Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
(There's no longer a thread in TVIV specifically for Adult Swim, but if you want to talk about their shows there, I would direct you to the Animation for Adults thread. If you want to talk about other Adult Swim shows here, then that's still perfectly cool, just know that you won't get as many replies/interest as you may want)

:siren: Spoiler policy :siren: (for ADTRW regulars): please don't post spoilers for shows just in case we have people going in blind watching them. Well, unless you want to spoil one of the never-ending shonen shows like Naruto, 'cause no one gives a poo poo.

Welcome to the Toonami thread for 2024 everyone!

Toonami was America's premiere action block from '97 until '08. They showed a whole bunch of anime and are most notable for bringing Dragon Ball Z to the US (for better or for worse). Adult Swim brought it back as their April Fool's Day prank in 2012 and after nostalgia-fueled fan outcry, it's back. And as of this year it's lasted longer than the original Toonami! ...like there's a big asterisk there kinda since original Toonami was on every weekday instead of the revival's once-a-week schedule but whatever who cares...

Currently airing:

12:00 - 12:30 - Ninja Kamui

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpP-XvigVzs

As this is brand new, it's hard to make a summary for it so I'll just post the press blurb:

quote:

Ninja Kamui follows Joe Higan who is a Nukenin - a former ninja who escaped his clan and is hiding from his violent past in rural America with his family. One night, he is ambushed by a team of assassins from his former organization who exact a bloody retribution on Joe and his family for betraying their ancient code. Rising from his seeming "death" Joe will re-emerge as his former self - Ninja Kamui - to avenge his family and friends. Kamui is a 21st century ninja, a shadowy anachronism who pits his ancient skills against high-tech weaponry with brutal finesse. He must face off against trained assassins, combat cyborgs, and rival ninjas to bring down the very clan that made him.

Also, it's directed by Sunghoo Park (Jujutsu Kaisen, The God of High School) if that's a name that gets you fired up!

12:30-1:00 - Demon Slayer Season 2: Entertainment District Arc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yuWoIB_3Yg

It's what it says on the tin, folks. Demon Slayer is a show about Tanjiro Kamado and his sister Nezuko are the sole survivors of demon attack that killed the rest of her family. Nezuko becomes a demon, but still surprisingly shows signs of human emotion and thought. Tanjiro becomes a demon slayer to attempt to find a way to turn Nezuko human again and to well, you know, slay demons, in order to prevent the kind of attack that killed his family. To catch up so far this season: Tanjiro & co. helped find and destroy the demon on board/that was the Mugen Train, and then cried their eyes out as they watched the Flame Hashira Rengoku bite it in battle with the bonus boss that came out of nowhere. Hey, what do you know, we're finally reaching new material after rehashing the movie in the last arc!

1:00-1:30 - Lycoris Recoil

Lycoris Recoil is a buddy cop movie where the buddies are both super-secret agents and also anime schoolgirls and also pretty gay. Takina is a no-nonsense mission-first kinda gal who just got her gun and her badge taken demoted after she went rogue on an op to save a squadmate's life. Chisato is a manic pixie dream girl who's so goddamn good she can dodge bullets at point blank range buuuut also she refuses to kill and mayyy be a little responsible for a huge accident where a whole radio tower almost got demolished, so she's not on the best of terms with the bosses either. They're both now living under one roof... where they also work at a cafe as cover. Antics and action ensue. Here is a preview.

1:30-2:00 - One Piece

Oh hey, One Piece is back. One Piece is about a bunch of pirates searching for... wait a minute, I know a much faster way to explain the plot of One Piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI

Anyway as of this edit (2/16/24), we're on the Dressrosa arc. You want to catch up, go to Crunchyroll or somewhere or read Wikipedia. One Piece will never end. I know this because it still hasn't ended, even in Japan. The manga hasn't ended. It is safe to say that there is a whole generation out there that grew up on One Piece, gave up, and then their kids have picked up One Piece. It's mind blowing. poo poo say what you want about My Hero Academia aping Western superheroes, One Piece is the actual closest thing to Western comics in Japan because it's never gonna end, like Batman. Frankly if Oda dies today I will not be shocked if his skeleton rises up like Brooke to keep drawing.

2:00-2:30 - Naruto Shippuden

Naruto is a ninja kid from the Hidden Leaf Village who wants to be the very best, like no one ever was. Hey, at this point did you know that technically Toonami's airing premiere episodes now? (of the dub at least) Yeah, it never got far enough here or when it was airing on other networks to go this far. Anyway. it will never end and

wait a second *checks notes* holy mother of God, :siren: NARUTO IS OVER THIS YEAR! :siren: It'll be winding down in approximately June-July, depending on holidays/marathons/other scheduling stuff. I'd say "I wonder what they'll replace it with?" but we all know it's gonna loop forever. Then again I said that about Dragon Ball Z/Super so what do I know?

