Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Comstar posted:

I booked in for a covid vac and it's going to take 3 weeks before I can get booked in for it.

I just checked the online vaxx clinic finder and found multiple locations within walking distance of my house with a whole lot of open slots available tomorrow, you should be able to find something better unless you live in the middle of the Nullarbor or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrigadierSensible posted:

It annoys me that we, in Australia, get weirdos like this, and randos like the Hunting and Fishing party.

But we never get Screaming Lord Such's, or Lord Bucketheads.

Cecil G Murgatroyd used to run in elections in NZ and Australia under the McGillicuddy Serious Party and Imperial British Conservative Party tickets (which both branched off from Alf's Imperial Army which was mainly a NZ thing but actually started at Melbourne Uni in '72) back in the 80s and 90s. He was closely associated with the Wizard Of Christchurch who also ran for various elections in NZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrWajXei1W8

He died back in '01 though, this is all ancient history now

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

kirbysuperstar posted:

must have been those drat lefties

Antifa Super Soldiers are being bussed into our towns to destroy our supermarkets. The War On Australia Day has taken a dark turn. :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Can't a man jerk off in the bread aisle in peace any more

Man cannot jerk by bread alone

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

kirbysuperstar posted:

this is the most pathetic poo poo lmao

I was in Coles yesterday and all their Australia Day merch had already been relegated to the endcaps down the very back on the store and marked down to half price or better.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GoldStandardConure posted:

if its anything like the Luna New Year display at my local coles, its because they cram anything thats vaguely asian looking into the display.

Luna new year? Just slap some red lanterns next to the pallet of rice and call it done.

Tbf a lot of Asian countries celebrate lunar/lunisolar new year at the same time (a small number celebrate on a different day) even though here in the west it's usually just referred to as Chinese New Year
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_New_Year

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Whats the significance of may 8? I googled but alot of things have happened on may 8

It's World Donkey Day
https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/may/08/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spookydonut posted:

given scomo swore himself in as defense minister isnt this too soon to go into the defense industry?

i swear there was legislation passed to stop that, or is his retirement in feb because thats the soonest he could possibly start work legally?

JBP posted:

It's meant to be 12 months but lmao if you think someone is monitoring former ministers' phone calls to make sure they aren't doing deals.

E: it's also some poo poo like companies you dealt with while a member, so you just sign up someone that couldn't get a word in with you and away you all go

I looked it up, ministers have an 18 month lobbying ban in their specific portfolio after they cease to hold office, people who work under them have a 12 month ban and there's a general 12 month lobbying ban above a certain level "relating to any matter that the person had official dealings with in the person’s last 12 months of that employment".

Attorney-General's Department posted:

11. Prohibition on lobbying activities

1. Persons who retire from office as a Minister or a Parliamentary Secretary, must not, for a period of 18 months after they cease to hold office, engage in lobbying activities relating to any matter that they had official dealings with in their last 18 months in office.

2. A person who was previously any of the following:
a. a person employed in the Office of a Minister or Parliamentary Secretary under the Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984 at adviser level or above;
b. a member of the Australian Defence Force at Colonel level or above (or equivalent);
c. an agency Head or person employed under the Public Service Act 1999 in the Senior Executive Service (or equivalent);
must not, for a period of 12 months after the person ceases such employment, engage in lobbying activities relating to any matter that the person had official dealings with in the person’s last 12 months of that employment
https://www.ag.gov.au/integrity/publications/lobbying-code-conduct

Scummo secretly appointed himself as Minister in the Health, Finance, Industry Science Energy & Resources, Home Affairs and Treasury (but not Defense) and his 18 month lobbying ban in those 5 specific portfolios ended in November 2023 and his general 12 month lobbying ban on "any matter that the person had official dealings with in the person’s last 12 months of that employment" ended in May 2023, as long as sitting on the backbench playing Tetris on his phone doesn't count as having "official dealings" on specific matters.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

You get it here doorknocking too. At least once a doorknock, a volunteer comes back with a story about someone all bent out of shape about the Greens getting Abbott elected.

