Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Here are some Brood Brothers and Sisters, I dont actually play 40K so idk if this is enough for a unit lol

And here are some kitbashes that actually got painted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

War and Pieces posted:

Here are some Brood Brothers and Sisters, I dont actually play 40K so idk if this is enough for a unit lol

And here are some kitbashes that actually got painted

Those look great. The Ymgarl genestealer head on the Magos to make him look like a mindflayer is particularly inspired and I will definitely be stealing that for my own dudes.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

My first attempt was to put a pope hat on him so I'm very glad Plan B worked out

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I bought a ton of bitz in a fugue state to keep converting my Slaves to Darkness army to a mixed coalition Tzeentch/Nurgle/Slaanesh/Khorne faction, even though The Meta:tm: choice would be to make my second blob of Chaos Warriors Nurgle instead of Tzeentch.

Anyway the bitz arrived today and I bought like 3 Tzeentch bits, 10 more Nurgle bits, and like 50,000 Slaanesh bitz (those are for a different squad tho) so now I'm puzzling if I should make the Tzeentch squad anyway and just improvise, or go with the Meta Strat:tm: since I have the right amount of Nurgs.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So, I needed some minis for my PC's in the Humblewood 5e campaign I'm running for my group. I've found it pretty uninspiring to use fairly inaccurate cardboard standie figures as proxies for the PC's, and finally went to the LGS's and rummaged through the bins to find suitable minis. The hedgehog warlock and Luma(pidgeonfolk) sorcerer minis were pretty much a match from the Humblewood box set/setting box, but the rest of my party had nothing even close that matched at the local getting spots.

So, I'm happy to report that this thread inspired me to bite the bullet and give kitbashing a shot! :sun: Of course.. these are all single piece mini's out of the box, so I am basically diving into the deep end of Kitbash and figurine modding right out of the gate. I'm having to hack, snip, cut, and contort every fig., and copious amounts of baking soda assisted super glue is helping make it happen. Enough :words:, here's the WIP party.

The big guy still needs his elk antlers, the hedge needs her staff, I need to clean up all of the glue joints somehow, and I'm going to add some spell effects for the sorcerer and warlock once their paint job is done onto the empty pins. The bases are mostly where I want them to be, just need priming, paint, and flock/tufts.

Anybody have any tips, feedback, or areas I can improve before I get them all primed up and painted? No airbrush unfortunately.

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

I love kitbashing, but I mostly love taking the head of one kind of creature and putting it on another, then painting it bright colours, for Tzeentch:

I mostly paint Seraphon, and was intrigued by the lore about how the draconith hatched on the temple-ships, so converted a dragon as if it stayed aligned to the Seraphon all along

Really in awe of the skill everyone has showcased so far, looking forward to seeing more!

Becklespinax fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 20, 2024

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

This freak might actually see the table top in the unlikely chance that I roll up a Daemon Prince on Eye of the Gods three times in one game.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Mederlock posted:

So, I needed some minis for my PC's in the Humblewood 5e campaign I'm running for my group. I've found it pretty uninspiring to use fairly inaccurate cardboard standie figures as proxies for the PC's, and finally went to the LGS's and rummaged through the bins to find suitable minis. The hedgehog warlock and Luma(pidgeonfolk) sorcerer minis were pretty much a match from the Humblewood box set/setting box, but the rest of my party had nothing even close that matched at the local getting spots.

So, I'm happy to report that this thread inspired me to bite the bullet and give kitbashing a shot! :sun: Of course.. these are all single piece mini's out of the box, so I am basically diving into the deep end of Kitbash and figurine modding right out of the gate. I'm having to hack, snip, cut, and contort every fig., and copious amounts of baking soda assisted super glue is helping make it happen. Enough :words:, here's the WIP party.

The big guy still needs his elk antlers, the hedge needs her staff, I need to clean up all of the glue joints somehow, and I'm going to add some spell effects for the sorcerer and warlock once their paint job is done onto the empty pins. The bases are mostly where I want them to be, just need priming, paint, and flock/tufts.

Anybody have any tips, feedback, or areas I can improve before I get them all primed up and painted? No airbrush unfortunately.

I can't think of any specific tips, but these look awesome!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
oh poo poo yeah I can spam this thread up with stuff at some point

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

I built some marines for a space marine desolation squad by putting some horus heresy missile launchers on primaris bodies. I think I'm going to reorient the servoskull on the sergeant to be facing forward. Looking forward to finishing 5 more and getting em painted.