2:30-3:00 - IGPX (remastered)

Hey did you know Toonami made an anime all the way back in 2005? You didn't? ...I ain't gonna lie I never watched this back in the day so I'm just gonna copy the Wikipedia summary:

quote:

The series is set in 2049 and revolves around the Immortal Grand Prix, or IGPX, which is a mecha racing/battle circuit. The sport is so popular that an entire city has been built for the racing industry, where competitions take place on a huge 60-mile track. In the IGPX, two teams of three mechs, high-tech fighting machines driven by humans, race at speeds greater than 350 mph. The IGPX also contains fighting elements; attacking the opposing team to disable their mechs (thus preventing them from winning the race) is not only legal, but also expected. Team Satomi, a crew of amateur pilots, has just won a minor-league championship, the IG-2, vaulting them into the sport's highest level, the IG-1. Now, the untested rookies of Team Satomi must overcome impossible odds and beat the world's most skilled and ruthless pilots.
If any of that sounds like your cup of tea, hey maybe give it a shot! Apparently it's been remastered too, so it doesn't look like, well, a show from 2005.

AND HEADING UP THE REAR...

3:00-3:30 - Ninja Kamui (subbed)

Hey wait a sec didn't we just do-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjs6MkX9ASU

そう、アメリカのテレビでは日本語でアニメが見られるんです! 私たちはワイルドな時代に生きています。また、これを読んでくれてありがとう。私はこのギミックの投稿をとても誇りに思っています。 プレス宣伝文をもう一度ここに示します。

quote:

忍者カムイは、一族から逃れ、家族とともにアメリカの田舎で暴力的な過去から身を隠している元忍者、ヌケニンであるジョー・ヒガンを追っています。 ある夜、彼はかつて所属していた組織の暗殺者チームに待ち伏せされ、古代の掟を裏切ったジョーとその家族に血なまぐさい報復を課す。 「死」に見えた状態から立ち直ったジョーは、家族や友人の仇を討つために、かつての自分、忍者カムイとして再び現れる。 カムイは 21 世紀の忍者であり、古代の技術と残忍な技巧を備えたハイテク武器を戦わせる、影のある時代錯誤です。 彼は、彼を生み出した一族を倒すために、訓練された暗殺者、戦闘サイボーグ、ライバルの忍者と対峙しなければなりません。

So what can we expect this year?

Lazarus

It's a whole new Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Space Dandy, Samurai Champloo) joint baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0QUbIzu8ek

The plot synopsis is as follows:

quote:

The year is 2052 - an era of unprecedented peace and prosperity prevails across the globe. The reason for this: mankind has been freed from sickness and pain. Nobel Prize winning neuroscientist Dr. Skinner has developed a miracle cure-all drug with no apparent drawbacks called Hapuna. Hapuna soon becomes ubiquitous… and essential. However, soon after Hapuna is officially introduced, Dr. Skinner vanishes.

Three years later, the world has moved on. But Dr. Skinner has returned - this time, as a harbinger of doom. Skinner announces that Hapuna has a short half-life. Everyone who has taken it will die approximately three years later. Death is coming for this sinful world - and coming soon.

As a response to this threat, a special task force of 5 agents is gathered from across the world to save humanity from Skinner's plan. This group is called "Lazarus." Can they find Skinner and develop a vaccine before time runs out?

Apparently this also has Chad Stahelski, director of all the John Wicks, working on action sequences. Neat! There's no release date but they gave a vague 2024 release window. And nobody would ever not stick to a predicted release window, right?

Oh... oh no, I feel a disturbance in the force.
Oh. It's you...

Uzumaki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDEQyK5ZH-E

Uzumaki, by horror master Junji Ito, based on the legendary manga of the same name! gently caress it I've given up trying to guess when this will air, it was supposed to be 2020 and then it was pushed back (understandably), then they swore it'll be in 2021, and then again said it would be out in 2022. The last time there was any announcement about it was in June 2022 when they said vaguely that it would take more time... well at least they didn't actually promise a date to keep the tease up? Anyway supposedly it'll air here before Japan, if it ever loving COMES OUT. There's not much in the way of previews you can watch, but you can watch an interview with the director here

oh, and one last thing:

motherfucking Rick & Morty The Anime...

I mean they haven't said it's gonna be on Toonami instead of on Sundays or whenever, but come on, we know it'll be coming here... Anyway, it's Rick & Morty, don't pretend you don't know the show. In their attempt to get every last possible view out of what's probably the most famous pop culture figures that Adult Swim has produced... possibly ever(?), they've contracted an anime for some reason. It's being written and directed by Takashi Sano, who also did the previous little R&M anime segments that AS has aired before. If you liked those, you may like this. Notably they're not try and get the main cast (or sound-alikes) to dub it, it's going to air here in Japanese, so wow, two subbed shows in one year. Here is a preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR2uw738OvU

Anything else?

