Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Ofaloaf posted:

What's a good source for bits or proxy-bits, particularly as an Astra Militarum guy living in Europe? One unit missing from my army are Scions/Kasrkin, but I've been struggling to find either a good cheap source of hot-shot lasguns or something that looks like them including the power cables and packs. The packs and cables are what visually distinguishes them from standard lasguns, I feel.

Cheap is subjective, but for Europe there's Bits of War and their Sunbeam Rifles, over-under barreled laser guns, and their various Infantry Backpacks, pretty much any chunky backpacks can work, and making it look like the gun is connected to the backpacks with a green stuff/milliput mix moulded with Greenstuff World's Roll Maker, which can be set at an angle to make a diamond-shape imprinted cable.

A fancy looking gun, connected with a cable to a mass of luggage on the back of the figure is basically the outline of a Hot-Shot Lasgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
Turnip28 unit concept: The Bucket Brigade

I have a little bucket from some sprue so I made a push mold to reproduce a bunch of them. I'm thinking a little rope handle hanging under the chin will help sell it, and maybe for variety I can try and make soup pots or something on some of them.

Of course their commanding officer needs to have upgraded equipment

(Is it funnier if I don't give him eye holes?)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Davedave24 posted:

I have a little bucket from some sprue so I made a push mold to reproduce a bunch of them. I'm thinking a little rope handle hanging under the chin will help sell it, and maybe for variety I can try and make soup pots or something on some of them.

Of course their commanding officer needs to have upgraded equipment

(Is it funnier if I don't give him eye holes?)

Single offset eyehole with a glowing red LED inside

These look great!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Davedave24 posted:

I dig it. Serious Fobrush Man vibes.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Compromise: One eyehole, possibly with an oversized cork stuck in it.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

LashLightning posted:

Cheap is subjective, but for Europe there's Bits of War and their Sunbeam Rifles, over-under barreled laser guns, and their various Infantry Backpacks, pretty much any chunky backpacks can work, and making it look like the gun is connected to the backpacks with a green stuff/milliput mix moulded with Greenstuff World's Roll Maker, which can be set at an angle to make a diamond-shape imprinted cable.

A fancy looking gun, connected with a cable to a mass of luggage on the back of the figure is basically the outline of a Hot-Shot Lasgun.
Oh, the roller is a good shout! Thank you, I hadn't thought to look at GSW for options on the whole cable thing.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Definitely get the XL version, I have the smaller one and its great I just regret not getting the bigger one for longer cables!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I'm saving the rest of my minis for a finished post once they're painted, but this guy goes so loving hard, I couldn't not post it, ya know?

Here's how he was originally(Reaper Bloodhoof Minotaur), as well as the Grand Mace from one of the metal Reaper weapons sets

Re-posed him to fit a 1" base and change the weapon stance, used green stuff/milliput combined to shape the antlers (my first modelling epoxy project :negative:), cleaned up a lot of the warts in the molding, scarred him up pretty good, and converted the Mace to a Warhammer and added a spike to it. Added the "Emberbat" flying overhead because they were responsible for his village being burnt to the ground and they're what sparked his first rage as a barbarian, I'm not married to it though and might chop it off at some point.

I'm really fuckin stoked to paint this thicc fella :getin:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i hate needing to break out the half-millimeter drill to drill and pin things

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Got two imgur posts going up today, possibly three if the photo session with some Chaos Warriors goes good. I'll parcel em out so I'm not spamming the thread tho. Behold: Chaos Chosen of Khorne Squad 2

EDITED TO ADD: Two more galleries and a bonus guy
Kill Team Blooded Kitbash Stragglers

Chaos Warriors of Nurgle (Squad 1)

PLUS THIS GUY who will get a better picture when I paint him (probably)

sasha_d3ath fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 3, 2024

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cease to Hope posted:

i hate needing to break out the half-millimeter drill to drill and pin things

I pin things to paint em and I'm happy with it, but I sweat hard when it comes time to drill barrels if I really like the gun

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

this guy looks so bonked I love him

LurchinTard
Aug 25, 2022
what do you guys think could be fun to use a 1:48 Stalin III for? it seems to small to be used for anything, even astra militarum stuff but I still feel like it has some potential with plasticard. that hull is really cool and I'd like to use it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Grot tank

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
change the blade in your xacto knife

thank me later

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
crosspost:

