Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

This has been pretty cool so far - I'm digging all the shops having a cover that you only get to see past once you catch protagonism get the COMP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Hyahahaha! Failure as a human! Failure as a human!
Update 5: Cold Storage Warehouse

Before we enter the warehouse, I buy some sake for my Goblin.

quote:

Jirae - Goblin

Lv. 10
D-Souls Cost: 100
Alignment: NEUTRAL - NEUTRAL
Personality: Sly
Resists: Fire, Ice, Electricity
Weakness: Expel

Magic
Tarukaja: Increases Physical Attack. Stacks up to 4 times. (50%/150%/250%/350%)
Sukukaja: Increases Accuracy. Stacks up to 4 times.
Makakaja: Increases Magical Attack. Stacks up to 4 times.(50%/150%/250%/350%)
Dekunda: Removes debuffs from the entire party.

Goblin is a Sly demon for some reason and his entire kit revolves around buffs. I need to build that loyalty asap.

"Bay Warehouse Streets"

There are some hidden NPCs around.

Why's that?

It's got an electronic key lock on it, so you have to know the passcode to go inside. There should be some people patrolling the other warehouses, so if you need to get in, one of 'em oughtta know the code.

...But, there's always this odd guy that hangs around that middle warehouse. He's always picking fights with random people, so steer clear of him.

No, what?

There's this crazy guy that hangs around the warehouse who's always yelling about how he's going to kick everyone's asses. The last time I saw him, he was mumbling to himself about something. I think that was about 2 or 3 days ago. He was complaining about the electricity being cut off, and he was talking about making Ga-something lower the temperature.

Foreshadowing is a narrative device.

...You have any clue what he's talking about?

Nope.

But, girl, I suggest you do something about those lame rear end clothes. They don't look good on you at all.

Friendly reminder the MC isn't saying anything!

These clothes actually look really cute on me...

Hey, you guys know about the Amami Float? They built it as a storage site for the airport construction. But some of us were thinking about sneaking on board and throwing some awesome raves on it! Wouldn't that be awesome? The problem is, we have no idea how to get over there. I'm guessing it's gotta be connected to the airport somehow...

Here goes nothing.

This one is fairly simple, a straight path and some rooms to the sides.

"Battle Conversation"

Oh, this demon again...

How about a present?.

GRRRRR...! ME TAKE SOMETHING FROM YOU. ME TAKE ANYTHING.

This demon is Lv.6. The price in MAG should be 60 but I'll give throw 100 just in case.

THANK YOU, SUMMONER. BUT ME NOT SATISFIED. ME WANT MORE...

:suicide:

There you are...

You greedy gently caress.

:peanut:

Reloading your gun during battle takes one turn, you can also do it from Equipment.

Evasion is more important than defense, probably.

"Normal Battle"

Wilder - Hellhound

A ghost dog that appears in many European countries, especially in the Cornwall region of England. They were guard dogs, guarding the entrance to the underworld, preventing souls from escaping. Hearing its howl is an omen of death.

Lv. 7
Alignment: DARK - NEUTRAL
Personality: Wild
Nulls: Fire, Death
Weakness: Ice

Rumor - Kamiotoko

Ghosts that suddenly appear and bite humans. They have no physical body, so you cannot see them, but they will bite all over their victims. Their attacks are imperceptible to normal humans. The bite marks are the only proof of their existence. Once someone is attacked, they will hunt you down no matter how well hidden you are, but they will not attack once you leave their territory.

Lv. 4
Personality: Dumb
Reflects: Death
Resists: Magic

One of these enemies nulls fire and the other one is resilient to magical attacks. Good thing both the MC and Nemissa have guns.:getin:

Oh, okay. Just ignore me, I guess.

:blastu:

And we're here.

Are you mental, kid? Why the hell would I ever give a couple of kids the passcode to a restricted refrigerated warehouse?

I mean, if you say it like that...

Not only are you not supposed to be in there, but anyone without insulated clothes would just freeze their frickin' nards off.

Grrr... Stupid insulated--Fine, then give us the insulated clothes. If you don't hand 'em over, you're going to be sorry. Nemissa is a demon after all!

A demon, huh? Listen... Are you kids on drugs? Where are your parents?

I don't have time to be babysitting you two, so look, either you get out of here, or I'm going to call the cops.

Hell no.

Wh-What's with all the screaming? All that noise is so distracting! I can't concentrate!

G-G-G-Gun!

Actually, it's called a GUMP--

...Er, yes! We mean business! You'd better do what we say!

Please don't kill me! I'll give you some insulated clothes!

... Crap. We didn't even get the passcode out of him. I guess we should go check the other warehouse for someone with the password.

The insulated clothes reduce Ice damage by a lot, even in Hard mode. I won't equip it just yet.

Let's try checking the other warehouses first.

Undead - Drag Queen

Cross-dressing men who died while wearing their preferred outfits and became zombies. It is possible that these in particular, and not all transvestites, have such an overwhelming devotion to their hobby that it ended up zombifying them in the afterlife.

Lv. 4
Nulls: Death, Mind.
Weakness: Fire, Expel.

Yup, you read that right, we have zombified Drag Queens as normal enemies. The Rumor and Undead race have some of the most underrated and creative demons in the series. As for the Drag Queen, they have this weird skill called Simple Twist where they heal some HP in exchange of...falling sleep?

Uh, okay. Do you thing Nemissa.

I won't say no to a free Dis-Poison.

Let's see, the shutters should be locked. The passcode is "481106". Make sure you lock 'em when you're done. Wait, you only have one set of insulated clothes? Well, here's another one then. Don't want you getting frostbite.

Well, it's hard to move in, and it catches fire easily, but it is resistant to the cold and it's freezing in there. But, hey, no skin off my back. Personally, I'd wear the crap outta those clothes in there. It's your call, though. Just try it on for a bit, and you'll see what I mean.

And we get another one of these.

"Bay Warehouse"

I mean, it is so cold in here. We'd probably be human ice cubes if we just rushed in here without getting them...

Do we really have to wear these?

I mean...

You're fine because you're a demon, but the body you're in right now is HUMAN! If you're going to be possessing me, you need to take better care of me!

You know what? I don't need these... I'm playing on Hard after all, I want to feel the danger!

Fairy - Pennangal

A fairy rumored among Japanese folklorists to protect beehives in the jungles of Malaysia. It lives on the top of trees and watches over beehives. If you steal a beehive, it will attack. If you are caught, you will be killed, and even if you escape you will be frozen with pain, as if you were stung all over your body. At night, it floats around like a will-o-wisp and unleashes a stench that smells so bad you can't breathe.

Lv. 7
Alignment: NEUTRAL - NEUTRAL
Personality: Calm
Drains: Ice
Weakness: Fire

This demon has Hama, a Light/Expel skill with a chance to instantly kill the target. In some SMT games, humans are immune to Light/Expel by default. This...isn't one of those games. Luckily, it tends to use Bufu and basic attacks a lot more often.

Oh there's the smiley face, let's try and recruit it.

All right.

What...?

Why the hell is a weakling like you wandering around here? You get lost or something?

So I could find you.

What the hell are you even talking about?

Talking to demons can be really frustrating sometimes. :cripes:

Hey, did you know there's like, a laboratory or something on the first floor?

It sure does.

Yeah, totally shady, right. And the guy who works there is even worse! You catch the size of his nose? No way anyone's got a nose like that who's not some evil mastermind. I'd be careful if I were you. Seeya.

What kind of a lab would be in the middle of a warehouse? Sounds pretty fishy...

Wait, Tomato...! Maybe that "Doll" thing that Victor wanted us to get... Maybe it's inside of this shady "Lab" of "Thrills". I'm betting that's it. I'm getting the same weird vibe I got from the Goumaden! Let's go, Tomato!

Hnnnng...!

.....? What's wrong Tomato...? The door's frozen shut? Is that even possible!? Step aside, let me try!

Nemissa, you have literally 3 Strength.

.... Okay, it's possible. You won't be able to open this door no matter how hard you try. That ice isn't normal. I'm pretty sure this ice is created by a demon. Actually, not just the ice... I don't think this is a refrigerated warehouse. I think a demon's cooling this entire place.

I think the source of the cold is below us somewhere. We need to defeat the demon that's chilling this room to get through this door.

I have enough Magnetite now, time to summon demons.

Wild demons love using physical attacks, both skills and basic attacks.

The effect of the sake doesn't last long, but hopefully it's enough to get a good chunk of loyalty.

This is what a demon looks like when they're drunk.

Even low level demons can deal severe damage to Nemissa, she's just that fragile.

drat, seriously? A human... Great. Just what I needed. So, whaddaya got to say for yourself?

You know what? gently caress you too!

Same to you, jerk.

Oh, a tough guy, eh? Heh, maybe we could get along after all. We get along pretty good, don't you think? Yeah, I think so. I bet we even like the same kindsa food.

Easy pick

FINALLY!

I can't stand being in that room without getting bundled up. That cold just chills me right to the bone.

Lv. 5 Loyalty, baby!