These look great! Good choice and a big improvement on the stock options.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I don't do a ton of kitbashing but I was pretty proud of this rescue of a misprinted mini last year. A chunk of the arc of magic from hand to hand was missing, plus I had to sculpt on the back of the hood (not pictured cause it's boring). The glass marble is from a Ramune bottle I got back in like 2014.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NinjaDebugger posted:

I don't do a ton of kitbashing but I was pretty proud of this rescue of a misprinted mini last year. A chunk of the arc of magic from hand to hand was missing, plus I had to sculpt on the back of the hood (not pictured cause it's boring). The glass marble is from a Ramune bottle I got back in like 2014.

If you told me that wasn't a misprint, I would believe you. Fantastic work!

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Becklespinax posted:

I love kitbashing, but I mostly love taking the head of one kind of creature and putting it on another, then painting it bright colours, for Tzeentch:

Your tzeentch stuff rules but this is particularly good, I love it. The colours and the basing are rad, I love the pearlescent crystals.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

SkyeAuroline posted:

Oh hey, been hoping for a thread like this for a while. My 30k stuff is on hiatus, but I do have a handful of WIPs and finished conversions done.

Painted ones first:

My Siege Breaker, and one of my first two HQs. Very much like this guy even if his loadout is bad for tabletop. Probably my best HQ right now.

Total scrub here but how do you get the shadows/saturation on the drapey red cloth? Do you hand-blend with a brush, or do you slap paint on and wipe it away with a cloth? The highlight is beautiful - I had to do a triple take to realize it was paint instead of light reflection. Do you use a photo reference? Fuzz your eyes out?

(A Games Workshop guy walked me through painting a Space Marine once and I've only touched a couple more minifigs since, but the small-scale technique is fascinating to me.)

Becklespinax posted:

The edging on the feathers is blowing my mind with how effortlessly glowy it looks. Crisp on the edges and fading into the teal. I like the call to not fade ALL the feathers, too. It seems like it would be too much / feel too busy without a visual break. What kind of paint did you use on the crystal? Just the regular stuff, super diluted?

NinjaDebugger posted:

HE IS ADORABLE AND I LOVE HIM :catstare: YOUR BLENDING WORK ON THE SMOKE FURLS IS MOST EXCELLENT ON SUCH A SMALL SCALE

databasic fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 23, 2024

B-person
Oct 29, 2010
I originally posted these in the painting thread but thought they might also be of interest in this thread.

Finding/making something unique and novel out of existing models and bits is definitely one of my favorite parts of the hobby.

And here are some new ones I just finished up, except for the bases.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

databasic posted:

Total scrub here but how do you get the shadows/saturation on the drapey red cloth? Do you hand-blend with a brush, or do you slap paint on and wipe it away with a cloth? The highlight is beautiful - I had to do a triple take to realize it was paint instead of light reflection. Do you use a photo reference? Fuzz your eyes out?

(A Games Workshop guy walked me through painting a Space Marine once and I've only touched a couple more minifigs since, but the small-scale technique is fascinating to me.)

That's just three colors of red layered in sequence (the Blood Angels scheme, I can't remember the names and my paints are boxed away) and Nuln Oil (the old blend, before they hosed it) in the recesses. It's benefiting from the lighting in the image, and I got lucky when doing it and didn't gently caress up. Cloth is one of the few things I can do fairly well. Not really good enough at it to explain how to do it properly, though.

e: Unless you mean the white at the very bottom which *is* reflection off the varnish.

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

databasic posted:

The edging on the feathers is blowing my mind with how effortlessly glowy it looks. Crisp on the edges and fading into the teal. I like the call to not fade ALL the feathers, too. It seems like it would be too much / feel too busy without a visual break. What kind of paint did you use on the crystal? Just the regular stuff, super diluted?

Thank you for the kind words on my tzeegle! The real secret with the crystals is I just bought them from Etsy and they came that colour, no paint applied! You can get all colours and sizes of quite cheap crystals like that, often for jewellery so you might need to strategically hide a hole.

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

NinjaDebugger posted:

The glass marble is from a Ramune bottle I got back in like 2014.

This is adorably painted and the use of the marble is fantastic and very playful, great stuff!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

iospace posted:

If you told me that wasn't a misprint, I would believe you. Fantastic work!

Becklespinax posted:

This is adorably painted and the use of the marble is fantastic and very playful, great stuff!

databasic posted:

HE IS ADORABLE AND I LOVE HIM :catstare: YOUR BLENDING WORK ON THE SMOKE FURLS IS MOST EXCELLENT ON SUCH A SMALL SCALE

Thanks, y'all. I really like gradients so it's one of the things I've practiced most. I'm only just now starting to really get NMM to work, but damned if it doesn't look loving sweet.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So I want a Gargantuan fire Elemental for my Humblewood game, but when I was originally looking about 2 years back, the price of the one from Hit Point Press was north of $60 or more, I don't remember the exact price but it was a lot.

