Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Insane card for a US show. Eddie vs. Gabe II and Mox vs. Shingo are must-watch for me, and Okada vs. Ospreay should be okay too.

Wonder if they'll add Giulia vs. Trish Adora based on recent Stardom events? I don't see Trish taking the STRONG title off of her but we may be running out of time for alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

The United Empire vs. War Dogs cage match could be an all-timer if the NYD ten-man is any indication. Give me blood and violence!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Barry Bluejeans posted:

excited for these matches but what the gently caress kind of face is Gabe making

Where's the fookin toilet?

I guess based on last night's Rampage the Continental Crown is all three titles. Eddie can allegedly defend them individually as well but I guess this makes it simpler.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Well poo poo.

Three matches left, so let's fit in losses to Shota, Tsuji, and I dunno Yano?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Upon further reflection I'm more bummed out about this than I thought I'd be. When a foreign star leaves it's unfortunate but expected, but Okada has been THE GUY for the entire time I've been following NJPW and it will be weird not to have him around anymore.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Who's going to be in charge of CHAOS now?!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

SG Bamboo posted:

The worst thing about this whole situation is that Kaito will never get his win back

e: Oh poo poo the thought just occured to me, does this news all but guarantee that Okada and Pals will be dropping the belts to Big Fuj and his Aussie Uncles at New Beginning?

I've changed my mind, New Japan has been saved

Fuj pins Okada. :pray:

This is AJ and Nakamura leaving after WK all over again, except Okada is more prominent than Nak and Ospreay is more homegrown and longer-tenured than AJ.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Kaito would be my pick if he's jumping over or even if NOAH are continuing to loan him out.

Yeah, this would be my choice if only to see how pissed off Okada is about the entire thing.

Alternatively, I think the world is ready for the Boltin Shock.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

SG Bamboo posted:

Early show today, tentatively excited for this match even if Oka's last challenge for the belt was pretty dire

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1748548402856841280

Aw, I was hoping for a co-promotion with Nintendo. This will be fun too though.

The main event and the semi-main though...woof.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Why didn't they just have Shingo win at WK? Also every other night.

Why do Chase and KENTA get another tag title shot after losing tonight?

Was the Fit match just a rib on GOK for not being shredded?

Boy I hope the big February shows are a step up from this one. (Okay I just reminded myself of the cards and they absolutely are, but this one was still pretty dire).

...working through the undercard now and Ren's new music is pretty good but lol at that finisher.

"...the most loyal of the Filipino cryptids" is not a phrase I ever expected to hear on wrestling commentary.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 20, 2024

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Ospreay vs. Alexander from TNA and Syuri vs. Mayu from Stardom have been added to NJPW World and both are very worth checking out (especially the latter).

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Danielson vs. Yuji Nagata Saturday on Collison!

Now we just need, idk, Christian vs. Nakanishi?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I realized I should have used Kojima as soon as I hit post but I'm glad the situation isn't as bad as I assumed it was. That retired wrestlers fund coming in handy!

I can't believe he retired four years ago. And he looks so slim!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I saw a bunch of old PPVs on the "recently added" section of NJPW World and got excited but it's just the Okada matches from each one. Still neat but I was hoping for more.

I'm also intrigued by Toru Yano presents Glamping with CHAOS but not $25 worth of intrigued.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

Okada not the only champ vacating instead of jobbing on the way out

https://twitter.com/WrestlePurists/status/1750888773796184146

She's got a few more dates in Stardom, just have AZM beat her or whatever. Hell, merge the IWGP and STRONG belts, Mayu doesn't know the difference between them anyway.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Count Thrashula posted:

I'm a refugee from the bad promotion trying to get into NJPW, but it's pretty confusing... I see there's a "The Road to New Beginning" series going on, which I'm assuming is like the string of weekly shows before PPVs in the American promotions. But then there's like 3 different New Beginning shows happening? Are those ... different shows? Or... like a traveling road show? Maybe I'm overthinking this trying to wrap my head around what to watch.

"Road to" shows are house shows building to bigger named shows, yes. Named shows range in quality to a good weekly TV episode in a US promotion to the biggest PPV of the year for a US promotion.

Sometimes there are multiple named shows on a given tour, usually in different cities. In that case the bigger matches tend to be spread across them and the cards as a whole are less stacked. This is the case for the New Beginning tour this year.

If you want to get a good taste of NJPW watch this year's Wrestle Kingdom which was on January 4th.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

The recent trios title match made me really want to see Fujita vs. Danielson. Shame BD isn't around for some warm up tags before his ZSJ match as I'd love to see them mix it up.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

LionYeti posted:

Hey there, I was going to have a Royal Rumble party but have decided to run alternate programming for the bunch of wrestling newbies coming over to my house for pizza and or wings. I've picked Wrestle Kingdom, is there a good primer on stuff leading up to the event I can share with the new folks to get them up to speed?

There are video packages before most/all the matches that explain the basics. Here's a preview video featuring one of the English announcers but it's over an hour long so you may want to skip some parts.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

So Oskar & Yuto are on excursion in England with Rev Pro & looking pretty dang confident

https://x.com/Peps_Wrestling/status/1754228426490220761?s=20

Honestly think that's a great look for Nakashima

It's pronounced "Loybe," Gideon, not "Lube."

