Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Revisiting this game after watching Jojo Part 5, I wonder if Narancia and Fugo were inspirations for these two, we do know this franchise has its fair share of Jojo influences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

TomatoPawah posted:

This is the team I'll be using against the boss. If you're wondering how am I using an Extra Law demon and a Chaos demon... Well, I used the Alignment hack. I forgot that Extra Law/Extra Chaos demons will prevent units from the opposite alignment to be summoned.

I always read those as "Extremist Law/Chaos", seems more fitting.

TomatoPawah posted:

[...] Aeon Rain is by far the most devastating move, but she doesn't use it all that much.

- he says, after almost wiping to two consecutive Aeon Rains in the first two turns :xd:

TomatoPawah posted:

Surely, the internet powers that be will revoke his access privileges. The internet wasn't made for sickos like that!

:lmao:

TomatoPawah posted:

Some treasure chests have demons inside. To get the loot, you'll need to fight and defeat them first. Also that battle theme is loving amazing! It's a shame that you only get to hear it during these rare battles.

I know, right? And the battles are usually too easy for such an energetic theme. Feels like an discarded boss theme they just slotted in wherever you could.

TomatoPawah posted:

NYA terminal? More like PYON terminal, get it?

:cripes:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Both X-COM and Soul Hackers are referencing this nutjob from the late 80s/early 90s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Lazar

quote:

Lazar has claimed that the propulsion of the studied vehicle ran on an antimatter reactor[36] and was fueled by the chemical element with atomic number 115 (E115), which at the time was provisionally named ununpentium and had not yet been artificially created.[4][37] (It was first synthesized in 2003 and later named moscovium.)[38] He said that the propulsion system relied on a stable isotope of E115, which allegedly generates a gravity wave that allowed the vehicle to fly and to evade visual detection by bending light around it.[39]

quote:

Lazar has claimed that during his joining the program, he read briefing documents describing the historical involvement of Earth for the past 10,000 years with extraterrestrial beings described as grey aliens from a planet orbiting the twin binary star system Zeta Reticuli. As of September 2019, no extrasolar planets have been found in the Zeta Reticuli system.[43][44] Additionally, the Zeta Reticuli system is too young with an average age of 1.5-3 billion years old.[45] It took 500 million-1 billion years for the first cell to evolve on Earth, and an additional 3 billion years for complex multicellular life to evolve on Earth after the Cambrian explosion (see: History of Earth). In 1989, Lazar said the seats of the saucer he saw were approximately child-sized and that he had seen alien cadavers of a corresponding size.[46][47]

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

TomatoPawah posted:

His demons are still here. A true Summoner till the end. :kiddo:

Now that I think about it, is it possible to obtain any of Judah's demons before this? If so, would his version of the demon simply not be added to your COMP?

TomatoPawah posted:

I love this dialogue.

It's great. It probably wasn't a big deal when the game first got released in the Saturn but having it in a relatively recent Nintendo console is :discourse:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I also didn't get Snappy's gimmick the first time I played so I just fully buffed with Tarukaja, fully debuffed with Rakunda and slowly but surely reduced those 2k HP with physical attacks :black101:

TomatoPawah posted:

And talking about Dolphin Kick... I'm not entirely sure what this skills does. The Wiki says "Reduces 50% HP to front row enemies, 25% HP to back row enemies" but using my own screenshots and several fights in YT this doesn't seem to be the case. Just assume you'll take unavoidable damage at the start of the fight.

Looking at your screenshot, the damage seems to be exactly 25% or 50% to each character indeed. I'm guessing it's RNG and whoever wrote that coincidentally got a roll where the front row characters got the 50% damage and the back ones 25% so they assumed it always followed that formula since it makes sense.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

TomatoPawah posted:

Rakukaja and Taru/Makakaja are the skills you really want to have around; Rakunda is way harder to get because it belongs to the "Support Affinity". Maybe I'm just coping, but I like how limited fusion is in Soul Hackers. Trying to pass every single skill would make demons less unique, in my opinion. Which is the same reason why I love the Loyalty System, even if can be annoying at times...or you have to deal with Dumb demons. :tif:

I was going to say the same thing. Part of me misses the more restrictive fusion systems since it forced you to make compromises and try different things. In the newest games I feel you just fuse a Dragon Quest party (physical attacker, magical attacker, healer/supporter) that you fuse into stronger versions of themselves every two dungeons.

Man, they're all so randomly hostile towards Six, I guess they're all equipped with weapons that can hurt the demons like the MC is but still I'd say it's Leader, Lunch and Yu-Ichi the ones with a death wish running so carelessly to dens of demons without many means to defend themselves.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I'm taking Six's side here. From a realistic point of view, he's been constantly called a wuss for being the only sane person in the team. It'd be one thing if they started collecting the COMPs of fallen Phantom Society goons or something to defend themselves, but as they're now Leader, Lunch, Six and Yu-Ichi have no business running around dungeons infested with demons unless they're like right next to the MC or Hitomi/Nemissa. His fault is lashing out at a kid that just went through a traumatic experience but his stance is understandable.

Usually demons' designs are top-notch but Union Jack Leprechaun is the wrongest thing ever.

Oh, I didn't know he used your own demons when going 1 on 1, I assumed he used the same team as with Nemissa, that's really cool.

They really hate Ikusa, don't they?

TomatoPawah posted:

If you're wondering... Yes, I replayed the game all the way up here just to take those screenshots. :) Don't judge me.

Jesus Christ, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

TomatoPawah posted:

Full HP and TP restore, nice.

Someone's been playing too much Etrian Odyssey :cheeky:

TomatoPawah posted:

Everyone has memories they've buried... But sometimes, evil takes hold of those memories. Once possessed by evil, the memory twists in the shadows of the heart, and eventually gives birth to a personal demon.

SMT If... is usually credited as the precursor of the Persona spinoff series with its high school setting and guardian angel system but I believe the VR dungeons in this game are the precursors of the personal dungeons that became a staple in those games later on.