I may have underestimated the enemy, I need to go back and resupply.

I fuse my Knocker and the recently recruited Gally Trot to create an Azumi. This demon is important because it has Rakukaja, a defensive buff.

Then I fuse Pixie with Azumi to create Seere. He has fire damage, a defensive debuff and a skill to cure poison. Thanks to the skill inheritance, exclusive to demons fused inside the Goumaden, he also gets Dia from Pixie and Rakukaja from Azumi, creating a fantastic attack support! Is demon fusion cool or what? :smug:

And finally, we sell some MAG to get money. Now, back to the warehouse.

Night - Mokoi

An evil spirit of Murngin mythology, believed to be reborn shadows. They kidnap and eat children, and strike down sorcerers who use black magic.

Lv. 4
Alignment: NEUTRAL - CHAOS
Nulls: Ice

Like lame jokes.

:cripes:

You're going to give me something, right? I'm looking forward to this.

Don't you loving dare...

:bang:

Hmm :thunk:
Short/messy hair, chubby, glasses.

Mokoi, my man. :hfive:

I didn't know until now, but you're a pretty good guy for a Summoner.

Just got my COMP.

Oh, so the only thing you need to be a Summoner is one of those COMP thingies? You're going to give me something, right? I'm looking forward to this.

:smithicide:

I finally reach B2F. Right next to the elevator we have a healing spot and a terminal.

Thank you. But just this isn't enough to satisfy me. It's too bad, but we can't do anything about it. Later.

I want to scream.

There was a blackout a couple of days ago. Come to think of it, that's when I started hearing some weird noises from down below. There was this wheezing sound that I hear now. I've never heard anything like it before. Someone should probably check that out.

Flight - Harpy

Spirits of the wind in Greek lore. Originally thought to be a goddess of the island of Creta. "Harpy" if the English name. The original Greek name is Harpuia. The Harpies consisted of three sisters: Aello ("storm"), Ocypete ("swift), and Calaeno ("dark"). They are cowardly and hate fighting, but they were also spiteful and enjoyed causing trouble.

Lv. 9
Alignment: NEUTRAL - LAW
Repels: Force
Weakness: Gun

I'll censor this portrait, just in case.

He has a very peculiar accent, a very large nose, and possesses a strange doll... He's quite disturbing. I would prefer it if he didn't stay long.

Ejem...

There was something that I have always wanted to ask a human about.

Nemechi.

I have heard of that, but I've never seen one. I would definitely like to try using it some day. On a different note, will you be giving me anything?

Please don't ask for a gun...

I think I picked one before... Uh, yes?

:confused:

The boss is behind this door, I need to do some fusion and heal my party first.

I finally manage to recruit a Mokoi. How, you ask? He literally asked for 13 MAG. Yeah...

Tree - Jubokko

An evil tree that thrives in death grounds, such as battlefields or execution sites. It is said to become a monster when a tree drinks a lot of blood. Those who pass by are caught by its branches, and their blood is sucked out for its nourishment.

Lv. 10
Alignment: DARK-LAW
Nulls: Expel, Death

I finally found this stupid tree. Here's something I wanted to show before the boss.

Using Ice skills has a chance to freeze the target. Being frozen will take away your turn, assuming the unit hasn't acted yet. I think that's it. Nemissa, kill.

What's with demons in this dungeon? :negative:

Pretty good.

Thank you. I do try to look my best whenever I go out. Oh, I know. I will accompany you in your travels. Would that be satisfactory?

AAAAAAAAAAA! :livintrope:

Seere + Penanggal creates Angel. She lost Rakunda but gained a kit focused more on support, fitting for a Kind demon like her.

I also resummon Seere from the compendium.

This is the team I'll be using against the boss. If you're wondering how am I using an Extra Law demon and a Chaos demon... Well, I used the Alignment hack. I forgot that Extra Law/Extra Chaos demons will prevent units from the opposite alignment to be summoned.

These are my stats before the fight.

Wait! Hey Tomato, don't you think this one is going to use ice attacks?

This dialogue actually caught me by surprise. Stop being such a killjoy, Hitomi...

Nah, I'd win.

...Hey, you! Quit being such a pest and knock off this freezing air already!

*wheeze* Who are you...? I belong in the cold. The cold... It is where Gargan Zero belongs.

Master Thrill ordered me to protect this place... Are you going to stand against me? There will be... no mercy.

What are you even talking about? If words won't get through to you, I bet magic will.

"Event Battle 2" :siren: "Vs. Gargantua Zero" :siren:

Zoma - Gargantua Zero

HP: 406
Lv. 16
Nulls: Expel, Death, Mind, Nerve, Curse
Drains: Ice

Skills:
Mabufu: Deals Ice damage to a row of enemies.
Aeon Rain: Deals Ice damage to all enemies.
Tackle: Deals Strike damage to a single target. Can only target the front row if the user is on the back.

Gargantua Zero can be completely trivialized by wearing the insulated clothes and/or recruiting the multiple demons here who also nullify ice damage. Aeon Rain is by far the most devastating move, but she doesn't use it all that much.

"Boss Event End"

...Oh. Looks like it's getting warmer in here already Let's hurry and get out of here.

W-Wait. We still need to find that thing Victor wanted us to look for.

More endurance to protect my goth glass cannon.

I should put some points into Intelligence. Her massive damage doesn't matter if she can't land a hit.

Oh Media, nice. I think IN and MA affect healing efficiency. Nemissa always heals a good chunk of HP, even when using weak skills like Dia.

You're welcome.

Through the dungeon, you'll find some yellow doors. These doors are frozen, and can be accessed after you beat the boss. The treasure behind them is more than worth it.

Incenses are fairly rare. The MC has no use for IN so I'll give it to Nemissa.

Sure, why not?

And finally, we unlock a shortcut. If you ever want to return here, for some reason...

"Suspicious Occasion"

If you're wondering if this guy sounds like an evil Dr. Doofenshmirtz... Yes, he does. Dr. Thrill, just like the Energy Association guy, are returning characters from Devil Summoner. In that game you could fight his artificial demons, known as Gargantuas, as optional bosses.

You... You have some nerve to enter the lab of the glorious Dr. Thrill without permission! Nerve, I say! NERVE! I instructed Zero to let nobody through, did I not!? Just what what the hell happened to her, huh?

Uh...

Hmmm...? What's that you've got there? I've seen it before. Now, what was it...?

Very well, allow me to inquisit a very single question from you...

That's right.

Bah! Smug, cocksure brat! You're just going to yell that to the entire world, eh? Do you know what kind of humiliations I have suffered at the hands of Summoners!? The very thought...!
I already know that getting involved with you lot is never going to turn out well for me. To be perfectly frank, I would love to beat you into a pulp, but...

I believe a hasty retreat would be the smartest choice for now. You will rue the day we met! I will have revenge!

What an encounter.

Tomato, look...

Oh, we're back outside all of a sudden. Cool.

Like usual.

I've got some new information. Hurry back to HQ.

Well, Victor's creepy doll will have to wait.

"Hideout"

I found this on the Summoner Net, so I called you. Take a look.

Oh God, please don't tell me they made a post whining.

How could I forget him? That's the Summoner who locked me up at Algon NS. I don't know what he's planning to do, but this is the perfect chance to find out more about this Phantom Society. But he IS a Summoner. So what we'll do is... Huh? Are you listening?

Nemisa, please...

He's the one that ran away! That does it! I'll make sure he never talks again!

...I don't know what this Summoner is planning to do, but we can't just ignore this chance. I know it's dangerous, Tomatoe but I want you to check it out.

If Spooky says Jump, I ask how high

I'll go investigate.

Oh, and I installed an observer program to check Summoner Net for new info whenever it comes up. I'll let you know when they post something new. Make sure to check when it alerts you.

About that Sea Ark in the Summoner Net posting... It looks like that's the hotel under construction in Amami Bay.

It looks like it's been completed, but they say it's still under construction. They aren't taking reservations yet.

Maybe you can get in with one of those license cards they were talking about.

We're going to look around a little more before we head back. Later, we'll--Yu-Ichi, don't touch th--

A license, huh... Maybe that one I gave you earlier is the one you'll need to get in. I want you to check that out, too, but the Astro Museum comes first.

Nemissa is out for blood.

"Hotel Goumaden"

And so am I, time to fuse demons. :getin:

With this, I can now create a new demon, a "Zoma". Loyal to its master, this will become a powerful ally for you.

Fusing a demon with the Dolly Kadmon will create a replica with the exact same skillset. Zoma demons will always have 5 Loyalty and the summon cost/CP is 0. The catch? Their stats depend on the demon that's being used, at this point of the game most demons have single digit stats. As a result...

... this will end up in creating a very weak Zoma statwise. They can be useful if you're low on Magnetite, but I wouldn't rely on them all that much. Zomas are required to create a secret demon race, but that's a story for another time.

Tempting...

Something I forgot the mention when talking about the Goumaden is the "Mystic Change". Here you can turn a demon into an item and-- Wait... Is this what they mean with "give me a sword/armor/gun"? REALLY?!