Cease to Hope posted:

the painting comes later

I wanted some flamer rubrics for my CSM but I hate the actual rubric models, so instead these guys are just made of fire

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I've been messing with Greenstuff more and more lately, usually with gloves on, sometimes bare handed though I hate leaving thumb prints. But I have a question, is there any way to stop it being so drat sticky? I keep pulling parts of it off the model when I let go.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Dip your tools and fingers in water and it'll stick less

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I've also heard a small amount of unscented lotion on your fingers helps too

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Shoehead posted:

I've been messing with Greenstuff more and more lately, usually with gloves on, sometimes bare handed though I hate leaving thumb prints. But I have a question, is there any way to stop it being so drat sticky? I keep pulling parts of it off the model when I let go.

Lubricate your tools. You can use water (easy to clean, requires frequent reapplication), vaseline (wash off with isopropyl, needs to use a very small amount and lightly coat tools) or hand cream (similar to vaseline but smells better, gives you a moisturized back of your hand if you follow the tradition of sculptors keeping stuff on the back of their hands).

Let it sit a bit (5-10 minutes) so it loses some stickiness.

Mix in another putty, like Milliput or Apoxie Sculpt, to reduce stickiness.

I don’t do much kitbashing thanks to sculpting most of my own stuff these days, but I do have a ton of experience in how to make greenstuff work.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Mineral oil I find is better than Vaseline, it doesn't leave as much residue on the putty

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
water-based hand lotion takes longer to dry and generally does not leave residue at all

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
been whipping up some weirdos to fill out some CSM squads. pardon my :effort: photography.

"Heavy Melee Weapon" means basically whatever you want it to. Plus I thought my Anointed for Kill Team was kinda unexciting so I wanted a somewhat more obtrusive mutant guy.

Plus I had this leg/claw piece laying around and I wanted to use it.

I was also unhappy with my icon bearer for Kill Team, and needed some more icon guys for squads anyway. It's weird that there's this plague icon on the plague marine sprue but no actual option to add an icon to plague marine squads (although I do know that icon bearers are a separate character on the DG list).

The sorcerer is for the rubric squad I was working on with the flaming heads. I might try a flaming sword for him but I feel like it might just be too much detail. Plus I don't actually know how to do that yet.

Speaking of the flaming rubrics:

Adding armatures for flames felt kinda like cutting wicks but now I have a bunch of tiny jerks all flipping me off.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Forgot to follow up on what I did for my obliterators missing arm:

I luckily still had the shoulder pad, so I opted to keep it simple and used the claw arm from a Possessed unit I had floating around. Blob of green stuff to fill in gaps, and a green stuff cable. Very happy with how it turned out for such a simple conversion. I used a forgeworld Iron Hands upgrade head also.

LurchinTard
Aug 25, 2022

Cease to Hope posted:

been whipping up some weirdos to fill out some CSM squads. pardon my :effort: photography.

these guys are sick. love the mantis arm

I figured out what I'm gonna do with that IS-3. I just have to stop being sick and get to it.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Not-Stealth Suits made from Terminator torsos, Scout legs, and a bunch of other bits. Paint job isn't winning any awards but looks nicer than they did as bare plastic:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Does anyone know of a source for 3D printed various chaos bits and gubbins? They used to sell the Chaos Vehicle upgrade sprue separately but not anymore. Looking for spikes, chaos symbols, various mutilated body parts, etc.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
They understood that there was something older than wisdom, and it was fire, and something truer than words, and it was ashes.

I think I've got the fire looking a bit better.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Super Waffle posted:

Does anyone know of a source for 3D printed various chaos bits and gubbins? They used to sell the Chaos Vehicle upgrade sprue separately but not anymore. Looking for spikes, chaos symbols, various mutilated body parts, etc.

Wargame Exclusive has a very particular look and you'll love it or hate it. Kromlech and Spellcrow are nice. Pop Goes The Monkey is popular but expensive.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Cease to Hope posted:

They understood that there was something older than wisdom, and it was fire, and something truer than words, and it was ashes.

I think I've got the fire looking a bit better.

Ayy I'm fiya ova hya

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Super Waffle posted:

https://puppetswar.eu/ has some good stuff too. Not a lot of specifically chaos stuff, but they do have dead bodies.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

I've been working on this AoS warchanter to weirdboy conversion. Not sure if I'm going to put his spiky chest armor on or greenstuff something else. Still gotta make his staff longer and figure out how much wire I'm gonna leave sticking out of his head, but he's coming together nicely.