Toonami really doesn't announce too much ahead of time. What they do do however, is basically never leave a show unfinished, so if there's a show that's aired here, and there's a new season in Japan, you can almost always bet that it will air here eventually. So while they may not air here this year, the current list of former Toonami shows with sequels/more seasons includes but is not limited to:

• SSSS.Gridman - got a sequel called SSSS.Dynazenon.
  • Mob Psycho 100 - Apparently Crunchyroll are assholes and blocked that one from coming here, so I'd call it over... but that's what they said about Demon Slayer so hey, never say never.
  • Dr. Stone had a 4th season announced, but it's not even produced, much less dubbed, so... well, get ready to wait.
  • Megalobox - Still not dead yet
  • Pop Team Epic - I feel like this is never coming back but I would never have thought season 1 would come to Toonami in the first place
  • Bleach - Bleach is currently having a Brotherhood/Final Chapter comeback to wrap up the parts of the manga that the original anime didn't get to. As it was on Toonami (and Adult Swim before the revival) for years, I'm sure this is one they're really gonna fight hard to get if they can.
  • everything else - I mean, since Shippuden's finally ending maybe Boruto might come back at some point, who knows? Who can say.

something you should not bet on returning is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure because Netflix has that all locked up.

ALSO

Every Saturday night while the more boring shonen shows are on TV, Arist (and others) are building you a better cartoon(/sentai/tokusatsu/whatever) show. They call it Goonami. They just post on Fri/Sat night when they're gonna stream poo poo on Cytube and you can watch. It involves a few browser plugins but it's real easy to do and you should check it out! More info:

MEANWHILE EVERY OTHER DAY OF THE WEEK...

Adult Swim is a block on Cartoon Network that's been running since 2001. It's their late-night offering for grown-ups such as ourselves. This high class stuff includes a show where a guy hosts a parody talk show and pukes on himself and a bunch of Fox reruns. Like I mentioned up top, there is a TVIV catch-all thread for non-kid animation if you want to talk about it there, and there's probably TVIV threads for a bunch of their other live-action stuff, though I'm not gonna check each and every show. If you want to talk about it here though, that's okay, just don't get annoyed when it gets buried under pages upon pages of anime chat.

What's on right now?

The Fox shows like Bob's Burgers and American Dad of course. They got back King of the Hill and Futurama so that's neat. Also since AS knows where their bread and butter is, Rick & Morty is on basically every night. And AS always has some new cheap show that looks like it cost about a grand to make hoping it'll be the next Aqua Teen and every now and then they're good.

Okay, yeah, but what else?

Adult Swim has eschewed any semblance of scheduling like any other TV network and also any semblance of actually canceling TV shows (like, if you look at the list of shows they've aired on Wikipedia, there's a ton that haven't aired in years that still aren't "officially" canceled). What I'm saying is that if you've seen a show on Adult Swim ever, there's a nonzero chance that it could come up with a new season at any given point in time. Or hell, maybe it won't come back here, it'll be on HBO Max or something. Or hell, given how David Zaslav is gutting Max, maybe it'll be shoved into a memory hole and you'll have to torrent everything like it's the 90s again!

Anyway get ready for 2024!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lycoreco is coming to save us

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TwoPair posted:

Every Saturday night while the more boring shonen shows are on TV, Arist (and others) are building you a better cartoon(/sentai/tokusatsu/whatever) show. They call it Goonami. They just post on Fri/Sat night when they're gonna stream poo poo on Cytube and you can watch. It involves a few browser plugins but it's real easy to do and you should check it out! More info:

Anyway, here's the current lineup for Goonami:

PREMIERING THIS WEEK
Trigun Stampede

You know Vash the Stampede, right? Sixty Million Double Dollar man! Well, get ready to see him in a whole new light in a modern reimagining of the story produced by Studio Orange, the finest CG studio Japan has. And don't worry, Johnny is still here.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch From Mercury

Crunchyroll hosed Toonami outta this one so here I go! The latest original installment in the legendary Mobile Suit Gundam series is here! We're only a couple episodes in, and our protagonist is already engaged!