Whatever, these are the demons I get through fusion.

Girl, have you seen Valkyrie?

ME PLEASED TO MEET YOU, AWOOOOOO.

"Nemechi"

Oh, Setanta and SMT II Chernobog. I have nothing else to fuse, I wonder if I can...

Moh Shuvuu, gimme! :homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

"2D Field"

Surely, the internet powers that be will revoke his access privileges. The internet wasn't made for sickos like that!

All this stress is making me lose my appetite. Can we go somewhere to just get away from all this for a bit?

I love these two dorks. :allears:

:frogout:

"Sea Ark"

The Sea Ark theme is fantastic, give it a listen!

Well, you're in luck. I'll tell you what the Sea Ark here is. This place looks like a hotel, but it's really a training facility for Summoners like us. Every floor is home to a number of demons. Except the lobby, of course!

We're pretty much given free reign to fight or recruit any demons we want in here, as long as we're strong enough. You've got to be careful, though. The higher up you go, the stronger the demons are.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Sometimes you'll find doors that won't open. That means you're not ready to handle what's inside. If you keep working hard and improving yourself, those doors will eventually open. That's about it. Good luck, kid!

Like the Phantom Society guy said, we now have access to the Sea Ark. Here we can grind and recruit demons without having to go back to each dungeon.

See? These are from the Cold Storage Warehouse.

Kill Muh Shuvuu, kill!:science:

I'm not entirely sure if these are locked behind story progression or level... Well, nothing to do here just yet. Let's go back and prepare for the Astro Museum.

"Hideout"

Oh, Yu-Ichi. You're back?

Yeah. I'm studying how to hack right now.

Hmm, good for you.

I want to become a full-fledged hacker and get myself a cool handle name. Then I can work with all of you as a member of Spookies. Man, I can't wait.

Yu-Ichi...:ohdear:

"Video Muscle"

Oho~ We have new ammo.

Now that I mention it, he said he liked the VR Haunted Mansion in Paradigm X. He loves him some horror. If you can get a realistic experience in Paradigm X...

Why would anyone bother just watching movies anymore?

The Astro Museum is right behind our home. How convenient.

But when I go there, they told me that they had closed early. How could I have such bad luck?

I like being in the city, but I'd like to see a part where you could explore the ocean. You could be friends with cute little fish and dolphins, and play with them, and...

Tomoko, get off the computer. Don't you have a test you should be studying for?

Studystudystudystudystudy.

Moooo~m, I was just about to! But now you're making me not want to do it.

*sigh* Like I said a few updates ago, this is probably just a cultural difference. But man, it's frustrating to read.

Studystudystudystudystudy.

Keep on gaming, Tomoko.

"Astro Museum"

Demons ready, guns loaded, sister gaming. Let's do this... :getin:

In the next update, of course. :atlus:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caught up with the LP after seeing it in the LP Announcement Thread. My entire experience with SMT is essentially just Persona, and some LPs of other, non-Persona games, so these are always fun to read to see how varied the franchise is.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Blaze Dragon posted:

Caught up with the LP after seeing it in the LP Announcement Thread. My entire experience with SMT is essentially just Persona, and some LPs of other, non-Persona games, so these are always fun to read to see how varied the franchise is.

Hey, thanks for stopping by! Unlike most SMT games, Soul Hackers doesn't revolve around a war between Law and Chaos. Heck, Alignment just what determines the demons you can use in your party. Most people dislike the Loyalty system and Magnetite, but I think that's what makes Devil Summoner unique.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Finally caught up.

I haven't played a lot of SMT games, but I feel like the "demon negotiation" was always one of the most frustrating parts because of how random it was(or at least how random it felt).

Do the demon "races" have any mechanical effect or is it just something to sort demons by?

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless

PurpleXVI posted:

Do the demon "races" have any mechanical effect or is it just something to sort demons by?

It depends on the game. In some games Demons have Race skills that give them unique abilities in battle or unique bonuses to the party, but in most games it's just a category system and the main thing it affects is that Demon of Race A fusing with Demon of Race B results in Race C. Soul Hackers falls into the latter category, though it is worth noting most demons of a given Race tend to fall into a specific archetype i.e. Brutes are slow and bulky physical specialists.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

The Goumaden even has a demon race calculator, but as someone who just fuses whatever they need at the moment, I never bothered with it.

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 13, 2024

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 6: Astro Museum

"Astro Museum"

What happened here?

I just received orders to close the museum for today. I'm not sure why, but that's what they told me...

So the Phantom Society has that kind of power, huh?

S-So, don't hurt me...

I'm not good with kids. Hitomi, this one is yours.

R-Really...? It's okay...?

I was in the Planetarium when this man with a guitar came and yelled at me... He was super scary. He said something about having a concert, and getting ready to rock. Then he told me to get the hell out, so I ran over here.

Looks like we found our man. So he's at the Planetarium. Nemissa will handle him, so just go home. Everything will be okay.

Okay. thank you.

Aww... Is this really the same person who called herself a demon in the previous update?

First things first, I give Moh Shuvuu some gifts to raise loyalty. She has this skill called Loyal Electricity that scales with...well, loyalty.

Change?

Pft... Okay.

"Normal Battle"

Hey Zhu Tun She

Bye Zhu Tun She.

While Jewelry is a great gift for Sly demmons, food is a great gift for Wild demons.

"Battle Conversation"

Notice how the background has constellations since we're at the Astro Museum, really cool detail.

Hey, how about I give you a nickname? I bet I can come up with the perfect one for you...

I've been called worse, go ahead.

Oh, whatever's cool with you? Okay, in that case, I'm changing it to Piss-Pants.

Okay PP-nose.

Hey, why don't you give me something? And if you're going to do that...

Catch.

What, you're actually gonna give it to me? Wow, that's pretty great. Oh, I know. I'll go with you.

Hell yeah.

She's a DARK demon, so negotiation won't work. But...

Paper!

Hey! You put your hand out late! That's totally cheating! One more time, one more time.

She will never expect Paper twice in a row. :smug:

Paper!

:peanut:

A Dis-Stone can be used to cure petrification. We won't be seeing any skill like that in a while, but hey, it's free.

Free Magnetite? Sure I'll tak-- Wait, are we stealing this from the Museum?

"Heal Spot"

Healing Spot? Why, thank you.

He was bragging about showing Finnegan a thing or two, but it might not turn out the way he's expecting it...

Finnegan, huh?

Hey, what are you doing here!? Get outta here before you get devoured by a demon.

GIMME! :swoon:

Oh God, this loving ring. In my first playthrough, I equipped this ring and forgot about it for several hours. I was wondering why my MC was dying so much, causing so many game overs. Then I check my equipment... Don't use this crap, it's not even good on Nemissa.

Oh no.

Anyway.

We've been fighting alone for a while. Time to summon demons!

This just makes me sad.

:science:

:fuckoff:

:allears:

I love my demons so much.:unsmith:

"Terminal"

A save point is always welcome.

"Astro Museum Quiz"

Are you into Astrology? If so, you'll enjoy this quiz. You need to complete it in order to access the planetarium and face the boss.

Let's see... Gemini is the third one. Sagittarius isn't even close to Leo. Aquarius was--

Huh?

HUH?! It has a timer AND it teleports me all the way here? drat it! If you're having troubles, go to the second floor. You can learn a bit more about the constellations there.

I'll be honest, I just guessed here.

Pft, easy.

This is a bit embarrasing to admit :cripes: but... Saint Seiya was my first anime. My younger self was fascinated by the Zodiac/Constellations and I learned a few things about it, heh... A-Anyway, after Leo Aiolia... comes Virgo Shaka.:hmmyes:

After leaving Hyōga and Shun behind, Seiya and Shiryū go to Scorpius. And before Scorpius was... Libra!

Aries is the first sign of the Zodiac and Piscis is the last one. This one seems tricky so how about Piscis?

You may question my methods, but not my results. :peanut:

My stock is full and a bit underleveled... As much as I would love to keep my demons, it's better to fuse them away.

"Hotel Goumaden"

It hurts having to fuse my only demons with Rakukaja and Rakunda but such is the life of a Devil Summoner. Also yes, you are. :hmmyes:

Bye Moh Shuvuu, hiiii Chagrin. :wave:

You know the deal by now. Fuse demons, build loyalty, repeat.

"Treasure Chest Battle"

Some treasure chests have demons inside. To get the loot, you'll need to fight and defeat them first. Also that battle theme is loving amazing! It's a shame that you only get to hear it during these rare battles.

Is that it? :cawg:

:toot:

Well then, let's enter the Planetarium now. We should be able to find Carol J nearb--

"Suspicious Occasion"

WAIT, WHAT?! The game doesn't give you a warning? Uh... Do I even have my demons already summoned? :ohdear:

Hey hey, it's Carol J! You saved me the trouble of having to go find you myself. I'm the laughingstock of the Phantom Society thanks to you! Even Old Man Finnegan's making fun of me!

Don't worry, the Phantom Society is already a laughingstock on its own.