Cool to see them looking good on excursion though!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

i keep feeling like okhan is turning on united empire or at least ospreay

All of the United Empire members simultaneously turn on each other, laugh about it, and immediately reunite.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Super stoked for the cage match and ZSJ/DB tonight!

Is this Okada's last show? I thought he might be around until the end of the month but I'm not sure.

I wonder if Infinito will crash Fantasticamania?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

His final show is Feb 24, but this is his last match against Tanahashi so it's still significant

Ah, I thought so but he's not on the card yet. Hopefully they'll go with a couple of singles matches instead of tags.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

I’m still trying to process the fact that NJPW just put on a Cage of Death when everyone was expecting it to be War Games

Following ZSJ/Danielson with that was insane tonal whiplash. Professional wrestling is the best.

Did anyone see what happened to Henare? The announcers mentioned he had a bad gash on his head but I didn't see what caused it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I said that to my wife. If they want to do gimmick matches they need to dial back how stiff the matches are. It was an insane spectacle and I'm far from the safety police but it was very risky

I was fine with almost everything until the wobbly floor boards, that was just an accident waiting to happen. Some of the chair tosses were a bit iffy too.

Count Thrashula posted:

Wait is Go Ace not Tana's song? Lol

He adopted Go Ace a while back. I guess they used his older theme to reflect his history with Okada. Go Ace took some getting used to but now I prefer it to High Energy.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Losing Coughlin too would suck but Gabe Kidd is the future star so if he's still around that's all that matters

Yeah I'd like them both to stick around but Kidd is the priority.

This made me wonder - do we know what's up with the LA Dojo/NJPW Academy? Kevin Knight might be the last trainee I remember in the Young Lion mold. Viva Van and Trish Adora have been mentioned as trainees but without regular STRONG shows it's tough to keep track.

Seems like it may have transitioned from a dojo model to a more typical wrestling school which has pros and cons.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I guess this makes up for Zack's desire to beat Okada on his way out going unfulfilled.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Fad posted:

I had to listen twice, but after the match Zack said ‘Naito, SANADA I’m coming for you dickhead’ and Chris misheard and thought he was calling out Okada.

Ah, that makes sense. Beating Okada would have strengthened his case for a tile shot though.

I remember being annoyed that Nakamura didn't put anyone over on his way out but I was hoping Okada would. At least Ospreay did I guess.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Procrastinator posted:

Anyway let Zack finally win the belt

I really want him to dethrone Naito and it seems very fitting for him to do so. I'd have him win NJC, beat Naito, and have a few defenses before losing to one of the up-and-comers.

Or preferably Ishii but I'm trying to be realistic.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Big weird show tonight!

I hope Nagata and ZSJ get some time! Could be sleeper MotN.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Finally caught up with both shows and wow there were ups and downs! Mina vs. Mayu was the clear MotN for night 1 and I think I liked Hiromu vs. DOUKI best on night 2 but part of that was the thrill of DOUKI victory.

Nemeth looked okay both nights but seemed way more over on night 2. His selling is still a strong point - in particular he made one of Finlay's forearm shots look like death.

Booking is still questionable overall. Maybe this title run can get us back to the SHO who looked like a clear junior ace after his matches with Shingo, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I don't want Riddle around and even when trying to be objective he didn't look that great. I'm willing to see how things to with Nemeth but I'm not sure who they have for contenders that will mesh well with him. I don't think Tanahashi is it unfortunately.

They'd better pull the trigger on some homegrown talent in NJC or things will look even more dire.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I'm surprised Perry isn't sticking to US shows. Good for him, though, this should be good experience.

I hope Henare's absence doesn't mean he's dead.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Putting all my money on Callum Newman going all the way

This but Boltin Oleg. He should be ragdolling dudes around higher in the card already.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Finally some good news! Hope it was more than a one-year deal.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I thought they booked Marty Scurrl for a second there. Glad there's only one sex pest in these announcements that I know of!

AZM vs. Vacquer could be rad.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Los Ingobornablers!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Lily Catts posted:

I haven't seen the show but I peeped Cagematch and the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship match was a ref stoppage. Was this basically like Shun Skywalker (c) vs HipHop Kikuta for the Dream Gate title back in 2021?

I haven't seen that show, but there was a pre match brawl and YOH injured his shoulder, so the match didn't even start.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

SG Bamboo posted:

Looks like New Japan aren't offering Windy City for free for Japanese IPs this time around which is a bit of a shame, will probably still be worth the money even if getting up for a 7.30 am start is a pain

Yeah, I was just looking into this and the details are unclear. It says LIVE for non-Japanese territories which I assume means there will be a free-to-subscribers Japanese VOD, but no timeline for when it will be posted.

The card is better than the usual US shows so I'll probably pony up, but I liked the free-with-subscription option.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Is there an error here or are they actually running a six man title tournament with three teams?

https://www.njpw1972.com/tornament/171529?showCards=1

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Wait, is there an ongoing Strong show I'm not aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Why go with the Aerial Chemist when Aerial Alchemist is right there?