So, the me from 2 years ago bought this Wizkids Huge Fire Elemental Lord from the clearance bin at the LGS for $10.

But it was much too small and slim to match what I was looking for from a Gargantuan fire Elemental. So I took up my trusty 120 watt hot glue gun and got to work

Hot tip: silicone laced Parchment paper is /the best/ material to do hot glue sculpting and such with, I did it on my glass craft mat and it was a nightmare to get the base unstuck. My self healing mats were similarly terrible, but using the Kirkland parchment paper over the glass mat was a winning combo.

I know it's not amazing or anything.. but it was fun to do and the beasty is much bigger now so I count saving all that money as a win! E: now that I'm looking at it closely in the pictures, I may do a bit more sculpting with the hot tip of the gun to clean up a few spots or something, idk

Now I have to paint the darned thing :negative:

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 23, 2024

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Mederlock posted:

So I want a Gargantuan fire Elemental for my Humblewood game, but when I was originally looking about 2 years back, the price of the one from Hit Point Press was north of $60 or more, I don't remember the exact price but it was a lot.

So, the me from 2 years ago bought this Wizkids Huge Fire Elemental Lord from the clearance bin at the LGS for $10.

But it was much too small and slim to match what I was looking for from a Gargantuan fire Elemental. So I took up my trusty 120 watt hot glue gun and got to work

Hot tip: silicone laced Parchment paper is /the best/ material to do hot glue sculpting and such with, I did it on my glass craft mat and it was a nightmare to get the base unstuck. My self healing mats were similarly terrible, but using the Kirkland parchment paper over the glass mat was a winning combo.

I know it's not amazing or anything.. but it was fun to do and the beasty is much bigger now so I count saving all that money as a win! E: now that I'm looking at it closely in the pictures, I may do a bit more sculpting with the hot tip of the gun to clean up a few spots or something, idk

Now I have to paint the darned thing :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azP3S-2YUfU

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
One of the games I keep putting off actually getting started back up is Malifaux. I put these Mannequins together with some of their lady zombies (there are a few, I can't remember which ones exactly) to make ones that look more in disrepair, like they wandered off from the fancy theater they're supposed to be hanging out in.

For reference, this is what the models look like as intended:

Also, did imgur change recently? It feels right like after I individually uploaded the first few images I posted here, that option just kind of... disappeared and I had to make these into a 'post' instead and now can't find a way to just copy-paste a proper link to each image rather than opening the image itself in a new tab and using that link.

All this to say apologies if I hosed up the pictures.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Parasol Prophet posted:

Also, did imgur change recently? It feels right like after I individually uploaded the first few images I posted here, that option just kind of... disappeared and I had to make these into a 'post' instead and now can't find a way to just copy-paste a proper link to each image rather than opening the image itself in a new tab and using that link.

Imgur's been weird for a while. They want to force people into 'communities' with posts and tags instead of just being a simple image hosting site. They removed a bunch of useful tools like the ability to order images by name etc. I normally end up using the right click 'copy image url' tool in browser rather than their links. Wouldn't surprise me if they went full photobucket and removed the ability to post elsewhere...

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

Imgur's been weird for a while. They want to force people into 'communities' with posts and tags instead of just being a simple image hosting site. They removed a bunch of useful tools like the ability to order images by name etc. I normally end up using the right click 'copy image url' tool in browser rather than their links. Wouldn't surprise me if they went full photobucket and removed the ability to post elsewhere...

Yeah they really killed my incentive to actually take and upload pics of my models.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I'm only used to posting miniature pictures directly to Instagram and such, so I'm unfamiliar with most if not all image hosting sites nowadays. It's been a while since mid-00's Photobucket.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

B-person posted:

I originally posted these in the painting thread but thought they might also be of interest in this thread.

Finding/making something unique and novel out of existing models and bits is definitely one of my favorite parts of the hobby.

I especially like these, and would love to know the components?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Hurray, kitbashes! I love kludging stuff together to make weirdos.

Rogue Trader Kill Team:

Kommando Nob:

Cultist Captain:

Icon Bearer:

Warpsmith:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I started making a WH40k army in the middle of the pandemic. I had two goals in mind when I started putting it together:
- Make something like the Praetorians, but American. So, themed to the Civil War/Gilded Age/lead-up to the Spanish-American War, with maybe a little WWI thrown in.
- Be cheap about it, or at least don't be more expensive than actually buying from Games Workshop.