But this is just perfect. Once I've killed you guys, I'll be back on top of the charts! I'll summon up a rockin' demon, and then I'm gonna shred licks 'til your faces melt!

Now, stars! You're just a bunch of crap, but you still have power! Call upon your master! Come on now! O great angel, Kokabel, I summon you!

:munch:

Um... Hey! Yo! Kokabel! Get your rear end here!

...Kokabel? Is that you?

"Moowis"? What the hell! I summoned Kokabel!

So... do we beat your rear end now or?

Wha--! Hey! Whaddya doing!?

Good question, Nemissa.

Huh? You want some? Come on, then! I'll kick your rear end!

Our stats, as usual.

"Event Battle 2" :siren: Vs.Moowis :siren:

Cyber - Moowis

HP: 578
Lv. 20
Weakness: None

Skills:
Short Jab: Deals Strike damage to a single target. Can only target the front line if the user is on the back.
Bacterio One: Deals Curse damage to a single enemy on the front line, causing splash damage to adjacent units. May inflict Charm
Mazan: Deals Force damage to one row of enemies.
Maragi: Deals Fire damage to one row of enemies.
Strength Song: Attempts to inflict Confusion to a single target.

Just look at that sprite... If you've been stomping on every enemy and boss so far, Moowis is here to test your party composition. Having access to ailments and strong magic damage can be overwhelming. Just like Carol J, fuse a couple of demons and summon them before the fight, unlike me! :frogdunce:

"Boss Event End"

Roma Calor is Maragi but the damage scales based on how low your HP is. It's...pretty poo poo tbh.

Hey jackass, wake up!

You beat me, buddy. I've never met a Summoner as rockin' as you. Guess it's time I retired...

By the way, I think that demon maybe possessed your girl.

How do I bring her back?

I've never seen a demon like that before... Sorry, man.

AWOOOOOOOOOOOO. LEAVE IT TO ME, SUMMONER!!

Look, you can have this. I'm not gonna need it anymore.

I guess I'll have to start playing for change on the street...

*sigh* Great, what now?

Huh?!

Hitomi! You're okay!

Geez! Don't do that!

Hitomi!

Hello? Tomato? It's me, Nemissa.

This is that Paradigm X place, huh? Hahaha! It's interesting.

Hitomi keeps bugging me, so I'll make this quick. Meet up with me at the HQ. See ya!

Paradigm X? Nemissa, wait!

ME CONFUSED, SUMMONER.

Same Cunhur, same.

"Hideout"

:stonk:

Why do you think!?:stonk:

Bwhahaha! Surprised, aren't you? I was pretty surprised myself. You see, Nemissa can enter Paradigm X now! I think it was one of that Moowis demon's powers. I was suddenly able to do that after he tried to possess me.

I mean, that sounds cool and all but... What about Hitomi?

Hitomi, are you okay?

Y-Yes... I'm surprised, too, but I'm fine...

What about Moowis?

Don't worry. That Moowis guys disappeared once we got to Paradigm X.

Oh, you were crying the entire time, huh. But too bad! I say we're going, so we're going!

If you don't want to wait until you can find a Terminal, Back-Upper is your best friend. It takes 2 spaces of memory but the value it provides is huge. I won't be using it though, cool kids don't rely on save states.:smug:

God, she's so pretty...

"Paradigm X"

The idea of being turned into data sounds really cool...

That was fun! Let's do it again!

I know right!? Hitomi's such a wimp. It's funny.

You mean the Boutique?

I've always hated these clothes! They're awful and tacky!

Are they?

"Boutique"

Nemissa, please...

This is a good opportunity to change.

(What!? What're you saying!? Who knows what'll happen if I let you decide what I wear...)

(Hee hee! Argue all you want, but you're not going to stop me. Time to get my fash on!)

(Nemissa! Don't you dare! Hey!)

So... How's business these days?

Well, I can't complain.

Check on my sick plushie.

YES Can I even answer that?

The total comes out to...

All right. Don't bother wrapping them up, I'll wear them out. Bye!

Huh? They're not real clothes, you know. This is cyberspace...?

. . .

Er... Miss?

Exploring Paradigm X with your demons will still eat up Magnetite, so remember to return them to the COMP.

As the owner of 2 bnuys, this is just the usual routine.

You seem more at peace here than in the physical world.

...Do you know Nemissa?

Unfortunately, I do not have time to explain. Pawah, I have a favour to ask of you. I want you to undergo another Vision Quest. I shall be waiting for you at the theater. Come when you are ready.

Oh, we're trapped in here until we do the Vision Quest.

Don't be fooled by his fluffiness.

"Redman"

This being your second time, I assume you are aware of what a Vision Quest entails. There are no words to describe the soul. You can only use your own soul to absorb the full experience.

The next soul you will contact is that of a man named Judah Singh. He was a Dark Summoner. In a way, he was in the exact opposite position as yourself.

Dark Summoners are those who use their abilities for selfish needs, instead of using the power of demons for the greater good. Urabe was also a Dark Summoner.

But, the root of the calamity can be seen in his final moments. Now, Pawah, open the eyes within your heart. Communication between souls is a question of the spirit. You must find the answer with all your body and soul.

"Urabe's Death"

Wait... THE Amami Airport?! So we will finally see what happened there...

In case you're wondering... Yes, Judah's sax is a COMP.

The explosion at Amami Airport, the source of the calamity, Judah Singh... There's so much to uncover! In the next update, of course.:atlus:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Nemissa is the one lacking style

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

It's true, I like the original outfit better

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Judah is a pretty cool dude.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Slaan posted:

Nemissa is the one lacking style

Agreed, she looked cuter before. Nemissa needs to learn about clothes.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I admit I at least partly bought the game because Nemissa (+ new outfit) was on the cover, so I favor the new outfit just a little.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Judah, play Giant Steps you coward

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
A demon summoning saxophone is insanely stylish.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

At this point, it's obvious that Nemissa is basically a child. An overpowered, demon child, but a child. And that's why she wants to wear an outfit like that. (It does work better with the undeathly pallor she gives Hitomi's body while she's in control.)

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I remember stumbling across the TV Tropes page for this game ages ago and being intrigued. Happy to finally get to experience it.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
Judah gives me big Yu-Gi-Oh vibes.

I started this when it came out but bounced off pretty quickly, so it's good to see what I missed out on.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 7: Vision Quest 2: He who haunts.

"Amami Airport (Vision Quest)"

Before starting the second Vision Quest, let's check on Judah's demons. The song that plays during this dungeon is one of my favourites in the game.

Magic
Zio: Deals Electric damage to a single target. Has a chance to inflict Shock.
Zan: Deals Force damage to a single target.
Mazio: Deals Electric damage with a splash effect. Has a chance to inflict Shock.

Extra
Meat Bullet: Deals poo poo damage when you use it. Chance of causing a game over when the enemy has it.
Mist Slash: Deals Slash damage to the front row from left to right.

Hello again, Meat Bullet...:smugjones:

Magic
Dormina: Attempts to inflict Sleep to a single target.
Rakunda: Decreases enemy defense. Stacks up to 4 times (10%-20%-30%-40%).

Extra
Short Jab: Deals Strike damage to a single target.
Defense Kuzushi: Deals Skill damage to a single target. Guarding enemies take higher damage.

Rakunda? 10/10 demon.

Magic
Recarm: Revives an ally with little HP.
Posumudi: Cures Poison.
Petradi: Cures Petrification.
Estoma: Prevents low level random encounters. Lasts for 1 moon cycle.

Not a single offensive skill...? Okay.

Bufu: Deals Ice damage to a single target. Has a chance to inflict freeze.
Media: Recovers HP to the entire party (Low)
Diarama: Recovers HP to a single target (High)

Extra
Loyal Ice: Deals Ice damage to all enemies, damage scales with Loyalty.

Be better, be like Silky.

"Judah Battle"

Just like Urabe, Judah has a unique battle theme. To the no one's surprise, it loving slaps. :sax:

Huh, strange. I don't see another path to reach the 3rd floor.

Sorry, but can you open the locks manually at the Administrative Counters?

Very well.

The first one's on 1F, the second's on 2F, and the last one's on B1F.

I have to unlock them in order? What a pain. So, 1F, 2F, then B1F, right? I can remember that.

Here's the first one.

All right... Onto the second floor... What a pain...

I can cast Diarama to heal Maruts after he uses Meat Bullet, so...

Wow, good job Maruts, 12 damage. :dumbbravo: Why do I even bother with that skill?

...Whoa, whoa. I was just joking. Don't look at me like that, s-some of my best friends are Indian, man.

Oh yeah, there was something I wanted to ask you, o wise one. It's about demon personalities.

As much as I would like to tell this guy to gently caress off, this it's a good chance to talk about the personalities.

Not only magic attacks, any offensive skill that counts as "magic" works. Ailments? Debuffs? Spells? You name it. Sly demons take ages to gain loyalty, so the best way to raise it is by giving them expensive gifts such as jewelry.

Kind demons also love using buffs, even offensive ones such as Tarukaja/Makakaja/Sukukaja.

