Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Mozi posted:

you're the man now, dawes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
Thats a loving fantastic signature

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lmao never back down

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Upgrade posted:

Most successful goon project yet

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Upgrade posted:

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Cackling at this post, the sig and the fact that until 2 days ago Caro was also sleeping in his car

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

https://www.millerchevalier.com/publication/miller-chevalier-wins-50-million-judgment-against-syria-behalf-imprisoned-american

He just got $50m (well, $30m after attorneys fees most likely) of Syrian sanction money for his stint in a death camp.

I always thought Caro was a great guy.

You reading this Caro? I can be a very good friend, always grateful iykwim. :D

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So is this real money or internet money?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

MrQwerty posted:

idk if I'd call caro a success story

I mean, it’s no groverhaus

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Upgrade posted:

Swap.avi begs to differ

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
30 mil for being severely schizophrenic and professionally tortured for months

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I remember following this story years ago on SA and it's crazy all the way down. The videos of him in Libya were pretty nuts.

I mean I don't want anyone to come to harm, but you would think when you sign up for war tourism as some sort of volunteer freelance mercenary, getting sent to a prison camp is a likely outcome, getting tens of millions of dollars for it is not.

I know it's too early to know, but what are the chances he actually gets the money as opposed to Syria or whoever the lawsuit is against going "hah okay, sure, you made a ruling in a court somewhere we don't recognize, the check is "in the mail" lol" and it just never happens?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

they’ll tell him they have his money, but he has to come pick it up in Syria

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Mozi posted:

you're the man now, dawes

I imagine ytmnd.com is way more dead than SA these days, but that deserves an entry lol

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

EorayMel posted:

Caro multiclassed as a medic and a sniper and probably killed at least one other human being before winding up in prison
There was a video (that seems to be taken down) where is shooting at people in a water tower and says "i got him" or something like that. Been years since I have seen it.

Twenty Four posted:

I know it's too early to know, but what are the chances he actually gets the money as opposed to Syria or whoever the lawsuit is against going "hah okay, sure, you made a ruling in a court somewhere we don't recognize, the check is "in the mail" lol" and it just never happens?
https://www.millerchevalier.com/publication/miller-chevalier-wins-50-million-judgment-against-syria-behalf-imprisoned-american

quote:

Dawes is eligible for payment of the judgment from the United States Victims of State Sponsored Terrorism Fund (USVSST Fund), which was established by and is funded with sanctions proceeds.
Sanctioned Syrian money will be awarded to him.

The funniest thing out of all of this was he went to Libya then returned to the US then traveled to Turkey then Syria. Good work TSA.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Budzilla posted:

There was a video (that seems to be taken down) where is shooting at people in a water tower and says "i got him" or something like that. Been years since I have seen it.

Sanctioned Syrian money will be awarded to him.

The funniest thing out of all of this was he went to Libya then returned to the US then traveled to Turkey then Syria. Good work TSA.

Western governments didn’t care if you were going TO Syria or Libya. The Ariana Grande bombing guy and Shamima Begum are two examples.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62726954

Funny enough by going to Libya he ended up on those super secret government watch lists he thought he was on due to his schizophrenia

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I was never following the Caro syrup drip but I was sad when the forums had good reason to believe him dead and absolutely flabbergasted when he was brought back.
Now I'm just elated that some measure of justice is happening and I wish him the wisdom to not ruin himself again.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
hope he gets the help he needs, but God drat, life is loving strange sometimes

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Upgrade posted:

caro finance zybourne clock

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

all this dave chapelle talk lately has radicalized me

name-thread-forum combo

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Would've been way funnier if PissPigGrandad had gotten 30m.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ded posted:

he was unbanned when word came out that kerry brought him home

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=42033

swiftboat gangtag when

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Upgrade posted:

Caro make a Doobies Dogtruck

tour it around america

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

lmao

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
I hope Brown Moses is weeping over this news.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I honestly hope he is doing well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
And they say (war)crime doesn't pay

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
for real im glad he's alive but holy poo poo this story is wild and always has been

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thanks for fixing the title (if it was you).

E: it was not but thanks for your work regardless.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 4, 2024

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I can change the title if you want. More people might open it if they know it's about Caro.

Who is, astoundingly, not only still alive, but now rich. :stare:

Edit: On second thought, I'm just going to go ahead and change it.

Whoops you did! Thanks!!

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 4, 2024

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Holy loving poo poo.

I hope he actually gets a cut of that $50m after lawyers and hands out so he can get proper medical treatment and not just flit off to the next warzone to be a journalist medic lawyer hostage.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Why more millennials are becoming journalist medic lawyer hostages, story at 6.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

kntfkr posted:

Can’t be worse than working retail

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

kntfkr posted:

how millenials are finally affording a house

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
What if it's just a store credit and he has to buy TOW missiles and MREs with the funds

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Randy Travesty posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

I hope he actually gets a cut of that $50m after lawyers and hands out so he can get proper medical treatment and not just flit off to the next warzone to be a journalist medic lawyer hostage.

He’ll definitely get his money because his lawyers want theirs and cannot get their cut until he is paid. He’ll get roughly 60-67% or so depending on the contingency agreement. They’ll also deduct costs but those will be at most $10-20k depending on expert fees and medical evaluations.

I haven’t looked at the terms of the judgment, but whatever portion is compensatory damages will likely be tax free as well, but he’ll have to pay income tax on any punitive damages.

What he does with his money is entirely up to him, though. I hope his lawyers set him up with a good financial planner and he continues to take care of himself.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

20 Blunts posted:

What if it's just a store credit and he has to buy TOW missiles and MREs with the funds

knowing the govt they'll probably buy it back from him for dollars on the penny

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Alan Smithee posted:

knowing the govt they'll probably buy it back from him for dollars on the penny

lol

Less Is Definitely
Jan 10, 2012
Hello from the goldmine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Honestly? Good for him.

Take care of yourself dipshit, you're lucky to be alive. Don't go chasing another windfall you crazy, batshit, lucky lucky LUCKY goon.