Down here in Vic we still have people SUPER angry that the Green 'caused' the 2009 Black Saturday bushfires and 'murdered' all those people

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SecretOfSteel posted:

Jesus, on my Facebook feed I had boomers defiantly posturing that it will always be "Ayers Rock" despite the Uluru name change which happened, what, 30 years ago? My fault for logging onto Facebook.

Truly, the real victims in all of this are the innocent mining magnates/bankers such as Henry Ayers whose legacy has been cruelly snatched away

Why can't those mean indigenous peoples just leave the mining magnates alone :(

Also they never stopped calling it Ayers Rock, it's been officially "dual named" since 1993

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bucky Fullminster posted:

It sucks that Cook has become the avatar of colonialism.
[...]
His first instructions to the crew were to not disturb so much as a single tree without the blessing of the natives. He was no Cortez or Columbus.
[...]
That first meeting of the two cultures is a monumental moment in the history of not just this land, but the world. And I think the nature of it matters. Cook wasn't there as a conqueror.

He wrote in his diary that he personally took up a gun and shot & wounded a native dude "who seemd resolved to oppose our landing" before his boat even reached the shore

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EoinCannon posted:

There's one at the MCG

There was also this thing over in the UK:

He looks like Buzz Lightyear, lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spookydonut posted:

why did they stop at only cutting it off at the ankles? i'd have tried to damage it a lot more or simply made it disappear

That poo poo is REALLY heavy, you can't just chuck it on a stolen shopping trolley and run off with it. The council had to bring in a heavy forked loader to pick it up and move it.

It made a heck of a dent where it did a header in the concrete, lol
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2gXhiHqLYb/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GrandTheftAutism posted:

what the gently caress does NTATA mean

No worries for the rest of your days

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
"Don't welcome me to my own country" also got a song, it made #2 on the 2024 Coldest 100 list. You don't need to watch it, you know exactly how it plays out but here it is anyway

https://twitter.com/OzKitsch/status/1751121356190859327

LOL @ people in the comments going "Wait, there's something worse than this??" and the OP going "Unfortunately yeah, brace yourselves :( "

E: in case people don't want to click through, #1 on the list was Daryl Somers being lovely to Kamahl while performing in blackface

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I don't respect the coldest 100 list BC it included the kransky sisters doing "computer games" and that is a certified banger

Yeah whoever made the list completely whooshed on that one

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Solemn Sloth posted:

Not since 1963 have we seen a book store so effectively and skilfully used in the fight against the woke left

Holy gently caress they're trying to post through it. They made a post on their Instagram which started

quote:

We sincerely apologise to anyone who has been offended by online comments that are being edited by individuals and posted on social media about Robinsons.

They are being taken out of context and being misrepresented as the views of Robinsons Bookshop when they are not.
[...]

..... but obviously no one bought that so they made another post trying to 'clarify' the online comments

quote:

[...]
During the last few years, the buying team at Robinsons has noticed most books being released have little variation of themes. Susanne Horman, Chief Executive at Robinsons, who posted the comments on social media, believes this has caused an opportunity in the market for authors to fill.

While some genres are overflowing on the shelves, others are noticeably bare. Positive stories with men and boys as the hero are almost missing from the mix. Neither Susanne Horman, nor Robinsons Bookshop are making a value judgement on this observation. Susanne apologises if people have taken this comment as a negative reflection on an excellent range of diverse books.
[...]
https://www.instagram.com/robinsonsbooks/

Pouring water on the fire (but it's a grease fire)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

hooman posted:

Ah yes, the photoshop automation that removes clothes when you resize an image.

EoinCannon posted:

Adobe has apparently 'cast doubt' on this explanation

Note that the photo on the right isn't actually the source photo that was used for the 'shopped image, her pose is almost exactly the same but her face is turned slightly further away from the camera.

If you do a google image search for her then this cropped photo from the same photo session used to be one of the first images that came up before all this:

..... which matches the pose exactly, and seems to be the photo that Ch9 used for their graphic. Why they used generative fill to 'expand' the image rather than just downloading a different photo is a mystery.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JBP posted:

Because four corners is doing what amounts to clickbait investigations.