Not much to say about this one. Both basic attacks and skills work to build loyalty.

Sorry, but I'm busy. Ask another Summoner.

Oh, look who thinks he's too good to help others. You just don't wanna tell me.

Eat poo poo.

The airport also has damage tiles, for some reason...

NYA terminal? More like PYON terminal, get it?

In any other game, a heal and a save spot could be interpreted as the game being kind.

Unfortunately, we're playing an Atlus game...

"Suspicious Occasion"

That face... You're... Rei Reiho, aren't you? You're one of those Kuzunoha, our archenemy...

Anyone who has played the original Devil Summoner, or at least knows about the plot, must be making GBS threads their pants right now. Just like Nemissa, Rei Reiho was the co-protagonist of her game.

I challenge you! My name is Judah Singh! By my honor, I shall claim your life!

Hm... So that means you're... Sorry, but I don't plan on dying today.

"Event Battle 1"

Human - Rei Reiho

HP: ???
Lv. 39

Skills
Maragion: Deals Fire damage to all enemies.
Megido: Deals Almighty damage to a single target.
Hamaon: Expel-based skill with a chance to instantly kill all targets.
Diarahan: Fully restores HP.

Jesus... And that was just a basic attack.

She also dodges a LOT of your attacks.

Yeah... Rei Reiho is an scripted battle, you can't defeat her.

Huh?

That's right! The battle might be scripted, but you still need to survive 5 turns against her. If you play on Hard and Judah isn't at full HP, the next Maragion will kill him causing a game over.:ohdear:

"Kuzunoha Family Event"

What are you talking about!? We haven't settled anything yet. Come, Rei! I shall show you the power of the fearless lions of the Singh family!

...Judah, you don't understand what it means to be a Lion of Judah, or even what the Singh name truly means.

What!? What are you trying to say!?

Power used for the wrong purpose isn't fearless, it's merely thoughtless... You're still young; rethink it. Maybe working for a horrible group like Phantom isn't for you after all...

Wait, Rei!

I'm wrong? That can't be...

How foolish... What am I hesitating for...? Letting a Kuzunoha get inside my head. Tch...

...I must complete my mission. All that's left is the basement counter. I should hurry.

Hey... Um, I might have been seeing things, but I thought I saw a woman in a suit roaming around here... I thought I just saw her out of the corner of my eyes, for a split second... I dunno, maybe it's just me.

This is the last one...

Why do I have doubts...? I kill men and demons as ordered, and I live my life in the shadows... Even if I left, what could I do? I only know how to fight. I can't just leave the Society...

How absurd. All that would accomplish is that my name would become that of a traitor...

Heh... This is definitely not the time for me to be lost in thought. I'm a fighter, my answers all lie in battle. My objective is the control room. I hope you're ready for me, Demon...

THE URBAN TERROR IS HERE? CRAP!

They have this awful skill called happy trigger and the damage is...:dogstare:

Luckily their AI is pretty stupid and they tend to spam this skill instead.

I'll give the enemies here a proper introduction later.

Oh yeah? Two can play that game!

...Can you help me for a sec? I still don't really understand the behavioral tendencies of my demons. Their personalities are Dumb and Calm.

Dumb demons like it when you use the Go command. Just... be mindful of their skills, unless you want an Oliver situation.

Calm demons are my favourite type; I guess you could call them an advanced version of Dumb demons. Their IA does whatever is best at the moment. Party is low on health? They'll use a healing skill. Everyone is fine? They'll cast offensive skills. However, Judah is wrong when saying "Don't order them" If you can successfully predict their actions based on your party and the enemy, you'll gain their respect. I'll properly show it when I get a Calm demon.

Sorry, but I just don't have the time right now. Try asking another Summoner.

Gotcha. No worries, I know you're on a big assignment right now. I want to become a strong Summoner like you someday soon.

(Is that really the truth...? Heh. I can't believe I'm letting that girl's words make me question my beliefs...)

(I don't have time to contemplate such pointless matters now. It's time to work.)

Oh, Judah...

"Suspicious Occasion"

I am Judah Singh! I bear the name of the lion who guards the holy throne! By my honor, I challenge you.

...Announce yourself, Demon. How are you called?

Manitou? Are you talking about the Manitou net...?

Has it not finished creating a body yet? It looks like it just appeared here. Forgive me, but this is my job. Prepare yourself.

"Event Battle 1" :siren: Vs. Winpe:siren:

Cyber - Winpe

HP 3159
Lv. 18
Nulls: Expel, Death, Nerve, Curse, Gun, Strike
Repels: Mind

Skills:
Diarama: Recovers HP to a single target (High)
MAG Drainer: Deals almighty damage to the demon with the highest MAG cost. May Petrify.
Dekaja: Removes all enemy buffs.
Demon Birth Cry: Deals Almighty damage to a target in the Front Row. Has splash damage.
Spin Slash: Deals Slash damage to all enemies.

Winpe is quite tough, his moves aren't that impressive but chewing through 3159 HP can take a long time. For reference, Moowis only had 578 HP. If any of Judah's demons get petrified, just use Petradi. If Oshira-sama gets petrified, I'm hosed. If you're having trouble dealing damage you can try and recruit Gu Huo Niao, she has Tarukaja and it's pretty cute.

"Boss Event End"

But still, this is strange... It looked like it just appeared... It was incomplete... Why would it cause this...? And the name it kept calling... Manitou...

"Suspicious Occasion"

What!?

Tch! It's still alive!? Where!? Where is it hiding!?

Wait! It's inside the computer!?

Dammit! It's trying to blow the place!?

The Amami Airport explosion...

Is this it for me...? Is my life going to end here?

What was my life...? What answer did the path I believed in take me to...?

No... I cannot die... I have yet to...

"Redman"

But there are those who become lost. There are those who end their lives while they're still lost.

There is one path. But it becomes a different path depending on who walks it.

Pawah, go to the airport. That warrior is still lost, awaiting your arrival.

Walk the path of that warrior and find your answer.

Judah...

Now awaken, Pawah. Arise and go to the airport.

I don't know why I gave Strength 2 points, my past self must have been moved by Judah's death or something.

"Hideout"

Fade to black.

Vision Quest... So you experience other humans' lives through your own soul?

So that's how you knew the COMP's password.

Still, who is this Kinap character? He knows Nemissa and he can show you the souls of others... I don't understand.

He said that a catastrophe was coming to this city, huh? Is he talking about those Phantom guys and their plans for the city?

But he said to go to the airport next, right? What's the connection between the airport and Phantom?

I'm not sure what they'd have to do with Amami Airport, but that's the only airport I can think of...

Oh. Look, there's something new on Summoner Net.

Winpe and Finnegan, eh? This should be interesting...

So this is the connection to Phantom, huh? Then we're going there, too. If everything goes well, we'll learn about Phantom's plan AND Kinap's plans.

The airport is on the north side of Amami Bay. Let's go.

If you're thinking about going to the airport ASAP to kick Finnegan's rear end, hold on a second... We have another secret conversation between Yu-Ichi and Six if you return to the hideout.

She's gaming.

No, I'm not, Six. Don't say things like that. I'm an only child, so I'm just jealous of people who have siblings. Don't you feel that way, too, Six?

I feel you, Yu-Ichi...

What're you talking about? I'm... I... Huh?

Six?

...Yeah, I'm not jealous. Now come on. If we're heading out, let's hurry up. drat, why do I always have to do the babysitting...? See you later, Tomatoe. You too, Hitomi.

And that's it for this update. Are you in the mood for a secret boss battle against an urban legend? Because that's what we'll be doing in the next update. :atlus:

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 12, 2024

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Well, we ended up with Urabe's Gun PC, are we gonna end up with Judah's sweet sax, too? Maybe Nemissa is going to belt out sick tunes during fights?

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

PurpleXVI posted:

Well, we ended up with Urabe's Gun PC, are we gonna end up with Judah's sweet sax, too? Maybe Nemissa is going to belt out sick tunes during fights?

:allears:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A sax is definitely better than that three piece flail, I can't imagine using that being very comfortable, or practical.

Frozenen
Nov 6, 2022
As long as you don't think about actually using it the flail does look amazing.

When I played this late tutorial about demon personalities was very helpful. But even knowing how to do it I avoided dumb demons on account of them being frustrating to build loyalty for.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
It's a three-section staff, which is a real weapon. I don't know how practical it actually is, especially compared to, say, a knife, but you can find demonstrations and such online.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Frozenen posted:

As long as you don't think about actually using it the flail does look amazing.
A mechanic where ineffective but cool looking weapons helped with demon negotiation would be neat

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Well, Nemissa looks very good in her leather outfit.
Hitomi is cuter in her original costume.

Those are the woes of two girls in one body. Even if one of them is a demon.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Foxfire_ posted:

A mechanic where ineffective but cool looking weapons helped with demon negotiation would be neat

I think that's the one where you give your weapon to them.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Quackles posted:

I think that's the one where you give your weapon to them.