One Piece (Live Action)

Look, it's actually pretty good!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

on that note i'm also showing summer time rendering in the prepreshow, we've got four eps left as of right now and then idk what will replace it, maybe undead unluck, which is a series i am very normal about, because it's extremely good, except for all the parts right at the beginning that loving suck rear end

e: in the past I showed Lycoris Recoil (lol) and Oshi no Ko, and honestly OnK wouldn't be, like, the worst fit for the block? It's not an action show but it's got the right vibe imo. Biggest hurdle is that the dub can be kinda weird

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bleach back on Toonami is probably never going to happen since Viz made a deal with Disney for US and international distribution.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ground floor lets make it a good new year boys :toot:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

is mentioning the existence of Toonami Aftermath bad form here? I'll edit it out if it is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also I forgot that more Titan was this week, I do not know what I will show, will look into it

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

is mentioning the existence of Toonami Aftermath bad form here? I'll edit it out if it is.

eh, we already openly talk about streaming poo poo as a pre-show/middle-of show, I don't know why not

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
it's now 11:30 PM on January 4th, which by my math means it's been an iron-clad 10 years to the minute since we all sat down to watch the world premiere of Space Dandy

where have the years and the good feelings all gone

Argus Zant fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 5, 2024

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
To put that in perspective, Toonami started showing Naruto: Shippuden one hour later.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TwoPair posted:

eh, we already openly talk about streaming poo poo as a pre-show/middle-of show, I don't know why not

Good to know!

https://www.toonamiaftermath.com/schedule

Toonami Aftermath was a project started around January 2010, christ 14 years. It not only does a customized block of OG Toonami shows but functions as a full fledged 24/7 channel with sub channels in it. I never pay attention to the chat that is embedded and can be disabled in the settings tab.

For those not familiar it also does cartoons from, old rear end KidsWB, Fox, classic Cartoon Network Cartoon Cartoons in blocs. It will also throw in anime that didn't show up on old Toonami broadcasts, or on current ones from time to time. Examples being Ranma 1/2, Fighting Spirit, Berserk.

Noteable things for weekends tends to be every Saturday night playing Daft Punk's - Interstella 555 followed by non animated content. It's free, you can donate if you want. It always felt like a nice thing to come back to over the years when actual Toonami wasn't around, along with that nostalgia bug.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Oh my god, I just realized! They don’t have to censor that one episode of Pop Team Epic anymore! The one with the Steamboat Willie sketch! poo poo’s public domain now!

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

quote:

Lazarus

It's a whole new Shinichiro Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop, Space Dandy, Samurai Champloo) joint baby!

will our heroes be perpetually broke and spend a good deal of time hungry and/or thinking about food

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://cytu.be/r/goonami

hello, both me and waffle are probably gonna duck out for ~5 minutes at least at about 8 for final fantasy fourteen reasons, be good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://cytu.be/r/goonami

Something something whatever I'm going to be Fanfest in a couple hours anyway

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

PREVIOUSLY, ON TOONAMI

Attack on Titan - Erin dehumanized himself and faced to bloodshed, by which I mean he fully committed to committing global genocide with the Titan Horde. Most of the remaining cast members headed out on a mission to try to stop him; except for Annie, Falco, and Gabby, who got back on a boat and hosed off from the story (despite 2/3 of their group being ubertitans); and Hanje, who died covering our escape from the Horde. It's all sort of coming down to a big final confrontation at a Marlian air base and chances are good that a fair chunk of the cast is gonna die.

ATTACK ON TITAN ENDS TONIGHT FOR FOREVER FOR THE LAST TIME (WE loving MEAN IT THIS TIME) TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The latest arc in One Piece will be simulcast on Netflix so goodbye One Piece eventually

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

The latest arc in One Piece will be simulcast on Netflix so goodbye One Piece eventually

In a only barely relatable note: I watched the live action One Piece last night while way too baked and that's a fun show

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw a commercial for an Ice Spice Chia Pet and thought it was a joke/parody but apparently it was real.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Argus Zant posted:

PREVIOUSLY, ON TOONAMI

ATTACK ON TITAN ENDS TONIGHT FOR FOREVER FOR THE LAST TIME (WE FU
CKING MEAN IT THIS TIME) TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT

https://www.cbr.com/new-aot-manga-c...%20that%20fact.

:v:

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
One more round of titan slaying

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

This is a cool action scene and all but i feel like i'm getting hit with a whiplash of needing to have watched this back to back with the last final season for real for real .

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Regardless of how you feel about the story you have to admit that this show has some sick rear end action.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

the journey that began in May of 2014 ends tonight

stand by for titanfall, one last time

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That sure was a shot

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
oh dear

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
drat, I did not seeing Onyankopon as having a chance at surviving

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

isn't this how Evangelion ended

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Time to deal with shadow bone clones!

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
yeah these things are unpleasant to look at

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
lmao murder mode mikasa

and this is some bullshit

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

oh, we're just straight-up going Full JRPG Final Boss with this, aren't we

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wow a boss rush on top of a boss, impressive

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
welp

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
the founding titan sure is bullshit

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

JT Jag posted:

the founding titan sure is bullshit

Reiner wasn't kidding when he said Eren was the worst possible person to have it.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
"we can't just stand here, shoot somehing at it"

"but why"

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

It's totally Ymir doing all of this and not Eren yep yep. Totally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I love that the only way Levi's moving now is because basically he's operating on sheer anger.