With that in mind, I started by trying to kitbash spare Cadian lasgun bits with WWI German infantry bodies (I prefer the look of gaiters and leg wraps to plain pants) from Wargames Atlantic, plus pewter Civil War heads from Steve Barber Models:

I was never entirely happy with that combination of bits, though, and I've continually tinkered with the basic formula. Nowadays, I use lasgun knockoffs from Spellcrow, plus WWI British infantry bodies from Wargames Atlantic, along with still using heads from Steve Barber Models. I've even started experimenting with Krieg and Cadian Infantry variants that can still work with the same theme, since i have so many other spare bits from these boxes and similar experiments I've made:

The current basic infantry combination's worked out well enough price-wise. All those bits above, plus bases from Green Stuff World, comes to a price per model that's about 75% the price of standard Cadian Shock Troops from GW. I wouldn't mind getting that price down further, but I'm happy I'm at least beating the cost of standard GW kits.

I've tried to expand the theme to vehicles and heavy weapons as well. Did you know 1:48 scale model cars are just about the right size for a Sentinel's cab?

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 29, 2024

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Ofaloaf posted:

I've tried to expand the theme to vehicles and heavy weapons as well. Did you know 1:48 scale model cars are just about the right size for a Sentinel's cab?

lmao this rules

B-person
Oct 29, 2010

Failson posted:

I especially like these, and would love to know the components?

Thanks! They are a kind of frankensteined from a bunch of leftover kits. They all have torsos from the Genestealer Cult Neophyte Hybrids, but otherwise all have various heads, arms and legs.

Legs: Eisenkern Stormtroopers (Wargames Atlantic)
Arms: Warhammer Fantasy Empire Pistoliers, Cadian shock troops ( the new ones)
Head: Afghan Warriors (Wargames Atlantic)

Arms: Warhammer Fantasy Empire Greatswords
Head: Necromunda Underhive Outcasts Gang

Arms: Warhammer Fantasy Empire Pistoliers
Head (technically it's the torso): Genestealer Cult Atalan Jackals

Legs & Head: Broken Rabble (Spiral Arm Studios)
Arms: Catachan Command Squad

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

:five:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Excellent warham weirdos!

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Way way back I started myself a total conversion 40k project where I reimagined the T'au Empire as an independent human faction and essentially set about recreating the T'au model range without using any Tau models. I burned out of 40k at the start of 6th Ed when it was still in progress, and pulled them back out to continue during lockdown.

Currently working on a not-Farsight:

Roller Coast Guard fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 31, 2024

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
gonna start posting my chaos weirdos in here. in the meantime here's a WIP of a very hungry rhino's fanged maw

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

Plus my next two Squats

Shoehead posted:

Got 2 guys finished

Skull canopy guy!

Guy who loves the Hart Foundation!

I paint slowww

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
this is a repost but i need to sit down and take some pictures of other stuff

Cease to Hope posted:

eye know what you mean

this is my chaos eyecon for my possessed

this is my favorite of this unit but most of the others have more conversion work

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Anyone have any ideas on scratch building an obliterator arm? I used the right arm for my chaos lord and now the obliterator needs a replacement. I was thinking making a gatling gun or something out of plastic tube and just attaching it with a bunch of green stuff tentacles. Maybe I can find a big right arm in my pile of stuff, I dunno

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Super Waffle posted:

Anyone have any ideas on scratch building an obliterator arm? I used the right arm for my chaos lord and now the obliterator needs a replacement. I was thinking making a gatling gun or something out of plastic tube and just attaching it with a bunch of green stuff tentacles. Maybe I can find a big right arm in my pile of stuff, I dunno

generally I think trying to match the flow of the model and sculpting an arm rather than relying on tentacle masses to bridge from A to B is the way to go. even if it's just a rough armature and step two is covering it with miscellaneous gristle and teeth, having an underlying form to it helps composition

far as alternate parts, know anyone that plays Skaven? if you can scrounge some stormfiend arms they're basically the ideal size. alternatively spare helbrute guns fit like a glove

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

What's a good source for bits or proxy-bits, particularly as an Astra Militarum guy living in Europe? One unit missing from my army are Scions/Kasrkin, but I've been struggling to find either a good cheap source of hot-shot lasguns or something that looks like them including the power cables and packs. The packs and cables are what visually distinguishes them from standard lasguns, I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Cease to Hope posted:

this is a repost but i need to sit down and take some pictures of other stuff

this is my favorite of this unit but most of the others have more conversion work

I LOV HIM