And even then, demons ask for specific weapons, such as this one. You can only get them through Mystic Change at the Goumaden once Sly demons reach Lv. 5 Loyalty-- Huh, so that's why they take so long. :magemage:

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 13, 2024

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

TomatoPawah posted:

This is the team I'll be using against the boss. If you're wondering how am I using an Extra Law demon and a Chaos demon... Well, I used the Alignment hack. I forgot that Extra Law/Extra Chaos demons will prevent units from the opposite alignment to be summoned.

I always read those as "Extremist Law/Chaos", seems more fitting.

TomatoPawah posted:

[...] Aeon Rain is by far the most devastating move, but she doesn't use it all that much.

- he says, after almost wiping to two consecutive Aeon Rains in the first two turns :xd:

TomatoPawah posted:

Surely, the internet powers that be will revoke his access privileges. The internet wasn't made for sickos like that!

:lmao:

TomatoPawah posted:

Some treasure chests have demons inside. To get the loot, you'll need to fight and defeat them first. Also that battle theme is loving amazing! It's a shame that you only get to hear it during these rare battles.

I know, right? And the battles are usually too easy for such an energetic theme. Feels like an discarded boss theme they just slotted in wherever you could.

TomatoPawah posted:

NYA terminal? More like PYON terminal, get it?

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Petiso posted:

- he says, after almost wiping to two consecutive Aeon Rains in the first two turns :xd:

Yeah I was chuckling too when I recorded the fight after writing that, but I had to endure it for the sake of the LP. In my first attempt, even when not using the insulated clothes, casting Makakaja/Rakunda x2 causes the boss to literally melt against Nemissa.

Petiso posted:

I know, right? And the battles are usually too easy for such an energetic theme. Feels like an discarded boss theme they just slotted in wherever you could.

Luckily, the song is back in the update I'm writing right now!

:mmmsmug:

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 8: Amami Bypass

"2D Field"

That is so annoying. I have no idea who did it. Is it some kind of anonymous lurker? That's so not hot.

I wonder WHO did that... :)

Work is totally not happening today. I'm going to call in sick.

I like the VR Park the best right now. It doesn't cost anything to enter, and it's relaxing, so I like it a lot.

If I remember correctly, the Amami Bypass was located at the Amami Bay.

:magemage:

"Hideout"

It's been a while since we last used the PC.

:unsmith:

Paradigm X... I wonder if we could find more information about the Amami Bypass there.

"Paradigm X"

Paradigm X is a major focus of the Amami City project. It's not just a game. Until Paradigm X in complete, Amami City isn't a fully-functioning test case.

Does SA have a Beach Forum?

"Forum 2"

I hear you can go into the paintings at the VR Art Museum. That's definitely something you can only do in cyberspace!

Have you heard? Paradigm X is going to start something called "VR Tours." I'm sure it'll be pretty good, but it can't beat the real thing.

Two years ago I was in California, and last year Cote d'Azur... I was planning to visit Phuket this year, but until then, this'll have to do.

Hm... Nothing interesting here.

In the end, no matter how angry I am about it, I feel like a bird locked up in a cage. At least my heart soars freely!

Whenever I get home, the first thing I do is turn on my PC and check my email. I get really happy when I have a message, but it bums me out when I don't have anything.

When you get to my age, you can count the number of times you talk to young folk on one hand. Being in here and talking to people makes me feel young again. Not as young as this avatar, though!

Nope.

"Forum 1"

I've been using computers for so long, I've forgotten how to properly write in kanji anymore. They call it "word processor syndrome." But, you know, it's not all that bad, so I don't care about fixing it.

Hey, did you know what? There's a rumor that grown-ups are making deals down at the pet shop. That's why I haven't seen many pets around...

There's something I need to know right now. I apologize for asking so rudely, but...

I do.

I see...

I do. Also they're hot.

You do? I have one last thing to ask you, then. This may sound crazy, but... Have you heard of humans who control demons, and use them to fight other demons in the dark places of the world?

You mean Summoners?

Huh! So you do know... I'd like to talk with you a little more, but I'd rather not do it here... Meet me in front of the bank.

Now that's the info I was looking for...

Just get on with it.

You knew about Summoners. So I want to ask you... Is there a way for someone to... contact a Summoner?

Leave it to me.

You can contact a Summoner!? I can't believe it!

Okay game, I get it! I'm already here, you don't need to give me so many "choices" lmao.

You will? You see... The Amami Bypass isn't actually under construction. It's closed because of a ghost. Well... It's more like a demon. I want that demon defeated.

I'm already here. What am I going to say, no?

Thank you. I really appreciate it. Get to the Bypass through the Yurashima toll both. The demon appears at the construction site in Amami Bay. Civilians aren't allowed into the area, so have the Summoner tell the guard that they want to speak to "Nose." If the summoner defeats that monster, let's meet here again. I'd like to thank you.

Yurashima, Nose, Amami Bypass. Got it. I wonder if my demons are up to the task...

Excuse me, but... what am I supposed to say in situations like this?

What do you mean, "what"? You say whatever you want, of course.

I see... I am not experienced in conversating with people other than Master Victor...

Really? You're an odd one...

Mary?

Yurashima is unlocked much later in the main story. But hey, that's why this is a secret quest.

We came here for a mystery and we already have another one, sheesh.

All the chips that power the computers that are the backbone of Amami City are made right here.

Algon Microelectronics...

Of course Phantom is here too... Is this the same racist guy from before?

We want to speak to "Nose"

I must say, there's a terrifying rumor about this road going around. They say that the road has many holes which will pull you in with a mysterious force. Anyone pulled in has never been seen again. You can avoid the holes, though...

Okay Cunhur, you're up.

ME OBEY, SUMMONER.

"Amami Bypass"

AWOOOOOOOO

First of all, the whole Cunhur bit is obviously made up. I have no idea why you start speeding through the Amami Bypass with Nemissa.

"Treasure Chest Battle"

Stepping in the holes will trigger a random encounter. These enemies are not that powerful, but can easily wear you down before you reach the end..

Not like Nemissa cares.

To those who've played SMT Nocturne. Remember that weird tunnel where you punch orbs to get Macca? I had the same mix between confusion and amusement with these two minigames.

Two more to go, I'll just skip ahead a bit.

I should summon my demons just in case, I don't want another Carol J situation.

Oh, never mind. The game gives you a few free steps before the boss.

"Suspicious Occasion"

Ah... Are you Nose?

"Event Battle" :siren:Vs. Speed Demon:siren:

Undead - Headless Rider (Side Quest version)

HP: 396
Lv. 17
Nulls: Ice, Elec, Death, Mind, Nerve, Curse
Resists: Expel

Skills:
Wild Freezer: Deals Ice damage to Wild demons.
Sly Charmer: Deals Curse damage and charms Sly demons.
Beating Kindness: Deals Force damage to Kind demons.

Rumor - Speed Demon

HP: 959
Lv. 18
Drains: Electricity

Skills:
Happy Trigger: Heavy Gun damage to all enemies.
Arm Chopper: Slash damage to a single enemy.
Dormina: Attempts to inflict Sleep to a single enemy.

This battle is pretty unique and I need to talk about the 3 Headless Riders first.
Turn 1: Headless Rider 1 will use Wild Freezer. Cunhur nulls Ice by default so it's a free turn.
Turn 2: Headless Rider 2 will use Sly Charmer. I don't have Sly demons so, another free turn.
Turn 3: Headless Rider 3 will use Beating Kindness. I have 2 Kind demons, Apsaras and Gu Huo Niao. In my testing, this skill will always kill Gu Huo Niao even with 4 Rakukaja stacks so it's pretty dangerous.
Turn 4: All 3 Headless Riders will guard and Speed Demon will cast a skill, usually Happy Trigger. This can be avoided by killing all 3 Headless Riders before turn 4.
Turn 5: Both the Headless Riders and Speed Demons will guard/skip their turn.

Would you please take a look at their resistances? Both the boss and his minions null/drain Electricity and are weak to Fire. Wasn't the Electric build the best? What happened there? :mmmsmug: Smugness aside, I recommend watching the video, I wanted to make it a bit more interesting by killing all 3 riders at the same time and the results were...interesting. Gu Huo Niao gaming.
Oh, I almost forgot. If you're playing on Hard, you may want a demon with Rakukaja and/or Tarunda... The damage Happy Trigger can deal is ridiculous.

Yeah, yeah...just die already.

A human that transformed into a demon... It happens sometimes.

Um... I don't think it's all that common...

Shhhh!

...Was someone watching us just now?

Huh, strange. He must be in front of the bank.

You old fox..

Now, he can finally rest in peace. Thank you.

You're welcome, old man.

By the way, I need your ID to thank you properly...

Showing your ID to a random stranger online? Aye, sure.

I see. I doubt we'll ever meet again... Take care. Farewell!

"Paradigm Bank"

:dogstare:

Phew... Not bad. I'll leave this money here, let's see how much it can grow.

Shops have a few new weapons. I buy a knife and two pistols, both with higher damage and excellent accuracy. If you want to see the exact values, here you go.