LurchinTard
Aug 25, 2022
really rough starting conversion of that IS-3 I bought. I'm gonna try and turn it into a one man space marine hover tankette, fast and mean. Main things I wanna fix is filling in the gaps between that ring and the turret with milliput, creating an actual chair with milliput from that leaning section, and also making it so a space marine can sit in it and not look like he's a baby in a full size car seat.
dual autocannons came from the age of darkness boxset, figured since I was gonna use the assault cannon they're fun kitbash fodder. Probably gonna pick through the other bones of the dread weapons and make stuff out of them too.

I'm intending to stat it with 3E Vehicle Design Rules.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hey hey did you guys know that Votann parts pair well with Arkanauts? You probably do but check him out

Just in the Blutak and pinning stage atm.

That's a lego crowbar as the jackhammer bit. I'm thinking of maybe doing a power hose but I'm pretty intimidated.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Small project today: Just some headswapped Soulsworn Questors

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Someone I follow on Instagram is having a little modelling competition

quote:

The time has come for the full #scumathon 2024 details!

The event will kick off on March 4th, and run through March 10th!

During that week, I challenge you to kitbash and convert your way through as many models as you can in the spirit of our beloved Hive Scum or other outsider & NPC models, including bounty hunters, mutants, scavvies, psykers, hive citizens, xenos outcasts, gang mascots, you name it. Check my previous Scum-A-Thon posts for those details, with further inspiration to come!

This is *not* a *painting* event, but a model building one! Keep ‘em gray, y’all!

The goal here is *quantity* over *quality*. Do not fret on gluing together your singular masterpiece! Use this opportunity to have fun making a bunch of odd models and hive weirdos with your less-than-sexy bits and partial sprues. Take risks, sharpen your skills, try out wild ideas, and make some magic happen.

I would encourage you to share all of your models and progress during that week! A strength of this community is our shared enthusiasm for all things cool, so let's get those feeds full of inspiration in real time!

There will be *prizes* for *five* specific categories:

Best in Show, chosen by the incredible @victor.tcvr
Best Xenos, selected by master of all things alien @modernsynthesist
Most Pathetic, which I will be picking myself 🙂
Most Arms, which is uh…whatever model has the most arms. GO FOR IT!
Wildest Weapon, which will come down to community vote. Get weird!

I will be funding prizes after some very kind rejections: $50ish USD as a giftcard to a hobby retailer in YOUR home country for Best in Show & Best Xenos, and $25ish each for the other three categories. WIth currency conversion weirdness, we will round in your favor and sort it out together!

I ask that anyone interested in competing for prizes message me with a photo of *up to one entry per category* by the end of March 12th (giving space for timezone weirdness and life getting in the way) so that I may compile them for the necessary parties. I hope to announce winners before Adepticon starts on March 20th!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2MXZ-Hu8vx/?igsh=MWNrZGR3eTJqbGR3

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Started a project to make an Unforgiven Gravis captain with the boltstorm loadout from the rifle model, which I think is a bit nicer.

Powerfist from an old accessory frame fitted to a gravis arm, to be modified with a plasma weapon fed from the backpack (leftover from the Eradicator kit) Removed the scabbard and going to remove the hilt too for an uncovered sword, and greenstuff the remaining tabard back. Might try to GS more detail the the shinguards too.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

What's a good source for bits or proxy-bits, particularly as an Astra Militarum guy living in Europe? One unit missing from my army are Scions/Kasrkin, but I've been struggling to find either a good cheap source of hot-shot lasguns or something that looks like them including the power cables and packs. The packs and cables are what visually distinguishes them from standard lasguns, I feel.
I ended up both getting my hands on proper bits, and trying to use third-party bits and some green stuff:

The guy on the left just has proper Scion arms and gun, but the guy on the right is holding an Improved Laser Gun from Spellcrow, and a little cable made with a roll maker set (ty lashlightning!). I've worked a little with green stuff and putty, but I'm not particularly good at it yet, so I didn't really know how to attach the thing other than sort of smooshing the end a little as I made it connect with a dot of super glue.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Been cracking into the Fellgor Ravagers kit and it's a delight- just swapping heads within the kit changes the character of the models, and doing a couple weapon swaps makes the models feel wonderfully my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
What a goodass kit