Friends of mine were founding members of the Pink Magpies LGBTQ+ footy fan support group back in the early 00s when such things were very much not the fashion and the subject of organised homophobia in sports is extremely important to them. They were interviewed for the Four Corners piece and were posting links for it all over social media.

Just because the subject doesn't interest you doesn't mean it's clickbait :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’m not a ghost so I say go hog wild with ghost guns

Ghostbusters 2024 ARG going places

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DRINK ME posted:

And not on some darkweb market which got taken over by the authorities or was a honeypot, he posted it on Facebook. I wonder what he thought the outcome was, friends and strangers giving him internet high fives?
Yeah it was this, his lawyer's defense in court was that he wanted to "have his work as a craftsman acknowledged".

Note that the page where he posted the $1 million ad was specifically "a Facebook buy, swap and sell group for military items" which explains why the Firearms Squad was monitoring it

Also:

quote:

Sun, then an advertising consultant, described himself to police as a "cosplay enthusiast" whose hobby of dressing up in costumes got "out of hand in regards to making the firearms appear as realistic as possible".

He made multiple replica guns on his 3D printer after initially searching online for plans to make a firearm used in the videogame Halo. None were capable of being loaded or fired.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/sicen-sun-given-12-month-suspended-sentence-for-3d-printing-prop-guns-20180821-p4zyro.html

They weren't even ghost guns, they were cosplay props which I guess were painted up to look real. The judge gave him a 12 month suspended sentence and put him on a good behaviour bond

E: this article has photos of the fake guns

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 4, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
/sighs as he unsheaths photoshop

E: and before anyone asks .....

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 6, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah here's a quick video about CO2 capture and how it's technically feasible on a small scale but it's currently MUCH too expensive to be worthwhile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dRgCsZ1q7g

It's pretty certain that we'll have to implement it at some point in the future but there needs to be a LOT of research and development into the relevant technologies before it can happen at a meaningful scale

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Cross runways suck and parallel runways take up a lot of land... my proposal is the stacked runway, three or four runways high.

In space!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
What is this? A multi-level space airport for ants????

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
¡Feliz Anidav!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

froglet posted:

So either he wasn't told (bad, though I reckon it's unlikely), or he was and he ignored it (worse), or he's accidentally or intentionally taken them without a prescription and gotten on the beers (worst).

....or D) he was just plain fall-down drunk and lied about a bad reaction with meds

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

A friend of mine had a pride flag pin on their uniform at Bunnings and constantly had customers flying off the handle at them, and Bunnings response was to tell them to not wear the pin.

A friend of mine has a pride patch sewn onto their scrubs at the hospital where they work but no one was going to mistake them for a hetero anyway :dominic:

God help any beancounter who tries to tell them to remove, lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Agro isn't a cryptid, he's an Animal puppet with the red fur shaved off, the rest of his fur dyed brown and the irises drawn slightly larger

The teeth, tongue and eyes are the giveaway

Also as well as a pre-colonisalisation Viking settlement conspiracy there's also the pre-colonisation Egyptian princes thing, but that's more of a hoax than a conspiracy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30jMvj4L_jo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CLINICALBIKEGETACCESS

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

At first I thought they might be standing in front of a billboard which had a photo of them on it but it seems that they photoshopped themselves into the other photo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GrandTheftAutism posted:

No, it doesn't help, fuckface.

Not voting yes regardless of reasons means I'm automatically racist? That's an even shittier take. I was asked to change the founding document of my country for the sake of people who despise my country (or worse, outright reject its existence). On what loving planet is that a reasonable request?

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Also lol at the constitution being the "founding document".

It was written in 1901, over a century, after this place was founded, and 118 years after Sandwich and Banks wrote "A Proposal for Establishing a Settlement in New South Wales", on the 24 August 1783.

Also the "change" was pretty much cosmetic and didn't actually alter it in any significant manner. It was a token of reconciliation but apparently even a token was way too much to ask of some people