Wait... Padded Armor? Climbing Boots? When was the last time I upgraded Nemissa's armor?! No wonder why she's getting creamed by demons lately. :bravo:

Let's fix that.

Before:

After

We're ready for the Airport now.:getin:

We arrive at uncharted territory, surrounded by Phantom members. Our task? Defeat Winpe and Finnegan at the top. But more importantly...we need to save Judah! See you in the next update :atlus:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I love hidden quests and stuff. Cool.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Here he comes, here comes Speed Demon, he's a racer on wheels...

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

TomatoPawah posted:

Rumor - Speed Demon

This is a great design!

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

Update 9: Amami Airport

"Amami Airport (Reality)"

Just like Algon NS, we have two different songs. I personally prefer the Vision Quest version.

Ummmmm, we were told to, uh... We're supposed to patrol the area.

You don't seem very dependable... Did you just become Summoners? I can't believe we got rookies here. Geez.

Phantom members being clowns as usual.

I heard the Phantom Society's short on men, but... Look, you sure you're up for this? You better not freak out or anything, Finnegan's leading the operation this time. He won't fail.

All right, you continue your patrol. Judah's ghost might be around, but if you can't cope with that, you need to quit.

Judah's what...?

"Battle Conversation"

Kamen Nobuta 9

Kamen Nobuta!? I've never heard of them. And there's 9 of them?

Hey, I'm actually really into video games right now!

I'm actually playing that game right now!

OMG, same!

Let's see... I'm at the part where you talk to this human named Tomato... Hey wait. What's your name again?

Tomato

Th-Then what world am I living in right now!? I-I don't know what's going on anymore! D-Do you know anything about this!? This is actually pretty exciting stuff!

I was laughing my rear end off when I recorded this bit, what a way to start the dungeon, eh?

So that's what the Phantom guy meant with "Judah's ghost."

Moh Shuvuu! :swoon: Too bad I can't recruit her.

She looks like an older demon, so...

Evening news.

Yes, you're right. The news is the best source for finding dirt on society. Oh, that reminds me. You know, I really like listening to music. I bet you never thought about demons listening to music before.

CDs.

That's right. Yup, demons can get CDs, too. Now then. I'm tired of chatting, so let's finish that and get to ¥ talks.

Phew...

:argh:

If you wanna raise the loyalty of Dumb demons, give 'em the "GO" sign. They like being trusted. Plus, if you try to order them around too much, they won't listen and their loyalty will decrease. So while their loyalty is low, just suck it up and let them handle business. It's kind of a pain, but it's just the way they are.

quote:

:tif:

Calm demons don't gain loyalty very easily... But Finnegan's demons are all fond of him. He must have given them some rare gift.

I should take care of the 2 Moh Shuvuus first, otherwise they'll start using Dia to heal the--

Big mistake. :unsmigghh:

I called Roma Calor "poo poo" a few updates ago. While keeping Nemissa on low HP is pretty dangerous, it can be pretty good if you know how and when to time your healing skills.

I always wanted to ride one of these.

THERE ARE THINGS THAT YOU WILL ONLY UNDERSTAND AFTER A LONG TIME. ANSWER ME, HUMAN.

The best partners.

PARTNERS, HMM... THEN, YOU WISH TO COEXIST WITH US? VERY WELL. I SHALL ACCOMPANY YOU.

Friendship with humans has ended, now demons are my best friends.

No Cunhur violence allowed during this update.

Do we look like Phantom to you?

...You're not one of them? Oh, thank goodness... What are they doing here? They were carrying weapons. On top of that... I saw monsters... A-Anyway, I'm just gonna hide out here until they leave... You two be safe, too.

That's the m--

:supaburn: :supaburn:

Okay, time to be risky. Being in the back row not only reduces the chance of being targeted, but also your speed. Nemissa had her armor recently upgraded so...she should be fine.

And of course, our newly recruited demons.

Hm...

Oh yeah, remove any armor piece that makes you weak to Fire, these things have Maragi and it HURTS.

Heh. Even at this age, I still love a good ride.

:smith:

Have you heard of Reiko Kashima? She's a Japanese urban legend. Reiko will ask people in bathrooms at night where her legs are. Answering incorrectly will cause her to rip off your legs. The design is another banger, classic Rumor race W. She's strong against Magic and loves to spam an agility debuff...

Oh, we're back here. Okay.

I don't know what my past self was thinking to use Roma Calor at full HP. :confused:

:getin:

Phew! That's 1F and B1F. Back to the Goumaden, let's see what we can fuse.

"Hotel Goumaden"

Rakukaja? Easy pick.

Oho~ That's a fantastic upgrade to my beloved Cunhur.

315 EXP to level up...

I hate having to do this, but I need that gorilla.

Beast demons, my beloved.

"Normal Battle"

Nemissa's Ice Path sucks because a lot of demons null Dark. The Fire build has Hama, which is the opposite of Dark. Hama is really good against undead enemies, take a look at this!

:cawg:

We're being watched by someone. Nemissa doesn't know if it's an enemy or a friend, but... Whoever it is, this person is strong.

Terminal and Healing Spot? Nice...

Because he got wasted, we're here cleaning up his mess now. That little shiftless blowhard.

It's always this loving guy...

You guys new here, huh? You having problems raising your demons' loyalty?

Kind Demons.

As their loyalty goes up, they'll step in and take hits for you. It's not a problem when they listen, but when they ignore your orders to attack, their loyalty'll go down. When that happens, give them flowers or something to get on their good side.

Wild Demons.

Also, giving them food is good. By the way, gifts can actually hurt your relationship if you give the wrong thing. Know your demons. Finnegan said the damage they deal goes up as their loyalty increases.

Sly demons.

But during battle, their loyalty doesn't really waver.

That's all, thanks.

Whatever. I guess you're one of those guys that likes to learn by doing, huh?

Crushed.

Was he here all this time, waiting for someone?

:smith:

The Waste Facility can be found in the East side of B1F.

Even after dying, Judah still manages to help you. What a chad. Too bad we can't take the Sax with us.

Thank you, Judah. May you find peace.

He disappeared...

That ghost... He wanted you to have that Memory Card. But... it seemed like there was something else he wanted, too...

His demons are still here. A true Summoner till the end. :kiddo:

Finnegan! :argh:

They just said an operation is commencing at the Control Room, right? Off to the Control Room, then!

I'll try to recruit as many demons as possible before Finnegan. There are a few treasure chests around here.

In B2F, South-East side, you can find this. Now, what the hell is a Black Panel?

First, go to a Terminal. The Black Panel is a COMP app.

If you enter a fight with the Black Panel, every single party member/empty slot will look like this. Can I get a Heeeeee-ho?

Only one way to go...

Our stats and demons. Let's do this!

"Suspicious Occasion"

There you are... Winpe!

"Finnegan's Entrance"

That demon... Did you kill it?

Who are you? What are you two doing here?

What are YOU doing here!? Is this part of Phantom's plans?

(Shh! Quiet!)

Not only do you know about the Society, but you also seem to know our goals... You're Kuzunoha, right?

Kuzunoha...? Who's that? Um, we're...

Don't bother. It'll all be meaningless once you're dead. Now you'll curse the day you ran into Finnegan.

Why are you acting so tough!? We'll teach you to show some respect!

Summoner vs Summoner, I challenge you!

Hahaha! Do you really think I'd waste my time on kids like you?

Don't worry. They're more than enough to kill you small-timers. Well, you kids have fun... Fun for the rest of your lives! Muahahahaha...

What's with that guy!? That was iiincredibly ruuuude!

That no-good, shades-wearing jerk! Who does he think he is? Hey get out of my way!

"Event Battle 2" :siren:Vs. Finnegan Demons:siren:

Drake - Bai Suzhen

HP: 178
Lv. 21
Nulls: Death
Repels: Electricity

Skills:
Scratch: Deals Slash damage to the enemy front line with splash damage to the back line.
Marin Karin: Attempts to inflict Charm to a single enemy.

Snake - Yata no Kami

Lv. 22
HP: 197
Nulls: Strike, Gun

Skills:
Mazio: Deals Electric damage with a splash effect. Has a chance to inflict Shock.
Sukunda: Decreases accuracy to all enemies. Stacks up to 4 times.
Paral Eyes: Attempts to inflict Paralysis to a single enemy. Can only target the front row if user is on the back.

Wilder - Jueyuan

HP: 197
Lv. 23
Resists: Physical

Skills:
Agilao: Deals medium Fire damage to a single target.
Sukukaja: Increases the accuracy of the entire party. Stacks up to 4 times.
Fold: Deals Skill damage to a single target.

Femme - La Llorona

HP: 223
Lv. 27
Repels: Death

Skills:
Media: Recovers HP to the entire party (Low)
Frolic: Attempts to inflict Charm to the enemy front row.
Scratch: Deals Slash damage to the enemy front line with splash damage to the back line.

I...don't know what to say about this "boss." They're not even powered up versions, just normal enemies. This is easily the least memorable encounter in the game. I guess you should avoid using physical attacks against Jueyan. It's safe to use a sword against Yata no Kami to ignore his Strike/Gun immunity.

