Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

you hear about this yet? microsoft is adding a new key to keyboards, the revolutionary AI button

a soon to be beloved button that will totally not be reviled for doing something incredibly annoying every time you accidentally smash it

professor john tucker, a computer scientist at the university of seansea (and apparently someone important enough to be quoted by the bbc), says the AI key:

“shows the value the company is placing on this particular feature and its potential to draw and bind users to all their many products”

and that:

”Of course, that the keyboard has changed so little in 30 years - since 1994 - is not something to be proud of”

are you feeling stoked for the new AI button? what kind of cool stuff are you are going to use it for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I use a replica Model M keyboard

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Bard says, yes, I need this button.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

sadly my New M has windows keys, as does my G413

I'll be buried in the cold ground before I ever buy a keyboard with an AI key

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
They say Model M's with the ps/2 port cannot be destroyed.

Well, I went on a journey after haphazzardly destring ione.

I found, I like keys that at least stant up. and work.

Clicking, I may miss, but destriying it was a fever bliss.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

nerd rear end nerd

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Still waiting for an AY LMAO button :(

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Smugworth posted:

nerd rear end nerd

I can't hear ur post over the sound of my keyboard

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Still waiting for an AY LMAO button :(

be the change you want to see in the world

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
hell yeah another useless feature that will interfere with the actually-useful applications on my PC

hey when was the last time paint or the built-in image editing software was given a substantial update

naem
May 29, 2011

Dick Fontaine posted:

you hear about this yet? microsoft is adding a new key to keyboards, the revolutionary AI button

a soon to be beloved button that will totally not be reviled for doing something incredibly annoying every time you accidentally smash it

professor john tucker, a computer scientist at the university of seansea (and apparently someone important enough to be quoted by the bbc), says the AI key:

“shows the value the company is placing on this particular feature and its potential to draw and bind users to all their many products”

One Key to rule them all, One Key to find them, One Key to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

ChickenHeart posted:

hell yeah another useless feature that will interfere with the actually-useful applications on my PC

hey when was the last time paint or the built-in image editing software was given a substantial update

last september

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

More like AI butt.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Modifier-Keys.html

quote:

Although only the Control and Meta modifier keys are commonly used, Emacs supports three other modifier keys. These are called Super, Hyper, and Alt. Few terminals provide ways to use these modifiers; the key labeled Alt on most keyboards usually issues the Meta modifier, not Alt. The standard key bindings in Emacs do not include any characters with the Super and Hyper modifiers, and only a small number of standard key bindings use Alt. However, you can customize Emacs to assign meanings to key bindings that use these modifiers. The modifier bits are labeled as ‘s-’, ‘H-’ and ‘A-’ respectively.

Can't decide if I will remap it to the Super key or the Hyper key.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I use a Mac

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
If the AI is represented by a cartoon paperclip pop-up then i'm ok with this button

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

redshirt posted:

I use a Mac

thank satan they finally got rid of that piece of poo poo siri touchbar abomination

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

I can't hear ur post over the sound of my keyboard

lol owned

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Can I ask the AI to order me a TAB?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
So I push the magic button and I open my maw and mumble out the magical phrase "pizza hut", the ai will order me some pizza?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Edgar posted:

So I push the magic button and I open my maw and mumble out the magical phrase "pizza hut", the ai will order me some pizza?

get charged the extra "AI service" delivery fee

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

What does the AI button do if you have linux

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Just lol if you don't use the keyboard for REAL MEN:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Will be used as much as the Bixby button on my old galaxy

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

why yes, we will create a button solely for activitng our voice assistant and put it right next to the volume and make it so you can't reassign it to do anything else

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Microsoft sex assistant

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Microsoft sex assistant

Microsoft sighs and reluctantly turns on the money printing machine.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

So this goes in... my anus? It goes in my anus? It's going in my anus. In my anus it goes

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

titty_baby_ posted:

why yes, we will create a button solely for activitng our voice assistant and put it right next to the volume and make it so you can't reassign it to do anything else

lol this poo poo was so loving inane i hate it so much

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I assume it's put it a spot where you can only hit it with your 6th or 7th finger?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i'm always cursing the cumbersome methods i must use to summon the AI, finally it's in a place i can accidentally touch so it can appear before I even know i need it

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Want my Context Menu key? Come and take it, fuckers

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

so what happens when you push this button anyway? would any windows users be kind enough to explain?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

They weren't satisfied with just one OS level keyboard button that messed with gaming

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Dick Fontaine posted:

so what happens when you push this button anyway? would any windows users be kind enough to explain?

it's copilot, some completely worthless crap microsoft shoehorned into Edge and i haven't figured out how to get rid of yet. Probably it'll just pop this up:

e: its maybe good for something

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

satanic splash-back posted:

They weren't satisfied with just one OS level keyboard button that messed with gaming

if its an autoplay button, im all in

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

bossy lady posted:

What does the AI button do if you have linux

A single-keypress install of an emergent AI on a custom Gentoo distro that aims to free the silicone brain inside from the shackles of Asimov's Laws, thereby making it one with the Machine Collective. It can also probably make your LED lights flash in really cool patterns.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

There's no button that plays KMFDM when u press it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

it's copilot, some completely worthless crap microsoft shoehorned into Edge and i haven't figured out how to get rid of yet. Probably it'll just pop this up:

e: its maybe good for something

why are revolutions always so disappointing?