true thing that makes people feel safer is bad, because it feels like they're lying and therefore must be, because Stiglich is a scared little bitch and knows his intended audience are scared little bitches.

I almost feel like he's trying to go for

"2024 just started, and therefore the crime rate hasn't had a chance to happen, but the Mainstream Media is disingenuously using that information to make it seem like crime has actually decreased."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Skios posted:

Gary Varvel

Is this the first clown cartoon of 2024?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/EandPCartoons/status/1742251913842958722?t=SkE0vCAeAezFvkL3FtLvwA&s=19

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

In which a political cartoonist doesn't understand the entire concept of elections.

Eh, I get their point. Keep calling every single election the "most important one ever!!!111!!1!! :supaburn:" and it's going to start ringing real fuckin' hollow.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

wizzardstaff posted:

People keep saying every year that this summer is the hottest one on record, do they expect me to believe it just keeps happening AGAIN???

One of these is a verifiable weather phenomenon, the other is purely subjective and based largely off of icky tummyfeels.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/willystaley/status/1742608060848406654?t=CCYW39nHp10RXLThsaFgEg&s=19

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Worst "Why Are We Even Friends?"

Kellies Nomination: Worst "Wait, they were singing about us this whole time?"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Guavanaut posted:

It's even dumber than that, it's the "punk is establishment now, which makes conservatism the new punk rock" poo poo they've been trying for decades, as if the 'elites' that the oldschool anarchists were railing against were the people building water pumps and providing cholera vaccines, rather than the system of capital-aristocracy.

I can never see that, or anything analogous to that line, without thinking of that Adam4D comic where his woman mouthpiece talks about how being a submissive tradwife is the true modern feminist ideal.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Larryb posted:

Green Day has been doing this since at least the W Bush era and chuds are just now noticing?

See also: Their shocked Pikachu face at Rage Against the Machine and Twisted Sister.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vib Rib posted:

It's not new or surprising but it blows my loving mind every time I see people like this acting like trans people are (or are even supported by) "the establishment" in any loving sense. They're so deep in their imagined persecution that even marginalized groups that are getting almost daily hate-legislation proposed against them are somehow "the establishment" while conservatives themselves, clinging to centuries of traditional backing, sucking off billionaire elites and corporate doctrines, are clearly the plucky little rebels.

drat, your political opponent faced legal action? Just because they were your political opponent, right??
Oh, it's because they committed a ton of crimes? Hm.

That's because in massively popular media like Star Wars and the like, the plucky rebels are the cool good guys.

I can all but promise you, if George Lucas had done Star Wars from the Empire's point of view, those same chuds would be talking about the Rebellion the same way they do the Vietnamese/Arabs in a war movie starring a white guy.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

VitalSigns posted:

It's funny that there are all kinds of reasonable critiques of American elections (for example: "voting only changes the color of the kiddy prison administrators' ties from red to blue or back to red again"), yet Rall goes with, basically, "democracy is fake because other people's votes count too, not just mine"

Ted Rall is like a stopped clock; he's technically correct twice a day, but not through any effort on his part.

Also this cartoon is not one of those two, before someone feels the need to try to pick that argument.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/DaveWhamond/status/1743317122175082597?t=_G7Lj882cjmkiM_2hdGs-Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/EandPCartoons/status/1743331530704110073?t=8gZuh8A5QK4MLLsRrKRrng&s=19

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/PatChappatte/status/1743891874375430521?t=AXeJGfzMSH2Hh8QImOLWYQ&s=19

I can't get over Trump's lips in this one, getting real minstrel show vibes

Edit: Didn't want to double post
https://twitter.com/EandPCartoons/status/1743754313992675719?t=QkkqNp1fY0rF0CXqesHzFA&s=19

Another edit: This one counts as political
https://twitter.com/stephanpastis/status/1744063545380315370?t=wpw-kHkw9wKAvPglRt0kgg&s=19

the_steve fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 7, 2024

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Nenonen posted:

Have it fullsized so you don't have to squint/zoom/go to the nazi tiktok site:

Thanks. I'm phone posting, so linking the tweet is about all I can effectively do.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Introducing a new category for the Kellies Nominations: Worst White Noise, for comics that manage a whole lot of :words: without ever actually saying anything.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

wizzardstaff posted:

What is this thread for if not giving attention to the shittiest people who deserve it least?

Figuring out how many ways we can rephrase "What a bunch of clowns."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wasn't Ted calling for people to rise up and take to the streets in his honor when some cops hassled him a couple years ago?

I mean, I know it's Rall and he's a narcissistic hypocrite, but yeah, I always get a chuckle out of "the only moral protest is the one I endorse" when anyone takes that route.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

His art has actually gotten worse and blander with time.

- Claims that this is a deliberate stylistic choice on his part.

skeleton warrior posted:

Rall, for whatever reason, colored Obama’s skin purple for a while in his comics and when he got called out for that being weird and vaguely racist he declared it a “printing error” he had no control over, that he was the subject of a Daily Kos witch-hunt by liberals who hate leftists who aren’t supine enough about Obama, and drew Obama as having a giant smiley face head for a few months declaring that no one could call him racist or weird for it.

I thought Purple-Bama actually wasn't his fault, he just threw a fit about it anyways because people were mocking him.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Walt Handelsman

Unironically AGC.
A clear visual metaphor that makes the cartoonist's point without beating you over the head with it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vib Rib posted:

Really? Even with the giant newspaper in the car and the backwards facing headline?

Honestly, yeah, at least I thought so.
"Louisiana went from blue to red. How did this happen? Ah, because that guy got sworn in."

Bing, bong, done.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

axolotl farmer posted:

How do you even get this lazy without going full Gorrell?

By refusing to form an opinion more substantial than "I am in favor of good things and would prefer bad things not happen."