"Kuzunoha Family Event"

Huh!?

Who are you? What are you talking about? How long have you been here?

I've been watching for a while. I saw your fight. That was pretty impressive stuff for a bunch of kids.

A while? So that's why it felt like we were being watched on the way here... Are you a member of Phantom?

Sorry, Miss. My name's Sukeroku. I'm the Kuzunoha he was talking about. But let's talk about who you are. You're not Phantom, and you're not Kuzunoha. Yet, the boy's a Summoner... Care to fill me in?

W-We're... Well... How should I say this...?

You don't have to tell me now if you don't want to. Anyhow, if you're taking on Phantom, I bear you no ill will. You see, I'm here because I heard my tomboy of a partner was somewhere in this general area. I'm looking for her...

Hm... I've never met anyone like that... So, is she your lover or something?

Our relationship is a bit too complicated to describe to you kids.

I worked a deal with a certain group. I've got some good news for you and your COMP.

I'll explain it to you in person. Head back to the HQ.

Sorry for any inconvenience I caused. If we're both dealing with Phantom, I'm sure we'll meet again. Take care!

Kuzunoha... Hmmm, that name appears on Summoner Net, too. I didn't think there were others who were fighting the Phantom Society besides us...

Really...?

Well, we can't spend any more time standing around thinking. Let's go back to the HQ. We need to hear what Leader has to say.

Too bad we couldn't kick Finnegan's rear end... Oh well.

"Hideout"

There's a pair known as Reticulian there. To the public, they're known as the club's DJs, but they're actually both incredible skilled hackers. Their code is pure brilliance. They can even hold their own against Algon's resident genius, Kadokura. I've asked them to improve the software you're using. Everything's been taken care of. Just go talk to them.

I'll take you there. It's pretty much around the corner.

Good to go.

"2D Field"

Ngh!

That's your dad, Lunch? Hi, mister...

Don't waste your breath. He's not worth talking to. Let's go.

Junnosuke, are you okay? Are you eating? Answer me, Junnosuke!

...Just shut up! You're no longer my father! You're just like every other jerk in this world!

Ouch...

C'mon. Let's stop wasting time, Tomatoe.

"EL-115"

Oh, so it's you two. We're Reticulian. I'm Alpha, and this is my brother, Beta. Nice to meet you.

Well, hello! We've been waiting for you. I'm Beta. It's a pleasure.

Uh, it's nice to meet you, too...

I didn't know what to expect from one of Spooky's friends, but you're actually kind of cute.

Behave, Beta. You always go all unprofessional when a good-looking guy walks in.

Classic Atlus joke where the punchline is "This character acts like a gay stereotype." *sigh*

I've heard the general story from Spooky. So, you can summon demons, huh?

You could say that, yes...

...Well, first things first. Let's see this COMP thing of yours. Hmm. It certainly is strange. You can really summon demons with this thing? Let me have a closer look.

Right, but it won't activate unless Tomato is the one using it.

Oh, really? So it's got some kind of biometric scanner, then? What a cheeky little thing... What is this keyboard? This isn't any language I've ever seen. Are you sure it's compatible with our machines?

quote:

Tbh, the COMP doesn't make a lot of sense.

Simmer down. I've already take a look at the sample Spooky sent us. Just sit tight and let ol' Beta shine. The script was a bit of a hassle to deal with, but it wasn't a problem for someone of my genius.

I see. Well, I'll just let you deal with it, then. As promised, we'll provide an update to the software that you've been using.

I love this dialogue.

It's usually our policy to not accept personal requests, but it's a referral by Spooky, and the job is interesting.

Honestly, if you were butt-ugly, I'd've refused the instant you walked in the door.

Of course, our services won't be free. We'll only charge you wholesale, though, so be grateful.

Oh, it's over. At EL-115 you can buy COMP apps. Some are terrible, some are insanely useful.

Gulliver Magic: Restores HP with every step.
Time Girl: Displays the current time.
Finders Keepers: Raises item drop rate.
Nurse Call: Restores HP when summoning in battle.
Lady Killer: Raises ability to speak with Female demons.
Albert: Prevents fusion loss when using the COMP.

I have a lot of money so I'll buy everything. I'd suggest you to use Lady Killer and Finders Keepers. Getting multiple enemy drops allows you to resell those weapons/items and use them in demon negotiation. Lady Killer can avoid frustrating moments like the Kikimora giving me a Me Patra Stone. :argh:

...And don't bother talking to that bastard. See ya.

Why would Lunch hate his father so much? Oh, Tomato, your phone is ringing.

She just sits there with her eyes wide open. She doesn't react to anything... There's definitely something going on.

Can you come home, Tomato? I need your help.

Nemissa, please...

Huh!? What do you mean I'm being rude? Don't you lecture me, Hitomi!

I missed it! I really wanted to see what the rabbit looked like. Don't you think rabbits are cute?

They're evil.

The Demon Boss makes the hero forget his magic attacks, so he's too weak to beat the Demon Boss. If only I had the item that lets the hero use magic again, then I could beat the game...

He was like, "You like starts? I'll show you a star" and then he started playing a song. He was pretty good.

Sounds familiar...

"Suspicious Occasion"

I don't know what's the matter with her. She's in your room right now. Please check on her, would you?

Tomoko? Tomoko!

It's no use. She's completely unconscious.

No... But why...?

Talk to Tomoko.

It's no good... She doesn't even notice us...

Look at PC.

What are you looking at? Oh, the PC's running Paradigm X... That's the VR Art Museum. You know, at the movie theater? That means Tomoko must have been playing Paradigm X when this happened. But, wait... I've seen this before...

Oh! Why didn't I remember this sooner!? It was you! You were like this! Tomoko looks exactly like you did when you were on your Vision Quests.

Hang on, are you saying that she's on a Vision Quest?

She must be. She must've met Kinap in Paradigm X, like we did. But, if that's the case... Hey, let's go back to HQ. I have an idea.

You did, too. It was when you were on that Vision Quest in Paradigm X after meeting Kinap. There must be something about Paradigm X. If we use Nemissa's power to dive inside, we might be able to save Tomoko.

You want to know about Kinap, too, don't you? If we go now we might be able to meet him. I don't know what Kinap is trying to do, but I can't forgive him for getting Tomoko involved in this. The PC was left at the VR Art Museum, so there should be something going on there.

I love this side of Hitomi, I wish she was like this for the rest of the game.

Hmmm... I feel like I'm being tricked here, but fine, I'll help you this time.

Huh? Hold on, Tomato, there's new info on Summoner Net.

Hey, stop wasting time. We're going to the VR Art Museum, right?

If Kinap is behind this, then he has a lot to explain. :argh: I'll make sure to check this new "Demon Trading System" as well. The VR Art Museum is quite lengthy and its divided into multiple dungeons. See you in the next update! :atlus:

TomatoPawah fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 27, 2024

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

A club called EL-115 and the two guys are named Reticulian? That feels like an X-COM/UFO Enemy Unknown reference, of all things.

Elerium 115 was the fictional element used to power alien technology in the first X-COM game, and Reticulan is one of the names people have invented for classic "Grey" aliens which were the first enemy you'd encounter in X-COM.

TomatoPawah
Sep 22, 2023

PurpleXVI posted:

A club called EL-115 and the two guys are named Reticulian? That feels like an X-COM/UFO Enemy Unknown reference, of all things.

Elerium 115 was the fictional element used to power alien technology in the first X-COM game, and Reticulan is one of the names people have invented for classic "Grey" aliens which were the first enemy you'd encounter in X-COM.

:psyduck:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Black Panel is goals. :allears:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I don't get it either! Maybe it was a completely incomprehensible reference in the original Japanese and it got translated into some niche dorkery for overseas audiences? Or maybe the Japanese devs were just an extremely specific type of nerd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Both X-COM and Soul Hackers are referencing this nutjob from the late 80s/early 90s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Lazar

quote:

Lazar has claimed that the propulsion of the studied vehicle ran on an antimatter reactor[36] and was fueled by the chemical element with atomic number 115 (E115), which at the time was provisionally named ununpentium and had not yet been artificially created.[4][37] (It was first synthesized in 2003 and later named moscovium.)[38] He said that the propulsion system relied on a stable isotope of E115, which allegedly generates a gravity wave that allowed the vehicle to fly and to evade visual detection by bending light around it.[39]

quote:

Lazar has claimed that during his joining the program, he read briefing documents describing the historical involvement of Earth for the past 10,000 years with extraterrestrial beings described as grey aliens from a planet orbiting the twin binary star system Zeta Reticuli. As of September 2019, no extrasolar planets have been found in the Zeta Reticuli system.[43][44] Additionally, the Zeta Reticuli system is too young with an average age of 1.5-3 billion years old.[45] It took 500 million-1 billion years for the first cell to evolve on Earth, and an additional 3 billion years for complex multicellular life to evolve on Earth after the Cambrian explosion (see: History of Earth). In 1989, Lazar said the seats of the saucer he saw were approximately child-sized and that he had seen alien cadavers of a corresponding size.[46][47]