InsertPotPun posted:

it's supposed to be some "both sides" poo poo but it's pretty clear that one person keeps starting the fights
"i'm in charge"
"NO! *throws a punch*"
clearly, both sides are to blame :(

Stantis yearns for the days when Republicans and Democrats could get together to politely agree that the Republicans are correct about everything and we should just do whatever they want. That's called bipartisanship.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

DalaranJ posted:

Ah, it's a "Why can't we go back to a time when everyone publicly hated Muslims" cartoon. I have to admit it was more than a little confusing. But that makes sense as Stantis is nearly* constantly at pains to obscure his bigotry.

*Remember last year, when he said what he really thought once, and it got nominated for worst cartoon multiple times?
I literally don't remember what that comic was about, but I do remember that it was horrifying.

Nah, when Stantis wants to hate on Muslims, he mentions the Desert Hamsters who are all off-screen, but being very terroristic.

Stantis has one desire above all overs, and that's for the return of the dogwhistle.
He fervently hopes and prays for the days where Republicans talk about "those people" needing to learn manners and stop listening to rap music and pull their pants up instead of outright saying African Americans. For the days where a right-wing commentator can say "I never said black people, you said black people. Perhaps you are the real racist" and everybody would just pretend that the right-wing commentator had a point.

He's 100% on board with everything republicans do, as long as he can't be directly called out for supporting it. Give him a euphemism to hide behind, and he'd be perfectly content.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JamesBont posted:

Kirschen doesn't support Netanyahu because he's not extreme enough! Kirschen will not rest until every man, woman, child, and animal of Palestine is dead and their blood will paint the walls of the new Israeli government!

(There was an edit/parody of Kirschen that I saw years ago, but I can't find it)

EDIT: Never mind, found it

It's fun to remember that Kirschen hated this comic and threatened legal action against whoever made it.
Which of course went nowhere since he had no legal leg to stand on.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Phlegmish posted:

Man, gently caress these Stantis cartoons. It's just the same thing over and over again. Say something interesting!

Baby steps, first he has to actually say anything.
PC is like the LaCroix of political cartoons.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vib Rib posted:

MLK was in favor of far more wide-reaching affirmative action programs than America has ever implemented.

Does anyone have that comic about MLK where they basically just do a rush job on his life and ignore everything he did except that one quote:
"MLK was born. Then he had a dream - 'People should be judged by their character, so quit playing the race card!' - And then he didn't do or say anything else until he died. The end."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Dopefish Lives! posted:

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Ableism)

(Sorry if I invented yet another Kellies category, but gently caress does this cartoon piss me off)

If you hadn't done it, I was going to once I caught up with the rest of the thread.

Skios posted:

Bob Gorrell

Kellies Nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Phlegmish posted:

lol this is literally my boomer dad

e: but yeah I don't like QR menus either

I'm more in favor of regular menus as well, especially because in my experience, it's a lot harder/drat near impossible to make any requests like "hold the onion" or something. At least more often than not, there's no way to request it short of trying to call a server over.
Like, they're fine when they work right and if they're formatted well, but I'm still definitely in favor of traditional.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Overall Worst
Fuckin' rigged rear end game. Fuckin' bullshit refs.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

Kellies Nomination: Worst Label, Worst Image Cropping
I get the metaphor he's going for, but it looks like half of JAN6 was cut out of the image. Should've just used a slightly smaller font to fit it all in frame.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

axolotl farmer posted:

Tom the Dancing Bug by Ruben Bolling

Kellies Nomination: Made their point 4 panels in then kept going.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/1747630708737065228?s=20

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I dont know posted:

In Stiglich's case that doesn't matter because he thinks white Christians are the only people who matter. It's their job to decide and everyone else's job to obey. To whatever degree they are overrepresented and their tastes disproportionately sampled is the system working as it should.

Yeah. A lot of christians, at least in my experience, don't actually believe in freedom of religion. They believe that they, and the government, humor people of different faiths, but everyone knows what the "real" one is and that they're the only ones who actually matter when it comes time to make any sort of decisions.

Kinda like how in any given christian movie, there's always an atheist who isn't actually an atheist because they don't believe, they're atheist because they're mad at god, but deep down know he's as real and white as the background of the textbox I'm typing into.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I know "Sinfest" and "internal logic" have no place with each other, but I just got to thinking; If the Year is a reincarnation of itself (2023 dies, is reborn as 2024, etc.) then the Year is actually trans, because originally, the Old Year was drawn as the stereotypical old man for the end of year gag where Death chases him down. It's only recently that Year has been portrayed as a woman.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Laziest Non-Gorrell
Because by Bennett standards, even as far as he's fallen in recent years, this is pretty fuckin' lazy.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Michelle Obama is not currently a politician, and has not once shown any interest in running for office, and yet the bullshit right-wing rumors that she'll try to become president ANY DAY NOW have been around for years and just will not die despite how obviously not based in reality they are.

That's because Barack already had his two terms, so it's harder to use him as a bogeyman.
Hillary is still fairly effective for them, but, the only thing scarier than a woman president would be a black woman president.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

idonotlikepeas posted:

(Maybe not exactly the sense I mean, but close - this looks loving rad and there's no indication in the cartoon as to why we should not want this.)

For real, what's the downside here? This is the Jetsons level poo poo we dreamt of as kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Brawnfire posted:

I think, and this is my interpretation, that Uncle Sam is reading the headline, gripping the paper in fury (note the angry wrinkles around the hands) and the face is shrouded with black scribbles of anger. It would come across better if their style wasn't entirely black scribbles to begin with

Yeah, Lester isn't a good artist by any stretch of the imagination, but it's fairly easy to see that Uncle Sam is supposed to be feeling very negatively about the report involving coward cops being cowards and letting kids get murdered.